At what ages have you experienced changes of faith?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

4 or younger
1%
1%
6-7
5%
8-9
5%
10-11
8%
12-14
20%
15-18
25%
19-23
13%
24-29
1%
30 or older
0%
Never
13%
Otter / Duck
8%

Total votes: 215

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:58 am UTC

I can not remember believing in God as a child. I have a vague recollection of thinking of Him as something like Santa, that it was silly to believe in. By the time I hit adolescence, however, I had adopted a more deistic view of things. At the age of 16 I decided I was agnostic, and am fairly sure (as sure as an agnostic can be) that that is where I will stay.

It has occurred to me that, since a fair number of forum members were born into "religious" families and later turned either to a more liberal form of belief or outright atheism or agnosticism, it might be interesting to see at what ages these changes occurrred.

The slightly strange cutoff points were an attempt to form an exponential progression, in the hope that this would roughly match the distribution of votes.

Feel free to relate experiences and hold open-ended discussions on the subject in this thread.
Last edited by Robin S on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

JayDee

Re: At what ages have you experienced changes of faith?

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:08 am UTC

I suspect my situation is fairly atypical. I was raised un-religious, and described myself as an atheist well into my teens. Then I had increasing interest in Christianity, started attending (Catholic) mass on occasion, and considered becoming a priest. Later I swung back the other way, although I still describe myself as somewhat Christian, nominally Catholic.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:24 am UTC

My childhood was spent as part of an involved Mormon household. We moved after elementary school, and didn't attend church for a number of years. During this time, I was still a Christian, though I hadn't really considered religion at that point. After I graduated from high school, I progressed from agnosticism to atheism. I still support religion, provided the beliefs and believers are somewhat in-touch with reality.

As an aside, my family left the Mormon church a few years ago, and I think they practice a non-denominational form of Christianity now. For a while, they were going to a Universal Unitarian church, but I don't think they go to church any more.

Dark Shikari

Postby Dark Shikari » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:33 am UTC

I've always been agnostic since I first considered the question, as I go by the logic that one cannot possibly prove God's existence (or non-existence), or more importantly, the existence of a particular brand or type of God. In particular, I've always strongly doubted the existence of a God exactly like the major religions portray Him; honestly, such a God would be pretty boring.

My "change of faith" wasn't a change in belief in God himself, but moreso a sort of perspective shift on the universe as a whole--realizing that despite my obsession with physics and the laws of nature, such things are only what reality appears to be, and do not necessarily say anything about its underlying nature. Indeed, for all we know we could be living in a simulation--or, for all we know, the universe was created 6000 years ago, 3 years ago, last Thursday, or even 5 minutes ago. Indeed, since I do not believe that our reality is absolute (that is, that there is no greater reality or level of existence), any creature from a technological level (or level of existence) far beyond ours could make everyone the human race has ever done seem completely meaningless.

Therefore, life has absolutely no meaning whatsoever, what we accomplish means nothing, and our job in life is to make things as interesting and enjoyable as possible for us and everyone else while we're here.

And hell, while we're at it, why not try to accomplish something anyways?

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am UTC

im not sure ive ever had a change of faith, though i 'came out' as agnostic when i was a bout 8 or 9.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Benny the Bear

Postby Benny the Bear » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:51 am UTC

I was a Christian between 10-11, lost faith, and then 13-14. I'd pray every night, but I was too ashamed to be different and ask if I could go to church (my family was atheist.)

Now, I'm 'hardcore atheist' if that's possible. I don't think I'll change again.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 am UTC

yeah, im basically agnostic, but i seem to have profound religious epiphanies every other week or so...
*waggles eyebrows*

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:28 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 1:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Most of my family is religious. Until my parents, who appear to have been religious at first, but then they raised me completely un-religious. For a while I pondered on what religious people saw in their religions, but quickly dismissed it as fairy tales.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:49 am UTC

I was brought up atheist. I've read the bible but I saw nothing to change my mind. I haven't explored any other religions but I doubt they would have any affect on me.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

I was raised in a very open, accepting church that I never had any problems with, but despite that, I sort of lost faith in the concept of Christianity some time in my teens. It just didn't make any damn sense, and I saw no reason to believe it over other religions other than the fact that I was born into it.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

Basically realised that religion was about as interesting as Goldilocks and the Three Bears at age 8 and will stay true to the bitter end to athiesm. REPRESENT

Daemonic

Postby Daemonic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

Dark Shikari wrote:I've always been agnostic since I first considered the question, as I go by the logic that one cannot possibly prove God's existence (or non-existence), or more importantly, the existence of a particular brand or type of God. In particular, I've always strongly doubted the existence of a God exactly like the major religions portray Him; honestly, such a God would be pretty boring.

Boring? The God of the Old Testament was a kick ass god, with fire and brimstone!

I'm pretty much apathetic towards personal religion. I could care less one way or another if there is a God.

I certainly don't need a church telling me how to live my life, my own internal moral compass does that. In fact, I quite abhor organized religion as a whole and think the world would be a better place if it was abolished (key word being organized... I do feel that everyone should have their own personal right to believe whatever the hell they want).

As for changing times, I'm a bit odd. I grew up in a family that was Anglican but went to a Catholic school. The inane contradictions between the two sort of lead me to question the whole God thing when I was young. I pretty much dumped God about when I hit high school... I became a pretty strong atheist at that point. I think now I've swung back more towards agnosticism, but frankly haven't given it much thought.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

From the ages of when-I-was-adopted to 10, I was raised fundamentalist Christian. In Britain. Did I actually believe at any point during that? I doubt it. But around the age of ten, I had a final nail moment, and became, as Mister Douglas Adams liked to say, a radical atheist, because I mean it. I don't mean agnostic or non-denominational, I mean mufuggin (I've been looking for a chance to use that) atheist.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Has anyone here read the Life of Pi? It brings up some good topics about religion, i dont really agree with them, but they are interesting nonetheless.
*waggles eyebrows*

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:...as Mister Douglas Adams liked to say, a radical atheist, because I mean it. I don't mean agnostic or non-denominational, I mean mufuggin (I've been looking for a chance to use that) atheist.

That's a really cool way of putting it.

TheKhakinator - mufuggin atheist for hire.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Raised Atheist, parents decided to try to convert the family to Catholocism at about age 12. I tried to go along with it at first, but had rejected the whole thing by 14, but wasn't allowed to stop attending services and RE Classes (despite rigorous protests) until about 16.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

Raised a Catholic, became an atheist at 14, nihilist at 15.

I flirted with a bunch of crap before deciding that logic would be my only guide.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I tried on Christianity from about 12-16 years old. Eventually we got into a discussion about evolution and I realized that I couldn't be a part of something that included so many closed-minded people. I was a total atheist for a while, but after really thinking about the concepts, I'm really more of an agnostic.

Here's my rational: The vast majority of animals cannot posses the mental facilities to comprehend the capabilities of the human mind. Why would humans assume that they are capable of understanding the nature of a higher power? I firmly believe that the human mind would be insufficient to comprehend the true nature of any diety, if one did exist, and therefore the question is unanswerable. I also feel that it seems a bit arogent to assume that we, as human, are the highest power that exists, even if my gut instinct is that it is true.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever believed in God. My grandparents work for their local cathedral and I think my dad was brought up going to church regularly, although I've never actually asked. He and his siblings were all choir members. But he never took me to church, and doesn't go now. Neither does my mum. There were no religious ornaments or talk of God in my house. I think I was just left to make up my own mind. We had prayers at school and religious songs, but I remember always looking round in prayers wondering what everyone else was doing, and I just liked the songs and never paid attention to what the lyrics were actually about. I don't remember ever having an epiphany. Although I guess I made the change from a passive atheist to an active one sometime during my teens. As for being agnostic, although I do accept the question can't really be answered, I agree with Isaac Asimov.

I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.
Last edited by cypherspace on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:I also feel that it seems a bit arogent to assume that we, as human, are the highest power that exists, even if my gut instinct is that it is true.

I wouldn't call it arrogant if all available evidence suggests it is true, though.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

I was Catholic until 11, then I got very deep into Christianity in my teen years. When I hit 16-17, I got out into the world a bit more, and discovered a lot of things that made me shed my faith. My mom is still convinced I will "come back to the flock" sometime in my life.

Sorry, mom.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

proof_man wrote:i've always been religious. nothing sexy...just catholicism. i know all the arguments against religion, how ridiculous it seems to believe in the eucharist, and about the injustices committed by the church. all my friends from childhood have had changes in faith and the great majority of my college friends don't have any religious beliefs.

none of these things address what i believe to be true about it. i actually find the contradictions to be the some of the most valuable parts and meditating on them brings about a sort of clarity in my perceptions of non-spiritual things. not that it makes me 'smarter' or 'wiser', but it gives me a different set of tools and attitudes for approaching things. religion has also gotten me through some truly shitty times and it challenges me to be a better person when things aren't so bad. thus, i doubt that i will have a change in faith anytime soon.

So how does it feel to be everything that's wrong in the world?

I used to be Catholic.At around 17-18 I could not reconcile my Catholic beliefs with the world. I'm not atheist, but I'm not religious. I'm not much of anything.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Early in my freshman year in High school I began thinking about it. Which was in between 14-15. At first I said I was Atheist. I soon discovered the term "Agnostic" which seemed to fit me more. But now I'm leaning more towards actual atheism, so now I call myself a modified "Agnostic Atheist."

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

When I was 13, one of the men who had been molesting me took me to the beach at midnight. I'd had a rough night with my parents [they had found out about one of the other men] so we sat on a rock and I just cried and cried. Then for some reason I realized God was there..and my faith just restored. I eventually got out of the situation.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Raised attending a Disciples of Christ church. Didn't really figure out I was Atheist until I was around 12 or so, but it had been going on pretty much as far back as I can remember, the trying to connect what they say in Church regarding God with the reality I saw around me. I mean, I can find more evidence of Zeus's hand in things than I can the Christian deity.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

My dad was a Lutheran minister so i was razed pretty hardcore Christian. At around 8-10 i started having doubts, i asked my dad and he answered them well enough to satisfy my 10 year old brain. At about 17-18 i started having the same basic doubts and the old answers no longer made sense. At 21 I would say logic overpowered fear and i became an agnostic. By that i mean the lack of proof for god was so clear, and it was so illogical to believe with 100% certainty that he existed that i stopped "believing" in him even though i was still scared of going to hell. quickly after that i became pretty confident that there was no God, but would still define myself as agnostic.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

i cant exactly remember, but it was around middle school where i shed my fear of god and started thinking differently.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i cant exactly remember, but it was around middle school where i shed my fear of god and started thinking differently.

You mean thinking clearly, right? Getting rid of all that bullshit magical thinking must have been relieving.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Pandercolour: Quit trying to incite drama.

They/them

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Echodork wrote:I was Catholic until 11, then I got very deep into Christianity in my teen years.

I very frequently hear statements like "I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian" and visa versa. Catholicism *is* a brand of Christianity.

My family was never particularly religious. One of the places we lived in for a few years had a Lutheran church that we attended fairly frequently when I was 7 or 8. I thought the sermons were boring and sort of obvious in my mind, but I really enjoyed the music and singing. Then the church gave up all the regular music and singing for Lent. I was a bit appalled, and began to think "Wait. Why would Jesus want us to give up singing and happiness if he loves us and wants us to be happy? This makes no sense." We moved before I had a chance to fully form an opinion about church, and didn't go anymore after that except on Easter and such. When I was 11 or 12 I stopped going to church with my family. I don't know if I stopped believing in God, but I stopped believing in organized religion. Now I describe myself as agnostic. I don't see a lot of evidence to indicate God, but I have no way of really knowing. I tend to think there isn't one, but I live my life such that if there is a God, I'm not pissing him off (although I would try to be a good person even if I knew with total certainty that there was no God).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I was raised Christian--like, really Christian. My dad is a Baptist pastor, and has about four advanced degrees in Divinity, Theology, and Ancient Near-Eastern Studies. (His dissertation was about the hermeneutics of the Abraham story.) I did all the hardcore Christian stuff as a kid--not just church every Sunday, and sunday school, youth groups, Christian camps, all that stuff--but every night before bed my parents would get all of the kids down in the living room, and we'd memorize Bible verses and catechism...I went to Christian schools from kindergarten through to eighth grade. I was an MK (missionary kid) in Singapore for three years. I've read Max Lucado and James Dobson and Brio magazine and John Piper and devotional books galore.

Hardcore shit.

When I hit high school, I found myself having to defend what I believed to myself. I met people with ideas and beliefs outside what I had known, and people that I *liked* who did things my faith considered hellworthy. I started talking to this guy who asked me a lot of challenging questions--the ones Christians have pat, feel-good answers for; the answers that don't provide anything substantive. I spewed them off for a while, but it got me thinking.
I talked to some of my Christian friends, asking them the same questions my friend had asked me, and they gave me even less convincing responses. I realized that, although they were nice people, there wasn't a lot *to* them. There was no one among the Christians I knew that was even sort of like the person I wanted to be.
I was also finding that I hated church. I couldn't focus, and when I did, what the pastor was saying made me angry. I stopped going to youth groups. I stopped playing guitar for worship. I went to church because my parents made me.
I came up with the bright idea to claim to be "trying out other churches". There were four or five within walking distance of my house, so I guess my parents swallowed it. They would leave for church, and I would chill in the house, take the dog for a walk...sometimes checking out the sermon topic on the billboards outside the churches so I'd have something a little more convincing to say to my dad if/when he asked questions.
I think my dad was concerned about me; he bought me a book called "The Gagging of God," and we started reading it together, discussing it, and so on. We had an argument one night which resulted in me telling him that I wasn't a Christian. I hadn't considered myself one for a year (started when I was 16), but...it was incredibly hard to work up the courage. I wanted to be perfectly sure, and all that stuff. For him, it was like he was an astronaut whose child doesn't believe the world is round. You know? I felt terrible. I love my parents, I didn't want to hurt them.

But I was also fucking *free*. Free of those goddamn moral restraints, free from feeling guilty all the time, free from having to judge what people do and say.
Moving out (shortly before I turned 18) was even *more* freeing--I didn't have to pretend to go to church. I picked up mannerisms I never would have dared at home, my sense of humour developed incredibly. I still considered myself a Theist--in the loosest sense of the word--because I couldn't *quite* convince myself there wasn't something bigger than me out there. It was more like...I wanted there to be something more than human, I wanted something to have some kind of control.
A bit before I turned 19, I decided this was silly. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it true, right? I changed my religious status on Facebook from "Theist" to "Areligious". I don't actively disbelieve god, but I don't think there's something out there, either.

The best way I've been able to explain my "religious beliefs" to people is with a paraphrased quote from "Dogma". (Is that ridiculous?)
"I just think it's better to have ideas than beliefs."
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

I remember when I was 11 or 12 my parents would bring me to church and I believed the guy was talking about real things, but never took it seriously. When I was 13-14 the lady who claimed at the time to be my mother dragged me to baptist church and those people convinced me there was a problem with the system. When I was 25 or so I actually tried going to church again because a friend had picked it up and seemed to be really happy, but I couldn't make it stick. The people seem nice enough but while in church all I could do is marvel at how people took this stuff literally. I mean, seriously, two of everything in a boat?

What really turned the corner for me, though, was a train of thought about an omnipotent being that:

Probably more than 60% of the present population has never heard of, meaning they can't go to heaven.

It's hard to estimate the percentage of people in history that haven't heard of the religion, but suffice to say it's been entire civilizations. Aztecs, Incas, Mongolia, China, Africa, and even Europe until quite recently. HTF can some omnipotent being decide to tell this one dude who talks to bushes and not account for all the souls on the planet.

WTF would he not leave notes about the obvious bits we'd want to know? That glowing, bright, warm ball thing? We revolve around it. That thing you're standing on? Also a ball. Planets? No, those aren't "rogue stars," they're just balls of rock like ours.

Not to mention the horrors done in the name of religion. Inquisition, crusades, oppressing women, brainwashing children to be self-conscious about their bodies, suppressing science, holy wars... It's all just ricockulous.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a little ticked off for having been led along by threat of fire for so many years.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:Probably more than 60% of the present population has never heard of, meaning they can't go to heaven.

It's hard to estimate the percentage of people in history that haven't heard of the religion, but suffice to say it's been entire civilizations. Aztecs, Incas, Mongolia, China, Africa, and even Europe until quite recently. HTF can some omnipotent being decide to tell this one dude who talks to bushes and not account for all the souls on the planet.

Whether or not it's in the scriptures of the faith, I asked that of my preacher once : the "What happens to all the people who lived after Jesus but never heard of him, like the Aztecs or whatever?" and he responded basically that they'll be judged in accordance with what constitutes being a good person since they never had a chance to accept Jesus in life. Like I said, I'm pretty much certain that little loophole isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bible, but at least it's keeping in character with a guy who's supposed to be all forgiving and all that jazz.

But apparently once the missionaries show up, you're fucked if you don't convert.

Not to mention the horrors done in the name of religion. Inquisition, crusades, oppressing women, brainwashing children to be self-conscious about their bodies, suppressing science, holy wars... It's all just ricockulous.
Right... because it has nothing at all to do with people being assholes who'll bend and twist anything to do what they want. If it wasn't religion, they'd just used something else. See : Atheist episodes of South Park. Science damn it!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:i cant exactly remember, but it was around middle school where i shed my fear of god and started thinking differently.

You mean thinking clearly, right? Getting rid of all that bullshit magical thinking must have been relieving.

it wasnt the magical thinking. it was the "walk in line with the rest of the sheep or be punished" thinking.

and yes, it was eye opening.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
MotorToad wrote:
Right... because it has nothing at all to do with people being assholes who'll bend and twist anything to do what they want. If it wasn't religion, they'd just used something else. See : Atheist episodes of South Park. Science damn it!"
Yes, you're right. The angle of it I was trying to get at is that this omnipotent being apparently doesn't notice that these douchebags are flying his flag. I mean, I'd be pissed as all hell if some redneck church made huge signs that said "MOTORTOAD HATES FAGS" or that sort of thing (there's a thread on here somewhere, I'm sure you've seen it). Were that happening, and I was omnipotent, there would be some biblical-proportion smiting going on. And that is nothing like the scale of the church killing hundreds or thousands of innocent people for no reason. Or bombing abortion clinics.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

But apparently once the missionaries show up, you're fucked if you don't convert.

Which sortof means that the best thing you can do as a christian is to keep that shit to yourself. At least under that interpretation.

They/them

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Yet, in the interest of self-preservation, because you get good boy/girl points for doing so, one must spread it.

So, it's you or them.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But apparently once the missionaries show up, you're fucked if you don't convert.

I read this years ago, and just now found out it's from The Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard.
An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
"No," said the priest, "not if you did not know."
"Then why," asked the Inuit earnestly, "did you tell me?"
Spoiler:

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Yet, in the interest of self-preservation, because you get good boy/girl points for doing so, one must spread it.

That attitude is what led to the population crisis we have today.

Return to “General”