A feeble and pointless request about the color of text

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ciaranbenson

A feeble and pointless request about the color of text

Postby ciaranbenson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

Dear to whom it may concern,

A friend of mine is triggered by grey text. Recently, he claimed that the xkcd site uses grey text and asked that I; "Ask the xkcd guy not to use 50 grey on white." Because, apparently, I can do that.

However, after a careful analysis of three (3) pages on the site, I find no evidence of "50 grey on white".

Faced with the alternative of trying to explain the absence of "50 grey on white", or registering for the forum and posting a feeble and pointless post about his complaint in the "All Sound And Fury" board, then fetching myself a fresh beer and sending him a screenshot of myself complying with his request, the choice is obvious.

Kindest regards,

Me.

Sizik

Re: A feeble and pointless request about the color of text

Postby Sizik » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 pm UTC

This comic has some gray text, maybe that's what he's referring to?
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 pm UTC

ciaranbenson wrote:A friend of mine is triggered by grey text.

I don't want to appear as an asshole (OH WAIT THAT'S MY THING) by questioning someone's issues and all, but... can you elaborate? Is there some backstory that can be safely shared that would explain this, or further details that would explain it?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 pm UTC

I'm curious. Triggered how? What's his beef with grey?

In any case, good call. May the beer be cool and refreshing.

ciaranbenson

Postby ciaranbenson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

Wow! Thanks for the replies ^_^ You are all esteemed and worthy gentle beings of high caliber.

I have to be honest and say I'm not entirely sure what my friend is referring to.

Personally I find the use of grey on the xkcd site to be very well done and very informative - like on the Car Models cartoon Sizik linked. Throughout the site, it seems to me that the color of the text is being used appropriately (when it is rarely used) to highlight the differences between the sets of data.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I'm curious. Triggered how? What's his beef with grey?

It's rather obvious: his nemesis is called Brian Craig Benjamin Carl Bruce Charleston and once tweeted his initials with a hashtag, which placed a HEX upon him.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ciaranbenson

Postby ciaranbenson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

I'm curious. Triggered how? What's his beef with grey?

In any case, good call. May the beer be cool and refreshing.

I wish I could elaborate. If I were to speculate, it would be that my friend's eyes or whatever platform they are viewing things with have reached a point where 50% grey = white for all intents and purposes.

Maybe it's an accessibility issue?

To be honest, my post is more of a case of me acting out than anything else … except … I just finished the quiz, and a small part of me is wondering whether there isn't some sort of incredibly clever (however cruel it might be) test that could be done around this kind of issue.

Here we are, well into the Post-Web-2.0 days, and the new paradigm seems to be flatter user interfaces with fewer colors … I wonder what that's like for someone who doesn't see things in high def?

I suspect that every time my friend groans in agony because of "another site with 50% grey", he's living in that world.

Long story short; I just wanted to do full diligence to his request that I "tell the guy" because on one hand I was struck by how odd it would be that I might actually be able to do something very like "due diligence" on this, and on the other it strikes me as something that a million monkeys at a million typewriters might be able to do something interesting with.

Speaking as one of those monkeys, I'm still intrigued by something here, and I can't quite figure out what it might be.

ciaranbenson

Postby ciaranbenson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

By the way, the beer was astonishingly good. I might have another.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I'm curious. Triggered how? What's his beef with grey?

It's rather obvious: his nemesis is called Brian Craig Benjamin Carl Bruce Charleston and once tweeted his initials with a hashtag, which placed a HEX upon him.

*polite clap*

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:53 am UTC

Is this person referring to the comic, or to the blog, or to the fora? In any case, he or she could set up their own stylesheet in their browser to take care of text color and such, and if the issue is in the fora, can select a different forum theme (with different colors). If they are looking at a flatscreen monitor, the viewing angle will influence color and contrast a lot.

But yes, in general I am annoyed by the general trend towards monochrome low-contrast themes all over. It just makes it hard to identify what it is I'm looking at (which window is active, which message is being displayed, etc.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ciaranbenson

Postby ciaranbenson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Is this person referring to the comic, or to the blog, or to the fora? In any case, he or she could set up their own stylesheet in their browser to take care of text color and such, and if the issue is in the fora, can select a different forum theme (with different colors). If they are looking at a flatscreen monitor, the viewing angle will influence color and contrast a lot.

But yes, in general I am annoyed by the general trend towards monochrome low-contrast themes all over. It just makes it hard to identify what it is I'm looking at (which window is active, which message is being displayed, etc.)

Jose

After further discussion, they didn't like the color of the description text on the survey. I asked them why they don't just tell their browser what they want and override the websites, but I suspect the answer is a little along the lines of "It's bad user interface design" so, there's some religion involved.

I definitely agree that the low-contrast themes are becoming our new Web Overlords … I kind of actually miss "Web 2.0" with it's bright, glistening buttons sometimes.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am UTC

ucim wrote:Is this person referring to the comic, or to the blog, or to the fora? In any case, he or she could set up their own stylesheet in their browser to take care of text color and such, and if the issue is in the fora, can select a different forum theme (with different colors). If they are looking at a flatscreen monitor, the viewing angle will influence color and contrast a lot.

Jose

I use Internet explorer at work. One of the major irritations is that the difference in appearance between tabs pointing at different domains is bigger than the difference between the active tab and the others.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

ciaranbenson wrote:

Jose

After further discussion, they didn't like the color of the description text on the survey. I asked them why they don't just tell their browser what they want and override the websites, but I suspect the answer is a little along the lines of "It's bad user interface design" so, there's some religion involved.

I definitely agree that the low-contrast themes are becoming our new Web Overlords … I kind of actually miss "Web 2.0" with it's bright, glistening buttons sometimes.

That.. doesn't sound like a trigger. If it's generating headaches, that's different, but still an unusual word choice. Was that you choice, or the friend's?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:59 am UTC

It's really hard not to laugh. Does he or she frequent tumblr a lot by chance?

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Yes, I must say it trivializes the traumatic flashbacks of actual PTSD sufferers when the phrase "is triggered by" is used interchangeably with "gets rather annoyed by."

Return to “General”