Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: Fluff

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

I disagree with all of that except the cape. Focusing on things you know you can accomplish is how to get things done. Spreading yourself too thin on issues no one can fix is how to get nothing done. Perhaps never killing is also a little out of date, but I have no strong feelings on that.

Granted, I don't read comics, but Iron Man tends to cause his own problems, making a bigger mess instead of reducing what is around him. When he fixes the messes he causes, then things have returned to status quo. They are not better.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

The character of Clark Kent as he stands these days is basically the opposite of Batman.

And yes, I chose those names for a specific reason.

Clark Kent is, as his core, a Kansas farmboy. He did chores, got vague enough to be mostly inoffensive Christianity instilled in him,got a lot of "Men treat women with respect" but tempered by feminism's "Women are totes people", probably was a actual Boy Scout, likely met his high school sweetheart at the local diner on Fridays or after school, probably did some inappropriate things in the backseat of a car or in a truck on some seldom traveled road and so on. He grew up, got a journalism degree and now works for a laughably outdated newspaper (which works well with his vaguely behind-the-times morality) and met a much more cynical woman that he ended up falling for.

That he happens to be an alien with the raw physical strength and speed to completely dismantle a skyscraper in a few seconds by punching it a lot is incidental.

He's a farmboy in the big city. He knows a lot, isn't exactly naive, but he's got the idealized small town mentality of "Everyone's good at heart, they just need a chance to prove it" stuck in his brain.

He also has exceptional hearing. Which means he can't help but hear people in distress. I don't just mean people trapped in burning buildings, though he hears that - he hears people wondering out loud where they're going to get the money to pay a certain bill, where they're going to eat next or if they even are, that they just got a terminal cancer diagnosis and so on.

So his idealized small town upbringing of "Do what you can to the best of your abilities" kicks in, and he's off saving puppies, pulling people out of burning buildings and punching giant robots.

Why doesn't he do more? He doesn't want to rule. He knows he's physically superior in every single way, and he knows there's nothing anyone could do to stop him if he really wanted to take over. Batman wouldn't stand a chance. He's also American, small-town, midwest.. so he's got a lot of the attitude of helping others... but also one of sorting out your own shit. Helping is fine, taking control is not.

He puts on the disguise of Superman to go and do what he believes he has to do, but he'd stop doing it if he thought everything would get along fine without him. He also doesn't see himself as having the authority to be the judge, jury and executioner. One could argue that, much like Batman's foes, things would be better off if he'd just kill them.

That's not his job. His job isn't even to arrest them, though he does. It's the judicial system's job to sentence them to death and carry out the execution.

And if the grand State of *cough cough* in which Metropolis is located doesn't have a death penalty...well, that's between the State and it's citizens.

Superman doesn't kill or break the rules because he believes that the rules, for the most part, are there for a reason and he isn't the one that gets to make the call on which rules can be broken as he knows no one could stop him from breaking every single one of them anyway.

At the end of the day, it's not Superman, it's not even Kal El - it's some farmboy named Clark.

Contrasting, of course, with Batman. Where Clark puts on a false face and flies around as Superman, Batman puts on a false face and...goes to parties with socialites or board meetings. Batman is basically forever locked as the however old (7-9 or so) boy who just saw his parents get shot. Only he's an adult with the same superpower as Tony Stark (UNLIMITED WEALTH!) and so he just lives out his fantasies of being big and bad enough to stop Joe Chill, every single night.

He'd love nothing more than to take over, but he's just a guy.

He doesn't kill simply because he knows he wouldn't stop.

That said, yeah, it's kinda dated. They're 80 year old characters - it'd be astounding if they weren't dated. Granted, Iron Man and his companions are 50 year old characters, so it's not like they're spring chickens either, but yeah - they're dated.

At the same time, Clark's got something similar to the Worf problem. Namely, he didn't grow up among his people, he grew up with strangers and got an alien set of values instilled in him...and at the same time, he's also got a highly skewed version of what his native people are like. So he does what he can to be the absolute best Kryptonian/Klingon he can possibly be. Even if it's nothing at all like what Kryptonians/Klingons are actually like.

Alllllllllllllllllll that said, if you want to read alternate takes - The Authority is basically about the Justice League (complete with Apollo and Midnighter - no points for guessing who is an expy of who) deciding that sovereign nations just aren't pulling their heads out of their own asses and fixing problems, so they take over.

Another take is Irredeemable, which is basically a story about Superman if Superman didn't have the mental fortitude to deal with constantly hearing every single thing that's happening on the planet and it driving him insane, with the final breaking point being an accidental reveal of his secret identity.

Then there's Alan Moore's run on Supreme, which is basically an examination of Superman and the comic industry as a whole, and it's constant retconning and re-imagining of characters and so on.

And lastly there's the various Elseworlds stories involving Superman that might cover that sort of thing, such as Red Son aka What If Superman Didn't Land In Kansas, But In Soviet Ukraine?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dipstick

Postby Dipstick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:49 pm UTC

There is this low wall about 6' tall between me and my neighbor's yard. Every time I walk outside he stands up and since he's not wearing a shirt, the rest of him might be naked as well. I'm not big on starting conversations with naked people. But on the other hand, he might be wearing shorts.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

You are both quite tall men if you can see over 6' of wall. That's 183cm.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

tms

Postby tms » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

Assuming the yards are pretty much level, the neighbour is stands-out-in-a-rock-concert tall.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Dipstick

Postby Dipstick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Well, I'm 6' tall exactly and I can see over the wall...

Damn you XKCD forums!

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 am UTC

I can't sleep.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:12 am UTC

I can sleep. Problem: it's 1pm, and I'm at work.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:16 am UTC

In either case, I recommend masturbation.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm UTC

I should have worn shoes and socks, not sandals, today. It's colder than a witches nethers in my office, and my toes are about to freeze off.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:In either case, I recommend masturbation.

I'm not sleepless nor sleepy, but I'll take the recommendation nonetheless.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Rocks, sticks, roadkill... the list goes on!

Actually that makes me want to ask - what is the best free toy you (i.e. the thread in general) ever had?

Free Toys?
How free?

I had to learn Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic.
Then I could enjoy an Almeden bottle filled with Paint Thiner and Oil.

There are variations.
Don't Vigerously shake the Almeden bottle.

That creates an emulsion.
Those take a long time to settle out.

The Lava Lamp is the same sort of thing.
Only...Whew Hew! Electric!

That's not free.
The Lava Lamps say, "Do Not Shake."

Did you shake?
Boys tended to Shake the thing.

Did it break them to Shake them?
Sort of. It could be fixed.

Free! Some guys shakes his lamp.
It's broken. He gives it to me. Free.

I fix it. Sort of an easy thing to do.
Set it out in the sun.

Yes. I know.
The directions say, "Do not set in Sun."

A nail to drive out a nail?
Free Toys.

Rocks. I like rocks.
I still play with rock.

Sticks. I like sticks.
I still play with sticks.

Road Kill?
Nope.

I do not play with Road Kill.
I have been known to Photograph it.

Is taking it home;
Playing with it?

I hit an Owl with a car.
I stopped, went back with a paper bag torn open and picked it up.
I took it home.

I froze it, until I calmed down a bit.
Then I skinned it. I used a Razor Blade.

It was beautiful.
Each feather was like a separate individual work of art.

It seems, I played with Road Kill, too.
What did you do with Road Kill?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

One time an office near my old house threw a rolling chair in their dumpster. The wheels still worked pretty well, so my friends and I tied it to my car and drove around (... slowly) with someone riding it.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:One time an office near my old house threw a rolling chair in their dumpster. The wheels still worked pretty well, so my friends and I tied it to my car and drove around (... slowly) with someone riding it.

That is so funny.
A free toy that has potential for being a Very Expensive Toy.

I am so glad you people did not get hurt doing that.
Once we involve a car, it is not really free; Is it?

George and his friends lived about two hours from The Beach.
They got the bright idea they wanted to Surf.
They used a car.

It was all going along swimmingly, while George was at the wheel.
George wanted to take a turn.

The idiot at the wheel gunned it and then slammed on the brakes.
George was in the hospital for a while. Lost his front teeth.

That was an expensive free toy.
It is good to be able to trust your companions.

George was such a careful person.
Some of his friends were Jerks.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

People need to learn to pay attention when they operate machinery, or when they're around machinery that's operating. I got to work this morning, and I was talking to my mother and my brother in the parking lot (we work in the same building, but for different agencies). All of a sudden, someone in the parking garage across the street starts screaming and screaming. A few minutes later, the ambulance and fire truck showed up. Apparently, some lady got run over in the parking garage.

I know accidents happen, but really ... A car is big and dangerous even at slowish speeds. One person or the other (if not both) should really have been paying enough attention so that an ambulance wouldn't be necessary. I'm assuming the screaming wasn't exaggerated, so how can an accident that bad happen in an environment where everyone should be on medium to high alert?
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

Bad luck does happen, but yeah, inattention happens more.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:People need to learn to pay attention when they operate machinery, or when they're around machinery that's operating. I got to work this morning, and I was talking to my mother and my brother in the parking lot (we work in the same building, but for different agencies). All of a sudden, someone in the parking garage across the street starts screaming and screaming. A few minutes later, the ambulance and fire truck showed up. Apparently, some lady got run over in the parking garage.

I know accidents happen, but really ... A car is big and dangerous even at slowish speeds. One person or the other (if not both) should really have been paying enough attention so that an ambulance wouldn't be necessary. I'm assuming the screaming wasn't exaggerated, so how can an accident that bad happen in an environment where everyone should be on medium to high alert?

So, there are a number of things that play into this . . .

One is losing attention and focus on a task that is familiar. I saw a guy last week who shot himself in the hand with his own gun . . . same problem. And there's no obvious perfect fix for that. You do lose attention on familiar tasks, and that's not purely a bad thing. If you drive, you probably remember what it was like when you first learned to drive, and everything you did absorbed your full attention. It's exhausting, and it's not safe.

Probably the closest thing to a "fix" for that is to practice safe behavior absolutely, even when your instincts are telling you there's no threat. Maintain a safe follow distance, signal your lane changes, 5mph or less in the parking structure . . . whatever it is.

Obviously don't multitask when you're doing something dangerous. Don't text. Fiddle with your music when you're stopped. All that stuff. I was arguing abortion with a good friend many years ago, and she turned the wrong way up a one way street and hit the gas. Maybe the driver of the car was on a cell phone with the spouse, talking about the relationship. Who knows? But distractions can kill.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:09 am UTC

Yablo wrote:People need to learn to pay attention when they operate machinery, or when they're around machinery that's operating. I got to work this morning, and I was talking to my mother and my brother in the parking lot (we work in the same building, but for different agencies). All of a sudden, someone in the parking garage across the street starts screaming and screaming. A few minutes later, the ambulance and fire truck showed up. Apparently, some lady got run over in the parking garage.

It screams of bent rules.
Does it not?

How many times have I wandered away in a parking garage with no concern for Pedestrian Walkways? Loads.
Once I am out of the car, the environment is So Alien. Bending the rules of Walking in Walkways? What Rules?

A very few have well marked walkways.
Walking around those Stations in Car Parks is Dangerous!

I did it and decided to Never do it, again.
That is a dangerous environment.

It is somewhat surprising how few injuries occur in car parks.
For country people, car parks are like roller coasters for city people.

A person goes in.
A person goes up.

A person goes down.
A person is back at the beginning.

Or; Some other Car Park.
A great deal of uncertainty in that Journey.

They have Numbers.
Write down the Number!
Always write down the Number!

The screaming was not from a Lost Soul; Was it?
You would have been able to tell.

Lost Souls scream,
"Where is My Car??"
"Where the Hell am I!?"
"Where is My Car??"

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Sometimes I look at old titles and speculation in the News and & Articles forum (like "Syrian Civil War threatens to spread") and I think "god, how young and naïve we were back then".

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:27 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Sometimes I look at old titles and speculation in the News and & Articles forum (like "Syrian Civil War threatens to spread") and I think "god, how young and naïve we were back then".

I was looking for the button to "favorite" this and briefly baffled I couldn't find it. I have been spending too much time on Twitter.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

The most common accidents at work are falling over (tripping /slipping), electrical incidents and accidents that occur during manual handling (pulling your back, having a box fall on someone, etc.)
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:The most common accidents at work are falling over (tripping /slipping), electrical incidents and accidents that occur during manual handling (pulling your back, having a box fall on someone, etc.)

Yeah.
ok.

Those are the most common accidents, Every-fucking-Where!

Electrical?
A person would Think that being out of doors,
miles from the nearest man made device, would leave a person free from Electrical Accidents.

A person would Think that.
A person would be Wrong.

Even when wearing our armor, we trip, have shit fall on us and slip.
An automobile is darned good armor. It's, still, a dangerous world.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

The most common accidents at work in the developed world are falling over (tripping /slipping), electrical incidents and accidents that occur during manual handling (pulling your back, having a box fall on someone, etc.)
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:13 pm UTC

You can say that again.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:The most common accidents at work in the developed world are falling over (tripping /slipping), electrical incidents and accidents that occur during manual handling (pulling your back, having a box fall on someone, etc.)
I'd imagine the first and third would also be true in the undeveloped world. "Something falls on you" and "you falling on something" are pretty universal categories of hazards, at least as long as you have substantial gravity to deal with.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:06 am UTC

I went and saw Djehutynakht today.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 am UTC

In a museum in Boston?

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I went and saw Djehutynakht today.

You made me Google.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Djehuty ... 37&bih=586

edit:
What do you think his Mother called him?
What does your Mother call you?

Is it your Given Name?
When was it Given to you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

Someone should make a disaster movie where no famous landmarks are destroyed.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

I actually want to see a US-made Alien Invasion movie where the Aliens head for Southeast Asia first as... that's where most of the population of the world lives.

The plot of the movie being essentially the USAmericans getting irate that they're mostly being ignored by the Aliens and leading a spite-rebellion.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I actually want to see a US-made Alien Invasion movie where the Aliens head for Southeast Asia first as... that's where most of the population of the world lives.

The plot of the movie being essentially the USAmericans getting irate that they're mostly being ignored by the Aliens and leading a spite-rebellion.

Can't imagine this is a spoiler to too many of you, but erring on the side of caution:

Spoiler:
This is one of the things I liked about the Last of the Time Lords arc in new Doctor Who; when the Toclafane come back, they only talk to Saxon, which pisses off PotUS quite nicely. As expected, he acts like a petulant child, taking over in the name of UNIT, and gets zapped because hey, it's the Master. He does that.

I could definitely see a special episode of "Hannity" after the aliens land in Beijing and take over China - "Today, invaders descended upon China and immediately enslaved all 1.36 billion people in under 12 hours. Reports coming in suggest the invaders are now moving to annex India and Indochina. But, nation, as you know, the U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the earth, so I ask you: why aren't they enslaving us? Liberalism, that's why. Socialism. Communism. These communist aliens are clearly shoring up their atheistic base in Asia, and then you'll see them march on Washington to take away our guns and our God-fearing way of life."

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

Maybe a movie where the aliens land in swindon and get stabbed by chavs that think the grays are mocking their fetal alcohol syndrome?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:I actually want to see a US-made Alien Invasion movie where the Aliens head for Southeast Asia first as... that's where most of the population of the world lives.

Can't imagine this is a spoiler to too many of you, but erring on the side of caution:

Spoiler:
This is one of the things I liked about the Last of the Time Lords arc in new Doctor Who; when the Toclafane come back, they only talk to Saxon, which pisses off PotUS quite nicely. As expected, he acts like a petulant child, taking over in the name of UNIT, and gets zapped because hey, it's the Master. He does that.

I could definitely see a special episode of "Hannity" after the aliens land in Beijing and take over China - "Today, invaders descended upon China and immediately enslaved all 1.36 billion people in under 12 hours. Reports coming in suggest the invaders are now moving to annex India and Indochina. But, nation, as you know, the U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the earth, so I ask you: why aren't they enslaving us? Liberalism, that's why. Socialism. Communism. These communist aliens are clearly shoring up their atheistic base in Asia, and then you'll see them march on Washington to take away our guns and our God-fearing way of life."

I know its Poe.
Still....It is eerie how well you mimic that style.
Have you been exposed to a lot of it?

Some of the Things I have heard people say, In The Flesh!
A performer delivering an Act, we can all understand.

When that Act is incorporated into The World View of millions of other people...
Millions? Could there Really? Really?

Could there, really, be millions of people that view Fox as The Gospel unfolding?
I suppose it is possible.

There are millions of people that understand the world through the filter of Star Wars.
Just because it is a Popular Idea does not make it Truth.

We know that.
Do they know that?

What does Democracy mean, again?
The most Popular person or idea, **Wins The Day** yey! (?)

Like Kermit?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

I'd prefer for them to do targeted attacks on our oil supplies (and other major, easily-targetted resources), leave, and then return when the global economy has largely fallen apart so humanity is a lot easier to deal with. Who wants to attack where the enemy is strongest when they can just cripple them with minimal casualties.

Alternatively, have them sitting in high orbit just dropping nukes on major cities, fully aware our ASAT capabilities aren't very well developed, demanding the immediate unconditional surrender before each drop. Whenever a country surrenders, aliens land and treat the place benevolently, using their advanced technology to improve the quality of life as a means of encouraging other nations to surrender. Or just forgo the nuking, invade a country that's falling apart and rule that benevolently as 'advisors' to human collaborators, and offer to share the advanced tech with whatever nations agree to join the union, and those that don't agree find their countries collapsing as they lose trading partners to the union.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

If we're having them do sensible things, nukes damage too much - especially as there's so much ammunition between Mars and Jupiter.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If we're having them do sensible things, nukes damage too much - especially as there's so much ammunition between Mars and Jupiter.

It's a pain in the arse to provide a huge amount of delta-v to asteroids to alter their orbit and then having to wait weeks to months (if you feel like minimising the delta-v expenditure) for orbital dynamics to finally make them collide with the Earth, and so difficult to predict the aerodynamics of these irregularly-shaped objects as they come down to make them hit where you like. Especially since you need fairly large ones to make it through the atmosphere. You could drop a nuke of a desired yield (e.g. few kilotons) for a fraction of the delta-v cost, and with an aerodynamic design and a few control surfaces it will go exactly where you want, and even explode at whatever altitude you want it to (e.g. optimal for wiping out a city, optimal for burning cropland, optimal for EMP to take out satellites).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Or just forgo the nuking, invade a country that's falling apart and rule that benevolently as 'advisors' to human collaborators, and offer to share the advanced tech with whatever nations agree to join the union, and those that don't agree find their countries collapsing as they lose trading partners to the union.

Have they done this sort of story before? I'd assume someone has to have done so, but I haven't been much into science fiction in a while, so it would be interesting to see either that or a story about a destitute but resource-rich country (think DRC - it's always amazed me how they've got such fantastic natural resources but can't seem to make use of them efficiently because of political instability - thanks colonialism!) turned into an economic/industrial/technological powerhouse almost overnight by alien intervention and then watch as the previous international powers either align with them to take advantage of the resources and newfound technological prowess, or align to make war against it in some sort of backwards imperialistic ... hubris? And how do the alien "invaders" (who are completely benevolent advisors to this country, take to the threat of war because they bothered to help out some destitute humans? Do they GTFO because "fuck these primitive bastards," or do they decide that they've invested too much for simple militarism to ruin their new friends' country?

Sounds like something that has to have been done before (i.e. one or more Star Trek franchise episodes/movies), but my imagination is failing me at the moment.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 pm UTC

Brace wrote:What about parasitic mind control slugs leaving humans alone and taking over a species that would be less averse to codependence, like dogs? Then co-existing with humans.

Theres a great idea from Adam Roberts that's somewhat similar (just an idea - it's from a fictional review of a fictional biography of a fictional sci-fi author). His idea is of an occupation of the troposphere by sky-dwelling aliens, who ignore everything that happens below 1100 metres as irrelevant. The major point of the idea from a literary point of view is to explore how humans would deal psychologically with no longer being the dominant species, but one which is regarded as too insignificant to bother destroying or even interacting with. It's somewhat similar to John Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes (a fact Adam Roberts acknowledges), but there the aliens colonize the sea rather than the sky.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:17 am UTC

Brace wrote:What about parasitic mind control slugs leaving humans alone and taking over a species that would be less averse to codependence, like dogs? Then co-existing with humans.

That's not fiction.
That's been done.

You pick up his poops, too.
Don't you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “General”