Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ameretrifle
Vera

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

I had an absentee ballot, and I looked all the candidates up, and I still don't feel like I made a really informed choice. Take your average person, busy, may or may not have a ballot at hand... for anything other than the 'biggest' races, that information is hard to get. Want to go dig through the PDFs of your local circuit court's decisions? Or just vote whether they'll be retained on something shallow? And it's not always easy even for the big races. Maybe it's a Florida thing, but we do not make "Informed voting" easy. I'm not sure we even make it possible.

Confession: I voted against one ballot initiative because at that point, giving citizens another obscure thing to vote on seemed pointless and counterproductive...

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

Honestly I also find it's not easy to be informed, even if I do look things up.

The one candidate that I actually found easy to follow summations of "here are my takes on X, Y and Z" (where those were areas I care about politically, and the candidate's views were ones I approve of) turned out to be running unopposed.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Things that are easy to find : That X's opponent's solution to all the problems is to take all of your money, give it to illegal immigrants in Mexico, and probably eats babies.
Things that are difficult to find : Just what the hell X is going to do instead of said money-taking, Mexican welfare and fine dining.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Yeah, in the 2004 election I did research on Kerry. I scoured his website for information on his positions or plans. I found almost nothing. It was vague platitudes about "making America better", and "improving education".

I should have saved all of it in case I want to run for office. It would be a great generic template for a politician.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

HI, Sexy!
I didn't vote either, because things got messed up with my absintee request, as previously mentioned on this page. but really, i'm just gunna meander on this way, out of america, to some place where they can't vote and i won't be shamed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 am UTC

I did my absentee ballot like a month ago. I started doing a bit of research, realised it was going to be a complete lesser of two evils choice, remembered that given the area I vote in and the whole absentee ballot system my vote would count for very little (if anything), and just went the easy option of filling in the one little party bubble at the side. (Though I was tempted to fill in each one individually, just because it was the first time they'd sent me a proper ballot instead of one they'd made themselves.)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

aaronasterling

Postby aaronasterling » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Sandry wrote:The one candidate that I actually found easy to follow summations of "here are my takes on X, Y and Z" (where those were areas I care about politically, and the candidate's views were ones I approve of) turned out to be running unopposed.

I wonder if running unopposed and being able to honestly express your positions are somehow related.

I also did not vote :(
Smarter than a chimpanzee

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Confession: I can't take it anymore. She said she loves me, I said I love her. And we really do. We care for each other, we are attracted to each other, we are friends. But why did she chose him? What makes him more than me? Is she afraid I will be different? Why did she choose to hurt me so much, so much... I am in pain, most of the time. I can't stand looking at her, afraid I will burst out in tears. I barely sleep. She barely sleeps. What is wrong? I feel broken and alone. We both feel like we're missing a part of ourselves. What am I going to do? Should I shut my mouth and feel the pain? Give up hope, and try to let time mend my mind. Or should I let her know how I feel? Should I ask her to choose again, to realise what she is throwing away, what we could have, what we could be? I don't know anything anymore.
I feel like shutting my eyes, and sleep 'till it's over. I feel like going away from everything. But I can't, I will throw away so many good things, friendships. I can't do that. I feel like an animal inside a cage. I feel like I am young again, helpless against authorities I could never fight. I can't, fucking, take this.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Dargon Cophe

Postby Dargon Cophe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Fun fact: My first girlfriend is now a stripper in Yuma.
EDIT: All the girls I like want to be fucking strippers. Whoo. Hoo.
Magnanimous wrote:
Dargon Cophe wrote:I am sick and tired of these motherfucking aliens on this motherfucking plain!
I love you.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Confession: I can't take it anymore. She said she loves me, I said I love her. And we really do. We care for each other, we are attracted to each other, we are friends. But why did she chose him? What makes him more than me? Is she afraid I will be different? Why did she choose to hurt me so much, so much... I am in pain, most of the time. I can't stand looking at her, afraid I will burst out in tears. I barely sleep. She barely sleeps. What is wrong? I feel broken and alone. We both feel like we're missing a part of ourselves. What am I going to do? Should I shut my mouth and feel the pain? Give up hope, and try to let time mend my mind. Or should I let her know how I feel? Should I ask her to choose again, to realise what she is throwing away, what we could have, what we could be? I don't know anything anymore.
I feel like shutting my eyes, and sleep 'till it's over. I feel like going away from everything. But I can't, I will throw away so many good things, friendships. I can't do that. I feel like an animal inside a cage. I feel like I am young again, helpless against authorities I could never fight. I can't, fucking, take this.

Is it irony that this very afternoon she told me she couldn't take it anymore either and that she is going to break up with aforementioned "him"? I guess it is. I'm just so happy right now. It's a sweet victory.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 am UTC

I wanted to vote, but my voter ID arrived 3 months ago with my name badly misspelled. I sent it back to be fixed and STILL haven't gotten it back.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:19 am UTC

Confession: To avoid being mocked by my Welsh family for excessive Englishness, I put on a Welsh accent around them. They think this is my normal voice.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:58 am UTC

Even though I was one of the very few who didn't end up with anything, I'm secretly hoping there will be another fora secret santa this year. It was really fun just thinking of a present last year & sending it overseas. I've been debating starting a thread myself, but I think it'd be a lot of co-ordinating ...
</rant>

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

I am having troubles remaining chipper about things. I have no job, I am no more employable than the next person with retail experience and I have no long-term prospects, either in career or education. As to further education, I have grades which are below the entry requirements for a lot of the courses I might want to do, which is another thing I am unsure about.

On top of that, I feel like I shouldn't complain about a lot of the things I feel crap about, as they are very minor problems, compared to others.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

ThinkSweet wrote:Even though I was one of the very few who didn't end up with anything, I'm secretly hoping there will be another fora secret santa this year. It was really fun just thinking of a present last year & sending it overseas. I've been debating starting a thread myself, but I think it'd be a lot of co-ordinating ...

Please oh please oh please do! I would REALLY love something like that.

Also, I'm really afraid that after all my soul-searching and work two years ago, Computer Science ISN'T something I'm very good at. I love learning it - but I love learning everything. College is expensive and I'm afraid to let more money drain away without getting a degree. I have zero work experience, and tons of anxiety.

Big confession: People (S.O., therapist, teachers, other family members) say my dad is a controlling abusive ass after me telling them about him/me/life but somehow I just can't see it. I feel like I'm still under his control sometimes, emotionally. It makes me feel guilty because my family and those important to me want so badly (as do I!) for me to be free of his malicious control.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 am UTC

Baldur wrote:On top of that, I feel like I shouldn't complain about a lot of the things I feel crap about, as they are very minor problems, compared to others.

But they're problems to you, and that's all anyone's got, right? Don't feel guilty* about being down about the shit that makes you feel down, that just isn't healthy.

*If you don't feel guilty then Yay, and disregard this post.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:04 am UTC

ThinkSweet wrote:Even though I was one of the very few who didn't end up with anything, I'm secretly hoping there will be another fora secret santa this year. It was really fun just thinking of a present last year & sending it overseas. I've been debating starting a thread myself, but I think it'd be a lot of co-ordinating ...

People agreed with me! :mrgreen:

So we're doing it! Keep your eyes peeled in a couple days :)
</rant>

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

It's nearly two weeks since I complained of having six assignments to do (being done with classes, and even now being done with exams) and I've only made it to the stage of now have five assignments to do, all plenty overdue. I did hand in one, yesterday. Overdue and rather a rush job (for all that I'm sure I'll get a decent mark for it.) Goddamn do I hate the fact that I don't give a shit, that I'm on more than my third consecutive day of "this is well overdue now, I'm just going to get something done and handed in. Something, anything, just today."
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Confession: I find the image in suffer-cait's avatar - a (nude?) woman in front of flames, incredibly sexy.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

confession: i'm totally wearing clothes in that pic. sorry.
ImageImageImageImageImage

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

Aaawww shucks
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Sometimes I get the intense urge to troll forums for websites/webcomics I visit, possibly due to my OCD. Whether or not I feel ashamed of these thoughts is related to how much I actually respect the members of those forums as well as the people running the site.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Sevenish

Postby Sevenish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 am UTC

I confess to inhaling 2 cups of chocolate pudding just now.. (strike one), while writing out my 'healthy' grocery list (strike two). D: I'll never learn.

greythought

Postby greythought » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 am UTC

I want a way out, to the point that I feel the only thing that will fully suffice is an interuniversal wormwhole....I read around forty webcomics, almost all being realities I much rather inhabit. To myself, I consider these last 19 years a life that hasn't at all felt filling, content like, and well bloody if I know... Most of my hopes have been dashed aside to the point that I don't really hope anymore, I'm not really living anymore, barely floating in this pool of concrete that I seem to forget what it's called. Don't really seem to feel much, just this constant feeling of fatigue that won't be banished.

I just want out.
Mind is in the Oort cloud.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Yeah, life feels like that to me a lot too. It may or may not improve! I dunno.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

softchews

Postby softchews » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

My confession? I sometimes wear embarrassing accessories under my school wear, just because I can!
And its fun! Well, until I get caught, but nobody is ever going to know........... :lol:

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

A friend of mine sings opera. This was before I knew him, but apparently at a recital (or whatever it is opera singers have) he wore a t-shirt that said something like "Queen of the fucking universe" under his tux.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Confession: I feel useless. I don't know why. But today I feel useless. Like I mean nothing, and can't do anything right. I stayed home and did nothing. Absolutely nothing. I had breakfast, watched some youtube videos, listened to some music and smoked a cigarette on the balcony. I should have a shower and do the dishes of yesterday, but I feel absolutely like crap.
:(

black rook in rainy weather

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Those days happen I Am Raven. It's o.k to be sad and unproductive some days. Those days are there so that happier days can happen too. *hugs*
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Confession: I feel useless. I don't know why. But today I feel useless. Like I mean nothing, and can't do anything right. I stayed home and did nothing. Absolutely nothing. I had breakfast, watched some youtube videos, listened to some music and smoked a cigarette on the balcony. I should have a shower and do the dishes of yesterday, but I feel absolutely like crap.
:(

Raven, you're awesome. I notice you amongst the thousands of people on this forum, and you seem pretty damn cool amongst the ones I notice. I don't think you're useless at all. :)
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Thanks guys! My girlfriend popped in the day after the previous post was posted, and she made me feel a lot better. But you just gave me an extra little warm feeling inside of me. Thanks. :)

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Confession: I had to put you down, XKCD Fora. I was wasting time that I genuinely could have been using better, so as to, well, not do all those unfun activities out in the world, like searching for a job. Unlike other places, this one is just too interesting to skim. So, uh, I'm going to try moderation, now.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Confession: I cried today, because I saw a really sad (but very, very good) short film. It's called Sint or Slint* or something like that, and is a CGI film made entirely of free software.

Anyway, reason for crying spoilered, because it's a major plot device. Heck, since it's a short film I'm basically giving away the plot.
Spoiler:
The film is about a young woman who finds a badly injured baby dragon, and nurses it back to health. She cares for it and it becomes a very beloved pet. One day, it learns how to fly, and they go on a joyful chase of each other through their city. However, an adult dragon comes swooping out of the sky and grabs the baby, taking it away.

The girl goes on a long trek to get it back, going through all sorts of lands and trouble. Finally, she gets to the cave, and sneaks past the adult dragon to get to the baby. However, the baby freaks out at her approach and squawks and flaps about, alerting the adult. The adult attacks her, and knocks her out. However, just before it kills her, it stops, gets a confused look, and sniffs her. She wakes up to find a dragon looming over her, and stabs it with her spear. However, as she is about to finish off the mortally wounded dragon, she sees it has a large scar on it's wing, the same that the baby has. She sees her reflection in the spreading dragon blood, and notices she has graying hair and some wrinkles. Her trip had taken much longer than she had thought, and the dragon that lay dieing before her, terrified, was the baby she had cared for. The final scene is her wandering away, depressed, discarding her equipment randomly, with the new baby scuttling after her, a ways back.

Even writing that made me tear up again.

*Edit: It's Sintel. It took me forever to remember it's name.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Confession: I cried today, because I saw a really sad (but very, very good) short film. It's called Sint or Slint* or something like that, and is a CGI film made entirely of free software.

Anyway, reason for crying spoilered, because it's a major plot device. Heck, since it's a short film I'm basically giving away the plot.
Spoiler:
The film is about a young woman who finds a badly injured baby dragon, and nurses it back to health. She cares for it and it becomes a very beloved pet. One day, it learns how to fly, and they go on a joyful chase of each other through their city. However, an adult dragon comes swooping out of the sky and grabs the baby, taking it away.

The girl goes on a long trek to get it back, going through all sorts of lands and trouble. Finally, she gets to the cave, and sneaks past the adult dragon to get to the baby. However, the baby freaks out at her approach and squawks and flaps about, alerting the adult. The adult attacks her, and knocks her out. However, just before it kills her, it stops, gets a confused look, and sniffs her. She wakes up to find a dragon looming over her, and stabs it with her spear. However, as she is about to finish off the mortally wounded dragon, she sees it has a large scar on it's wing, the same that the baby has. She sees her reflection in the spreading dragon blood, and notices she has graying hair and some wrinkles. Her trip had taken much longer than she had thought, and the dragon that lay dieing before her, terrified, was the baby she had cared for. The final scene is her wandering away, depressed, discarding her equipment randomly, with the new baby scuttling after her, a ways back.

Confession: You're not the only one who cried over Sintel.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:32 am UTC

nehpest wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:Confession: I cried today, because I saw a really sad (but very, very good) short film. It's called Sint or Slint* or something like that, and is a CGI film made entirely of free software.

Spoiler:

Confession: You're not the only one who cried over Sintel.

I don't doubt it. The ending to that film is a kick to the gut. Still, I felt closer to the characters in a 15-minute film than I have from 3-hour movies.

I don't think I even got as sad from the movie Up.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Confession: I bought Miracle Berry tablets for my office Yankee Swap thing. But I didn't reply on the e-mail saying I was participating. I just bought them so that if they think I am participating, I won't be that jerk without a gift but if they do it somewhere else without me, I get Miracle Berry tablets to myself.

I hope if it does become a present for someone that the office doesn't go "Wtf asian crap?"
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

My best friend's (ex, I guess) boyfriend just updated his relationship status on facebook to single and made a status update claiming he "doesn't want to be here any more".

Confession: My first thought was "Good, maybe now I can defriend him and not have to have my news feed spammed with posts about how being a vegan is awesome and how being anything else makes you the shittiest person alive". My second thought was "Now I don't have to learn how to make tasty vegan cupcakes in time for my party in January". It was only after that I thought "I wonder if my friend is ok?" I guess mainly because I didn't really expect the relationship to last long anyway, which probably makes me a bad friend but my friend has a habit of thinking it would be really awesome to be in a relationship with a guy and throwing herself into the relationship for a short while before deciding that she doesn't actually want to be in a relationship at all and that this guy is pretty bad for her. I just didn't want to have to pretend to like the guy for very long (I fully support my friend being with anyone that makes her happy but this guy was a whiny bastard and it was taking a lot of effort for me to find nice things to say about him).
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Teapot, he looked down upon Baldur's Gate and openly mocked it in front of me. He was clearly an un-person, with no soul.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

And next time - just hide him from your news feed. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:Teapot, he looked down upon Baldur's Gate and openly mocked it in front of me. He was clearly an un-person, with no soul.

What? You're sure he wasn't mocking the Dark Alliance games for the PS2? He was actually mocking the kickass Baldur's Gate?

This is unacceptable. Bring him before me, that I might rip out his soul.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Return to “General”