Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xooll

Re: Confessional Thread - In Soviet Russia Thread Confession You

Postby xooll » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 am UTC

If I have ice, but no drink, I chew ice. It is pleasant and moderately thirst-quenching.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Zak

Postby Zak » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 am UTC

No! Next to having fights with them, crunching on ice cubes is the most fun you can have with them!

And i have a theory as to why you didn't get sick, because i do the same thing, except for a while there i had a problem with chewing on my nails and constantly had my hands in my mouth, i think that you just end up with a super intense immune system.
*waggles eyebrows*

libellule

Postby libellule » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Ugh. Ice sucks azz.
You people are just too nasty. I have to leave before I lose my appetite.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:13 am UTC

libellule wrote:@fossa:
To me it is. Along with the gum and toothpicks, it seems to be accepted usage here in the US, hence my original post about cultural differences with respect to ickiness. It seems many people here in the US are germ-phobic, much more so than in Europe, whereas I'm actually pretty easy-going about germs. I do bathe daily, and prefer not to touch very icky sticky things, but on the whole I don't really find shared common spaces repulsive. By most US standards, considering my lack of paranoia about touching money, door handles, stair rails, public swimming pools, and not washing my hands except before eating (and after using restroom), I should have succumbed to bacterial infections by now, yet I'm never sick.

Insert "You actually use your immune system, so it doesn't suck/antibacterial shit will destroy us all" rant here.

I think it's Rant #57. I may be mistaken. I always get that one and "What constitutes a reasonable listening volume at 2pm is nowhere near the same as a reasonable volume at 2am, asshole. Turn that shit down" mixed up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Oh, I know what you mean. Those two are so easy to get confused. I think you've got it right, though.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Just make sure you spray the volume knob with antibacterial stuff. That'll show 'em.

...I'm not sure who it will show, but someone.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Anonymous Mod wrote:whats jfgi?
JFGI (link)
I love the mods on this forum. Really I do.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:05 am UTC

xooll wrote:If I have ice, but no drink, I chew ice. It is pleasant and moderately thirst-quenching.

Reminds me of a Dimitri Martin joke where he wants just one piece of ice but gets a ton.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 am UTC

I kind of really want to email a bunch of inane questions with obvious, google-worthy answers to webmaster@justfuckinggoogleit.com now.
Ah, if only I were a spambot.

Zak

Postby Zak » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 am UTC

With a little work and some dedication, you too can one day become a spambot!
*waggles eyebrows*

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Man pretending to be a woman wrote:But I don't like spam.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:
Man pretending to be a woman wrote:But I don't like spam.
Vikings wrote:spam spam spam spam spam spam WONDERFUL SPAAAAAM

fix'd
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 am UTC

confession: the brain crush on my lit teacher keeps getting worse. i'm just waiting for the day he says something like "i'm sorry, i dont like william gibson" and shatters my world.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Confession: I frequently see thread titles that I want to parody, e.g., "I need a smile" becoming "I need a simile", and for a moment, I'm tempted to make the parody threads. But I don't need a simile. Needing a simile is like... um... hmm.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 am UTC

*sigh* confess..w/e you know what it is: So.. I'm broke.. I spent all my money, every dime. I was so pose to bus last night so I could get tips. yeah never happened they stuck me on dishes.. now I'm going to have to ask my Ex for money.. I have no money. Don't work till Monday. I'm so screwed.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 am UTC

what do you neeeeed money for? and what did you spend all your money on?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:00 am UTC

I need money so I can get a car.. I spent it on warm clothes and Food..
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:05 am UTC

just my opinion but i'd say go into as little debt as possible, especially with friends (including your ex). IF you've managed to exist without a car for this long, you should be able to work a little more, a little harder and hold out so you can do it all on your own. buying a car and keeping it gassed up is going to put a big enough dent in your pocket without owing someone else money on top of it.

this is, unless circumstances have changed and you are REQUIRED to have a car now. i cant see a very successful pizza guy using public transportation to make his deliveries, or whatever. good luck to ya, either way.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:11 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:just my opinion but i'd say go into as little debt as possible, especially with friends (including your ex). IF you've managed to exist without a car for this long, you should be able to work a little more, a little harder and hold out so you can do it all on your own. buying a car and keeping it gassed up is going to put a big enough dent in your pocket without owing someone else money on top of it.

this is, unless circumstances have changed and you are REQUIRED to have a car now. i cant see a very successful pizza guy using public transportation to make his deliveries, or whatever. good luck to ya, either way.

Thank You :)

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

xooll wrote:But I don't need a simile. Needing a simile is like... um... hmm.

xooll, this is fucking hilarious.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Its like needing a metaphor?

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Okay, I've been avoiding the confession thread, but I really need to write this down somewhere and try to get it out of my head- or at least let it exist somwhere else.

Mini-Confession: I have about as much social life as a week-old fish. With halitosis.

Confession 1: I just semi-deliberately drove off the one person whom I actually interact (AIM counts as social interaction, right?) with on a regular basis.

Confession 2: I'm still having trouble deciding if #1 is on the whole a good thing or a bad thing.

Confession 3: Just today, I got a Just Shy shirt from a family member as a present. I'm wondering now if I should wear it or if it would be false advertising; I'm not entirely sure that I'm not actually anti-social.

Confession 4: I haven't got a clue who I am. I spent my life up through high school focussing on either books or video games, and occasionally studies, and dismissing friendship as not worth it, for the most part. Then I spent the past three years pretty much alone, aside from family I'm stuck with; now I have this urge to have the socialization I never did earlier, but I know almost no one and have no clue where to start; I want to feel comfortable somewhere with some people, but I haven't felt like I belonged anywhere since my junior year of high school. I try to be a comp.sci. geek, but I haven't the knowledge; I try to be a theatre type, but I don't have the... passion for it, I guess.

Confession 5: I keep lurking around here, but my post count is so low, because I read the threads, see how clever people are, and I get overwhelmed a bit; in any case, I never feel like I have anything useful to say, and when I do say it. I feel like I do whenever I open my mouth IRL- like I've just made an absolutely ridiculous faux pas because of all the social rules I don't get, and probably people are going to permanently shun me now.

Okay, that's enough and probably way too much (Really mini confession: I'm much too tired and ought not to be posting when I'm not thinking straight), but five's a good number to stop on.fnord
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:58 am UTC

You're like i would be if I didn't have the humongous ego I do.
I get that feeling too, not quite that good at anything, a jack of all trades but a master of none if you will. But since I'm so convinced of my own greatness I tend not to bother and fake it till i make it. I have a social life by pure accident, since i met likeminded people in highschool, and by the fact that my ego needs sating, and i can't do that alone, need others to see me i suppose.
If there is anything i've really got it's self insight. And by your confession so do you. The only real tip i have is this:
You don't need to add new information to a person to have an interesting conversation. Social life is not based on skills, and you don't need an excuse to just talk to someone.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Kamikazee

Postby Kamikazee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

For about 3 months up unitl recently, ive been using alcohol to not so much solve problems, but forget about things and keep my mind off other stuff. Not alcoholic style, but always going out and drinking or chilling with a few mates. and at one point EVERY NIGHT for 2 weeks drinking scotch and playing 500 with 4 of my closest mates. Kinda realised i was drinking a bit too much, and for some of the wrong reasons, as realistically i had just been pretending to be ok about things....
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

@Kamikazee - If you're aware of that and can stop drinking (or even, deal with whatever the problems are) then you've got nothing to worry about. I did a similar thing, except without the social element (ie three months drinking alone every night.) Came a point where I decided to stop that and move on.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kamikazee

Postby Kamikazee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:31 am UTC

@JayDee - Yeah, i realised what i was doing as i went on holidays and kept up the habit of having a few drinks every night (except alone). Had 2 massive nights in the city around New Years with close friends, and some of the things i said and sent (sms), I realised I what I had been doing (avoidence).

The day you stop and look at yourself in a mirror and say "what the fk are you doing?" is the day to draw the line.

Nice quote from battlestar galactica
Tigh: (to Bulldog) Tell you a dirty little secret. The toughest part of getting played is losing your dignity. Feeling like you are not worth the oxygen you are sucking down. You get used to it. You start to believe it. You start to love it. It's like a bottle that never runs dry. You can keep reaching for it over and over and over again.
Adama: So how do you put that bottle away, Saul?
Tigh: I don't know. One day you just decide to get up and walk out of your room.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Speaking of sudden realizations...
Confession: I saw this image on PostSecret...and I stared at it for ten minutes, then cried for an hour, scared the whole time that someone would come into my room and find me like that, but unable to stop.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Speaking of sudden realizations...
Confession: I saw this image on PostSecret...and I stared at it for ten minutes, then cried for an hour, scared the whole time that someone would come into my room and find me like that, but unable to stop.

Confession: I followed the link, and was utterly disappointed. I expected something capable of bringing someone to tears for that length of time to be something like puppies being put to sleep or something. This only rated a 'meh' from me.

Confession 2: Last weekend, I ended up watching Land Before Time while taking care of a friend's kids. I was similarly dry-eyed throughout the entire movie. I'm forced to believe that even captcha bots have more of a soul than me.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Oh, perhaps I should explain. It was because seeing the postcard made me realize the exact same thing about someone *I* know. You might as well consider that the postcard was written by me. So it was the emotion behind suddenly realizing that someone in my family just...doesn't love me and hasn't for a long, long time.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:07 am UTC

I see. Yeah, that makes that postcard considerably more harsh.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Confession: First I told my self I'd stop looking at this board during the school year (it extends my procrastination abilities far beyond their normal range). I failed that. I said that I'd at the very least stop posting here, as my ego causes me to act like I know more than everyone, which leads to bad things. You can guess how I'm doing on that.

Confession: Yesterday I took a test to determine who'd be in the regionals for this contest-type thing for science club. I started on the math test (which I realized I'd never finish and was about to miss the activity bus), so I was in a hurry. Assuming my ego didn't alter my memory, I somehow got a 39/40 on the biology test. I should be happy... but I think I'm more disturbed. About a page and a half of answers I didn't know and had to take an educated guess. Another answer I only got right because of a random fact a girl in my English class mentioned the day before. I find it disturbing that I correctly guessed the names of things I've never even studied "animals X, Y and Z belong to which <taxonomic name that I don't even know the level of>," and the functions of parts of animals I didn't even know existed. I barely know anything specific about the competition, like if next week in science club we'll be taking the actual test (against other schools instead of the class), or if we'll be preparing for them or what. I don't know if I should start studying random topics so I don't come unprepared or wait for further instructions.

Confession: I don't even feel like finishing that above confession because a large part of it feels like I'm just bragging. This is confirmed by the fact that I don't want to delete it either.
(confession: I just finished it)

Confession: I'm pretty much useless. Before I'd spend my time studying, but doing nothing else. At the very least, at least it got my grades up. Now I feel no motivation to do even that, and only spend my time surfing the web. Though it hasn't effected my grade yet, if I don't get off my ass, they will drop by Monday, and I only have a semester left in highschool... damn senioritus.

Confession: I feel like the above confessions feel superficial compared to other things I want to confess. (all pretty much more about how much I hate my self and life)

Edit: Yay! It turns out my ego did alter my memory (39/50)
Last edited by UnderRock on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Confession: I've created several postcards for Post Secret, but I've never sent them. I always end up realizing that telling people won't make the problem go away, and in fact, the time spent addressing it in that manner would have been better spent trying to find a better solution.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:01 am UTC

I've never sent one in, but I think that maybe if you've gone that far you should just go with it. It could be a rewarding experience, and since you've already made the cards...

Confession: I was just reading the "state of nature thread." (That's not my confession.) They kept referring to hunter-gatherer societies as H/G societies and the practitioners as H/Gers. ...So it turns out even though I haven't read fanfic for like a year, it's still in my soul. (This is my confession -->) I can't stop reading it as Harry/Ginny societies and shippers. "Harry/Ginny shippers are nomadic. Harry/Ginny shippers must find more food." And I giggle.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Confession: I might have to stop updating my blog permanently in a couple of days due a potential conflict of interest with my new employer, and that makes me a sad panda.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Confession: I might have to stop updating my blog permanently in a couple of days due a potential conflict of interest with my new employer, and that makes me a sad panda.

Confession: I have always wondered if the warplane in your avatar runs on the fuels in your sig...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Not yet, but they're working on that.

Nimz

Re: Confessional Thread - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Postby Nimz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

I have a confession to make (actually, I have quite a few, as you can see by the length of this post). I waited to post on the confession thread until the minute the thread turned one year old. Yes. This thread is now a full year old, and not a minute less (according to the forum timecodes, anyway...). I wanted to be able to claim that I RTFT, but 3 weeks with schoolwork and social responsibilities getting in the way isn't enough time. As it is, I read the first mile (5280 posts - 5280 ft = 1 mi) within a week, but then everything I was putting off caught up with me. So I must, unfortunately, admit that currently this thread is still TL;DR. And then there are people like Pero (p 116) that did RTFT in just 2 days(ish) that make me look bad. Bleah. But then people like Jauss who posted on p 75 with 11 pages to go make me feel a little bit better.

I must confess that this thread actually had something useful for my outside-of-xkcd-responsibilities. I was able to use this site to find music for a project I just recently finished.

On page 5 something was mentioned about Johnny Cash and Reno Rhymes. Confession: I never knew there was a connection. Obviously I should look at the blag more often. Still no clue what song it's from, though. (I assume it's from a song, anyway). I'm the one person who, when watching that episode of Idol, had never heard the song "I walk the line" before.

I found the whole "has my train" thing amusing, though. I must have a strange mind because when I first read that phrase I didn't think about transportation, I thought about the trailing part of a dress. And I'm a guy (very definitely hetero, tyvm).

On a somewhat related note, VSM's ambiguous sexuality for some reason reminded me of the line near the beginning of Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door, where the lady in the store says "What are you?" *blows smoke from the gun* "Just a humble bounty hunter, ma'am."

Another thing that was mentioned earlier is dancing. I know how do some ballroom dance (East Coast Swing and Waltz, primarily), and I'd probably have a good time at it if I actually danced with someone. My parents took a ballroom dance class, and I picked up on some of it. They brought me with them when they went to a venue for the local swing band and I pretty much just played wallflower. A cute girl tried to get me to dance with her (all but dragged me onto the dance floor) but I was too shy. I can be such an idiot sometimes.

Confession: I skipped High School altogether. That is to say, I graduated High School before I started my freshman year at High School. It should be noted that although I was the youngest person in my graduating class, it wasn't by all that much. There was someone in my graduating class that was only about two weeks older that I.

A couple years ago I played a mpog that had an unofficial irc room that I frequently visited. It's a fairly small room - the highest attendance I ever saw there never went over 20 (including the bots, which usually remained silent). One of the other regulars there often claimed I was stealing his brainwaves because we would both come to the same conclusion at virtually the same time on many issues. We could finish each others' sentences even though we'd never met irl. It was freaky.

About a week ago I was looking at a book that one of my co-workers had laying around, so he brought it to me to read, since there wasn't a whole lot of actual work to be done right then. Hooray for being paid to read! Wait, that's not quite what I meant to say. I finished about half the book in the ~90 minutes we were sitting around, which impressed him. He asked if I was a speedreader. Truth be told, I can, but I wasn't. I could have finished the book easily if I had been speedreading. Speedreading is a skill I have that I underuse muchly.

Well, I should probably get around to finishing reading this emo thread. Not all today, but eventually. Hopefully there aren't 300 more new pages by the time I get to this post!
LOWA

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

xooll wrote:If I have ice, but no drink, I chew ice. It is pleasant and moderately thirst-quenching.

I do that almost every single time I have a drink with ice in it. I'm often actually kind of disappointed when I'm in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress comes to refill my drink and it still has ice in it.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Confession: I'm so sick of being called a "missionary" I could puke... Why, oh, why did *I* have to go the missions conference. *bangs head against wall*

Hey, AIM guys, see y'all Sunday night late.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

confession : I'm a wuss in all things. and when I say All things, I mean ALL THINGS
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Return to “General”