Anyone else have this problem with Diet Coke?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Victorkm

Anyone else have this problem with Diet Coke?

Postby Victorkm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

I work at Blockbuster in Jacksonville and I drink a lot of Diet Coke 20 Oz. Bottles. I and my coworkers have noticed that every once in a while we will get a bottle of diet coke that is funky. I open the bottle and the rim of the bottle where the cap screws on will smell terrible. Reminiscent of the gunk that builds up behind someone's ears or in their bellybutton if they don't wash.

We send these back to coke for a refund, but my store isn't the only place where I have gotten an offending bottle. I've gotten them in the machines at my day job, and even in grocery store lines. The worst is if we forget to smell the rim before we drink it, because something happens to the soda inside too to make it really nasty, but it isnt really noticible until it has had some time to warm up a little.

Anyone else notice this?

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

Ew.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

... congratulations, you're a winner... ?

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

This is why I have a crusade against caffinated sodas. They're fucking disgusting and can throw your entire body chemistry off.

Teas and coffees are fine in moderation (I admit I love tea and coffee, but they're natural), but sodas are fucking nasty--and they make you gain tons of weight. And make you smell. And no one drinks only one a day or something--people always drink cans and cans of it and then you reek like a filthy gaming store. I haven't drank a soda in months and if I do, it burns and hurts for days from the acids in it. Not. Healthy.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

*puts his 16 oz Coke from Subway behind him*

That's just a rumor...

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

:s I rarely drink the stuff anymore. It's really kind of pointless if you're not addicted to caffiene.

Now if only there was some good tasting water to be had...
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

I find that the only way to make water tasty is to cool it to as close to freezing as possible. Then it's delicious.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

this is just proof that soda is completely gross.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote: I haven't drank a soda in months and if I do, it burns and hurts for days from the acids in it. Not. Healthy.

You should probably seek a medical explanation for that. It sounds highly unusual.

I'd bet the thing that this thread is actually about is related to the aspartame in Diet Coke, but that's just a guess.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Khonsu wrote: I haven't drank a soda in months and if I do, it burns and hurts for days from the acids in it. Not. Healthy.

You should probably seek a medical explanation for that. It sounds highly unusual.

I'd bet the thing that this thread is actually about is related to the aspartame in Diet Coke, but that's just a guess.

Most people don't suffer from burning stomach burning from drinking soda; I prefer tea though. Coffee is gross.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:This is why I have a crusade against caffinated sodas.
No, it isn't, as the rest of your post demonstrates. You have a thing against caffeinated sodas, but I doubt that "sometimes, there is a manufacturing problem" is the primary reason for your opposition.

Now shut the fuck up and stop flaming.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

I just find that my throat is dry later, and a few friends lost weight when they didn't drink 'em anymore. I'm not flaming; I don't mind if someone drinks them, but if a product can smell like a bellybutton if it's a manufacturing error, I just would avoid it altogether. I can't imagine why the sodas are like that sometimes, you know, skanky. I just personally find 'em icky in general, but as to what causes the bellybutton smell? Got me.

that1dude

Postby that1dude » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

I've always noticed that on the bottles.
I've stopped drinking coke all together because of it.
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A:42

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

I love Diet Coke.

That is all.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Kag wrote:I'd bet the thing that this thread is actually about is related to the aspartame in Diet Coke, but that's just a guess.

Any beverage that contains ass-part-a-me is nothing I want in my mouth, thank you very much.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

I have never noticed this. But there's a bottling plant 150 km away, maybe you people get your Coke from farther away and it goes all stanky.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 am UTC

That's never happened. I've gotten diet sodas once or twice where the sweetener had gone bad and it wasn't sweet anymore, but I haven't encountered one of those in a long time.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:38 am UTC

I can't drink diet coke, the aspartame gives me a headache. Actually, the only soda I drink is an occasional mountain dew. I'm addicted to that stuff, but still drink only maybe 4-5 cans a week IF I have any, which 85% of the time I don't :(. And I'll drink coke/pepsi at restaurants.

Maybe you should call up Coke and ask them what it is. Or take pictures and post them on flickr, then send coke the links in an email. That'll definitely freak them out and get you a response :twisted: .
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I drink soda when I'm at a restaurant and they lack any other beverage with a redeemable quality and I have some reason I'd rather not want water. I also avoid cola entirely so I've never experienced this. My mom, however, does drink Diet Coke so I'll ask her... (BRB) (Back) No, she's never experienced this, though recently she's been drinking less Diet Coke. Therefore, maybe it's a recent thing that's pathological to your local Coke bottling plant?

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:19 am UTC

I drink a couple of pots of coffee a day, have a couple of sodas or tea with lunch, and usually make espresso in the morning. My metabolism is fine, I don't get caffeine headaches when it's not around, and the whole thing just helps me get work done. I have ricockulously low blood pressure and can usually drink coffee and go to bed immediately.

I've also never encountered a skunky soda, but then, I drink canned. Coca-Cola is bottled locally, though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding who to blame.

Oh, and colas are natural. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola

jacqueline

Postby jacqueline » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:41 am UTC

You know back in my brief orkut-ing days, I was in a group strictly for diet coke lovers (/fiends), and I recall learning that - those expiration dates? really DO matter. I personally have never come across this issue though. Did you check the dates on said skunky bottles?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:34 am UTC

Never happened to me (who drinks copious amounts of Coke) or my wife (who drinks even more Diet Coke). That said, ours is different to what you get in the US, so it's probably not a valid comparison.

(Also, re: rant against caffeinated sodas - I don't get why the caffeine is relevant, or how the fact that it makes you fat is relevant when we're discussing diet drinks. I figure I'm lucky that I drink heaps of the sugary non-diet stuff [made with real sugar, not corn syrup] and I'm actually losing weight.)

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:37 am UTC

To the person who suggested taking pictures: Scents dont photograph and theres no other evidence of a nasty one.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:38 am UTC

That said, ours is different to what you get in the US

I know, it's made with sucralose everywhere else, people actually like the taste of aspartame here! At least it's extra-caffeinated.

xkcd_n00bz

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:This is why I have a crusade against caffinated sodas. They're fucking disgusting and can throw your entire body chemistry off.

Teas and coffees are fine in moderation (I admit I love tea and coffee, but they're natural), but sodas are fucking nasty--and they make you gain tons of weight. And make you smell. And no one drinks only one a day or something--people always drink cans and cans of it and then you reek like a filthy gaming store. I haven't drank a soda in months and if I do, it burns and hurts for days from the acids in it. Not. Healthy.

I am the exception that proves the rule. One Coke , every morning. (usually cherry or vanilla; diet coke is teh nastay) I will have more than that at a frequency of less than once a month.

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:I just find that my throat is dry later, and a few friends lost weight when they didn't drink 'em anymore. I'm not flaming; I don't mind if someone drinks them, but if a product can smell like a bellybutton if it's a manufacturing error, I just would avoid it altogether. I can't imagine why the sodas are like that sometimes, you know, skanky. I just personally find 'em icky in general, but as to what causes the bellybutton smell? Got me.

It is not possible to gain weight by drinking Diet Coke.

The caffiene and digestion will burn off the energy in the drink.

It is possible to die (Quickly) if all you drink is diet coke. The same processes that burn the energy, etc, rip through water, and Diet Coke and Coke zero are immensely de-hydrating.

That may go some way towards your percieved smell issue.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

jacqueline

Postby jacqueline » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

VannA wrote:It is possible to die (Quickly) if all you drink is diet coke. The same processes that burn the energy, etc, rip through water, and Diet Coke and Coke zero are immensely de-hydrating.

[citation needed]

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

I've had this happen to me. It was a can of Diet Coke out of a vending machine, and the can just looked old, and it tasted disgusting.

So maybe it's the expiration date?
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:This is why I have a crusade against caffinated sodas.

Teas and coffees are fine in moderation (I admit I love tea and coffee, but they're natural), but sodas are fucking nasty...

I hate the "it's natural" argument as justification for use of a substance (e.g. drug, vitamin, purgative, etc.). Just because something is natural, doesn't make it harmless. Has it occured to you that box jellyfish venom is natural?
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I hate the "it's natural" argument

The real absurdity is made apparent by inverting it:

"No unnatural ingredients!"

"One-hundred-percent heart-healthy whole-grain wheat, and no ectoplasm."

jacqueline

Postby jacqueline » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

Axman wrote:"One-hundred-percent heart-healthy whole-grain wheat, and no ectoplasm."

Oh, that's awesome, I'd totally buy that bread.

How about "Now with 100% more imaginary pixie dust IN EACH SLICE"
I am assuming that current varieties of bread have little-to-no imaginary pixie dust. I'll be looking to hire a few people with good imaginations - experience with graphic design is a plus (I figure that pixie dust imagining can easily be done concurrently with pixie packaging design).

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

jacqueline wrote: How about "Now with 100% more imaginary pixie dust IN EACH SLICE"
I am assuming that current varieties of bread have little-to-no imaginary pixie dust.

I suspect that presently, there is no pixie dust in the bread you eat. Assuming this to be true, you can start marketing the same bread with "100% more pixie dust" and it won't be a lie.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

jacqueline wrote:
VannA wrote:It is possible to die (Quickly) if all you drink is diet coke. The same processes that burn the energy, etc, rip through water, and Diet Coke and Coke zero are immensely de-hydrating.

[citation needed]

Not really. Ever take biology in high school? Metabolizing sugar is a process which consumes water. Soda and beer are dehydrating; dunno about coffee. If you all you drink is soda, the only place you're getting water is from solid food, and that's not even enough to replace what you lose metabolizing the soda. Unless maybe you are living on watermelon.

EDIT: I FORGOT THAT DIET COKE HAS NO SUGAR SAD FACE
Last edited by Bakemaster on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

I'm apparently some manner of freak creature, then.

All I drink is soda. To the point that I lost several thousand calories out of my diet when I switched to diet. (Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner, either.

I somehow live.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chase

Postby Chase » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Aspartame and phenylalalalalalanines give me stomach aches, so I avoid diet sodas.

Corn syrup is also nasty (but not painfully) so most other soft drinks are right out.

Axman wrote:I have ricockulously low blood pressure and can usually drink coffee and go to bed immediately.

Oh me yarm! I'm not the only one! Yay! d (^_^) b
I thought I was some freak of nature when I had a cup of coffee and then zonked out like caffeine was a myth.
Principia Discordia wrote:Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

My only fluid intake is such: 4-5 12 oz cans of Dr. Pepper daily, and a 32oz bottle of Gatorade split throught the day.

I sometimes don't eat for days, mostly because I don't get hungry that often.

I live, I'm not diabetic. My blood pressure straddles 120/80 by a point either way, no matter when I take it (exercise not counting). I eat what I want, when I want. Big piece of steak? Fuck yeah. Salad? Sure.

I'm not dead, I look okay, and plus: I'm happy.

[Edit]: I forgot to quote Belial, as in saying "Yeah, same here."

Ess

Postby Ess » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Well, I don't drink Diet Coke because me consuming aspartame = stomach cramps, and I've never had any soda that smelled like ass, but I've had some bottles/cans of Coke that had some slightly chunky gunk in them. I've drank RC Cola, which tends to have some gunk in it regularly, since I was a small child, so that doesn't faze me a bit.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Actually coke in general isn't very good. PEPSI is good, mountain dew as well (generally any of them, though pitch black wasn't all that great). Though honestly, I can't stand diet pop, it tastes like crap IMO, doesn't matter the brand.

Never seen a bad bottle/can/ect. of pop though, so I have no idea what to say there.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:10 am UTC

Victorkm wrote:To the person who suggested taking pictures: Scents dont photograph

Not yet they don't.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Actually coke in general isn't very good. PEPSI is good, mountain dew as well (generally any of them, though pitch black wasn't all that great). Though honestly, I can't stand diet pop, it tastes like crap IMO, doesn't matter the brand.

Actually, they've done studies. You prefer which one you want to prefer, not which one excites your taste more.

They tested it. People would get a big jolt from the reward sector of the brain which would outweigh the slightly larger jolt from the this-tastes-good-department.

So, for taste and soda, it literally is all in your head.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

Return to “General”