Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jobriath

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby jobriath » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Hmm. I read 10 pages before figuring out why people in this thread sometimes started a post with "Screech:". I kept wondering, "who's this Screech guy, and why do people keep saying random stuff to him?"

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

Have you given up?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

If people are understanding it, doesn't that mean it's time for a change?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

roband wrote:If people are understanding it, doesn't that mean it's time for a change?

I think it means we need to replace this thread with a similar thread, only move everything slightly more to the left.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:
roband wrote:If people are understanding it, doesn't that mean it's time for a change?

I think it means we need to replace this thread with a similar thread, only move everything slightly more to the left.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tilt

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

Sounds like a job for mod madness.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Sounds like a job for mod madness.

When does that... festivity occur, remind me?

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

SOON
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:if we're honest with ourselves, reddit is just the party down the street, in the area with larger houses.

Man, after reading through a ton.. and I mean a ton of reddit...

4Chan is your friend who says sexist, racist, homophobic shit all the time but you aren't sure how much is serious and how much is just bullshit for the sake of shock value, as more than half of the shit said doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Reddit is your friend who doesn't seem to be racist or homophobic or anything at all... until their car gets broken into and you get a sudden earful of an extremely racist tirade about Mexicans or Blacks or something, only in not as polite terms, making you wonder just what the fuck kind of racist scumfuck you're hanging with in the first place.

Yeah 4Chan's a piece of shit, but at least it knows it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Why the crap does IE auto sort my favorites? I put them in the order I want, freaking leave it like that!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Why the crap do you use IE?

I feel bad for asking actually, I haven't used IE for at least 3 years (apart from testing one specific page), so I have no idea what the benefits of it might be.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

The same reason anyone uses IE, Pinky. Because it's on a crappy work computer.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

I live in San Jose, CA, and there is someone in my English class with a Confederate flag on his backpack.

What's possibly weirder is that he's not even white.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

Here's a random thought to reflect on: the best thing that could happen (usability-wise) to computers would be hardware advancement stopping.

Think about it. Who's going to care about fixing this program when the new 10% slower version is coming out this next month? Why bother make a new standard memory-efficient when we'll just have 100GB of RAM in 10 years? Why improve the design of a keyboard when we can use a touchscreen instead? Etc etc.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

How do you explain to a twenty-four year old how to boil a pot of water without sounding condescending?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:How do you explain to a twenty-four year old how to boil a pot of water without sounding condescending?

I'm pretty sure that's not something you do. Besides, if they can't boil a pot of water, I think they probably deserve some condescention.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

[quote]I live in San Jose, CA, and there is someone in my English class with a Confederate flag on his backpack.

What's possibly weirder is that he's not even white.[quote]

Clayton Bigsby!

Deleted

NSFW language

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

userxp wrote:Here's a random thought to reflect on: the best thing that could happen (usability-wise) to computers would be hardware advancement stopping.

Think about it. Who's going to care about fixing this program when the new 10% slower version is coming out this next month? Why bother make a new standard memory-efficient when we'll just have 100GB of RAM in 10 years? Why improve the design of a keyboard when we can use a touchscreen instead? Etc etc.

Completely agree. Software developers can afford to be lazy because hardware ability keeps on expanding. Imagine how much better our computers could run, and how much more stuff we could do, if we worked as hard on optimizing our code as we did on improving our hardware.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:How do you explain to a twenty-four year old how to boil a pot of water without sounding condescending?

Speak concisely and seriously. Try to sound like an instruction guide or a recipe. Limits the chance for a condescending remark or tone. Consider asking what is problematic for them too (note: potential backfire).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:
userxp wrote:Here's a random thought to reflect on: the best thing that could happen (usability-wise) to computers would be hardware advancement stopping.

Completely agree. Software developers can afford to be lazy because hardware ability keeps on expanding. Imagine how much better our computers could run, and how much more stuff we could do, if we worked as hard on optimizing our code as we did on improving our hardware.
Yeah, look at the quality of graphics/performance on release games of consoles and compare them to the newest titles. For the most part the architecture of the consoles don't change (or change very little) and programmers learn to squeeze every bit of performance out of it they can.

Would certainly be interesting to start seeing the same thing with computers.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

There is no hope.

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Frenetic Pony

Postby Frenetic Pony » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

It really does feel insulting to have music you like be generically enjoyable enough to be popular. They're playing Fleet Foxes at Starbucks *sob*

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Why exactly is it insulting for other people to enjoy the music you like?

Does the general population liking the music you like take away from the enjoyment?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

If it makes you feel any better, Fleet Foxes sucks. :D

"Listen carefully, ya sack of bricks.First, put the water in the pot, stupidhead. Then put the pot on the stove, moron. After that you turn the stove on, idiot. Then you just wait. Dang you're dumb."

How'd I do?!
-Adam

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm UTC

Panonadin wrote:Why exactly is it insulting for other people to enjoy the music you like?

Does the general population liking the music you like take away from the enjoyment?

Erm, yeah. There's that feeling that you're not part of a little club anymore, and being part of a little club is fun.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

*Trigger warning.

Oh, what with whazisface Brown winning a Grammy, I'd like to point out that Fox News is actually useful sometimes. Sometimes. They of course, manage to fuck it up at the same time as you have some laughing idiots ruining the tone of the piece.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Wow, hipster larva.

:roll:
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Good on him for keeping a straight face throughout that - best part of the whole thing.

Also, the "spelling, syntax and grammar" bit is fantastic.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 am UTC

Me: Good morning!
Coworker: Good morning!
Me: How are you?
Coworker: I'm fine. How are you?
Me: I'm fine. How are you? (pause) Wait, shit.

:oops:
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:03 am UTC

roband wrote:Good on him for keeping a straight face throughout that - best part of the whole thing.

Also, the "spelling, syntax and grammar" bit is fantastic.

I loved the straight face too. I loved the maturity part too. Gosh, I loved the whole thing.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Frenetic Pony wrote:It really does feel insulting to have music you like be generically enjoyable enough to be popular. They're playing Fleet Foxes at Starbucks *sob*
I was actually really happy to hear Fleet Foxes on the radio. Almost as happy as I was to hear The Black Keys on local radio. But also, if it was in Starbucks, it may have been an employee's CD.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Frenetic Pony

Postby Frenetic Pony » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 am UTC

Adam H wrote:If it makes you feel any better, Fleet Foxes sucks. :D

"Listen carefully, ya sack of bricks.First, put the water in the pot, stupidhead. Then put the pot on the stove, moron. After that you turn the stove on, idiot. Then you just wait. Dang you're dumb."

How'd I do?!

Yay, now I feel better! :shock:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
torontoraptor wrote:

Yeah, look at the quality of graphics/performance on release games of consoles and compare them to the newest titles. For the most part the architecture of the consoles don't change (or change very little) and programmers learn to squeeze every bit of performance out of it they can.

Would certainly be interesting to start seeing the same thing with computers.
That's really a bad premise. It's not that PC games aren't optimized, it's that they can't have rediculous requirements because any extra work put into PC graphical features is a lot of extra work that will have no effect on at least one version of the game (or two, if it's on PS3 and 360). There are games that really push a high-end PC graphically, but the majority are built multiplatform. Not to mention, that optimizing for a console is much easier since you don't have to go through an API, let alone account for different hardware.

Also, programs wouldn't just magically speed up even if more time was spent optimizing in general. Any good developer is going to put in the time to optimize the time critical parts of the application, they don't just go "oh, well, it'll be faster on newer hardware, who cares?". It's a good adage for a novice, because they'll spend way too much time optimizing inconsequential things, but you're not really going to ever hear something like that in a real situation. The closest you'd probably get is something like "We don't have the people to dedicate to optimizing this, as it's already 'fast enough' and there are more important things to worry about".

Black Dynamite

Postby Black Dynamite » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's not something you do. Besides, if they can't boil a pot of water, I think they probably deserve some condensation.

This is how I read that.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Xeio wrote:That's really a bad premise. It's not that PC games aren't optimized, it's that they can't have rediculous requirements because any extra work put into PC graphical features is a lot of extra work that will have no effect on at least one version of the game (or two, if it's on PS3 and 360). There are games that really push a high-end PC graphically, but the majority are built multiplatform. Not to mention, that optimizing for a console is much easier since you don't have to go through an API, let alone account for different hardware.
*cough* Skyrim *cough*

Or, for that matter, the difference in Oblivion and Skyrim minimum specs for PC, even though both run on the same console hardware. Which I think is closer to the point - with a fixed hardware target for development, we'd get a hell of a lot more out of it than we are today. There's a pile of performance being left on the table that will likely never be realized, which is both a shame and a waste.

Yes, yes, they did eventually fix it, but it's about as bad as "not optimizing" gets.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

userxp

Postby userxp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Also, programs wouldn't just magically speed up even if more time was spent optimizing in general. Any good developer is going to put in the time to optimize the time critical parts of the application, they don't just go "oh, well, it'll be faster on newer hardware, who cares?". It's a good adage for a novice, because they'll spend way too much time optimizing inconsequential things, but you're not really going to ever hear something like that in a real situation. The closest you'd probably get is something like "We don't have the people to dedicate to optimizing this, as it's already 'fast enough' and there are more important things to worry about".

It's not only about programmer laziness (which exists), it's also about stability. A game is built on DirectX, hardware drivers, and millions of APIs, abstraction layers and other tiny pieces. These are always in constant change, breaking old stuff and getting quite messy.

And each abstraction layer causes a bit of overhead too. With enough time you could make Skyrim run directly on the computer (without Windows). Or, why not, Skyrim hard-coded in the processor :wink:.

It's a bit like a Zelda game: first you get through all the temples and bosses, and then, once you have unlocked all the items, you go back to the beginning and run through the whole map again getting all the things you missed first :P.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

I was tired and had a couple hours inbetween classes, so I decided to take a nap. I had a dream about being late for the lab and how terrible that would be. I woke up and was 20 minutes late for it. Fucking ran for it, and... Turns out the guy running them is having short talks with the individual groups, mine hasn't happened yet, and in the mean time the only thing we're meant to do is read two pages of mostly obvious information and then twiddle our thumbs. everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

So, I'm sick. I mean, I'm getting better, reduced to only stuffed up and a bit of a temperature. I've had today and Wednesday off work as I was pretty awful Tuesday.

I feel really bad taking time off work, but I also don't want to go and infect people (especially as I work in a pharmacy - I don't want to make sick people even sicker).

If I keep feeling like this I could go back into work tomorrow and not be terrible, but I'm not 100% yet, so am kindof tempted to take Friday off and get properly well. But I feel like I'm 'cheating' or something because I'm not bed-ridden, and I know how busy it gets when people are off at work. So I'm feeling really really guilty. But I really shouldn't.

Rawr. Feelings are stupid, guys.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Return to “General”