Sleep patterns

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How Do You Sleep?

2-3 Hours
1%
4-5 Hours
17%
6-7 Hours
37%
8-9 Hours
23%
None, then I nap for most of the day.
2%
Otter Sleep.
20%

Total votes: 87

Miike

What's your sleep schedule generally like?

Postby Miike » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:34 am UTC

Just curious. Mine's all over the map; it's 3:30 AM here now. Some days this week I've been up 'till 6, some days I've been asleep around midnight. Stupid being social bullshit interrupting my sleepytime.

Miike

Postby Miike » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:40 am UTC

And nothing interesting is happening on the Internet anywhere so I'm going to bed! Mark it on your list of important events in world history!

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:47 am UTC

Yeah, there's no schedule involved for me. It's bad. Sometimes I stay up until the late morning because I don't want to go to sleep, and other times I sleep until the mid afternoon because I don't want to wake up. But if I keep my running up I get tired enough to get to bed between midnight and 1am.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

parsonsb
301st Spartan (Overslept)

Postby parsonsb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:08 am UTC

i'm an engineering student

i have an iv drip of caffeine with me at all times

i take just below the ld50 dose every few hours

i don't sleep

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:10 am UTC

I'm an engineer and I can't stand caffeine.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 am UTC

Caffeine is for when you haven't done any work on your term project and it's due at midnight.

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:14 am UTC

I work a nightshift at a local gas station in the weekends, and during the day I'm at law school... I caught 3 hours of sleet last night, today I have to work from 11 PM to 7 AM, and then I have a class which starts 8.15, Verdict-analysis, and that lasts until 4 PM. And then I may be able to snatch a few hours of sleep, before I have to get to work again.

I abuse caffeine. Frequently.
"Error juris semper nocet"

parsonsb
301st Spartan (Overslept)

Postby parsonsb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:20 am UTC

i did get a circuit write up done and a c program finished tonight though

Rey

Postby Rey » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:24 am UTC

god the last time I had a schedule it was up 24 out 12. My school schedule actually let that work for a week. Work stopped it from continuing.

I once watched a TV show and they mentioned that Russians did a sleep study to see how people's sleep schedule would be effected. IN their study they found some people have a 24 hour schedule other have a 36 hour schedule.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 am UTC

36-hour sleep schedule, 'eh? Dude at work once managed to pull something like a 30-hour sleep schedule for a week. His hours seemed kind-of strange, but nobody bothers 'im if he gets his work done.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:28 am UTC

I sleep seven to eight hours every night now that I can fall asleep when I want to, but when I go to sleep varies on who I'm talking to at the time.

That said, I can go without sleep and not feel more than just cold and groggy the rest of the day.

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 am UTC

I regularly sleep from 12am till 5:30am

Weekends I get a bit more, generally a full 9 hours, if I can.
If I go out, though, on a Friday/Saturday, its likely to be no more than 5 hours again.

I abuse caffiene.

I have noticed, however, how much worse depression can be after even a little sleep deprivation.

I generally pull full 24 or 36 hour days at work, 10-12 time a year.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:09 am UTC

I usually go to bed between 11pm and 12am weeknights, though depending on if Gordon's working and how I feel I might get to bed a little earlier sometimes. I wake up at 5:40am Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays, and 7:15am Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On Saturdays and Sundays I guess I'll sleep in til 9am. :P I am both a morning and a night person!

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

shit. i've started dreaming a lot more again, which cuts down on my sleep and also means that i'm having really tense, restless sleep that i don't get anything out of. really exhausting. but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago - it's still some sleep every night, at least for a few hours.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

Cripes.

I think I avg 5-6 hours a night on the weekdays. Once the weekend hits, it's lights out for me though. I usually crawl into bed around 5am and wake back up at around 3pm or something like that.

Fun times.
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

On weekdays, I wake up at 8am-ish. My bedtime tends to wander. Generally, it'll start at about 1 am one night, and get later and later until finally I get so exhausted during the day one day that I end up crashing at, like, 6pm.

On weekends, I like to stay up til 6 am or so, and sleep til 2 or 3 pm.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

bed at about 1:00am, wake at about 7:30am thats most of the time, i occasionally get a good sleep in though, mmmm

i have a friend who is like a sloth. Sleeps from 2:00 am and wakes up at 6:00 pm the next day, misses most of uni due to this, the only lecture i've ever seen him in is the 7:00pm-8:00pm lecture :P
01 01 was a race horse, 10 10 was 01 10, 01 01 01 01 race, 10 10 01 01 10

-- Mike (19/Male)

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

I'm pretty decent about getting 7-9 hours a night, although I wake up a crapload (damn kittens). I function just too badly when I don't get enough sleep, so I'm much better about it now that I've ever been.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

I generally go to bed on week nights somewhere from 10-12. tonight i'm gonna go to be now (1:40 am) cause i'm having fun using my new laptop. It rocks. UT 2k4 max graphics is gooded :D and sims 2 also works well. Only thing its missing is my music collection :(
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

mon/wed i sleep through algebra and generally wake up around 10:30 to make it to my business class.

the rest of the work week and get home around mindnight to 1am and sleep til about 10:30. i dont go to bed til about 2 though.

so basically i get up everday at 10:30, as jeff pointed out. the important part was that on two of those days i'm supposed to be in class.

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

what laptop? i have Dell XPS M1710, nVidia Geforce Go 7900GTX 512mb, core 2 duo T2200 @ 2ghz, 2gb ddr2 ram, 80gb hdd, 17" widescreen
01 01 was a race horse, 10 10 was 01 10, 01 01 01 01 race, 10 10 01 01 10

-- Mike (19/Male)

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

Most of the time, I sleep 9:30PM to 6AM M-F, and 11-8 on the weekends. OF course, then the GF comes over and it gets all out of wack, like 4AM-10AM and I have to let know work know that I am going to be late.

The Divine Comedy

Postby The Divine Comedy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

I generally get about 7 hours of sleep on weekdays, then 8-10 on weekends, depending on how late I go to bed. I sleep a lot. Is there any way to cut down on sleeping time without making yourself tired and caffeine-abuse-y?
And the lord spoketh, go forth and procrastinate. And they, being good and obediant children, promised to go forth... the next day.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

between 7-10 hours is actually pretty healthy, and standard.

Why do you want to reduce it?

They/them

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 pm UTC

I've heard it's possible to train yourself to go on less sleep, though I don't remember the details. Also, doing that, you're prone to "mircrosleeps" - when you nod off for a second.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

They did get a guy trained so he was functioning pretty well on 2 or 3 hours of sleep a day, broken up into 15 minute naps throughout the day.

He didn't really seem impaired, once he was used to it, but they had to work really hard to get him up after a nap.

It was a pretty cool study.

They/them

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

lani wrote:I've heard it's possible to train yourself to go on less sleep, though I don't remember the details. Also, doing that, you're prone to "mircrosleeps" - when you nod off for a second.

It's true - I have been known to nod off occasionally on the train (or at my desk... shhh). Disco Naps are the way forward. :P

My sleep schedule has been well fooked this week. About 3 - 4 hours per night, and probably waking up once or twice during that time. Have been having lucid dreams as well, which always happens when I am sleep deprived. Just a bout of insomnia, I guess.

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:36-hour sleep schedule, 'eh? Dude at work once managed to pull something like a 30-hour sleep schedule for a week. His hours seemed kind-of strange, but nobody bothers 'im if he gets his work done.

This is the first time I have heard of a 36 hour schedule, and it seems like it would be perfect. I want to try it out, but I don't think my teachers would understand. Maybe I will in the summer.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:25 am UTC

On weekdays, I usually go to bed between midnight and 2, and I get up around 8:30 for class. I also have a tendency to nod off during my 12:30 pm class if I got less than 7 hours...

On weekends it's more like bed at 3:30, up at 2. I hate going to bed, but I hate getting up even more.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:31 am UTC

2am - 7am

3 hour nap at 3 or 4pm.

This is pretty much my week.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Coruscate

Postby Coruscate » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:43 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:shit. i've started dreaming a lot more again, which cuts down on my sleep and also means that i'm having really tense, restless sleep that i don't get anything out of. really exhausting. but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago - it's still some sleep every night, at least for a few hours.

I get really disjointed and nervy when I don't dream. Seriously, I need to wake up from something weird and amazing to function normally during the day.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Let's just say it's irregular and short, and my body is grumpy about it.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Ugh. I don't really have a 'schedule' per se right now, because I've been out of work, but I did recently learn that I'm a night person and will just have to fucking get used to that fact. My schedule was all kinds of messed up lately, in the sense of me being up until five, six, seven in the morning, and then sleeping through early/mid afternoon. I wanted to get on a more 'normal' sleep pattern, so around five in the morning one day, I hadn't been to sleep yet, and decided that I wouldn't sleep at all, and fall asleep exhausted at ten or eleven or so that night, putting me back on a normal sleep schedule.

After spending the day almost falling asleep anytime I was sitting down and not specifically doing something, it gets to be about ten o'clock at night . . . And my tiredness just evaporated. I'd been up for about thirty-six straight hours at that point, and suddenly I just wasn't tired anymore. I ended up going to sleep around three-thirty or four.

So I've accepted the fact that I'm a night person. I simply can't go to sleep early. And I'm really, really, really not a morning person. Even during my last job, there was a time they had me on the truck team, and I had to be at work at five-thirty in the morning three days a week, on average. I still couldn't get to sleep before about one-thirty or two on average. I would sleep a few hours, and then roll out of bed ten minutes or less before I had to be at work. Never late, though.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

AngryRobot
Is a Tachikoma

Postby AngryRobot » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:04 am UTC

atm i wake up at 6:45 for work and get to bed anywhere between 11-3, depends if im playin a game or on net or watchin a movie. While still in high school i functioned on 3 hours sleep nearly every night, sometimes less. but im doin alot more physical work now so i need a bit more rest.
When in darkness, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout!
Left, right, left, right, up, A+Y - Group hug combo!

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:08 am UTC

I get ready for bed at 9:30 on a school night (unless I've an overabundance of homework), then get into bed at about 10 and stop reading at maybe 10:30 (depending on how good the book is) then I wake up the next day at 7. Some nights I get to sleep the second I close my book, some nights I'm awake until 1 a.m. unable to sleep.

9:30 is supposedly my "bed time" enforced by my parents but really, who can fall asleep that early?

AngryRobot
Is a Tachikoma

Postby AngryRobot » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:13 am UTC

I dunno i'v gotten home and fallen asleep before, didnt even have dinner, worked my butt off that day.
When in darkness, when in doubt,

Run in circles, scream and shout!

Left, right, left, right, up, A+Y - Group hug combo!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:36 am UTC

Daem0hn wrote:what laptop? i have Dell XPS M1710, nVidia Geforce Go 7900GTX 512mb, core 2 duo T2200 @ 2ghz, 2gb ddr2 ram, 80gb hdd, 17" widescreen

Acer travelmate 4235WLMI, core 2 duo 7200, 2g ram, 15.4" screen and a 7300go, so, not quite as good as yours? meh, good enough for me anyway.

I should get more sleep really cause I feel tired alot
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Holy crap those are some nice laptops.

My laptop *was*...

Compaq Armada 100, PIII 733MHz, 192MB RAM, 12GB HD, 12.1" screen, Trident Cyberblade GPU.

And then after I was tired of it randomly deciding to not turn on anymore I ripped it apart for the parts.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:16 am UTC

lani wrote:I've heard it's possible to train yourself to go on less sleep, though I don't remember the details. Also, doing that, you're prone to "mircrosleeps" - when you nod off for a second.

Oh man, I do that microsleep thing! Really randomly too. Like in the middle of my most interesting class, or when playing video games, but I can never get to sleep on my bed without lying there awake for about a half hour to an hour.

I'm supposed to be getting like 8 hours of sleep, but the xkcd fora and other things have been keeping me up at night, moving it closer to 6 or 5. I wish I could quit you.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: What's your sleep schedule generally like?

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:18 am UTC

Sleep Schedule:

Sleep

Then

Awake

Repeat

Return to “General”