Best place in America to live?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cephalus

Best place in America to live?

Postby Cephalus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:28 am UTC

I am currently living in the Midwest (Western WI to be specific) and quite incredibly over it. There is nothing tying me down at the moment - I'm working a dead end job, not in a relationship, not particularly caring about geographical closeness to my family, etc. - so I am planning on moving to, well, elsewhere.

I will be spending the summer working in Alaska, and should be able to save at least 6k dollars, which would make financial considerations for moving somewhat mute - that will be enough for 3 months rent, a security deposit, and a few months of living, giving myself a pretty big security blanket. As far as work is concerned, I would be looking for work as a waiter (and normally have no problem doing this. I have oodles of experience). This means I can pretty much get a job anywhere, that will pay the bills, without too much problem.

Which leads to the next question - where to move. The idea is to move now, while I have few attachments, to a place where I would want to live. Pick the best place to live in America, and just move there.

Considerations:
Financial. I'm not willing to move to NYC or LA, for example. Boston is probably high up on the "prices are scary" list, but not out of range (Bostonians, tell me if I'm wrong).

Climate: I'm not moving to the south. No Florida, no Texas, nothing below the Mason Dixon line. I do not like Oh me yarm hot summers. Not overly fond of massive snowfall or the likes - no Maine, no Alaska.

I'm looking for a City, at least 50k or so. Ideally with Culture - I like symphonies, I like art - but more importantly, a good live music scene. I like social drinking - but bars with atmosphere. Not frat bars, or nascar bars. Ideally a somewhat liberal political climate - think Madison, not Utah. College town atmosphere a plus. I'd like a large population of people near my age (24 at the time of the move), ideally a large intelligent population - you know the types.

I like Microbreweries and brew-pubs, The Decemberists and Flogging Molly, Pool and Soccer.

You are an Atheist, Liberal, Typical XKCDian. Where would you want to live?

Help me out, XKCD Fora. You are my only hope.
Lurker Extraordinaire

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Best place in America to live?

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Portland, Oregon
Santa Cruz, California (or thereabouts. Anywhere on the Central Coast/Bay Area)
Seattle, Washington
Taos, New Mexico (although that would probably be Oh me yarm HOT in the summer)

Boston has art, is a city with history but full of young people, is a great place. But is expensive as all hell and Oh me yarm hot in the summer as well as booger-freezing cold in the winter.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:38 am UTC

How about Boulder, CO? Great place, lots of interesting (different) kinds of people and things, and the Boulder area has roughly 250,000 people, so it isn't too small. It meets pretty much everything you said.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Eastern WI. Duh.

On a seriouser note, Boston and the Massachusetts area seems to be full of xkcdians.
Last edited by Shizo on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:39 am UTC

From my (veeeeeery limited) experience, the best city I can think of that matches your criteria is Seattle, although that may be pricier than you want.

What work are you doing in Alaska, if I may ask?

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Shizo> I know where you live. Or close enough :P

NyeGuy> I'm not a winter sports guy. Not a huge, ya know, winter guy. I'll be honest and say I know almost nothing about Colorado except that it gets snow, like, a lot.

mmx49> I'll be working as a Waiter for one of the Princess Wilderness Lodges, up in Denali State Park. (Which is, apparently, right next to Denali National Park).

PictureSarah> Portland has been pretty near the top of my list for a while. Affordable prices, good climate, good political climate, and apparently, a great city for beer. New Mexico is out, and for some reason I've been prejudiced against Cali, but I really know nothing about the Sante Cruz area.
Lurker Extraordinaire

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I know you said no Texas, but there's some good stuff in Addison that would fit most of what you're looking for with work (really nice restaurants that pay their staff really well) and prices are crazy cheap on everything from food to gas to housing. Also, Dallas has a decent music scene, some good museums, some great bars, decent number of close microbreweries, etc. And Dallas has colleges falling out of its ass. And the summers really aren't that bad, since it's a little drier here than where you probably are now, and people in Dallas run their AC 10 months out of the year. That's my pitch, throw it away at your leisure.

Also, grew up in/near Fort Wayne, IN. Also pretty cheap, has some decent culture (though not a ton, not much has happened there, historically), good restaurants, not south of the M-D line, etc. Not a college town, unfortunately, and I haven't lived there in something like 8 years, so I don't really know what the population looks like.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 am UTC

You sound like you've basically painted yourself into that corner known as the Pacific coast.

As an atypical XKCDian, I will now laugh because you're stuck in America. Hardy har har.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:13 am UTC

22/7 wrote:I know you said no Texas, but there's some good stuff in Addison that would fit most of what you're looking for with work (really nice restaurants that pay their staff really well) and prices are crazy cheap on everything from food to gas to housing. Also, Dallas has a decent music scene, some good museums, some great bars, decent number of close microbreweries, etc. And Dallas has colleges falling out of its ass. And the summers really aren't that bad, since it's a little drier here than where you probably are now, and people in Dallas run their AC 10 months out of the year. That's my pitch, throw it away at your leisure.

Also, grew up in/near Fort Wayne, IN. Also pretty cheap, has some decent culture (though not a ton, not much has happened there, historically), good restaurants, not south of the M-D line, etc. Not a college town, unfortunately, and I haven't lived there in something like 8 years, so I don't really know what the population looks like.

My big problem with the Dallas area is the, well, massive sprawl. The impression I got the one time I was there (Admittedly, quite a while ago) was that everything was spread out, making driving a must. How is the public transportation down there?

I'm not dismissing that area completely out of hand - it's just I've never been impressed by the Dallas area (other then what I remember as a marvelous airport). It does look like Addison would fit somewhat nicely, employment wise though. Between the climate, all the Texan's, the massive urban sprawl, etc, it just runs into a lot of negatives.

I've been in Fort Wayne - not impressed. Definetly not staying in the midwest, anyways.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Although it is south of the Mason-Dixon line, Charlottesville, VA is a great place from what I can tell. 60k people or so, decent public transportation, university in town, LOTS of artsy stuff etc.

Above the MD line...well sometimes Jersey isn't as bad as it's made out to be?
John Hancock

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Just get out of the Midwest. That's my goal.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 am UTC

My guess would be Seattle, but I've never been out that way so I can't say for sure. I don't mind being in the Midwest all that much, myself.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:30 am UTC

OK, after reviewing what is technically the Midwest, I should clarify that by Midwest, I'm referring to it's relatively vast rural areas. Most of my close relatives live in these rural areas, so I get often get stuck in "a small room with no walls."

I tend to forget that large urban areas such as Chicago are in the Midwest. It would be more tolerable if I could visit these places more often.
多么现在棕色母牛?

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Sounds like one of the cities in the Northwest would be a good fit for you.
The obvious choices are Seattle and Portland, but you might like the smaller, more collegey Olympia, WA or Eugene or Corvallis, OR.

If you like the idea of Seattle, but don't like Seattle's housing prices, you could live in Tacoma or Everett, WA. Both are sort of ugly-but-improving large cities, but they've got good public transit to and from Seattle. Gresham is a similar (I think?) town near Portland.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 am UTC

You definitely sound like you'd like the West Coast. It's like the East Coast but the weather is way better.

Cephalus wrote:Considerations:
Financial. I'm not willing to move to NYC or LA, for example. Boston is probably high up on the "prices are scary" list, but not out of range (Bostonians, tell me if I'm wrong).

One thing you should realize is that where the cost of living is higher, so are the wages. For example, in the city of San Francisco, minimum wage is over $9.00/hour. Things are different if you want to buy a house, but if you are renting you shouldn't let cost of living dissuade you- plenty of people manage to live in and around these cities with a wide range of incomes.

Climate: I'm not moving to the south. No Florida, no Texas, nothing below the Mason Dixon line. I do not like Oh me yarm hot summers. Not overly fond of massive snowfall or the likes - no Maine, no Alaska.

Disclaimer: All my advice is from personal experience so there are obviously other choices but this is what I know. Weather wise, you would like California. Never too hot: above 100F is extremely rare, above 90F is not that common either, summer temps are in the high 80s plus there is no humidity so the heat is more enjoyable than most other parts of the country. That's for SoCal (LA, Orange County area). Bay Area is a bit humid in summers, but average temperature year round is low enough that no one has air conditioners. And it never snows or even gets close to snowing. All bets are off in other parts of the state, of course.

I'm looking for a City, at least 50k or so. Ideally with Culture - I like symphonies, I like art - but more importantly, a good live music scene. I like social drinking - but bars with atmosphere. Not frat bars, or nascar bars. Ideally a somewhat liberal political climate - think Madison, not Utah. College town atmosphere a plus. I'd like a large population of people near my age (24 at the time of the move), ideally a large intelligent population - you know the types.

I like Microbreweries and brew-pubs, The Decemberists and Flogging Molly, Pool and Soccer.

You are an Atheist, Liberal, Typical XKCDian. Where would you want to live?

Again, I haven't exactly been everywhere, but it sounds like Berkeley might be a good fit. Anywhere in the Bay Area, actually, but particularly Berkeley because it is a local focal point of culture. Plus, there's the university so you've got the college atmosphere- a large, young, intelligent population. Music- Green Day and Credence Clearwater Revival were both created and rose to fame here in clubs and on the radio, and probably a lot of bands in between. Live music and bars aren't my thing and I don't have time for them anyway as I'm a student, but I know there's a pretty thriving scene in this city alone, and definitely in the rest of the Bay Area (which is very easily accessible from any point within).

Politics- well you've probably heard of Berkeley's politics. It's not as crazy as it used to be. In the Vietnam war era this place was a raging hot bed of protest and dissent, and back in those days thousands of students were protesting things like the right to free speech. Today, there's a guy sitting in a tree to demand democratization of the University of California Board of Regents. I know Berkeley has a lot of negative stereotypes, even for liberals, but like all stereotypes, reality is far more complex. Even hippies are becoming relics of the past; those that remain can basically be classified as "crazy people" and that would only result in a slightly higher than average quantity of crazy people in Berkeley.

There's also a sophisticated side to the place- wine tastings, symphonies, plays, museums, all that stuff.

The places where I would personally like to live, in order, are Southern California, the SF Bay Area, and Seattle.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Again, I haven't exactly been everywhere, but it sounds like Berkeley might be a good fit. Anywhere in the Bay Area, actually, but particularly Berkeley because it is a local focal point of culture. Plus, there's the university so you've got the college atmosphere- a large, young, intelligent population. Music- Green Day and Credence Clearwater Revival were both created and rose to fame here in clubs and on the radio, and probably a lot of bands in between. Live music and bars aren't my thing and I don't have time for them anyway as I'm a student, but I know there's a pretty thriving scene in this city alone, and definitely in the rest of the Bay Area (which is very easily accessible from any point within).

Just how good do you need to be to get into Berkeley as a transfer student? I may send an application next fall, and DAMN the fact that it's on the other side of the country from me.

I want my warm weather, smart people, and culture. I would actually have applied last year for freshman admission as my reach school, but the entire UC system has ridiculously early application dates compared to the rest of the country.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Haha, as soon as I read this, I was thinking "Seattle! Move here!" and then I saw that almost everyone had the same recommendation.

It's true. I have lived in and around the Seattle metropolitan area my entire life, and it is awesome. Seriously, I love it. Nerds on every corner (no, wait, that's Starbucks, but close enough) and the birthplace of music legends the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Nirvana (fine, Aberdeen), Death Cab For Cutie (Bellingham, close enough) and Modest Mouse (Issaquah, also close enough). We have an amazing music scene, an amazing coffee scene, and a pretty decent xkcd scene as far as I can tell.

We have the best seasons, too, regardless of the rumors about Seattle weather. Essentially it's grey/rain from October to December, then snow/rain from December to February, rain/sun from late February to May, and then three to four heart-stoppingly beautiful summer months of nonstop sun and perfect 80 temperatures.

It's hip, it's urban, and it sure is nerdy. Come to Seattle! PM me for more! (If not, then I support the other suggestions of Portland, OR, Boston, and the Bay Area).
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:03 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Just how good do you need to be to get into Berkeley as a transfer student? I may send an application next fall, and DAMN the fact that it's on the other side of the country from me.

I want my warm weather, smart people, and culture. I would actually have applied last year for freshman admission as my reach school, but the entire UC system has ridiculously early application dates compared to the rest of the country.

Well it is Berkeley, so you do need to be good. Probably straight A's or close to it? I wouldn't know, but I'll say that there are quite a few transfer students around, so it's probably not that hard to get in if you're qualified. One of the many benefits of large public schools.

There's also UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine which are all great places physically and great schools, but with varying degrees of culture.

kellsbells wrote:We have the best seasons, too, regardless of the rumors about Seattle weather. Essentially it's grey/rain from October to December, then snow/rain from December to February, rain/sun from late February to May, and then three to four heart-stoppingly beautiful summer months of nonstop sun and perfect 80 temperatures.

Yup, I was there this past summer and it was ridiculously beautiful. I was pleasantly surprised. Not as beautiful as looking out your window and seeing the entire San Francisco Bay, but close :P.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Madison, WI might be what you're looking for. The city feels big enough to be out of the rural areas, and unlike most of the Midwest, it is LiberalFriendlyTM. The music scene is very happening, and there are plenty of cool bars if you look for them. Housing is pretty affordable because of all the college students, and the campus atmosphere in general is amazing.

And we won't get earthquakes.

(I realize this might not be far enough away for you, but I feel compelled to post it. Seriously, it's a great city.)
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:27 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:OK, after reviewing what is technically the Midwest, I should clarify that by Midwest, I'm referring to it's relatively vast rural areas. Most of my close relatives live in these rural areas, so I get often get stuck in "a small room with no walls."

I tend to forget that large urban areas such as Chicago are in the Midwest. It would be more tolerable if I could visit these places more often.

I'm sorry, but Kentucky isn't in the Midwest? What the hell kind of definition is that?
Cephalus wrote:My big problem with the Dallas area is the, well, massive sprawl. The impression I got the one time I was there (Admittedly, quite a while ago) was that everything was spread out, making driving a must. How is the public transportation down there?

I'm not dismissing that area completely out of hand - it's just I've never been impressed by the Dallas area (other then what I remember as a marvelous airport). It does look like Addison would fit somewhat nicely, employment wise though. Between the climate, all the Texan's, the massive urban sprawl, etc, it just runs into a lot of negatives.
Well, yeah, it is pretty spread out, and I have to admit that it doesn't really bother me (I'm from a small town in rural Indiana, everything is at least a 10 minute drive, probably more like 15-20). That said, if you're closer to Dallas proper the need to drive decreases. I have quite a few friends who use public transit and (I've been told, I really have very little to base a value judgment on) it's apparently pretty good. Addison would probably be where you'd want to check out. It's a little younger, more professionals, that kind of thing. But yeah, I can see how some of that stuff could be an issue for you.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 am UTC

McCaber wrote:Madison, WI might be what you're looking for. The city feels big enough to be out of the rural areas, and unlike most of the Midwest, it is LiberalFriendlyTM. The music scene is very happening, and there are plenty of cool bars if you look for them. Housing is pretty affordable because of all the college students, and the campus atmosphere in general is amazing.

And we won't get earthquakes.

(I realize this might not be far enough away for you, but I feel compelled to post it. Seriously, it's a great city.)

I used to live at 140 E Gorham, and then 640 E. Johnson. I'm very familiar with Madison. It is the one place I would live if I stayed in the area - specially considering my brother is moving back there this summer for three years (the navy is sending him to school there).
Lurker Extraordinaire

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:15 am UTC

I'm joining in on the Seattle, maybe Portland train.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 am UTC

outside it?

*hides*

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

I live in Northern Virginia (the areas immediately outside DC) and love it, and I think you might, too, other than possibly the cost of living. It's technically below the Mason-Dixon, but let's be honest, that line barely counts for anything anymore, and definitely nothing around here. The climate's not too bad. Winter never got much below freezing this year and we only had a little snow. Summers can be hot, but not that bad (although I grew up in South Florida, so I'm a bit biased). The area as a whole is very liberal, and there's certainly plenty to do; a lot of it being free. Cost of living is pretty high, though. Not NYC high, but maybe comparable to Boston. My 2 bed, 1 bath apartment runs a total of $1950 per month, although utilities are reasonable.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Cephalus wrote:
22/7 wrote:I know you said no Texas, but there's some good stuff in Addison that would fit most of what you're looking for with work (really nice restaurants that pay their staff really well) and prices are crazy cheap on everything from food to gas to housing. Also, Dallas has a decent music scene, some good museums, some great bars, decent number of close microbreweries, etc. And Dallas has colleges falling out of its ass. And the summers really aren't that bad, since it's a little drier here than where you probably are now, and people in Dallas run their AC 10 months out of the year. That's my pitch, throw it away at your leisure.

My big problem with the Dallas area is the, well, massive sprawl. The impression I got the one time I was there (Admittedly, quite a while ago) was that everything was spread out, making driving a must. How is the public transportation down there?

I've been in Fort Wayne - not impressed. Definetly not staying in the midwest, anyways.

DART (dallas area rapid transit) is pretty terrifying. I'd take the rail into downtown but i will NEVER step foot on any of their actual buses again. ever. good thing i dont plan on living there ever again. 24 years was quite enough, thank you. It does have a decent music scene, museums and a ton of bars. Beware the reconstruction of Deep Ellum. Last time i checked, it was all going to hell.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Uh, Chicago.

Our winters are fairly cold, but nothing like the north-east, our summers are fairly hot and humid, but nothing like the south, down town is expensive, but no new york, we've got stuff to do, diversish neighborhoods (its the city that works!) and one pretty good brewery and a handful of alliance decent ones. I don't know what your profession is, so I can't comment on the job market, but there are two prestigious colleges here, so if anything academic or relating to academia is your thing, it's here.

Oh, our public transit is good (not londons or NYCs, but good), and the ENTIRE CITY IS A GRID, so you can't get lost.

Also, we have a lake.

EDIT: I'm going to keep going:

Our crime is down, education is up, we are a historical architectural hotbed, and we are the 3rd greenest city in America (EDIT: I keep finding conflicting sources for that ranking. So... We are a pretty green city, top 15)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I'm going to put one more in for western WA and OR. It can get a bit expensive but WA does have one of the highest minimum wages in the country but also the highest sales tax last time I checked. Don't think that its all just Seattle and Portland though. All of the major cities surrounding are good too, and you might be able to save money on living expenses if you choose to live in an area a bit farther away from the major cities, but still within reasonable driving distance.

The weather here isn't as bad as they say it is. I hear that NY gets more rain than Seattle does annually. We don't get much snow but last week while I was on spring break it snowed pretty heavily in my area. No one saw that coming. The summers aren't very hot either, except for maybe a week or two. But you can always expect a little rain all year long too.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Solt wrote:The places where I would personally like to live, in order, are Southern California, the SF Bay Area, and Seattle.

Uh, what? If you like Southern California, what makes you think you will like the bay area or Seattle? Vastly different climates and culture.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Seattle or Portland FTW. Also, live in Washington (no property tax) and do all your shopping in Oregon (no sales tax).
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

@trophy wrote:Seattle or Portland FTW. Also, live in Washington (no property tax) and do all your shopping in Oregon (no sales tax).

So.. you're saying Live in Vancouver, WA?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

As a resident of Boulder, CO, I say your fears of too much snow are unfounded. What happens is that it snows and then the next day it all melts. There's a lot of snow up in the mountains so if you like a lot of snow that's where you go. My winter sport is indoor soccer as I'm not a fan of repeatedly falling down a large hill with crap strapped to my feet. I would caution you not to move to Boulder, however. It's kind of expensive here. Not, obviously, as expensive as Seattle or The Bay Area but still... Better to move to some place like Broomfield or Louisville. Or even Longmont if your're desperate (cheap rent). Colorado is one of the best places in the U.S. for microbreweries. I know a guy who does publicity for Flogging Molly... and yeah... Looking again at your original post... you want to move to Boulder. heh.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I'm sorry, but Kentucky isn't in the Midwest? What the hell kind of definition is that?

A rough estimate. Almost no one in the Midwest agrees on which states should be included in the Midwest. Most people, when asked to outline the Midwest on a national map, draw the line closer to their own state than might actually be correct (I admit to doing this). The fact is, Kentucky is much more related to the Midwest than the South (I feel this way, anyway).

Maps showing different variations on the Midwest:
Spoiler:
This one is from Wikipedia. I've never thought West Virginia to be included.

Spoiler:
"The core states of the Midwest." Kentucky is included, but states like Missouri and Iowa are missing. WI, MI, IL, and OH I think could be a group on their own.

Spoiler:
This one has Texas and Oklahoma. Texas is usually regarded as part of the South. The same with Oklahoma, but that's only because no one really wants to claim Oklahoma.
多么现在棕色母牛?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

I completely agreed with the wikipedia map with the exception of Kentucky. Texas is certainly not in the Midwest, and Iowa most certainly is. The Dakota's, Nebraska, Kansas, all are. WV is not.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I define things more on culture than anything. WV has a lot more in common with rural PA than anything, so may as well make it Northeast. The Dakotas have little in common with the Midwest, and are Upper West, along with Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado. The other Four Corner states are the Southwest, along with Nevada. Personally, I consider Kentucky more South than anything.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Depends on where you are in Kentucky, really. Parts are South, parts are Midwest, parts are Northern.

Well, Ohioan, at any rate.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Too bad you said "no south." Excluding the south thing, Austin meets a lot of the criteria you were looking for. I was also going to suggest Madison, but you're probably itching to get out of the midwest. Hm. Seattle is cool.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Canada :P
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Canada :P

I was going to say that. So, I second it.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I define things more on culture than anything. WV has a lot more in common with rural PA than anything, so may as well make it Northeast. The Dakotas have little in common with the Midwest, and are Upper West, along with Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado. The other Four Corner states are the Southwest, along with Nevada. Personally, I consider Kentucky more South than anything.

I would agree with you about the Dakotas and the "Four Corner states" except that I put those all in the "mountain" region and California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington in the "Pacific" region. I understand that those aren't distinctions shared by everyone, however.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

akashra

Postby akashra » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

I've been beaten, but I'll say it again:
Canada.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Return to “General”