Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

podbaydoor

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

I think it's an internet joke.

Edit: 2/10 pagetopper
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Astronomy. The study of what happens when Cancer gets all up in your House of Aquarius. Wake up, sheeple! It's practically medicine!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Here is my rant:

Stupid Tillamook brand French Vanilla Bean yogurt container, why must you run out of delicious substance before I am sated? This is not cool.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Hmm, evidently school IS stressing me out. And evidently, I still get pimples at the age of 26.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Stupid fucking biologically inept whelps. Fucking dying because we cleaned your pond. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH YOU COST? And that you're not mine???? Well, I guess not, especially being dead and all.

On a related note, phone me for fuck's sake, landlord, so I can tell you and get it over with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also kind of sad for the dead fishies.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Hmm, evidently school IS stressing me out. And evidently, I still get pimples at the age of 26.

Don't say that. Please don't say that. Let me cling to the illusions of outgrowing zits like they told me in sex-ed in 9th grade.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure I'm growing *into* them at 20...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

First I've had in maybe 4 years... Front and center, tip 'o the nose. Good times, great day to be standing in front of a class and delivering two presentations.
Red honker too.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

I have about the same level of acne at 29 that I did in my teenage years. Granted I never had a real heavy acne problem. Fairly regular pimples, just not a lot of them.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Put on clown nose, honk at every third sentence.

The EGE wrote:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

"The researchers examined the base excision repair pathway as the key player in *honk*, by examining the following genes which they discovered were up regulated in primary germ cells, compared to the *honk*. To further elucidate the relationship between these *honk* inhibitors of Ape1 and Parp1 were used to demonstrate an increase in paternal pronuclei methylation. *honkhonk*"

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

You see how it would work? You get their attention with a hook, and you keep people from seeing your Rudolph Syndrome.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Oh man, new strategy for meetings.

"We're looking at a three day editing period for *honk*. Joe needs the times and dates for the Harvest event, can you get him the advance staff numbers? I'll be working on the *honk* exporting problems we've been having, we may need an upgrade of *honk*."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

This honking thing is especially amusing (maybe disturbing) as I just watched last week's Ugly Americans. There was this character that sort of made a catch phrase out of saying "honk" and grabbing his crotch. It caught on and people that liked him started doing the same thing.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

"Mr Deputy Speaker*honk*, this emergency Budget deals decisively with our country’s record debts. It pays for the past. *honk* And it plans for the future. *honk* It supports a strong enterprise-led recovery.*parp*
It rewards work. And it protects the most vulnerable in our society.*waq-waq-waq-waahhh*
Yes it is tough; but it is also fair.
*honk**honk*"
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Rant: "Is it ok if I put you on hold while I call the other line and see if I can get you connected to them?"

Why are you asking me this? You can't get them on the other line if you don't put me on hold, the phone doesn't work that way.

The EGE wrote:

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Next time just say "Yes, I do mind. Don't put me on hold, just connect me to them!"
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Rant: "Is it ok if I put you on hold while I call the other line and see if I can get you connected to them?"

Why are you asking me this? You can't get them on the other line if you don't put me on hold, the phone doesn't work that way.
Polite social grease? It's seen as better to ask permission to put someone on hold as opposed to telling them you're putting them on hold, regardless of the task that needs doing?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Stupid fucking biologically inept whelps. Fucking dying because we cleaned your pond. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH YOU COST? And that you're not mine???? Well, I guess not, especially being dead and all.

On a related note, phone me for fuck's sake, landlord, so I can tell you and get it over with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also kind of sad for the dead fishies.
Having also read your status on The Book of Face, I find it curious that exactly this was a plot point in a play I saw on Sunday. Except, in the play, the tenants neglected the fish because they were using the house for a grow op.

You're not running a grow op, are you?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Remember that scene in Fifth Element where he was asking her name? Where he wanted it shorter?

"Is it ok if I put you on hold while I call the other line and see if I can get you connected to them?"

or

"Hold please while I transfer you"

Which social grease is over the top, and which is a better use of everyone's time? Especially when the above was more along the lines of:

"Is it...uh...ok if I...uhm...put you on hold so I can...like...so I can call the other line...you know...so I can uh, see if I can get you connected to them?"

The EGE wrote:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Actually, one of my biggest phone pet peeves is when someone leaves a lengthy message about why I need to return their call, and after babbling for a period of time, they leave their phone number, which I likely miss and have to listen to the voice mail again.

Which is better:
"Hi, this is Rick, I'm calling on behalf ComCast and your router, if you need a replacement we'd be happy to do so free of charge as per your service agreement and should have a technician to you within a few days of establishing an appointment time. Feel free to call me back at numbernumbernumbernumber, thanks!"
or
"Hi this is Rick, numbernumbernumbernumer, I'm calling on behalf ComCast and your router, if you need a replacement we'd be happy to do so free of charge as per your service agreement and should have a technician to you within a few days of establishing an appointment time. Thanks!"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

I think the best thing to do is give the customer as little room to move as possible, so not giving them a choice is best.

I remember when I was working in the deli of a grocery store many years ago. I was helping a customer, and some bitch started barking at me (pun intended), and I said to her "I'll be right with you, ma'am." She proceeded to act offended by me calling her "Ma'am"

I hate customer service. I am glad I am done with it.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Actually, one of my biggest phone pet peeves is when someone leaves a lengthy message about why I need to return their call, and after babbling for a period of time, they leave their phone number, which I likely miss and have to listen to the voice mail again.

Which is better:
"Hi, this is Rick, I'm calling on behalf ComCast and your router, if you need a replacement we'd be happy to do so free of charge as per your service agreement and should have a technician to you within a few days of establishing an appointment time. Feel free to call me back at numbernumbernumbernumber, thanks!"
or
"Hi this is Rick, numbernumbernumbernumer, I'm calling on behalf ComCast and your router, if you need a replacement we'd be happy to do so free of charge as per your service agreement and should have a technician to you within a few days of establishing an appointment time. Thanks!"
I hate this. Especially since calls to voicemail aren't covered by my contract so I get charged a heap to listen to their message. My old landlady was really bad for this. Also for leaving multiple messages to my voicemail to find out things that I'd already told her.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I've gotten into the habit of repeating my phone number twice before I end the message. The whole "blah blah reach me at 555-555-5555.. that was 555-555-5555."

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

I say my number at the beginning and end of the message.

"Hi this is <DARK LORD V'TYHK> you can reach me at 503-867-5309, I was calling in regard to your mom being horrible in the sack. I think you need to get that checked out. Again, you can reach me <DARK LORD V'TYHK> at 503-867-5309, thanks."

The EGE wrote:

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

When I was getting my background check I had to call the Public Records Building 3 or 4 times to get all the information. There was no way to talk to a real person, so my only option was to listen to a recording spouting the street address, which plaza it is in, which building it is behind, when it is open, what I needed to bring, how much it costs and who they did and didn't serve. All in about 15 seconds.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Phoenixxl

Postby Phoenixxl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

I don't have an answering machine at all , not even my cellphone goes over to answering machine after a certain amount of beeps. When someone calls me from a phone that doesn't show it's number , mine doesn't even ring.

I want the option to not be there , and not need to hear what some people want to say to me.Not at that moment and not later. Letting it ring (i can mute it) forever so to speak. Having an answering machine , you have to get back to them , or at least acknowledge they said something if they talked on the thing. At the very least it broke due to some freak accident. No no no no , no more answering machines for me , no message after the beep , If I'm there and you're not blacklisted , I'll pick up . Before i go to bed everyone gets blacklisted. I never leave messages , unless there is absolutely no way to get past it.

I don't want to be available for everyone , at all times. I'm not a commodity.
Last edited by Phoenixxl on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

I agree, and certainly screen my calls, which is why I wish people had better message etiquette.
People should go "Hello, name, number, message, number, goodbye'

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 am UTC

Dash it all, just because we're students doesn't mean you shouldn't rent to us. I understand your reluctance, really, but there were some great prior landlord refs that came with us, and you saw us - did we look like party animals who would break things to you?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 am UTC

It is not reasonable to pressure me into eating pie in the late afternoon and then getting angry that I don't want dinner. I didn't even want the damn pie.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 am UTC

I need to take a typing test at 5000 keys per minute. Really? Last time I tried this I tried four times and barely made it to 4900, and my hand hurt after that. Not to mention I'm already a fast typer, there's no way your employees actually type that fast at work.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am UTC

Fuuuuuuck you, wisdom tooth. Stop ruining my week, advil can only do so much. I hope you get ripped out next week at the dentists.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 am UTC

Blarg. This was a shot in the dark, and she was very nice about it, and I don't even like her that much. My day shouldn't be this much ruined. Props past-Sam for deleting the texts, though.

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 am UTC

Phoenixxl wrote:No no no no , no more answering machines for me , no message after the beep , If I'm there and you're not blacklisted , I'll pick up . Before i go to bed everyone gets blacklisted. I never leave messages , unless there is absolutely no way to get past it.

Just record your outgoing message to the effect of "I never check this voicemail, so don't even bother leaving a message. If I wanted to speak to you I'd have answered."

Totally with you on the whole "Sometimes I want to be unreachable" thing. The mobile phone is the worst invention ever - and to anyone wanting to discuss their website with me, fucking email me, I'll get back to you when it's convenient for me, we'll both have a record of what was said, and it will still be quicker than playing phone tag.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:I need to take a typing test at 5000 keys per minute. Really? Last time I tried this I tried four times and barely made it to 4900, and my hand hurt after that. Not to mention I'm already a fast typer, there's no way your employees actually type that fast at work.

Wait, what? Is that a typo, or do they really expect you to hit 83 keys each second? I don't know if the computer would even respond that quickly.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

micco

Postby micco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

My stomach hurts so much. I think I'd better stop drinking so much coffee, or at least make it a bit milder.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:I need to take a typing test at 5000 keys per minute. Really? Last time I tried this I tried four times and barely made it to 4900, and my hand hurt after that. Not to mention I'm already a fast typer, there's no way your employees actually type that fast at work.

Wait, what? Is that a typo, or do they really expect you to hit 83 keys each second? I don't know if the computer would even respond that quickly.

Apparently the fastest typist in the world is somewhere around 215 words per minute. Unless those happen to all be 25 letter words I'm going to imagine there's some sort of typo in the above. 500 characters per minute would make more sense but is still absurdly fast.

Phoenixxl

Postby Phoenixxl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

.....at 5000 keys per minute.....

That's more than 2X as fast as my 1st modem !

666 baud ... that's an evil speed to type at !

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

Please don't call me, then put me on hold.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

I assume that this is a customer calling for service who did this?

The EGE wrote:

Return to “General”