Using multiple mice and keyboards on one computer

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poochyena

Using multiple mice and keyboards on one computer

Postby poochyena » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 am UTC

I found this site http://pluralinput.com/ and it seems to basically do what i'm wanting, but its a little buggy (it is in beta though). I'm just wondering if there are any more solutions to being able to use more than one mouse and keyboard. After some searching, i was amazed to not find much, and very surprised i haven't heard much about people doing it.

This would seem very useful for schools and libraries, only needing to buy a few computers instead of one computer for ever monitor.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Using multiple mice and keyboards on one computer

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:12 am UTC

...until it's at half capacity and two people are fighting for control.

At any rate, USB hubs. Hook 50 keyboards and 50 mice up, no problem. Splitting a monitor signal to multiple monitors is a little more complicated, but might as well not even bother and just buy a projector at that time.

And then watch the fistfights commence as people argue for control.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:23 am UTC

I didn't poke around that site much, but it sounds like it's pretty much just a multiseat utility, but without the practical bits that let multiple people do useful things at the same time?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

This seems to be what i'm looking for, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/multipoint/ Thank you PhoenixEnigma

SeconTalon, I don't see what you mean, in settings like libraries and classrooms, people will mostly just be using a browser and/or word processing program, which, even the cheapest computers can open multiple of.
And with more powerful computers like mine, can be used to open up games and photoshop and etc, so while i game, my friend can draw, or even open up 2 games so me and a friend can play the same single player game with a mouse and keyboard at the same time on the same computer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

Your comment of
This would seem very useful for schools and libraries, only needing to buy a few computers instead of one computer for ever monitor.
is nonsensical in my experience working with schools and libraries, some of which are strapped for cash.

They'll just have fewer computers. End of story. Because it's a school. Their tech person may have formal training... but probably not. The public library tech might be a volunteer who also lacks formal training. The odds of them knowing how to set this up and supporting it are fairly low.

And that's before we even get in to how the tower usually costs as much as the monitor these days, for a low end POS machine. Take $200 off every two users, but add 15 minutes of setup time and create a situation where the in-room teacher may not be able to provide support when something malfunctions, requiring the on-site staff to do more tech support runs for minor issues due to the added complications.

I just don't see it making sense on a large scale.

I do see it making sense if you have a particular piece of non-networked equipment that has to be accessed intermittently by multiple users. Rather than buying multiple $40,000 plotters or lathes or what the hell ever, you just run all the users through the one machine connected to it. That makes sense.

Using it as a cost-saving measure in a multi-user "Computer Lab" setting? That just doesn't make sense to me. You trade off your immediate savings for future costs of a setup that's more difficult to maintain.

And hell, in your larger settings, it'd be cheaper and easier to maintain to just buy a bunch of thin clients and run everything through a terminal server.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:05 am UTC

For one of my computer science classes a couple springs ago, we were required to write in Objective-C on the school's macs (if you didn't have access to one of your own). Up to five people could log on to the macs at any time, getting a different environment.

It was a nightmare. I (along with the majority of the class) couldn't finish my midterm because the computer was so slow, taking sometimes several minutes to process the interrupts sent from my desktop down the hall, and I was sharing my mac with only two or three other students. It could have been that the remote desktop software was poorly written (it was in a beta), or more likely that macs (specifically OS X or any other desktop OS) are not designed with the intention of functioning as a mainframe with five terminals. Especially since other remote desktop software didn't fix the problem.

Point is,doing this requires at least one top of the line CPU and a fast intranet, and even then anything graphics-intensive is probably out. Desktops are basically designed for one user at a time; for anything more, you would need access to a mainframe (which ARE designed for multiple users, each in their own sandbox); however, my (little) mainframe experience suggests you will be working exclusively with a program that runs in a command line terminal.

Return to “General”