Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Oregonaut

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Sucktastic. Have you considered survival blankets?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

I have a heavy overcoat, thick gloves and thick socks. I also have a tea-cosy style hat. They should see me through. But don't be surprised if you read in the papers about a young man from Bristol being found frozen solid inside an ice cube in the next few months.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Hot drinks and eat enough food to put a protective layer of blubber on.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

I do have a plentiful supply of pork pies and beer. Which is a shame because I was trying to lose weight over the summer, and was moderately successful at it. Oh well, time to undo all that hard work and put that blubber back on.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Yeah...that seems to go beyond sucky, that's survival. Is the insulation in your house up to scratch?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Is the insulation in your house up to scratch?

Nope.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

Blankets/other insulators (plastic sheets?) in the doorways and windows. That might help.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have a heavy overcoat, thick gloves and thick socks. I also have a tea-cosy style hat. They should see me through. But don't be surprised if you read in the papers about a young man from Bristol being found frozen solid inside an ice cube in the next few months.

When I was at UVM, I got drunk at a party and walked outside to piss and fell asleep in a snowbank. I'd probably be dead if a friend hadn't come out and been like "no, you can't sleep here" and dragged me inside.

Dear C. elegans; you better be expressing that dsDNA I gave you, because so help me, if you don't, I'm burning each and everyone of you with a heated wire. Or feeding you acid. Or freeze-thawing you rapidly.
EXPRESS! EXPRESS GODDAMN YOU!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

Or a nice protective layer of young women/men of low virtue?

The EGE wrote:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Or a nice protective layer of young women/men of low virtue?

Tried that, but don't have the funds to keep that going for the whole of winter.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

SlyReaper: What kind of heaters do you have? If you're anywhere not on the top floor, it might be worth looking at radiative heaters if you haven't. They're pretty crap at keeping the environment warm, but pretty decent at keeping you toasty. More typical convective heaters are only good if you can contain the heat properly.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

It was pretty shit last year, it got to the point I was sleeping in two sleeping bags of a night and was still waking up from the cold. You could try a Dog, they're like radiators that you feed with food, and also they can follow you around and tolerate huggles.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:00 am UTC

This reminds me of that time that I scraped off my windshield, drove to school with the heater on max, and when I got out of class at 4, I discovered that all the breathing I did on the way in had resulted in a thick coating of ice on the inside of the windshield. Which is curved such that my ice scraper was mostly useless.

Still better than the time there was freezing rain that was turning to ice as soon as it hit the windshield. I drove home with the window open so I could keep a three inch square scraped clear so I could see. Nothing better than driving on a bridge with your arm out the window scraping a tiny gap in the ice.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 am UTC

So you can't miss work or you'll not be able to afford rent, then 30 seconds later mention that you'd have to -dun dun duuunnnnn- use your student loan if you did. And that you've got over two grand left in the bank from last years student loan. So all that complaining is for nothing and you'll be just fine. Please stop whining, especially when you contradict yourself, it only comes across as attention seeking.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:02 am UTC

I hate campaign ads. I saw one today from the incumbent democrat senator saying that her republican opposition "Favors new oil drilling, which could threaten jobs!"

What? What? Umm... Just make the statement, don't back it up? Building an oil platform, and then maintaining the oil platform results in less people working? How?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I hate campaign ads. I saw one today from the incumbent democrat senator saying that her republican opposition "Favors new oil drilling, which could threaten jobs!"

What? What? Umm... Just make the statement, don't back it up? Building an oil platform, and then maintaining the oil platform results in less people working? How?
Logic? Within 100 miles of my political ads? NEVER!

It's worse when you see them EVERY. COMMERCIAL. BREAK. and they're REALLY. FUCKING. ANNOYING. Networks wonder why we just skip through commercial breaks with with DVR...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 am UTC

I will actually wait until a show is over before I watch it, just so I can skip through the commercials.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 am UTC

Overbearing in-laws make me RAGE. FFS LET YOUR SON MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS. HE'S A LEGAL ADULT.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 am UTC

Not really my rant but: Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann ® Minnesota became the first prominent Neocon to openly call for the violent overthrow of the Obama administration. Wait. What??! Are we just passing through reality on our way to somewhere more violent?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 am UTC

I realise my response to that lady should be something more concerned and terrified than "BWAHAHAHAHAHA good one" but I'm having difficulty.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 am UTC

I can read the words, and type in the reply box, but the only thing I can think is "She's a registered trademark now?" :|
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Parents fighting, super fun...
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Not really my rant but: Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann ® Minnesota became the first prominent Neocon to openly call for the violent overthrow of the Obama administration. Wait. What??! Are we just passing through reality on our way to somewhere more violent?

I know there are some nutjob republicans out there, but I don't exactly trust or think very highly of the writer of that article. I'm am sick of both the democrats and republicans... I would like to see some people with reason, who don't blindly follow their party, take over the house and senate. Democrats and Republicans are not polar opposites. They are both totalitarian-right, with a few issues to draw a distinction, yet they try and act like one party is made up of communists and the other of fascists.

Honestly, all the blogs just make things worse. An ideal media outlet would report everything without bias. Bloggers tend to read more like propaganda campaigns, and TV media in the US is just looking to get the biggest ratings and focusing on their target audience. We also seem to care more about what politicians do in their private life than what they actually stand for. Imagine how much flack a presidential candidate would get these days if he was *gasp* not married... If Sarah Palin was the republican candidate for president in 2012, and an unmarried man was the democrat candidate, I would guess that Sarah Palin would be elected president. Hell, I don't think it's even possible for an atheist president to be elected in this country.

Sorry to go off on a rant, I know this is not the place to do so.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 am UTC

But, but, it was in the uk Daily Mail yesterday. Oh, hang on, you're right. That means it's definitely bollocks. To be honest half my reason for posting the link was to gauge from people with a reasonable hold on reality (ie you lot) if there was any truth in the report. You'd hope even a rag like the Mail would put some effort into checking their sources.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:18 am UTC

Jumble wrote:But, but, it was in the uk Daily Mail yesterday. Oh, hang on, you're right. That means it's definitely bollocks. To be honest half my reason for posting the link was to gauge from people with a reasonable hold on reality (ie you lot) if there was any truth in the report. You'd hope even a rag like the Mail would put some effort into checking their sources.

My guess, is she said something similar, but it's been blown out of proportion. I don't know, and honestly I don't care. There is not going to be a revolution, and most conservatives would not be willing to take up arms because a democrat is president. What are they going to do, anyway? Get rid of democracy? Replace the president until the next election?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Thesh wrote:Honestly, all the blogs just make things worse. An ideal media outlet would report everything without bias. Bloggers tend to read more like propaganda campaigns...
I like that there are bloggers. It means we get a wider variety of bias than with just the papers / TV.

Australia currently has a single female athiest PM. :P

But yeah, fuck party discipline. One of the those things that makes democracy mostly a joke.

Also, fuck Newcastle buses. Fuck buses in general. Bah. My own idiot fault, though, I should know better. Almost missed a performance today (ended up making it with a minute or two to spare, luckily we started half an hour later than I thought.) My first mistake was assuming that the buses here would be something approximating reliable. My second mistake was assuming that the buses would be somewhat reliable. My third mistake was, yes, also assuming that buses would be reliable.

Fuck buses. And fuck poorly designed cities, and stupid urban planning design assumptions.

And "Garden Suburb"? Really? Such a stupid name I feel a little embarrased to have accidentally been driven through the place.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I like that there are bloggers. It means we get a wider variety of bias than with just the papers / TV.

They definitely have a place, but people who set up blogs to write politics generally have very strong viewpoints, and I have seen a lot of people looking towards blogs as their primary news source. It scares me. I think a lot of the crazies are being fueled by the blogs.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:This reminds me of that time that I scraped off my windshield, drove to school with the heater on max, and when I got out of class at 4, I discovered that all the breathing I did on the way in had resulted in a thick coating of ice on the inside of the windshield. Which is curved such that my ice scraper was mostly useless.

Still better than the time there was freezing rain that was turning to ice as soon as it hit the windshield. I drove home with the window open so I could keep a three inch square scraped clear so I could see. Nothing better than driving on a bridge with your arm out the window scraping a tiny gap in the ice.

One day I took a new route to work on a very cold day. I got into my car in the garage and headed out. I didn't think to turn on the defrost, because it wasn't needed in my garage. The windshield started getting really bad, then I hit a road and got rising sun directly on the frosted windshield. I was pretty much completely blind at 70 mph. I was fortunately able to pull over and let my car heat up. It was fairly scary though.

Michelle Bachman is pretty much crazy. She may not be advocating violent overthrow of the government, but she does take the crazy in politics to a new level. It's nice having her and Al Franken from here. We get a double dose of crazy, one from each side of the political spectrum.

More random thought than rant - did I leave my bedroom window open?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

An ideal media outlet would report everything without bias.

Rant: People who think this is possible. Or remotely easy to accomplish.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

Who decides to sell a flat two days after somebody has phoned and asked if they can come and see it and rent it from you? Why is it so fucking hard to get a flat?

I'm going to go and sit in the corner and feel like I fail as an adult some more.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:

I don't think it's possible to do at all. However, blogs are the farthest you can get from that, and people are starting to use them as their primary news source.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Somebody said it so it much be true!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:

I don't think it's possible to do at all. However, blogs are the farthest you can get from that, and people are starting to use them as their primary news source.

There's also people who use astrology as their primary decision making tool.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

I personally take my directions from the Mad Ocelot God in my head.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

That just makes sense.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

I like how the blogger firmly establishes their troll status in the comments:

Commenter (Robert) wrote:This is the most ridiculous, alarmist interpretation of an obviously hyperbolic statement I’ve ever read.

You need a reality check.

Blogger wrote:Obviously, hyperbolic yea that’s it, but then since you could not have possibly read her remarks since its a link to a video and not a statement I wonder how many guns you own Bob

That blogger sure outsmarted Bob!
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Fuck you, car. And especially the alternator that decided to die. When my dad had it happen, it ran about $500, but I'm pretty sure it's easier to find an alternator for an F150 than a 1990 Audi.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:

Actually, I don't think this is a terrible way to do things...provided that the reader has a critical mindset and does their own independent research to back up what they're reading. Niche bloggers, especially, are good for unearthing more obscure and regional/local stories that would be passed over by the larger "official" media outlets.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Actually, I don't think this is a terrible way to do things...provided that the reader has a critical mindset and does their own independent research to back up what they're reading.

I'm sure those people exist, but I am not sure they are a majority. I don't disagree with you on principle.

SecondTalon wrote:There's also people who use astrology as their primary decision making tool.

Fucking astronomers!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

What do people who study celestial happenings have to do with people who do idiotic cold readings of human nature?

The EGE wrote:

Return to “General”