Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PinkShinyRose

Re: Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I hate to burst the Time Waiters' (or are you guys something else now there's nothing to wait for) bubble, but filters don't work in the OTT.

They still don't? So the OTTers still tinnot easily use you to enhance their vocabulary? Is this on purpose?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

karhell wrote:a perfectly sensible OTTification, that's what :D

Yup, looked quite steakish to me. Image

The RECKONING is probably the OTTers' favorite fora holidip, apart from the Timeversary. Nothing like adding some intentional mustard to spice up our semencoffeecancerbaconstarsandbabiesonice.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

I wonder if people will read this as "... star sand babies .." or "...stars and babies..." . . .

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I wonder if people will read this as "... star sand babies .." or "...stars and babies..." . . .

I read "... starsand babies..."

I figured starsand was related to stardust.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Oh, hey BlitzGirl! Congrats for post 5400th!

Have some Cookies Ice Cream!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

Thanks, Vytron! Image

orangedragonfire wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I wonder if people will read this as "... star sand babies .." or "...stars and babies..." . . .

I read "... starsand babies..."

I figured starsand was related to stardust.

Steakish! It's all related, but that relates especially to this What-if.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Have some Cookies Ice Cream!

Waaaaait. Cookies ice cream is clearly vanilla based. You're totally scum, aren't you?

FoS Vytron!

Oh wait. Neither of us are in that game, are we? >.> :wink:
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Expecting these kinds of annoyances in the next Madness, last time it was just word filtering! Bring something that would really make me want to take a one week break off the forums, I challenge you!

Given your current annoyance trajectory, the only thing you should expect is to take an enforced vacation.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Angua wrote:I hate to burst the Time Waiters' (or are you guys something else now there's nothing to wait for) bubble, but filters don't work in the OTT.

They still don't? So the OTTers still tinnot easily use you to enhance their vocabulary? Is this on purpose?

Yup, at some point during last year's MADNESS the filters were turned off for posts (but not quotes) in the Time thread and it has stayed this way. There are a few words that are filtered year round everywhere else in the fora, which is how we noticed after the rest were turned off. As for why, only the Mods truly know. But it has been speculated that it was an act of benevolence since we were actively following the frame updates and needed to have at least partially coherent (to us) dialog.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm UTC

One of the big reasons the Reckoning wrecked the OTT is because the word "Time" got filtered, and the frames of the comic are labeled in the format http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/860e65 ... 0edcb1.png so there was no way to accurately link to or post them.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:One of the big reasons the Reckoning wrecked the OTT is because the word "Time" got filtered, and the frames of the comic are labeled in the format http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/860e65 ... 0edcb1.png so there was no way to accurately link to or post them.

I believe the mysterONGs have no such weakness, so long as their urls don't have any ch*rpable substrings. Bring it on.

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

Steak-like translations, karrhell and azule!

Spoiler:
I
Spoiler:
especially
Spoiler:
enjoyed
Spoiler:
the
Spoiler:
Panther Salve
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Hang on, let me OTTify that for you...

SexyTalon wrote:It's rolling on that time of yip again.

So that means it's Time for the yiply reminder - Mod Reckoning is coming.

If you've gone through it before, you know what to expect. You also know better than to complain about it, so feel free to spend a wip in the basement when it starts. The moderation staff is more than molpish to assist you on this.

If this is your first time going through it. Oh boy. Boy howdy. Things are gonna get epsilon. If you thought the OTT was mustardy now, just
Spoiler:

When will all this start? Hard to say - used to be before Silly Molpy Dip, now it tends to coincide with it. This Time? Eh.. when things stop making sense, you'll know it's started.

How lONG does it last? Used to be a couple of wips, now it's down to one as frankly, one is about all anymolpy can take.

[...]

Lots of people make a hotdog of trying to figure out what the filtered words actually are. They usually build quite seaish lists that only get 30-40% of the filters made.

Don't like it? Build a Time-machine and stop Internetmeme from giving us the idea. Or... as I said earlier, just take the wip off when things start to go mustardy.

There, now put the filters in just like I did for your post...

FTFY, it wasn't quite OTTish enough.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:FTFY, it wasn't quite OTTish enough.

Yeah, I don't know why I forgot about epsilon. :|

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:But yeah, mods! Pay attention! Step it up! If you don't have filters that change words into empty spoilers then you're not as powerful as you think you are!

See, now, here's the thing. This is our playtime now. You're just along for the ride. If you make suggestions... chances are they aren't going to happen. If you make demands... you may make us upset. And that could end badly for you.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

Yes, mod madness! My favourite time of year on the fora. I can't wait. Things are so much fun when they don't make any sense.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

I completely forgot that internetmeme of all people is the person who came up with this. Oh man that was way back when I used to come on this forum.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 am UTC

Funny how that happens, isn't it?
Now I miss him. And you. And all of the old folks in FaiD that don't post too much anymore.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 am UTC

A part of me almost (almost) hopes tomorrow's comic will be another one that attracts horrible MRA-types, so we can actively fuck with their discussion and drive them to raegquaat and then lock the comic thread after a few days.

Sure, the thread like that a couple years ago was pretty awful, but awesomeifying it proved rather cathartic, at least for me. Last year it felt like the mods were in an incomprehensibility competition with the OTTers, which we lost badly.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:A part of me almost (almost) hopes tomorrow's comic will be another one that attracts horrible MRA-types, so we can actively fuck with their discussion and drive them to raegquaat and then lock the comic thread after a few days.

Sure, the thread like that a couple years ago was pretty awful, but awesomeifying it proved rather cathartic, at least for me. Last year it felt like the mods were in an incomprehensibility competition with the OTTers, which we lost badly.

I eagerly anticipate your showing this year. 'Twill be brillious, and the only loser shall be the English language.

Eternal Density

Re: Poral Wholphin 2014 : Ye Sayings

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:35 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:A part of me almost (almost) hopes tomorrow's comic will be another one that attracts horrible MRA-types, so we can actively fuck with their discussion and drive them to raegquaat and then lock the comic thread after a few days.

Those magnetic resonance angiograms have it coming.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 am UTC

Was just thinking it was about time for this yesterday. Oddly, my reaction when I saw the announcement was along the lines of "Hwæt? Ollræcdig?"
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Eternal Density

Hordle maype loboritude, quink?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Was just thinking it was about time for this yesterday. Oddly, my reaction when I saw the announcement was along the lines of "Hwæt? Ollræcdig?"

Only on tinnada.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 am UTC

roband wrote:the fuck is that?

It is what normal Engish will be in 11k year if us OTTers have something to say about it.

Is that a hint that the Mod Madness will turn Outsiderish1 to OTTish2?

1commonly called English.
2the language in the Time Thread.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:20 am UTC

now THAT would be molpish ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am UTC

Hopefully this year it won't be incredibly lame again.

Doubtful.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 am UTC

Damn mods, you gonna sit there and let them do you like that? Sheeeeeeee-it.

I may have been watching The Wire a lot recently.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 am UTC

teelo wrote:Hopefully this year it won't be incredibly lame again.

Doubtful.

Meh, there is no accounting for taste.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:28 am UTC

phlip wrote:See, now, here's the thing. This is our playtime now. You're just along for the ride. If you make suggestions... chances are they aren't going to happen. If you make demands... you may make us upset. And that could end badly for you.

I hope we heed this advice. Suggesting things, no matter how treeish* the idea may seem for all parties, will back-fire simply because it undermines what Mod Madness is all about. The Mods will have plenty of awefulsome suggestions in their own subforums. And honestly, it's a webcomic forum. If I start getting ch*rped off by a webcomic forum, I seriously need to find something else to do for a week or two. (Hmmm... How about Cookie Clicker? Canabalt? Minecraft... there are so many choices!)

Also, I don't know what that "Purple Pizzazz" thing was supposed to be about but I'd say that colour is too close to the red reserved for Mods.

*meaning "neat", not "Ent-like". Time Thread jargon…
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Heh, I joined the turn your name Purple Pizzazz* club because I thought it was going to be fun, and it was. But, every year? Come on. At least don't be lazy this time around and change our avatars and signatures to something funny every day or something, last year it was kind of lazy.

roband wrote:the fuck is that?

Glad to be part of the group of people in the world with no problem whatsoever to understand OTTspeak (despite skipping hundreds of pages on the Tread instead of blitztreking them), though I've got to say that despite Earthling on Mars's transOTTion being awefulsome I expected it to be a chirped a lot more (unless... it was but I can no longer tell the difference between real words and made up ones.)

But yeah, mods! Pay attention! Step it up! If you don't have filters that change words into empty spoilers then you're not as powerful as you think you are!

Spoiler:
Again, This is pink, and this is Purple Pizzazz.

Usernames get changed to this color.

Now, compare them and tell me if it makes more sense to say "usernames turn pink" or "usernames turn purple pizzazz".

Because there's no other named color that is closer (believe me, I spent 15 minutes researching this.)

And, anyway, I doubt you can even tell the difference between FF00BF and Purple Pizzazz:

Which one is which? Can you tell without your color picker?

Eh?

I just hope people don't keep calling it pink just to annoy me.

POST PREVIEW - oh well, it's clear the darker one is FF00BF... so never mind. MY point stands pink doesn't look anything like it. Why couldn't crayola name Purple Pizzazz as the color with 100% red and 75% blue? And why hasn't anyone named that color yet? *sigh*

I barely even noticed it was changed, myself. That may say something about why even the mods avoid us now.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

Nah that can't be it. Most likely they can't handle such molpishness.

he/him/his

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

So, in the vein of not giving orders, but making suggestions so that they can not be followed, I have two reckoning suggestions:

1)Include the OTT
2) don't Include the OTT

If you can ignore both, I'll be impressed.
“have i gone mad?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:If you can ignore both, I'll be impressed.

Oh, that's simple. I've been completely ignoring the Time thread for over a year now, so whether the filters include that thread or not, I won't care. Both options successfully ignored.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Dracomax wrote:If you can ignore both, I'll be impressed.

Oh, that's simple. I've been completely ignoring the Time thread for over a year now, so whether the filters include that thread or not, I won't care. Both options successfully ignored.

I'm impressed?

Okay, if all of the mods can simultaneous manage to not fulfill either of those suggestions, I'll be more impressed?
“have i gone mad?

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:21 pm UTC

phlip wrote:I've been completely ignoring the Time thread for over a year now...

Epsilon, considering the first Timeversary is not yet e'en upon us :?
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Time passes differently when you're busy restoring worlds, I suppose
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
phlip wrote:
Dracomax wrote:So, in the vein of not giving orders, but making suggestions so that they can not be followed, I have two reckoning suggestions:

1)Include the OTT
2) don't Include the OTT

If you can ignore both, I'll be impressed.
I'm impressed?

Okay, if all of the mods can simultaneous manage to not fulfill either of those suggestions, I'll be more impressed?
We will ignore both of those suggestions by default, even if we weren't equally as apathetic as phlip -- because we have no agency in those exceptions. They exist because Randall was (uncharacteristically) paying attention to the thread and did whatever.

So, get started on that whole 'be more impressed' thing?

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:We will ignore both of those suggestions by default, even if we weren't equally as apathetic as phlip -- because we have no agency in those exceptions. They exist because Randall was (uncharacteristically) paying attention to the thread and did whatever.

So, get started on that whole 'be more impressed' thing?

GLR is an OTTer :?: :shock: I knew it!

ETA: My first post outside of OTT. Wow. Didn't see that coming. Then again, this here needle-pulled thingy is starting to look suspiciously like the OTT, so it doesn't count. Right? Guys?
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

Flado wrote:ETA: My first post Outsideh the OTT. Baobabs! Lucky. Then again, this here needle-pulled thingy is starting to look suspiciously ʀᴇʟᴀᴛᴇᴅ, so it doesn't count. Right? Xuys?

Not enough OTTish, so it does count. FTFY. (or should that be OTFY)

Also, it is rather treeish that some words from last yip's RECKONING are still being used.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

Flado wrote:GLR is an OTTer?

I pay attention to what my friend Catherine is up to, but I am not a cat.

Return to “General”