Mens Formal(ish) Wear

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Mens Formal(ish) Wear

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Figured this was as good as any place to talk about and ask.

For my upcoming wedding (woo!) I'm looking for a vest to wear. I want to look nice, not too formal but definitely nicer than 'Oh I just threw this on'. For context, we'll be outdoors, in September, and barefoot. I like vests. Like, a lot.

I personally like this in both the Natural and Navy colors, probably with a non-patterned (or maybe herringbone) shirt.

So, my question to you dapper as fuck gentlefolk of the forums, what other suggestions for making me look ravishing on my wedding day? Any other vest styles?

And also, obviously feel free to discuss other mens formal wear type things. No Fedoras.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Mens Formal(ish) Wear

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 pm UTC

Barefoot? How about ending the celebration with a trip to the ER to dig that pointy thing out of your foot?
A good way to get an idea of available/possible styles is to look at pattern books at a fabric store. Heck, you can probably find them online these days. If you find one you like, you can get fabric you love, then have it made. Vests are relatively simple, so it shouldn't cost too much.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Barefoot? How about ending the celebration with a trip to the ER to dig that pointy thing out of your foot?
Wat, no you're crazy. The outdoors are full of grass and soft things. I have hobbits feet.

PAstrychef wrote:A good way to get an idea of available/possible styles is to look at pattern books at a fabric store. Heck, you can probably find them online these days. If you find one you like, you can get fabric you love, then have it made. Vests are relatively simple, so it shouldn't cost too much.
I hadn't considered having a vest custom tailored. Most of the vests I'm seeing range in price from 80-130$, do you think getting one tailored would be around that?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Vests are definitely a hard piece of clothing, because it's very easy to make them look not so good. Pairing them with matching pants is usually the safest option for a good harmonious look. For a summer wedding, I might go with the lighter colors, but that also depends on the time of day of the ceremony as well. Try looking for something made from linen, which will keep rather cool in the heat of the summer.

JCrew has some good, lighter color summer options for vests. I've been a big fan of their Ludlow suits. Price is similar to the vest you linked. Plus side here is that you can also get the matching pair of pants.

Mr Porter has some really nice stuff as well, like this one, but the price almost double(!) that of the Nordstrom one you linked.

Perhaps there might be something nice on Bonobos, but, I haven't checked.

Brooks Brothers has a great suiting selection. Couple of good vest options in there. Their look generally skews a bit older, a bit more ivy.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:JCrew has some good, lighter color summer options for vests. I've been a big fan of their Ludlow suits. Price is similar to the vest you linked. Plus side here is that you can also get the matching pair of pants.
I actually purchased two of those vests and slacks to try on last Friday. For a friends wedding, I was for some reason in charge of what the groomsmen (and ultimately the groom) wore, and the bride and I went with a calvin klein grey vest/slacks, which I've gotten an enormous amount of use out of.

[url]Mr Porter has some really nice stuff as well, like this one, but the price almost double(!) that of the Nordstrom one you linked.[/url]I liked the one you linked, but like this onebetter, for less formal occasions.

Brooks Brothers has good quality stuff, but you're right, most of the cuts are catered to an older style (and older man!) which I find generally is less flattering to my body type. I'm slim fit in most styles, brooks brothers tends to make me look like I'm wearing a very expensive parachute.

I suppose as another talking point, what are people's experiences getting shirts tailored? I'm kind of broad chested, so a lot shirts that fit tend to be super baggy around the waist/back.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

Alex has this sort of problem with shirts as well, his shoulders are very wide, but his waist is very slim. I had my grandma alter one of his shirts, and it came out very nicely. I think a taylor could do similar or better. We also have had better luck with just buying shirts that are "slim fit," "modern fit," or "athletic fit." If it says "classic fit," that means it's not going to be very fitted at all.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

I suppose as another talking point, what are people's experiences getting shirts tailored? I'm kind of broad chested, so a lot shirts that fit tend to be super baggy around the waist/back.

Works well - taking in a shirt around the waist is straightforward. Aim to get the shoulders right in the shop, they can't fix that afterwards. Same goes for jackets, a little extra money on tailoring can turn a jacket completely around.

I usually buy tailored shirts from China. You measure a shirt that you own that fits well, perhaps twerk the numbers a bit, and they'll send you a shirt that fits very well. I've got good experience with MyTailor.com, though they are slowww.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 pm UTC

What's the price point per shirt? And do you suggest going to a tailor and getting measured?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

Find a tailoring place near your local military base. They're usually fast and cheap. Given the quantity of military dress uniforms, they will be pretty damned efficient at tailoring menswear unless you want something particularly odd. Broad chested will not qualify as odd.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:17 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What's the price point per shirt? And do you suggest going to a tailor and getting measured?

About $100. For the online shirt makers, I have more faith in shirt measurements than going to a local tailor and getting measured.

If you buy a shirt or jacket, just visit the tailor and ask what they can do. They'll pin the adjustments for you to see, so you can decide on how you want it.Some shops will do this as a service if you pay full retail price.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

Taking a shirt in is relatively inexpensive (anywhere between $10-$30 I'd expect, depending on location), jackets obviously more so.

Return to “General”