Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 am UTC

My little cousin added me on Facebook: she's calcified in my memory as this obnoxious eight-year-old, but apparently she's had a few birthdays since then and appears to be around fourteen. She's made about thirty people her "siblings", and all her statuses are blatantly narcissistic (i.e., "I love getting friend requests"). Anyway I've gone through all my Facebook settings making sure she doesn't see any of my photos or updates (don't really want to have to explain "Jesus doesn't really love you he just wants you for sex" to her mother), but god damn teens are boggling creatures.
Last edited by Pez Dispens3r on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am UTC

Fuck fuck FUUUUUUUUUUCK. It looks like my attempts at human relations have gone horribly, horribly wrong. As per usual. FUUUUUUCKKKK.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:27 am UTC

:( *hug*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:35 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:My little cousin added me on Facebook: she's calcified in my memory as this obnoxious eighty-year-old.

That's a pretty old cousin!

I had something similar with some of my cousins - two of the younger girls were, for a long time, engraved in my memory at the age of 7 or 8 when they were completely uncontrollable brats (their mother, not so good with the mothering - that's a rant in itself that could go on for pages*). One was violent and the other was extremely clingy at that age - neither terribly endearing qualities. It was only a couple of years ago I realised they're now in their mid-late teens, and have grown into entirely reasonable young adults; I actually get on pretty well with them now.

*I'm really not sure how that woman manages to keep turning out kids who, in early-mid childhood look like they're going to be complete train-wrecks, but end up quite well adjusted and successful by their late teens; either way it's not a healthy process. Fortunately she's too old to have any more now.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Pez Dispens3r wrote:My little cousin added me on Facebook: she's calcified in my memory as this obnoxious eighty-year-old.

That's a pretty old cousin!

Touche.

Adacore wrote:*I'm really not sure how that woman manages to keep turning out kids who, in early-mid childhood look like they're going to be complete train-wrecks, but end up quite well adjusted and successful by their late teens; either way it's not a healthy process. Fortunately she's too old to have any more now.

It doesn't really surprise you, does it? Children always mimic their parents, teachers and role models. Then they become adolescents and start to perceive their parents as out-of-touch, and move away from them, taking more of their cues from their peers (who are going through the same process). And by the time they're adults they're completely changed. I mean, when I was a child I was this heavily-religious, asocial, self-important idiot, and these days I don't even believe in God.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Old office - open plan cube farm, maybe a dozen staff. Cramped, mouldy, cold, draughty, but socially tolerable. New office - open plan cube farm, over a hundred staff. Warm, clean and not as clamorous as I feared, since the cubes are quite high-walled and spacious. But 100 people, seriously? TOO. FUCKING. MANY.

Things I am already tired of:

* Men holding the door open for my uterus. Especially the lift door. THEY ARE FUCKING AUTOMATIC. My ladybrain can walk me through an automatic door without you valiantly throwing one arm against it and indicating my path of safest passage with the other. Also, my autistic arse does not want to get that close to you. Since I can apparently no longer be the last to leave a lift, I now try to stand right by the door and forge my own way out rather than have it forged for me.

* People who rush to hold doors open for everyone in order to be polite, but who have no sense of space or timing, and get in the way and hold everyone up just to show how polite they are. Just go through the goddamn door, we'll be right behind you.

* Awkward lift journeys with tenuous semi-acquaintances.

* Having to queue to use the damn sink. I JUST WANT SOME WATER IN MY MUG THIS SHOULD NOT TAKE TEN MINUTES. Also, kitchen roster, EW. I keep my own dishes in my desk so I know how clean they are and where they've been. No-one else has to touch them. So I should not have to touch other people's filthy dishes, THAT IS THE POINT.

*sigh*
I'm particularly aspie today. I think it's the head cold. And fucking winter.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

This is getting very annoying. My right shoulder has been sore for two weeks now. I've reduced how much I lift weights, reduced the amount of weight, and took 4 days off for vacation. Lifting isn't making it sore, but it being sore is now making it so I can't work out. I'm lazy enough as it is, I don't need an excuse to stop working out.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

^ I don't get the euphemisms, especially if I know neither about automatic doors nor automatic uteruses.

Oh no, I am extremely dirty. Am I the only one who thought it was a cervix door metaphor?

edit: ninjas!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Rant: discussing with my mother. I'm in the living room, watching the X-Files. All the blinds are closed, because otherwise the glare on the tv is extremely annoying. My mom is sitting outside. For some reason, she comes inside and demands that I open the blinds.

Me: Why?
Mom: Because I say so.
Me: But you're not even sitting here.
Mom: But there should be light in the house.

Also, she can't stand if somebody is doing nothing while she has to work. It's summer break, so most of the day, I'm doing nothing (well, I'm reading, watching movies and series, browsing the internet,... but in her book, that's doing nothing).
So she asked my dad if he could let me help with him. My dad says "fine", but because A. he thinks I should have the right to do mostly what I want and B. I really can't help that much, I don't really have to help that much.
Now my mom is pissed at both my dad and me because she has to work, and I don't.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:^ I don't get the euphemisms, especially if I know neither about automatic doors nor automatic uteruses.

Oh no, I am extremely dirty. Am I the only one who thought it was a cervix door metaphor?

You aren't the only one who went there. I was trying to figure out what kind of building permits Am has that she has a lift inside her ladyparts.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Rant: discussing with my mother. I'm in the living room, watching the X-Files. All the blinds are closed, because otherwise the glare on the tv is extremely annoying. My mom is sitting outside. For some reason, she comes inside and demands that I open the blinds.

Me: But you're not even sitting here.
Mom: But there should be light in the house.

Also, she can't stand if somebody is doing nothing while she has to work. It's summer break, so most of the day, I'm doing nothing (well, I'm reading, watching movies and series, browsing the internet,... but in her book, that's doing nothing).
So she asked my dad if he could let me help with him. My dad says "fine", but because A. he thinks I should have the right to do mostly what I want and B. I really can't help that much, I don't really have to help that much.
Now my mom is pissed at both my dad and me because she has to work, and I don't.

My mom made me go outside all summer clear up to when I left the house at age 18 and three-quarters. Consider yourself lucky you're allowed indoors :(

Pez Dispens3r wrote:My little cousin added me on Facebook: she's calcified in my memory as this obnoxious eight-year-old, but apparently she's had a few birthdays since then and appears to be around fourteen. She's made about thirty people her "siblings", and all her statuses are blatantly narcissistic (i.e., "I love getting friend requests"). Anyway I've gone through all my Facebook settings making sure she doesn't see any of my photos or updates (don't really want to have to explain "Jesus doesn't really love you he just wants you for sex" to her mother), but god damn teens are boggling creatures.

This happened to me just recently. I lost touch with my high school bestie and just made contact on facebook. I have memories of her sister being... I dunno, 11 or 12, extremely obnoxious, and her younger brother was 9 and similarly annoying.

Now her sister is in her third year of college, and her brother just graduated from high school! egads! They're all cool :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:...But 100 people, seriously? TOO. FUCKING. MANY....

* Having to queue to use the damn sink. I JUST WANT SOME WATER IN MY MUG THIS SHOULD NOT TAKE TEN MINUTES....

There's only one sink?

I'm sorry, but a sink-to-person ratio of 0.01 is just not okay.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 am UTC

Do y'all have water fountains and a microwave? You can get hot water quicker that way, maybe.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Things I am already tired of:

* Men holding the door open for my uterus. Especially the lift door. THEY ARE FUCKING AUTOMATIC. My ladybrain can walk me through an automatic door without you valiantly throwing one arm against it and indicating my path of safest passage with the other. Also, my autistic arse does not want to get that close to you. Since I can apparently no longer be the last to leave a lift, I now try to stand right by the door and forge my own way out rather than have it forged for me.

Well, lifts (or elevators, as we wacky Americans call them) do tend to slam their own doors shut and zoom off while people are trying to get in/out.

On the other hand...there's almost always a button that makes the door stay open. Which people rarely use, apparently because shoving the motorized touch-sensing doors so they open themselves is more manly and attention-getting. Maybe you should point out that button to the next guy who heroically pinches his arm with the door.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:^ I don't get the euphemisms, especially if I know neither about automatic doors nor automatic uteruses.

You aren't the only one who went there. I was trying to figure out what kind of building permits Am has that she has a lift inside her ladyparts.

I thought there was something wrong. The brain doesn't control the automatic door, hormones do!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 am UTC

There are several basins in the loos if you just want to wash your hands and can be bothered going out there, but there's only the one kitchen sink, which has both a mixer tap for washing things and a boiled/chilled drinking tap. And is right next to the (bloody awful) coffee machine. There are two microwaves, both of which are also hard to get at within a couple of hours of lunchtime.

The lifts must have light-sensors or something, because they re-open if you just wave your hand through. Or, you know, walk through :P Manly arms not needed.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

GOD DAMNIT STOP CHEWING YOUR FOOD LIKE YOU ARE A RETARDED TWO YEAR OLD EATING A WATERMELON SLICE BIGGER THAN ROSANNE BARR'S ASS!

CHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKSLURPCHOMPSLURPCHOMP

I WANT TO PUSH HIM THROUGH A WINDOW, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

Seriously though...I can't stand this sound.

The EGE wrote:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:GOD DAMNIT STOP CHEWING YOUR FOOD LIKE YOU ARE A RETARDED TWO YEAR OLD EATING A WATERMELON SLICE BIGGER THAN ROSANNE BARR'S ASS!

CHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKCHOMPSMACKSLURPCHOMPSLURPCHOMP

I WANT TO PUSH HIM THROUGH A WINDOW, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

Seriously though...I can't stand this sound.
It's even better in an elevator.

You and I, apparently, share a pet peeve.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I was fine with it when I could put my iQuit in and listen to Metallica at volume setting 11 during his mastication hour, but it was determined that this was unprofessional looking by the lady who works next to me, so she bothered her bosses until they caved and asked me if I would not do that.

But yeah, I have very, very few pet peeves, and that's the Grand Poobah High King Of The Hill Ass Kicker Of All Space And Time of them.

The EGE wrote:

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Yeah, I really don't like people who chew with their mouths open, and over-chew their food at the same time. My mothers new thing is to call me while she is eating. She was already a loud chewer/
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

I also despise people who eat with their mouth open. My roommate this past year was really cool and all except that he ate with his mouth open. It annoyed me so much. I think it might have something to do with the fact that he is Asian, I'm not being racist here or anything but ive noticed that the majority of my Asian friends (especially ones who were born somewhere in Asia) eat with their mouths open and eat really quickly. Maybe its just a coincidence though.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

Possibly? Different cultures is different.

... but it's probably just confirmation bias.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Yeah, well, fuck you all. If the Tasmanian branch is anything to go by, you're a group of lamentably disorganised idiots anyway.
Sapere aude.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 am UTC

facebook is gayyyyyyyyyyy why are my parents trying to add meeeee
uhhhh fuck.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:27 am UTC

*sigh*

I know that we've had this conversation on the fora tons of times before, but...

Please don't use the word gay as a pejorative. It's really annoying and deprecatory and really quite offensive.

Good?

Thanks.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

hemhhr

Postby hemhhr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:37 am UTC

I cannot stand that click or smack sound people make with their mouths in the middle of sentences, really strains my smile you know. And I feel bad about it, I wish I was okay with it and I'm more okay with it than I used to be. I can't rationalize it, so I feel bad for feeling it, but it annoys me.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:08 am UTC

Midnight wrote:facebook is gayyyyyyyyyyy why are my parents trying to add meeeee

//Adds "Midnight" to the list

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 am UTC

Midnight wrote:facebook is gayyyyyyyyyyy

It is interested in other social networking sites of the same gender? How would that even work? I mean, you could be using the word "gay" as an insult, but that would be bad and we wouldn't do that, would we?
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Link

Postby Link » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Hmm, the talk about annoying sounds reminded me: I freaking hate it when commercials are significantly louder than whatever you're watching. This is especially valid for Eurosport. One moment you're just casually watching sports, and the next you're pretty much up against the ceiling shouting "UNHOLY SON OF SATAN STOP THAT FREAKING NOISE" because the jingle starts unexpectedly at a volume that happens to be most disagreeable with your eardrums. It makes me want to break in to the house of whoever is responsible, while ze's sleeping, and using air horns on hir, bilaterally, within an inch of hir ears.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:56 am UTC

Baldur wrote:Yeah, I really don't like people who chew with their mouths open, and over-chew their food at the same time. My mothers new thing is to call me while she is eating. She was already a loud chewer/

I hate people who hate people who chew with their mouths open. They say that to me everytime, and noticing it doesn't help. When people notice, suddenly I can't control my loud chewing. It goes viciously.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

It's disgusting. Close your mouth.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I was fine with it when I could put my iQuit in and listen to Metallica at volume setting 11 during his mastication hour, but it was determined that this was unprofessional looking by the lady who works next to me, so she bothered her bosses until they caved and asked me if I would not do that.

But yeah, I have very, very few pet peeves, and that's the Grand Poobah High King Of The Hill Ass Kicker Of All Space And Time of them.

Have you tried bothering your boss(es) until they cave to let you either listen to music or possible reach some sort of compromise? If they can deem listening to music unprofessional would it be possible to deem destroying edibles with a mouth unclosed unprofessional?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

It's complaints like this that make me paranoid I'm a loud chewer. I chew with my mouth closed! I can't help it my lettuce has crunchy bits in it!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mike_Bson

Postby Mike_Bson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:How Homosexuals Should Be Burnt = VERY NOT FINE.

Wait, by ''No inflammatory posts'', do you mean that we can't have insulting posts, or ones actually involving fire?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

The fire one. There's some people with severe arsonphobia here.

To remain OT: my sister broke (scratched) one of my Friends-dvd's, and now it doesn't play properly anymore. But it's been to long since she had it to prove it was her. But it sure wasn't me. I don't just put my dvd's on the table without protection.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Err facebook, blocking me from sending messages rapidly even though both me and the person I was talking to was sending them fast. Just cause we use inbox doesnt mean we are spamming. We dont use facebook chat since she is an ex and we decided not to be friends anymore but to stay in touch. We were talking and happened to both be rapidly responding. I want to deactivate my acount more and more each day.
these are words
type, type, type

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 am UTC

I don't care about the world's tiniest open source violin. I want things to work. You guys (Ubuntu team) have been kind enough, presumably, to provide me what I need for this specific purpose. It would be nice if you would make sure it worked rather than leaving the user dumbfounded as to why it doesn't.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 am UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:I don't care about the world's tiniest open source violin. I want things to work. You guys (Ubuntu team) have been kind enough, presumably, to provide me what I need for this specific purpose. It would be nice if you would make sure it worked rather than leaving the user dumbfounded as to why it doesn't.

This is, and always will be, the reason open source operating systems like Ubuntu will never be as popular as Mac OS or Windows. It's not their fault really - all the popular hardware has proprietary drivers, all the popular video playback macguffins are closed-source, etc. So a philosophy of "everything open source, don't contiminate your computer with the vile closed source evil" results in things not working properly.

Might I suggest Linux Mint? It's like Ubuntu, but it's less anal about open source/closed source politics and it seems to work properly without too much twerking.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:57 am UTC

Not so, dear sir.

I have read that, of late, open source operating systems have begun to surpass closed source operating systems in compatibility.

And indeed, my issue has nothing to do with hardware. Ubuntu is even kind enough to inform you if there's a set of proprietary drivers it can handle that will work better with your setup, and there are, for my processor or graphics card, I forget which, though I can't use them currently because I have no way to connect to the internet on a modern laptop (I'm on 56K. Remember what modern laptops don't have?).

Rather, the issue here is entirely related to software and format wars, more directly related to the comic's .doc versus .odt - here though it's .ogg versus .mp3

I've been told to convert my nearly 3K song collection to .ogg to avoid issues, but you saw that number. I say nay. Ubuntu has a package titled ubuntu-restricted-extras which is the subject of my rant, as it basically says 'this will let you use common proprietary formats. No fuss.' Except, I installed it, and I still can't play .mp3 , as, according to the prepackaged media player, I need to download and install the mpeg-1 plugin.

As you see, my rant is about this particular disconnect.

Now, it's entirely likely that I am missing something obvious here and the package is working as intended, but they did not say that there would be any further steps beyond this.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:23 am UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:Now, it's entirely likely that I am missing something obvious here and the package is working as intended, but they did not say that there would be any further steps beyond this.

Hmmm. I don't recall having to do anything beyond downloading the restricted extras to get mp3s to work. It's been a little while though and I really should go to bed so I might not be trustworthy at the moment.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Return to “General”