Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby mrorange » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:Fun fact: The song most of us know as "Happy Birthday" is still under copyright in the US (This is why most TV shows, movies, and restaurant chains have their own versions)

what kind of horrible person would do that... besides microsoft or walt disney...
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

LSK

Postby LSK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Man, compared to some people here, I'm hardly weird at all. I do have a routine of posting nonsensical comments on bulletin boards - for example, at the Old Town School of Folk Music, "A UKULELE ISN'T THAT DIFFERENT FROM A BASS."

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

mrorange wrote:
Antimatter Spork wrote:Fun fact: The song most of us know as "Happy Birthday" is still under copyright in the US (This is why most TV shows, movies, and restaurant chains have their own versions)

what kind of horrible person would do that... besides microsoft or walt disney...

I don't think it was intended to last that long, however, various changes to the copyright laws over the years have stretched it out seemingly forever now. I think I saw it in one of my bathroom readers. In any case, none of the restaurants up here seem to care about it, so I'm guessing it's only in the US that it's still copyrighted.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Master Gunner wrote: bathroom readers

I heard about something where you leave a book in a public place, with instructions to read it and leave it in another public place (like on a park bench- It needs to be in a resealable bag).

I've heard these books have travelled hundreds of miles.

Anyone know anything more about this? I'd love it if there was a website for this, similar to that geocaching site.

That'd make the world weirder- finding the Kama Sutra in a railway carriage.

Hehe.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:http://www.bookcrossing.com/about

I have loads of duplicates of books in my house- there's a room in my house with roughly 1500 books in, lurking in cubboards, wardrobes, on shelves inside the wardrobes, and about 500 all lined up across the floor, and in boxes, etc.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:14 am UTC

since i got so many ties for christmas (my total is now around 25) i was thinking about jsut wearing normal clothes, but then tying ties around ever part of my body, head arms legs neck torso, and just going around like that, i think it would be awesome...
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

You know what's really fun?
Going to McDonald's and showing someone your burger, asking "does that look like poop to you?" really loud.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

Ha, Pirate.Bondage has now made me want to go to fast food restaurants all around Leicester Square and ask for the wrong food, and be really condescending when the servers don't know what I want.
In McDonalds: "Can I get a whopper please. What? A whopper. You know, a beef burger?" <suggests a McDonalds burger" no just don't bother, give me a Mighty Meaty with extra cheese please.
In KFC: "One fish supper please. What, you mean you're out of fish? OK let me have a McFlurry then."
In Burger King: "Uhm, can I have that as a footlong? Fine. A large Popcorn Chicken and a two-piece chicken combo please".
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Klye

Postby Klye » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

I was at a McDonalds with some friends and we were all making wierd orders: asking for Whoppers, asking for #12s when the menu only went up to #11, etc. One guy asked for chicken nuggets, WITH NO PICKLES, and spent a couple minutes arguing with the guy at the register about whether or not the nuggets usually came with pickles in them. After we got our food, he took a bite out of one of the nuggets and someone with a burger donated a pickle with a bite taken out. It was stuffed into the nugget, and taken up to the front counter.

I always make a point of asking if vegetarian offerings have any meat in them, and upon hearing no, kida groan and order something else.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Not really funny. If someone came into my little independent coffee shop and repeatedly mistook us for Starbucks, or ordered things not on the menu, I'd be more irritated than anything and would think that you were naught more than a frivolous cranial-rectal inverted jerk convinced that the world revolves around you. Granted, there are some people who might think it funny, but retail folk get enough genuine jerks that a joking jerk is no different.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

What he said. Or she. Whatever. It's one thing to ask some random stranger at a bus stop if they happen to know where the relish dispenser is, it's another to dick with people while they're trying to do their job.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Klye

Postby Klye » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Yes true. We were all about 13 at the time. Not that that makes it any more reasonable, but prehaps explains why we found it funny.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:55 am UTC

I used to work at a Subway, and we frequently had to tell people we were not a Starbucks.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:37 am UTC

I just e-mailed at least one random stranger, by way of "I'm not sure I got that e-mail address right".

So I drew them a picture:

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:46 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I just e-mailed at least one random stranger, by way of "I'm not sure I got that e-mail address right".

So I drew them a picture:

Whoa. That is awesome.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

I really want an etch-a-sketch now. They are so awesome! Especially when you remove all of the oxide-y stuff that's stuck to the screen and you can see the mechanism below :D

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:09 am UTC

During the credits of the new AVP film (we saw it drunk for a laugh, we kne wit would be bad.)
3 friends and I did a mini play for all in the cinema of a decent Alien Vs Predator fight.
I was an Alien!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:During the credits of the new AVP film (we saw it drunk for a laugh, we kne wit would be bad.)
3 friends and I did a mini play for all in the cinema of a decent Alien Vs Predator fight.
I was an Alien!

I want to ask whether or not you won, but I don't need to. I know the audience lost...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Dream wrote:
Ian Ex Machina wrote:During the credits of the new AVP film (we saw it drunk for a laugh, we kne wit would be bad.)
I was an Alien!

I want to ask whether or not you won, but I don't need to. I know the audience lost...

Tbh the audience lost when they actually watched the film.

I think the predators won in the end, although only after we fought our way out the cinema into the street and then my fellow alien went into a lampost ¬_¬.

mazzilliu

Postby mazzilliu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:24 am UTC

In my hometown there is a very large Amish community for some reason(being the Florida west coast, it always struck me as unexpected), and if you drive down certain roads you would always see them riding their tricycles everywhere... you know, Amish.

Anyways, I have always wanted to go up to one of them and tell them that I am from the future. And then drive off in my horseless carriage.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:17 am UTC

mazzilliu wrote:In my hometown there is a very large Amish community for some reason(being the Florida west coast, it always struck me as unexpected), and if you drive down certain roads you would always see them riding their tricycles everywhere... you know, Amish.

Anyways, I have always wanted to go up to one of them and tell them that I am from the future. And then drive off in my horseless carriage.

Awesome. Just not very PC :lol:

EDIT: On the other hand, I don't need to be that polit. correct, they won't be reading this...

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:05 am UTC

xooll wrote:Whoa. That is awesome.

Thank you.
Unfortunately, one of the e-mail addresses turned out to not actually exist. So I might have just e-mailed the person I was trying to in the first place. Although, I think I might make it standard practice to attach a picture of a raptor with some butterflies when I'm uncertain about the address. (also, you can click my sig for more etch-a-sketchins, maybe that is making the world weirder on it's own.)

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

On my way into work this morning I noticed that a lot of the shops have got their Valentines Day displays up. Being bitter and twisted, I'm thinking about producing some zigzags that I can take round and stick on their windows to turn them into broken hearts. Any thoughts or comments? Would it be better to have just a black crack or black bordering white, to further emphasise the blank space in the middle?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

The void, to be sure. Always the void. Without it, it's just a simple fracture.

I have a grandiose plan to own a dozen long-sleeved shirts. I will cut all the sleeves off and sew Velcro on them all, so that I can wear whichever sleeves with whichever shirt I please.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:On my way into work this morning I noticed that a lot of the shops have got their Valentines Day displays up. Being bitter and twisted, I'm thinking about producing some zigzags that I can take round and stick on their windows to turn them into broken hearts. Any thoughts or comments? Would it be better to have just a black crack or black bordering white, to further emphasise the blank space in the middle?

...or perhaps an ACTUAL SIZE! sticker...

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Combine them! Show how at least the crack is ACTUAL SIZE!

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

only if the hearts aren't proportional.
*waggles eyebrows*

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Odd things I like to do randomly:

• When I come across a computer sitting at a login prompt (i.e. Windows machines in schools), see what happens when I press Enter or Escape repeatedly. With any luck it will do something like show the login dialog, then show an "incorrect password" message, then loop back to the "press Enter to log in" message or similar. When I get the chance I put something heavy on the button to make it loop constantly.
  • In the above case, when I see a computer sitting unattended with some form of text box (such as a login prompt or someone's essay) on the screen, or something like an electronic jukebox where you can search for songs by name, type in something random and leave it there. For more awesomeness points, type in something like my username or "<script>alert("oh noes!");</script>" despite the fact that it obviously won't do anything.
  • Turn stuff upside-down. I used to do this in my brother's room all the time, which annoyed the hell out of him. :lol: Even my website's logo has something like a 1 in 5 chance of appearing upside-down. (And a 1 in 20 chance of appearing in Japanese.)
  • Any time I see a whiteboard with a marker nearby, I write "[insert band name here] ROCKS" or similar. (Usually it's Savage Genius.)
  • Walk backward, or while walking, randomly walk in a quick circle and continue on my way. When really bored, walk in small circles for several minutes.
  • With things written on paper, change periods to question marks and underline spelling or grammar mistakes.
  • Put "Hi [name]!" in places where the person in question is almost certainly never going to see it. The name is usually that of a girl, often one I'm in love with at the time. Hi Melanie!
  • Add sound effects to peoples' actions.
  • Ask random people on the street "Excuse me, can I borrow a fish?" One day I'd like to take a fish, run up to someone, say "Hold this", hand them the fish, and run off.
  • When I have the opportunity, open every computer in a room's web browser to badgerbadgerbadger.com or similar with the sound off.
  • Ask someone who's eating "you gonna finish that?" when they clearly are. Or ask if they're going to finish some random object when they're not eating.
  • Specify "to go" in the drive-through.
  • Draw spiders, flies, and/or fish all over assignment sheets.
  • Talk into my watch. Say strange things that you might overhear in a sci-fi film.
(Yeah, a few of those are copied from somewhere.)

Dibley wrote:I don't try to be weird just for the sake of being weird, but I won't hold back from doing something amusing just because people might think it's odd. For instance, I just got an awesome RC helicopter off of woot (go get a 2 pack for $20!), and I will try and hover it outside of fourth floor classrooms during class (I'm not sure how easy they are to reliably control), or perhaps someones dorm window. Maybe I'll mess with the case and put a fake camera on them, or a sign or something.
That is an awesome idea. I must do this.

xooll wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:On my way into work this morning I noticed that a lot of the shops have got their Valentines Day displays up. Being bitter and twisted, I'm thinking about producing some zigzags that I can take round and stick on their windows to turn them into broken hearts. Any thoughts or comments? Would it be better to have just a black crack or black bordering white, to further emphasise the blank space in the middle?

...or perhaps an ACTUAL SIZE! sticker...
I heard an awesome variation on this. You know those bumper stickers that say "I [heart] soandso"? Someone made up some stickers to cover the heart with a screw on them. :mrgreen:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Xiphias

Postby Xiphias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Pirate.Bondage wrote:You know what's really fun?
Going to McDonald's and showing someone your burger, asking "does that look like poop to you?" really loud.

When I was over in Sydney on holiday, and I stopped by a MacDonalds, I actually came across a toilet in their bathroom that had been clogged with a burger. I guess it did look like poop to whoever put it there.

... The worrying part is that the burger still had bite marks in it.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:36 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:[*]With things written on paper, change periods to question marks and underline spelling or grammar mistakes.

On assignment sheets, I have fun using a black pen to modify all the writing. Things like changing an "F" to an "E", an "l" to a "t", an "i" to an "l", all without making the word impossible to pronounce. Also fun is to just cover the vowels with accents, danish characters (like the "o" with the cross in it, or the "a" with a little circle on top), and other foreign characters. Every word is an adventure in pronunciation!

(On a similar note, I'm still waiting to find a juicebox of "grape cocktail" so that I can scratch out some letters..)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:13 am UTC

Don't forget the "gr" when you do that.

Heh, I once took a black marker and filled in every closed shape on an assignment sheet. Every O, 0, a, e, etc.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:32 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Don't forget the "gr" when you do that.

Heh, I once took a black marker and filled in every closed shape on an assignment sheet. Every O, 0, a, e, etc.

Actually, the important characters to scratch out are the "g" and the "tail".

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:04 am UTC

That's what I was thinking, but I think it'd be more awesome if you got rid of that first 'r' too. Bonus points if it's something along the lines of "grape cocktail .... juice".

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:30 am UTC

I would have to buy that, just to display it.

I have always wanted to write poetry on the inside of a public bathroom stall.
*waggles eyebrows*

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am UTC

mazzilliu wrote:In my hometown there is a very large Amish community for some reason(being the Florida west coast, it always struck me as unexpected), and if you drive down certain roads you would always see them riding their tricycles everywhere... you know, Amish.

Much more fun is to show up in a loincloth with a spear and chant "The wheel is a sin!"

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:56 am UTC

Or you could show up in shiny, metal plated clothes and speak in techno-babble about how "the technology must be stopped"
*waggles eyebrows*

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:24 am UTC

I'm guessing you live in Sarasota? I used to live down there. The Amish might be a little out of touch with the times, but have you been to one of their restaurants? Those technology-challenged people sure can cook up a storm. Mmmm, pie.

I always have a Sharpie with me, because I never know when I'll have to write something. Most of the time, it's just notes to myself on my arm. But I grafitti the occasional bathroom stall. My favorite thing to do is to add "Please" to signs. Like "No Loitering Please."

Reminds me, someone had posted a sign in an alcove outside the post office (directed at the homeless, at least I hope so) that said, "This is not a bathroom, don't pee here!" I just had to throw a "please" in there.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:53 am UTC

i'm not sure i've ever done something specifically to make the world a weirder place... i do, however, do things that entertain and interest me which often results in people looking at me askance and telling me i'm a weird one.

i do things like the following (often in bumpgrrl's company):
- plan intricate theme parties that involve deadly sins and/or saving forest animals from Certain Death
- converse in trees
- meet random people on and from the internet
- talk to strangers on buses
- write XKCD graffiti in public bathroom stalls
- write poetry on arbitrary white boards
- spontaneously re-enact scenes from movies
i never think of them as particularly weird at the time... it's always the response i (we) get that makes me question the 'normalcy' of my actions.
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:I would have to buy that, just to display it.

I have always wanted to write poetry on the inside of a public bathroom stall.
So many fun things you can do with bathroom stalls. My favourite was when there was a spider on the wall, in a very frequently used bathroom. I added an arrow pointing to it and wrote "Don't touch my spider." :mrgreen:

In that same bathroom was a sign above the urinals saying something like "do not dump any liquids in the urinals", along with a list of examples. I of course had to add "urine?" to this list.

And of course a "do not drink this water" sign once ended up above a toilet. That was a given. Along the same lines, a fun thing to do at school is to take signs off the wall and stick them up in the urinals.

Return to “General”