American

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: American

Postby 22/7 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:This has always bothered me too. Americans... it's like calling people in the United Kingdom something like "Kingdomers" or something. Just weird.
No, it's not. Not even a little bit.

kellsbells wrote:On the other hand, I knew an Australian person who, probably jokingly, referred to Americans constantly as usians. Like asians. I found it hilarious.
Except that, again, you're confusing continents and countries. Is that really so hard?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

I generally refer to people of the "America is the world, everything else is unimportant" mentality (only those from the US) as Americans. All others from the US as US civilian/citizen (as appropriate).

I am a US citizen and a Hoosier. I am not proud of either, but accept both as my "nationality"

Indiana -- Hoosier Just more proof that the name that describes the people does not have to match the place where they are from.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

People from south africa are called south africans.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ours

Postby Ours » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:Edit: Americans is like calling people in the United Kingdom something like "Britons," since it's the United States of America and the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Calling Americans "Statesers" or something is more like what you've described.

That rises the question to me, how you refer to citizens of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
People tend to say British, but that technically would leave out the Northern Irish since Great Britain only geographically refers to the eastern island consisting of Wales, England and Scotland as I know. (Although I doubt, that most Northern Irish would be bothered.)

Garm wrote:Could we be refered to as Amerikanischers instead? At least then we'd be tasty.

The thing to eat (some type of iced cookie) is called "Amerikaner" as well. I do not think, that it is tasty though.
"amerikanisch" (=american) would be the adjective. "amerikanischer" (=more american).

Indon

Postby Indon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

The USA is the only nation on an American continent with the word "America" in its' name. It's a rather intuitive shorthand.

kellsbells wrote:This has always bothered me too. Americans... it's like calling people in the United Kingdom something like "Kingdomers" or something. Just weird.

There is no intuitive shorthand in "The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales" or whatever order the country's full name is in.

It is kinda funny, though, that all three major North American nations all follow roughly the same federation-state model. It's a uniformity of government that is really only topped by Australia and Antarctica (which obviously each only have one government schema per continent).
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

Indon wrote:There is no intuitive shorthand in "The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales" or whatever order the country's full name is in.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales.

While "American" does seem a bit superior at times, I suppose that does fit. I usually stick to saying I am "from the States" instead, but no, there is no clear cut answer.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
22/7 wrote:
aetherson wrote:Interestingly enough, i've noticed that when traveling outside of the United States, when someone from Texas is asked where they're from, they generally say "Texas". People from other places in the US say "the States" or "America"...or Canada But that's just in my experience.

This is one of my least favorite things about Texas. We did an assignment in Australia and part of the assignment was "what country are you from". Everyone in our group from Texas wrote "Texas" and everyone from any other part of the US wrote "USA, the States, America", etc.

Texas : America's Quebec.

You callin' me a "Frenchie"? We don't like 'dem "Frenchie" types 'round 'ere :lol: ...(I know they aren't French. They're Quebecua...excuse my spelling... :) )
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

darren

Postby darren » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I hereby rename this country "Vespuccia", in honor of Amerigo Vespucci.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 am UTC

Sorry, but you've been ninja'd by Jon Stewart.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:02 am UTC

We could follow Phillip Pullman's example and call the entire country Texas.

I'm sure the rest of the county would like that.

Who are the people of the United Arab Emirates,by the way?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Azrael wrote:I think it's pretty simple. The name of our country ends with the word AMERICA. Thus ... "Americans".

Brazil -- Brazillians.
Peru -- Peruvians.
Canada -- Canadians.

etc.
It's really not that simple. Britons. French. Germans. Greeks. Zimbabweans. Tibetans. Chinese.

Wow, look at all these great trees! What'd'ya mean we're lost in a ginormous forest?

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:Because people from Canada are called Canadians, people from Mexico are called Mexicans, people from Guatemala are Guatemalan, and so on. We're not United States of American, we're not Civilians of USA, we're Americans.

Ah, yes. Thank you for getting it.

How often do you actually refer to them as a unit?

English
Irish
Welch
Scottish

Or, since the full name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ... is Britons really that bad?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Who are the people of the United Arab Emirates,by the way?

Arabians.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Aperfectring wrote:I generally refer to people of the "America is the world, everything else is unimportant" mentality (only those from the US) as Americans. All others from the US as US civilian/citizen (as appropriate).

I am a US citizen and a Hoosier. I am not proud of either, but accept both as my "nationality"

Indiana -- Hoosier Just more proof that the name that describes the people does not have to match the place where they are from.

Why are you ashamed to be a Hoosier?
Gharbad wrote:People from south africa are called south africans.
Are you planning on making a point some time soon?
Azrael wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:It's really not that simple. Britons. French. Germans. Greeks. Zimbabweans. Tibetans. Chinese.

Wow, look at all these great trees! What'd'ya mean we're lost in a ginormous forest?
Gawd, THANK YOU!

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Aperfectring wrote:I am a US citizen and a Hoosier. I am not proud of either, but accept both as my "nationality"

Well the first thing I should say is that I went to Purdue, so having to admit I am a Hoosier pains me greatly....
I am not ashamed of it, however. Maybe its that I had been drinking, but that must have been unclear. It is along the lines of I am neither proud nor ashamed of it. It is just where I came from. If I had been born in Florida, I would be a Floridian. Where I was born doesn't matter to me in the slightest.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Welchsh.

Fix'd.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Memo

Postby Memo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Aperfectring wrote:I generally refer to people of the "America is the world, everything else is unimportant" mentality (only those from the US) as Americans. All others from the US as US civilian/citizen (as appropriate).

As someone from 'South America' I do the same thing, although I use USian instead of 'US citizen/civilian'. This only applies in english, in spanish I use estadounidense (which could translate as United Statesian as someone suggested earlier in this thread, or USian) .

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Aperfectring wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Aperfectring wrote:I am a US citizen and a Hoosier. I am not proud of either, but accept both as my "nationality"

Well the first thing I should say is that I went to Purdue, so having to admit I am a Hoosier pains me greatly....
I am not ashamed of it, however. Maybe its that I had been drinking, but that must have been unclear. It is along the lines of I am neither proud nor ashamed of it. It is just where I came from. If I had been born in Florida, I would be a Floridian. Where I was born doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Oooooooohhh. I see. I didn't catch that, I thought you were just saying you hated being from Indiana.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am UTC

Americans is probably the only suitable one left.

That being said, relating to what I said in the other "America/U.S thread", everyone in the world should stop calling the U.S as America.

It's archaic. And those who are outside of the country are the worst perpetrators of this. There isn't any real harm in doing so, but everytime someone ever says it...it makes it sound like you're heading to the New World. America is two continents. There is a South and North America. The United States is a country inside America.

Same thing with people calling the U.K "England". Sure, England is a region and a "nation" within the U.K, but it stopped being three/four countries 300 years ago.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:52 am UTC

Except some people saying England mean, you know, England...

And actually, most people I talk to refer to "the States", not America.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Ditto

Or indeed the actual state they mean, if they're talking about somewhere specific.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

The Cosmic Fool wrote:Americans is probably the only suitable one left.

That being said, relating to what I said in the other "America/U.S thread", everyone in the world should stop calling the U.S as America.

It's archaic. And those who are outside of the country are the worst perpetrators of this. There isn't any real harm in doing so, but everytime someone ever says it...it makes it sound like you're heading to the New World. America is two continents. There is a South and North America. The United States is a country inside America.

Same thing with people calling the U.K "England". Sure, England is a region and a "nation" within the U.K, but it stopped being three/four countries 300 years ago.

Then no one is allowed to say they are headed to britain or the kingdom or whatever. There's really no difference between calling it America and calling it the states. Shouldn't Canadia be pissed off, and Mexico? They've got states too! I'm sorry, but this is a pretty trivial, worthless thing to be upset about.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:58 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:United States of America tells you a lot about our origins and our location--it is useful. Australia doesn't do that for you, but it does sound nice.

Austral?
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:17 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
The Cosmic Fool wrote: There's really no difference between calling it America and calling it the states. Shouldn't Canadia be pissed off, and Mexico? They've got states too! I'm sorry, but this is a pretty trivial, worthless thing to be upset about.

Canada has provinces not states. The States fits the US much better than America because that is actually part of the name of the country. The "of America" seems more like a way of describing where the United States are.

I always cringe a little when people refer to the US as America, the States is fewer syllables and more accurate. The term Americans bothers me slightly less because as had been said before, it is obvious shorthand.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I always cringe a little when people refer to the US as America, the States is fewer syllables and more accurate.

As I believe it was noted earlier in this thread, Mexico is in fact called, "The United Mexican States". That shorthand is applicable to Mexicans too.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:16 am UTC

I vote for 'mericans. Just drop the "A" and all of the sudden, thousands of southerners are actually speaking correctly.
*waggles eyebrows*

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Indon wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:I always cringe a little when people refer to the US as America, the States is fewer syllables and more accurate.

As I believe it was noted earlier in this thread, Mexico is in fact called, "The United Mexican States". That shorthand is applicable to Mexicans too.

But Mexico is more unique than America (it isn't a continent). The States isn't a good name but it is better than America (for the US).

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:The States fits the US much better than America because that is actually part of the name of the country. The "of America" seems more like a way of describing where the United States are.
ARE YOU ACTUALLY SAYING THAT "AMERICA" ISN'T PART OF THE NAME "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"? I'm sorry, but some things are retarded, and everyone knows that when retarded people don't understand something it's best to yell at them.

Azrael001 wrote:I always cringe a little when people refer to the US as America, the States is fewer syllables and more accurate. The term Americans bothers me slightly less because as had been said before, it is obvious shorthand.
How is it more accurate? Why is shorthand an issue? NUMEROUS examples of other countries using shorthand have already been given.
Azrael001 wrote:But Mexico is more unique than America (it isn't a continent). The States isn't a good name but it is better than America (for the US).
Oh, really? Point to the continent "America" on a map for me. Oh, right. IT'S NOT A CONTINENT. Come on, man. You've got no leg to stand on here.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I always cringe a little when people refer to the US as America, the States is fewer syllables and more accurate. The term Americans bothers me slightly less because as had been said before, it is obvious shorthand.

Who honestly gives two shits?

When you say "america" everyone knows what you're talking about. Nobody except whiny little pissant high schoolers cares whatsoever about this.

WHY DO YOU?

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Why do you care?

Srsly.
*waggles eyebrows*

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I'm not saying that America is not part of the name of the United States of America. It is just the least descriptive and accurate part of it. The country is called the UNITED STATES of America. It is like saying Joe of Toronto. Then calling Joe Toronto.

It has become part of the name because of constant use, but I would be willing to bet that you won't find any record of any founding father calling the United States America (I'm too lazy to look it up, hence the bet).

The Americas are North and South America, logically America is both of these continents taken as a whole. It is like Eurasia except not being one whole continental plate.

22/7 wrote:

How is it more accurate? Why is shorthand an issue? NUMEROUS examples of other countries using shorthand have already been given.

Shorthand isn't an issue. It is obvious which is why I ignore it.

Edit: Ninjad. I don't care all that much, it just bugs me a bit. It's like having a stack of papers that isn't stacked right, or a series of books on a shelf in the wrong order. It doesn't matter, but that doesn't stop me from caring. I am just giving my reasons, which unless I am mistaken is the whole point of the thread.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Bad troll is bad at trolling.
*waggles eyebrows*

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:38 am UTC

What?

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Not you, pandercolour.
*waggles eyebrows*

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:47 am UTC

America is the best, it gets the rights to the name "American."

Of course, everyone knows I'm referring to the U.S. when I mention America above, so pandercolour does have a point.

However, this does not mean it's without faults. It's just association with the word America. Add "North" or "South" to it, and then it becomes associated with continents rather than the country.

Tangent: is anyone else annoyed that there is this thread and another (here) that basically work on the same principle idea?
多么现在棕色母牛?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

In NZ, "the states" is pretty common. People from the states are yanks. Easy enough to say, but it confuses Americans because "yank" has various definitions in various places.

Then again, I'm from a country that lacks an adequate formal adjective. "Kiwi" is too informal. I like "New Zealandic" and I'm hoping it'll catch on, but mostly people just say "New Zealand" as a noun-in-apposition.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:In NZ, "the states" is pretty common. People from the states are yanks. Easy enough to say, but it confuses Americans because "yank" has various definitions in various places.

Yank (as I'm familiar with it), in the United States, refers more to anyone from the northern states during the Civil War. But I have heard it used as the broader generalization you mentioned (maybe because it was the "yanks" that won).
多么现在棕色母牛?

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Basically, most Americans will try to say that a Yank(ee) is someone from anywhere but where they are from...there's quite a good little thing about it, lemme see if I can find it...

But it's been around since at least the War of Independence to refer to the colonists (Yankee Doodle anyone?). During the Civil War, it referred to the Union states (and is still used by Southerners when talking about people from above the Mason-Dixen line)

Oh, here we go. Attributed to E.B. White:
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Yank is quite often used in a more derogatory manner, though it tends to be people from the South who are more offended by it (because they would never dream of having the term applied to them). There's also the (less prevalent) Septic (Tank) or Seppo coming from rhyming slang.

...I'm not sure where I'm going with this, so I'll leave it there.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Now that i think about it, i really don't identify with the country "America" as much as i do California, so yeah, i'm just goanna stick to calling myself a Californian.
*waggles eyebrows*

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Unistatsian?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I'm not saying that America is not part of the name of the United States of America. It is just the least descriptive and accurate part of it. The country is called the UNITED STATES of America. It is like saying Joe of Toronto. Then calling Joe Toronto.
First of all, I don't really have any issues with calling Joe Toronto. Some of my friends call me Indiana. Two guesses where I'm from.

Azrael001 wrote:It has become part of the name because of constant use, but I would be willing to bet that you won't find any record of any founding father calling the United States America (I'm too lazy to look it up, hence the bet).
No, it hasn't become part of the name because of constant use. It is a part of the name because the country was named that. And why does it matter what the founding fathers called the US?

Azrael001 wrote:The Americas are North and South America, logically America is both of these continents taken as a whole. It is like Eurasia except not being one whole continental plate.
I would disagree with this. The Americas is NA/SA. There are two of them, with two being plural, thus "The Americas".

Azrael wrote:
22/7 wrote:How is it more accurate? Why is shorthand an issue? NUMEROUS examples of other countries using shorthand have already been given.

Shorthand isn't an issue. It is obvious which is why I ignore it.
Ok, so how is "the states" more accurate?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “General”