Please help me place this quote!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Please help me place this quote!

Postby superglucose » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 am UTC

it just stuck in my mind and I have no idea where it came from. If I just made it up on the spot, AWESOME! But I don't think I did. In fact, I'm 100% sure I found it somewhere (i suspected XKCD first) and I want to give credit where credit is due:

"Discovering how a thing works makes it no less wondrous."

Miles Invictus

Re: Please help me place this quote!

Postby Miles Invictus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:06 am UTC

Google does nothing.

It sounds like something Richard Feynman would say, though it's not attributed to him.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Isn't it Marie Curie or someone like that? one of the 20th century scientists? if not even Einstein?
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:02 am UTC

Iono, I really doubt I just made it up. I suppose it's TECHNICALLY possible but I doubt it. And I really love that quote. It was... in reference to science and reality. I know that much. It wasn't curie. It... might have been einstein? I'll look at wikiquote. Thanks for the help.

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am UTC

Ruins

Postby Ruins » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Feynman said something like that, not exactly sure on the wording. He got asked whether understanding how something works, in that particular case, a flower, would make the flower less enjoyable to observe. He replied saying: "No. Because I understand how it works, I can now look at it on two levels. Yours and mine"
Nothing is new, we just forget the old - me after doing my literature review

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Feynman, stuff from Wikiquote that might be applicable..

* Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is "mere". I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination — stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern — of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?

I have a friend who's an artist, and he sometimes takes a view which I don't agree with. He'll hold up a flower and say, "Look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree. But then he'll say, "I, as an artist, can see how beautiful a flower is. But you, as a scientist, take it all apart and it becomes dull." I think he's kind of nutty. [...] There are all kinds of interesting questions that come from a knowledge of science, which only adds to the excitement and mystery and awe of a flower. It only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 am UTC

These all remind me of

Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote:The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them.

though that's obviously not what you're looking for.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I feel like I heard an Einstein quote that was similar to that.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Return to “General”