Heated Gloves

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Diemo

Heated Gloves

Postby Diemo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:15 am UTC

My girlfriend is a runner who has poor circulation, and when she comes back from running her hands tend to be really really cold. I was thinking about getting her a pair of heated gloves for Christmas, but am a bit skeptical on whether or not they work. Do any of ye have any experience with them? I have noticed that some gloves go up to the hundreds of dollars whereas some are only about 10 pounds, is it worthwhile getting the more expensive ones?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Heated Gloves

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

You can find mittens/gloves that have a pocket to hold a chemical hand warmer packet that should be fine for a run, unless she goes out for hours.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:24 am UTC

As someone who works outside year round, don't bother with the expensive ones. We tend to use the chemical hand warmers (Hot Hands are the best, IMO), and a double layer of wool/leather gloves (Wool is better, as it breathes and stays warm even when wet, but leather acts as a windbreaker).

We work at temperatures down to -30 F, so that should work for anyone out running.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:39 am UTC

What has been her experience been with running with normal gloves, that don't cost an extraordinary amount of renminbi?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

Sorry, I missed the replies to this.

PastryChef wrote:You can find mittens/gloves that have a pocket to hold a chemical hand warmer packet that should be fine for a run, unless she goes out for hours.

She tends to run for approximately 2 hours, so that is the range I was looking at for remaining heated.

eran_rathan wrote:As someone who works outside year round, don't bother with the expensive ones. We tend to use the chemical hand warmers (Hot Hands are the best, IMO), and a double layer of wool/leather gloves (Wool is better, as it breathes and stays warm even when wet, but leather acts as a windbreaker).

We work at temperatures down to -30 F, so that should work for anyone out running.

You mean something like these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Instant- ... nd+warmers
Getting them seems pretty good (they last about a half hour each but can take more than one).

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:What has been her experience been with running with normal gloves, that don't cost an extraordinary amount of renminbi?

At the moment, she runs with two pairs of gloves on, an inside pair of gloves (which doesn't have great insulation tbf) and a pair of ski gloves (which does). I suspect that she has Reynaud's Syndrome, hence why I am specifically looking at heated gloves.

I bought these gloves from primrose: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
mainly because they were pretty cheap and I wanted to test the waters. As gloves they seem really good, but I don't think the heating system works at all (at least i can't tell a difference, though I was testing in my (quite warm) house so maybe the heat is just pretty small). I'm thinking that I can get her the silicon hand warmers as well, and with the combination hopefully she will be able to run with warm hands.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:06 am UTC

Diemo wrote:You mean something like these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Instant- ... nd+warmers
Getting them seems pretty good (they last about a half hour each but can take more than one).
Just as a heads up, before you start buying them by the case - chemical hand warmers like those are good for pretty much a whole day outside. The reusable ones, with the metal clicker disc in a supersaturated sodium acetate solution, are good for about half an hour. They also get much warmer, but are much larger and have a much less even heating profile (they get quite hot quite quickly then slowly cool down).
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 am UTC

I found that getting a good pair of liners for my snow gloves really helped, honestly. Then I realized not going into the outside when it's cold out helped more. Ymmv.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”