Dregs of the barrell?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dwdwdw

Dregs of the barrell?

Postby dwdwdw » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

Hi,

I've recently noticed several consequitive entries that simply aren't funny or rely on in-jokes or other cheap humour. A few slides ago you flat out alienated a good portion of your original readership. I'm sure you don't see this as selling out, however it more or less marked the end of my readership.

Having asked a few hackers in the office here what they thought of XKCD, they unanamously agreed you stopped being funny some time ago.

So here's to your popularity dying, and here's to the rebirth of your introspective side. Lose the idiot populous that seem to have recently polluted your previously excellent talent for creating geek humour. They don't love you now as much as we did.

I spent days reading every previous comic when I first found XKCD. That never happened before for me. Sad to see you dieing off in such a pathetic way.

David.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Dregs of the barrell?

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

Okay, so we've heard from the fan who's upset that Randall's not just plucking the same string over and over again....

Where's the fan who's tired of the same old jokes and wants something newer and more developed?

Maybe when he arrives, the two of you an fight to the death over why you're dissatisfied.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

The funniest part of this being the fact that Randy hasn't even noticed the existence of the forums in over a year. The lolz, they do not cease.
You don't make them touch!

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell "alienation" these people keep talking about.

... It was the goddamn Python, wasn't it?
http://xkcd.com/353/
It's all fun and games as long as it remains abstract, but as soon as the holy wars come up, people get their panties in a knot.
Last edited by wing on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

So you made an account just to say you're leaving? I think it would have went better if you just left.

dwdwdw wrote:I've recently noticed several consequitive entries that simply aren't funny or rely on in-jokes or other cheap humour. A few slides ago you flat out alienated a good portion of your original readership. I'm sure you don't see this as selling out, however it more or less marked the end of my readership.

I think thats just silly, a good portion of XKCD requires you have a little background knowledge of the area the 'joke' is about. Though, I am curious which slide alienated a 'good portion' of the readers...? I must have missed it.

EDIT: I also added my first 'foe' yay. Which is apparently an ignore feature... so what does friend do...?
Last edited by Xeio on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

dwdwdw wrote:Useless whiny complaint

Failure.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Okay, so we've heard from the fan who's upset that Randall's not just plucking the same string over and over again....

Where's the fan who's tired of the same old jokes and wants something newer and more developed?

Maybe when he arrives, the two of you an fight to the death over why you're dissatisfied.

Oo! Can I be that fan?

Is this a chainsaw cagematch, or a bout of fisticuffs to the death, or do we just chug poison until one of us croaks?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

I'm going to be so lost without *checks name* "dwdwdw". He raised that stat counter like no other.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

@Girl™:Similarly, I haven't noticed the existence of the webcomic for some time.
@Whiny Bratoid: Thanks for reminding me to read the webcomic! It's still humorous to me.

Ultimately: Complaining to an artist about their work is not unlike complaining to Earth about the high temperatures: It's not listening, and it won't do anything about it.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

"I, a fan, would like to tell you that you're selling out, bowing too much to your fans, and compromising your artistic integrity. Therefore, I suggest that you do what I, a fan, tell you to do, and tell the kind of jokes I like. To prove that you're not selling out and bowing to fans. Like me."

They/them

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

If only there were other webcomics you could read if you aren't happy with this one.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

And if only there were some kind of magical electronic mail system, by which this person could have given some constructive feedback about the comic.

Y'know, instead of posting on a public board about why the people who post on the board have poor taste...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I still want to know which comic alienated the readership. The people demand answers!

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

I think this man deserves a refund!
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Girl™

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I think this man deserves a refund!

From your mom!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

Here I was thinking this was going to be about how the dregs are actually high in vitamins and minerals and don't taste as bad as people say they do (they taste a hell of a lot worse if you must know).

As for 'the comic that broke the douche's fanboyism', do you really care?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Post deleted.
Last edited by lowbart on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

(Yes I think we got that part, it was funny. Sans the explanation. Mom joke is obligatory though.)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:EDIT: I also added my first 'foe' yay. Which is apparently an ignore feature... so what does friend do...?

Sends you nekkid pictures. 'Friend' Barbie, it's so worth it.

Girl™

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
Girl™ wrote:
lowbart wrote:I think this man deserves a refund!

From your mom!

I mean, of the money he paid to read the comic. Oh wait.

Funny, the same conundrum comes up when one demands a refund from your mom. :wink:

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

I thought this might be about those old "Barrel" comics and choosing our least favorite of them.

Anyway, I think it's time to wildly theorize about which comic he means! I think it must be 374, because it offends the lonely, angsty, barrel-dwelling fish community. Note the OP's word choice: both "barrel" and "alienation" appear in the comic itself!

Now, I didn't know fish could type or coexist with computers (water's not good for computers but fish need it. It's just complicated), but clearly the OP is some form of ichthyoid.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

xooll wrote:I think it must be 374, because it offends the lonely, angsty, barrel-dwelling fish community.

And thats the American dream!

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

xooll wrote:Anyway, I think it's time to wildly theorize about which comic he means! I think it must be 374, because it offends the lonely, angsty, barrel-dwelling fish community. Note the OP's word choice: both "barrel" and "alienation" appear in the comic itself!
http://xkcd.com/373/, obviously.

Which just goes to show that the OP has no idea what he's talking about, or who the "original readership" of xkcd is.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I was assuming it was:

http://xkcd.com/367/.

After all, the Ronpaul does have a huge internet following, being Moloch and all.

They/them

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Can the case not be made that Randall is in fact THE original readership of xkcd?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I was assuming it was:

http://xkcd.com/367/.

After all, the Ronpaul does have a huge internet following, being Moloch and all.
So wait. the Ronpaul supporters don't *admit* that they're "obsessive fans"? That's all that comic said....

But yeah, maybe. In which case, all I can say is that I, at least, can find things funny even when I disagree with them.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

xooll wrote:I thought this might be about those old "Barrel" comics and choosing our least favorite of them.

Anyway, I think it's time to wildly theorize about which comic he means! I think it must be 374, because it offends the lonely, angsty, barrel-dwelling fish community. Note the OP's word choice: both "barrel" and "alienation" appear in the comic itself!

Now, I didn't know fish could type or coexist with computers (water's not good for computers but fish need it. It's just complicated), but clearly the OP is some form of ichthyoid.

You said it yourself... he's obviously an alien fish! They live in barrels with computers made of nonconductors (the next step from semiconductors) and have UWANs to allow browsing webcomics.

Belial wrote:"I, a talentless fan, would like to tell you that you're selling out, bowing too much to your fans, and compromising your artistic integrity. Therefore, I suggest that you do what I, a fan, tell you to do, and tell the kind of jokes I like, since I can't think of anything on my own to do to make myself laugh. To prove that you're not selling out and bowing to fans. Like me."
Mildly fix'd.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

I think he posted in the wrong area :-/ this clearly goes under " My whiny worthless opinion should best be reserved for areas where whining and moaning make a difference. Like a nursery!"

Ok or at least the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

P.S. Please go back to what ever 1337est forum you came from
We are all friendz here ^.^ with a "z"
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Simple, don't like it. Don't read it.

Stop wasting our (and your time to a greater extent) by posting here.

Now shoo... I have no more time for the likes of you.
I believe this is one case in which being devoured by Raptors would benefit humanity...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Change the name of this thread to "Dreg a barrel roll!"

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

I would also post here saying that this person is dumb and ugly etc. but I have nothing worthwhile to say that hasn't already been said.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Change the name of this thread to "Dreg a barrel roll!"

To sell out press 'Z' or 'R' twice!
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

try a summa Sault!
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

xooll wrote:I thought this might be about those old "Barrel" comics and choosing our least favorite of them.

Correction: The comics may have used the word "barrel" but the OP used the word "barrell," which is not a term I'm familiar with, so probably has something to do with your mom last night.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Hi,

I've noticed that for three or four consequtive comics now, the artistic elements that I'm used to seeing in XKCD have been lacking. A few comics ago you couldn't even draw the lines on your bar chart straight. I'm sure you don't see this as a problem, however it more or less marked the end of my readership.

Having asked a few artists in the office here what they thought of XKCD, they unanamously agreed you stopped being able to draw some time ago.

So here's to the rebirth of your photorealistic side. Lose the idiot populous that seem to have recently polluted your previously excellent talent for drawing facial features on your characters. They don't love you now as much as we did.

I spent days reading every previous comic when I first found XKCD. That never happened before for me. Sad to see you dieing off in such a pathetic way.

Satirist.

[Spelling and grammar errors his.]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Barrel.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 am UTC

BARRAL!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 am UTC

One of the reasons I love this forum is that this thread hasn't yet been locked. It's always fun to post in doomed threads.

*insert your favorite meme here. I've always been partial to that one WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY thing. Why did that one die out, anyhow?*
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:17 am UTC

ducknerd wrote:*insert your favorite meme here. I've always been partial to that one WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY thing. Why did that one die out, anyhow?*

Never heard of it. Maybe it wasn't a good meme (wait a second... good meme?)?

Anyway. This topic lost by OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 am UTC

BAREALL!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Return to “General”