Growing a beard . . .

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gatesunder

Growing a beard . . .

Postby Gatesunder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:11 am UTC

Is there some way to do this that I don't know about? So I have to shave more with a razor or something? I'm 22 already and the only thing I can grow aside from pubic and underarm hair is a mustache and goatee. I have heard that shaving actually leads to facial hair growth. Is this true?
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...

JayDee

Re: Growing a beard . . .

Postby JayDee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:13 am UTC

Gatesunder wrote:Is there some way to do this that I don't know about?
Yes, yes there is. But if you think we will give away the secrets when you simply ask, you are mistaken.

EDIT: Sarcasm aside, I just found The Beard Community!
EDIT2: Which has a (broken) link to The Handlebar Club!
Last edited by JayDee on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:17 am UTC

JayDee wrote:
Yes, yes there is. But if you think we will give away the secrets when you simply ask, you are mistaken.

Basically you need to increase your manliness rating. First, you must read every page of the man thread in one sitting. With no pants on. Then you must consume copious quantities of bacon. You may wash said bacon down with healthy sips of bacon grease and bourbon.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:02 am UTC

I think it has something to do with snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails... but what would I know?
ImageImage

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Gatesunder wrote:Is there some way to do this that I don't know about? So I have to shave more with a razor or something? I'm 22 already and the only thing I can grow aside from pubic and underarm hair is a mustache and goatee. I have heard that shaving actually leads to facial hair growth. Is this true?

No, it's not. Shaving will just make all of your hairs new. It will look thicker for a while, but it will not get more thick/manly/luxuriant/hirsute if you shave a lot. You will most likely just get some skin problems related to shaving twice a day. (There is a longer explanation as to why shaving does not encourage hair growth, but it's late and I'm sick and chances are someone else can say it better)

I would wait and see what happens. Keep shaving, because small, wispy goatees and bromos just look stupid.

Or think about sex more. Increased levels of testosterone may lead to more facial hair.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 am UTC

If you want to grow a beard, just stop shaving. Simple as that. And yes, I have done this.

However, I have since gone back to being clean-shaven. It got itchy :?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Study manly things, pretty much the best way to do it.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:55 am UTC

Someone claimed in the man thread that eating wheat germ helps.

Personally I can grow a beard perfectly fine anyway, cause I'm obviously so manly, or something.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:If you want to grow a beard, just stop shaving. Simple as that. And yes, I have done this.

Quoted for samery. In truth I just can't be bothered shaving, so I now have something resembling the start of a beard. go me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

If the way you know about is "not shave" then, no.. there's not. Not everyone can grow a beard. It happens.

On the plus side, you can grow a goatee and mustache. I know of men who cannot grow even that much.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Hica

Postby Hica » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

I tried growing a beer this past month, but the stubborn thing just wouldn't fill in. It's a shame too, because you could tell my faux beard was dripping with potential. I'll have to stick with the goatee for now I suppose.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Hica wrote:I tried growing a beer this past month

This would be awesome.

As for the original question, some people just can't grow proper beards. You say you're 22, and that's not that old at all. I believe my dad couldn't grow a moustache or a goatee at that age, and was closer to 30 before he did.

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

i have found lazyness to be a good option.
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I feel your pain. My advice is to simply embrace the goatee, there are alot of advantages to having one of these things. For instance, when mine was still a true goatee total strangers would infrequently come up to me on the street and tell me that I looked very wise. Also, if you ever do something really malevolent you can shave the goatee off and claim that it was your evil twin that did it.

edit: spelling, coherence remains a lost cause
Last edited by Lycur on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I can't grow anything beyond a mustache and a very little goatee, the rest of my hair just grows in too uneven and spotty to look anything other than ridiculous.

Gatesunder

Postby Gatesunder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Lycur wrote:Also, if you ever do something really malevolent you can shave the goatee off and claim that it was your evil twin that did it.

Haha, I never thought of it that way . . . that is pure awesomeness . . .

On a side note I found it funny that the wikipedia entry for Beard has a picture of Richard Stallman and there is also a Wikipedia entry for something called the "Beard Liberation Front", which fights against discrimination against those with beards. They even have a beard of the year award . . .
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I can't grow anything beyond a mustache and a very little goatee, the rest of my hair just grows in too uneven and spotty to look anything other than ridiculous.

All of my face except my forehead and nose rapidly becomes covered in hair if I don't shave. And I can't grow a beard because of work. So you could borrow mine while I'm not using it.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Hica

Postby Hica » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:10 am UTC

The Spherical Cow wrote:
Hica wrote:I tried growing a beer this past month

This would be awesome.

As for the original question, some people just can't grow proper beards. You say you're 22, and that's not that old at all. I believe my dad couldn't grow a moustache or a goatee at that age, and was closer to 30 before he did.

haha crap. I guess it's easy to tell what I had on my mind at the time...

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Beard growth is related to genetics and testosterone levels. Beard thickness increases with age.

My Dad is 56 and still really can't grow a beard worth a damn. I'm 28 and am capable of growing a very thick one. My beard's thickness has increased steadily since I first became able to grow a "full" one around the age of 17. Before that, it was patchy and thin (and nonexistent prior to adolescence, of course).

There aren't any methods to increasing beard growth or thickness.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Solt wrote:
JayDee wrote:

Basically you need to increase your manliness rating. First, you must read every page of the man thread in one sitting. With no pants on. Then you must consume copious quantities of bacon. You may wash said bacon down with healthy sips of bacon grease and bourbon.

How about beef jerky and scotch?

Edit: Is there any way to make intermediate growth look good while not shaving to make a beard grow? Whenever I stop shaving I just get perpetual 5-o-clock shadow, it seems. I'm about 19. Feh. I want a beard.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 am UTC

They say that anything which increases testosterone levels will increase beard growth slightly. This includes thinking sexy thoughts, exercising, eating right, getting enough sleep, and anything else that tells your body, "now would be opportune for reproduction." Other than that, just get older. I myself am 23, and have been growing goatee and sideburns for a few years now. I can't grow anything else (at least not anything decent looking).

And no, shaving will not make it grow better; the "thicker" hair from shaving is just an illusion because you cut off the wispy ends of the hairs. However, those hairs can never reach full length (you cut them off remember) and when new hairs that can get that long start, then you're just back where you started. In keeping with the scientific spirit, I have actually experimentally verified this on my pubes (that sounds really weird to say, but as I'm not a nudest and not really sexually active, so no one would notice anyway), and there is now absolutely no noticeable difference between the patch I once kept shaved, and the rest.

Hope this helps.

koneko

Postby koneko » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 am UTC

@aleflamedyud: is your sig a hadag nachash reference?
ImageImage

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Solt wrote:
JayDee wrote:

How about beef jerky and scotch?

Edit: Is there any way to make intermediate growth look good while not shaving to make a beard grow? Whenever I stop shaving I just get perpetual 5-o-clock shadow, it seems. I'm about 19. Feh. I want a beard.

I'm 21 and it's still not coming in fully in the upper cheeks. It just takes some time.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am UTC

If thinking sexy thoughts helped make beards, I'd be a yeti.

I am, stupefyingly sexy thoughts aside, almost certainly not a yeti.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Memo

Postby Memo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:12 am UTC

I can grow a full beard but I tend to dislike it. However, I have a slight problem. I can't grow a circle beard (goatee + connected mustache). It fails to connect in my right side. Left side? No problem, maybe somewhat slower than the rest of my face, but it grows. Right side? Nothing at all besides some crazy hairs that make it even more obvious.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Gatesunder wrote:They even have a beard of the year award . . .

You haven't seen the World Beard And Moustache Championships?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Kabann wrote:If thinking sexy thoughts helped make beards, I'd be a yeti.

I am, stupefyingly sexy thoughts aside, almost certainly not a yeti.

It's a slight difference at best, but there is some experimental grounding to that statement (at least if the story I've heard is true). There was a fellow doing research out in some jungle somewhere far from home who went for the very short stubble look while doing his research. Being of scientific mindset, he measured all of his beard clippings on a high precision scale in the lab every day and recorded the numbers. Every time, in the week before he would return home to spend some quality time with his girlfriend, he noted a slight increase in beard mass. The only change in his living that he could account for causing it was thinking about his girlfriend (a likely causal link with testosterone levels). The difference is slight, and probably subject to some pretty heavily diminishing returns, but it's there. I would guess that lim sexythoughts -> inf = Yeti

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

At 17 I had a goatee. At 19 I had chops. I am 22 now and I still have the goatee but my mustache never really came in until this past year. It takes me about a week to get a beard. Think of it this way though, a lot of hair growth isn't exactly a good thing. If I want to stay clean shaven I need to shave every 12-24 hours, and the gap between the edge of my beard and the edge of my chest hair is about an inch.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Return to “General”