Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Amarantha

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Amarantha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:*windows update rant*
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Is that XP still?
Ya, apparently there's a project to update the organisation to 7, but they're having trouble making it work with all the software we use. I'm looking forward to 7, although I know a couple of people who've had intermittent slowness/freezing/hanging issues since installing it.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 am UTC

There is way too much stuff going on right now and I don't have the mental capacity or patience to deal with it all. Gah. Now to go read my 200+ pages for tomorrow morning.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:*sigh*

Every time I hear my friend complain about the vulgar language people use around her, I want to go and launch into a tirade of cursing and innuendo. My self-moderation is starting to lose to my anger to her stupid passive-aggressive tactics.

Maybe you could memorize a tirade composed entirely of non-vulgar words that still manages to be incredibly insulting (or just type it on facebook). I used this method to great effect when my prudish aunt claimed that the only people who "resort" to cussing are of low intellect. Something like (just pulling SAT words out of my ass/google):

I consider your puerile aversion to vulgarity prohibitively tiresome. Peradventure you will ultimately surmount your sophomoric ways; meanwhile, might I propound the termination of our heretofore affability? Vulgarity is a commodious method of expression when one finds oneself choleric, peevish, and/or irascible.

I pray this vitriolic acerbity finds you bellicose. May a propitious bludgeon penetrate your posterior.
--
My mini-rant for the day, I received this gem of a message on OKCupid:

some dude in whom I have absolutely no interest after reading these sentences wrote:I found your profile funny and interesting at the same time. you use words that I had to look up(I hope it does not bother you).

And no, this is not someone for whom English is a second language (that would be understandable). Just another typical product of the American educational system. I had to go and double-check to make sure I wasn't busting out the thesaurus when I wrote that shit. The hardest word posted on my profile page is "proselytizing". Regardless, if a profile you're perusing fluently uses words you don't fucking understand, do you REALLY THINK you will be compatible with her??

Is there a derp face? Can there be a derp face? We should have a derp face.

Never mind, I've done one better:

Make that two better:

Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Shopping for cars is difficult. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:13 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Maybe you could memorize a tirade composed entirely of non-vulgar words that still manages to be incredibly insulting (or just type it on facebook).

Or this?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:24 am UTC

OBrien wrote:
meatyochre wrote:Maybe you could memorize a tirade composed entirely of non-vulgar words that still manages to be incredibly insulting (or just type it on facebook).

Or this?

Okay I can't see that site from work, but the URL makes me laugh. I just have this image of a T-Rex or a Velociraptor running around swearing.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Amarantha wrote:*windows update rant*
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Is that XP still?
Ya, apparently there's a project to update the organisation to 7, but they're having trouble making it work with all the software we use. I'm looking forward to 7, although I know a couple of people who've had intermittent slowness/freezing/hanging issues since installing it.

...Do you work where I work? Because we have the exact same problem here (except I'm an end-user bastard, not IT). I mean FFS, it's 2010 we're still using IE6 and have only just set up a wifi network! I don't even understand how we're still in business.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 am UTC

My new pc keeps BSOD when I try and play steam games. Bawwwwww

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 am UTC

My ex-best friend has tried to get in touch again. She does it every year or so and it pisses me off. She's the one that decided that it was ok to constantly arrange times to meet and then cancel them last minute and not even bother telling me. She's the one that ditched me more and more as we got older and only wanted to hang around when there was nobody else there for her. I'm just fed up of her trying to reinsert herself into my life every so often because she thinks she can just act like nothing changed and she refuses to take the hint that I'm still annoyed that she never once apologised. I'm so fucking tired of her trying to email or add me on facebook or whatever because it just brings up a whole heap of shitty memories.

...I do kind of enjoy the fact that my mum bumped into her mum at a supermarket and found out she didn't get into university anywhere and I got into what was her first choice of uni. I am aware this probably makes me a bad person but it helps me cope with this shit.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:38 am UTC

natraj wrote:I am pretty sure there is a special place in hell for bike thieves. :evil:

They don't always have to wait that long. Don't steal bikes, bro. (I almost feel bad for the guy, but seriously, stealing a bike messenger's bike will cost him hundreds of dollars between the cost of replacing it and lost wages, possibly even his job, especially in NYC.)

R-r-r-remix!
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

Teapot wrote: I am aware this probably makes me a bad person but it helps me cope with this shit.

It doesn't make you a bad person, just a person. From what I remember of you posting about her she deserves it. I really hate people that are obviously only wanting to meet up with you because there's no one else. I always try to keep in touch with my old friends (nearly all of them have moved away, gone to Uni, or just massively changed) fairly regularly because I don't want to seem like I'm just meeting them because there's no one else when they come back.

A crueller part of me thinks you should briefly talk to her and say you'll meet up, somewhere that would be a fairly long journey for her, then call to cancel 10 minutes before. But that's the cruel part of me that always has bad advice, I tend to ignore it.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

Rant: I Don't Like People Who Capitalize Every Word Of The Sentences They Write. Are They Trying To Be Extra Emphatic?
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Is there a derp face? Can there be a derp face? We should have a derp face.

Spoiler:

Late I know but couldn't resist.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

freaki

Postby freaki » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

I hate it when things directly affecting me and my life are taken out of my hands- for example, my school lost my ICT coursework for a course which is 100% coursework, as a result my life seemed to spiral out of control- now, of course, I'm doing forensics at college, but that was a last minute thing which almost didn't happen.
I'm at my worst when I feel like I have no control over my life. Luckily, I feel in control again.
Ever looked at the sky and thought "why?"
no?
me neither.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:Rant: I Don't Like People Who Capitalize Every Word Of The Sentences They Write. Are They Trying To Be Extra Emphatic?

Was that aimed at me? I don't think I did it did I?
Last edited by Sokh on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:Rant: I Don't Like People Who Capitalize Every Word Of The Sentences They Write. Are They Trying To Be Extra Emphatic?

I admit I do it when I'm making a phrase, usually along the lines of "This Sort Of Thing Where The Idea Is That It's A Comically Long Title Of Something Or Another."

Because I find it funny. I think I've mostly broken the habit I developed of capitalizing various nouns that didn't need it because I was emphasizing them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

It iS sTilL BetTEr thAn raNdOm cAPitAlIzaTiOn In WorDs.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I admit I do it when I'm making a phrase, usually along the lines of "This Sort Of Thing Where The Idea Is That It's A Comically Long Title Of Something Or Another."

Because I find it funny. I think I've mostly broken the habit I developed of capitalizing various nouns that didn't need it because I was emphasizing them.

I've a friend who alternates between random noun caps, and capping every word. He's not allowed MSN any more.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

I shall use this Cinnamon to increase the Taste of My Coffee.

The EGE wrote:

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:It iS sTilL BetTEr thAn raNdOm cAPitAlIzaTiOn In WorDs.

c4N B3 fUr1h3R D3Gen32a1Ed 8y 4dDinG nuM83rS.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Kang wrote:

w8. gts wrse with txt spk.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:
Kang wrote:
*stab*
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

I'm hoping that eventually people will write in full sentences again to be ironic. Not because it's proper or legible or anything, that would never catch on.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:
Kang wrote:

u cNt B SrS iTS wy b3ttR

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

Dear Light, what have I started?

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

Was that a rant or a prelude to one?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

Goddammit car, I will fucking kill you. Don't try telling me I can't kill a car, because it isn't alive. I am a firm believer that with enough white-hot rage, you can kill anything, even things that aren't alive. Especially things that aren't alive. So make your peace with Optimus Prime, car, because soon I euthanize you. With MORE FIRE THAN YOUR FRAME HAS ROOM FOR!
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

mandachan

Postby mandachan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

Skunked dog. Enough said. Near got kicked out of school 'cause of it.
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:16 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:

Every time I hear my friend complain about the vulgar language people use around her, I want to go and launch into a tirade of cursing and innuendo. My self-moderation is starting to lose to my anger to her stupid passive-aggressive tactics.

Maybe you could memorize a tirade composed entirely of non-vulgar words that still manages to be incredibly insulting (or just type it on facebook). I used this method to great effect when my prudish aunt claimed that the only people who "resort" to cussing are of low intellect. Something like (just pulling SAT words out of my ass/google):

I consider your puerile aversion to vulgarity prohibitively tiresome. Peradventure you will ultimately surmount your sophomoric ways; meanwhile, might I propound the termination of our heretofore affability? Vulgarity is a commodious method of expression when one finds oneself choleric, peevish, and/or irascible.

I pray this vitriolic acerbity finds you bellicose. May a propitious bludgeon penetrate your posterior.

I'm afraid I went a different path.

On the daily check-if-drama-coordinator-has-sent-messages-on-Facebook run, I passed by her complaints once more, now with a plea for people to validate the reasons they have for swearing.

It turns out that after 10 minutes of reading How Stuff Works and Wikipedia, one can make a pretty good argument.

Catharsis = <3

Now... to work. //_>
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:50 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:
meatyochre wrote:

I'm afraid I went a different path.

On the daily check-if-drama-coordinator-has-sent-messages-on-Facebook run, I passed by her complaints once more, now with a plea for people to validate the reasons they have for swearing.

It turns out that after 10 minutes of reading How Stuff Works and Wikipedia, one can make a pretty good argument.

Catharsis = <3

Now... to work. //_>

Turn it around, can you ask her what reason she has to complain about the swearing of others? Does she make a practice of cutting out entire swaths of the vocabulary of others?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Turn it around, can you ask her what reason she has to complain about the swearing of others?

Religion.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 am UTC

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find a number of theological works about how awesome swearing is.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 am UTC

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Christianity, in which case the bible only forbids taking the lord's name in vain. Nothing in there aboutno 'bloody f█████g ██████ wankers'.

If it's not that then the old fashioned "I don't expect you to follow <practice of my religion> so it seems hypocritical to make others follow yours"
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 am UTC

I forget the exact wording, but it prohibits "unclean language" or "foul language" or something like that. Or maybe it's something about unkind words.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Ya, apparently there's a project to update the organisation to 7, but they're having trouble making it work with all the software we use.
...Do you work where I work? Because we have the exact same problem here (except I'm an end-user bastard, not IT). I mean FFS, it's 2010 we're still using IE6 and have only just set up a wifi network! I don't even understand how we're still in business.
Nah, we've had wireless and IE8 for a few years now. Therefore, you have my sympathy, because I recall how much IE6 sarked. Luckily I'm able to install Chrome on my own workstation, but some of our internal sites and web-based applications only work in IE, so I have to IE-tab those ones. IE8 ftw.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Hawknc wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Ya, apparently there's a project to update the organisation to 7, but they're having trouble making it work with all the software we use.
Nah, we've had wireless and IE8 for a few years now. Therefore, you have my sympathy, because I recall how much IE6 sarked. Luckily I'm able to install Chrome on my own workstation, but some of our internal sites and web-based applications only work in IE, so I have to IE-tab those ones. IE8 ftw.
Wait... IE tab? That exists in chrome? I MUST DOWNLOAD THAT AT WORK. *runs to work... 8ish hours from now*

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Why the fuck did I leave all these forms and reading and other work till now? I'm going to be up for hours doing all this shit.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:44 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Why the fuck did I leave all these forms and reading and other work till now? I'm going to be up for hours doing all this shit.

You know, we really need to start a sort of support group on this.

So many of us get stuck on procrastination...

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:36 am UTC

Just woke up with a hangover and my laptop on standby with this page open and this rant half written:

Fuck you cunts hanging round the Birmingham gay quater at 2AM. Just because you asked for the time and I gave you a truthfl answer that you didn't want does NOT gie you liscence to say "No, I don't want to hear you speak I have to get up fr work at 7AM"> Who gives a shit? I have to get up fo work at 8AM you cunts. And if you shour "Oi! He has long hair! Oi Ozzy! Ozzy Osbourne!", please don't be suyrrprised when I don't turn around: I look nothing like Ozzy. His hair was even shorte than mine, darker and was straight rather than curly. An WE LOOK NOTING ALIKE!d besides hairt,

To contiue the rant in a better state of mind: ... which is completly different anyway. His is down to his chest, straight and black, mine is don to my navel, chocolate coloured and curly. I also have to add that they're cunts for insisting that they could convert two lesbian girls and insisting that they come back to theirs, to the point of harrasment, until their six or so mates turned up.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:I'm afraid I went a different path.

Catharsis = <3

Now... to work. //_>

The Ig Nobel Prize for peace has just been awarded to Richard Stevens for confirming that swearing relieves pain.

Return to “General”