Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Soralin wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Like, if an electron and positron were moving towards each other, you wouldn't consider the pair a single particle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positronium :)

Oh.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Link

Postby Link » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Re. Doctor Who: it actually started in 1963, not 1980. It goes waaaay back. ;)

But yeah, start with Eccleston (Ninth Doctor/Series 1 AKA Season 27), and if you like it, you can go all the way back to the beginning - keeping in mind that most Second Doctor stories and a lot of First Doctor ones are missing. After having watched all of the new series up to the then-latest episode, I started watching the classic series at the introduction of the Fourth Doctor (Robot, Season 12, 1974). The classic series isn't referenced very often in the new series, though (and even it's nothing bigger than a few minor continuity nods) -- so you should be fine starting with Eccleston.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

I wonder why a company based in Switzerland, and who doesn't even have a US phone number, would release their product in North America before Europe.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Link wrote:Re. Doctor Who: it actually started in 1963, not 1980. It goes waaaay back. ;)

But yeah, start with Eccleston (Ninth Doctor/Series 1 AKA Season 27), and if you like it, you can go all the way back to the beginning - keeping in mind that most Second Doctor stories and a lot of First Doctor ones are missing. After having watched all of the new series up to the then-latest episode, I started watching the classic series at the introduction of the Fourth Doctor (Robot, Season 12, 1974). The classic series isn't referenced very often in the new series, though (and even it's nothing bigger than a few minor continuity nods) -- so you should be fine starting with Eccleston.

I'd suggest checking out both the new series and the old (starting with Tom Baker or Pertwee), as the two will appeal to fairly different tastes.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 am UTC

I wonder if shampoo companies actually use "black pearl extract".
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Burgerman

Postby Burgerman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 am UTC

You know who has a failed marriage?
The 3 bears from Goldilocks and the 3 bears. I mean, they sleep in separate beds. They can't decide even decide on the temperature of the porridge.
Maybe mama bear can't sleep on such a hard bed because she has a bad back? No, I think its just a ruse so they don't alert baby bear to any marital strife. He's the only reason they are still even living in the same house. Poor baby bear. In another year or two, he's just going to be a bargaining chip in the divorce hearing...

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:40 am UTC

There is nothing wrong with a couple sleeping in separate beds, or having differing opinions on what temperature of food is correct. Some people just need space to sleep, you know?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Burgerman

Postby Burgerman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:47 am UTC

I guess not. Is sleeping in separate beds only common by today's standards though or was it common back in the 1850's - 1860's when the story first included the mother, father, and baby bears (this according to wikipedia)?

EDIT:
www.shelterpop.com/2010/05/19/couples-sleeping-separate-beds wrote:"It is important to note that up until the mid-19th century it was quite common to sleep in separate beds for middle-class couples who had the space," she said. "It was in the 1950s and 1960s, as sexuality became a bit more open for married couples and therapists insisted that they should have as much togetherness as possible, that it became really popular to have the same bed. Today, more couples are feeling free to go back to other arrangements, if it meets their needs."

So yes apparently. Hmm, learn something new every day.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:48 am UTC

Burgerman wrote:You know who has a failed marriage?
The 3 bears from Goldilocks and the 3 bears. I mean, they sleep in separate beds. They can't decide even decide on the temperature of the porridge.
Maybe mama bear can't sleep on such a hard bed because she has a bad back? No, I think its just a ruse so they don't alert baby bear to any marital strife. He's the only reason they are still even living in the same house. Poor baby bear. In another year or two, he's just going to be a bargaining chip in the divorce hearing...
when my dad moved into his own room ( i was three or four) i was told it was because i always crawled in and kicked him out. he did move out once i was older and it would effect me less.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Did you steal that from Jasper Fforde?

If not, you should read The Fourth Bear by him. A crime fiction book set in a world of nursery crime - the murder of Humpty Dumpty, the evil sociopathic killer 'Gingerbreadman' who's impossible to catch. I mean, you stumbled onto a plot twist, but that book is stellar anyway.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 am UTC

I managed to get Air Display working for my ipad. Hence, an extra monitor (and touch input device). I'm amazed at the efficiency of simply recycling my old monitor and devices, saving me some $500 from buying a better iMac.

Air Display is frikin awesome. I don't know if something similar is available for other systems. It runs over WiFi, and it was actually quite smooth - I tried dragging a movie (coincidentally, a TED talk that mentioned xkcd) halfway between the monitors, and the lay was practically negligible. It does compression on the image too. It isn't fully responsive, and might flash around a bit (due to the compression) if you're using it to type or something, but it's very practical for the $10 cost.

Photo: (hope it's okay, rather big but it's 150kb.)
Spoiler:
P.S. Not trying to be artistic, I only had a terrible camera. =/
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:11 am UTC

I wonder if there are "atheism vs. religion", "console vs. PC" or "Mac vs. PC"-style flamewars amongst linguists about which langauge is the best.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:31 am UTC

Of course not. Nothing can compete with Swahili.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:04 am UTC

Bitches love Swahili.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Italian

The believe that you can make a langauge where everything sounds like food.

Makes perfect sense
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:15 am UTC

French: everything sounds either like an insult or bedroom speak!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 am UTC

I used to have a history teacher that spoke Swahili. I want to learn Norwegian because my grandfather on my father's side is Norwegian. I tried, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to do it without spending money.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Of course not. Nothing can compete with Sanskrit.

Truth.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

My doctor thinks that my body is freaking out if I eat dairy, which kindof fits my symptoms (and everything else has been ruled out) so I happily popped to the shops to buy some soy milk, but it comes in sweetened and unsweetened varieties. I was not expecting this sort of choice and my google-fu doesn't seem to be working.
Anyone know which sort I should be going for a milk alternative? It will mainly be going in tea.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the sweetened version just has a sweetener added to it because the unsweetened version is somewhat bland. I think either will work for what you want but if you want so it's up to you if you want it to be slightly sweet or not.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Unsweetened if you want to put it in things like regular milk. Sweetened if you want to drink it on its own.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Or if you're like me, just drink slightly sweeter tea than usual. :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:My doctor thinks that my body is freaking out if I eat dairy, which kindof fits my symptoms (and everything else has been ruled out) so I happily popped to the shops to buy some soy milk, but it comes in sweetened and unsweetened varieties. I was not expecting this sort of choice and my google-fu doesn't seem to be working.
Anyone know which sort I should be going for a milk alternative? It will mainly be going in tea.

Have you tried oat or rice milk? To me it tastes a lot better than soy.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

I don't have sugar in my tea, so unsweetened it is. Thanks, folks :)

Ptolom wrote:
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:My doctor thinks that my body is freaking out if I eat dairy, which kindof fits my symptoms (and everything else has been ruled out) so I happily popped to the shops to buy some soy milk, but it comes in sweetened and unsweetened varieties. I was not expecting this sort of choice and my google-fu doesn't seem to be working.

Have you tried oat or rice milk? To me it tastes a lot better than soy.
I haven't tried anything at the moment, but I'm willing to give anything a go! Thanks fo the advice.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Italian

The believe that you can make a langauge where everything sounds like food.

Makes perfect sense

Russian: It automatically makes you sound like you know what you're talking about.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

The best bit about Russian is that once you have the hang of the alphabet, just being able to read text out loud (say the sign in a movie) is enough to impress people, even if you don't know what it means.

The grammar is evil though.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The grammar is evil though.

I kind of like the grammar. It's difficult to learn, but it's interesting.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:

I thought it was interesting too, but it was just so difficult to remember while trying to carry out a verbal conversation. It was ok when I was writing stuff down.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The best bit about Russian is that once you have the hang of the alphabet, just being able to read text out loud (say the sign in a movie) is enough to impress people, even if you don't know what it means.

The grammar is evil though.

Most people can read Cyrillic, they just don't know it. You just pretend it's greek, and then it's for the most part fairly straightforward.

Of course, this is assuming that most people can read greek. ... which I guess all physicists do, and most people with some mathematical education.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Most people can read Cyrillic, they just don't know it. You just pretend it's greek, and then it's for the most part fairly straightforward.

Uh... there are tons of differences. I can read russian but Greek? Hell no.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

For me, it's kind of backwards. I can tell what some Greek letters sound like based on the fact they look like Cyrillic ones.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Ok, take the gazprom logo.

gazprom-greek.jpg

Naive English interpretation would give something like "gathreenpom", but using Greek letters, you get ga(xi)prom, where xi is pronounced zee. See how that improved things? It isn't foolproof or anything, but it helps significantly.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

My couch is very comfortable. My bed sleeps a lot better. I'm conflicted

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

I've mentioned it before, but I still really like the word Шапка.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:26 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:My couch is very comfortable. My bed sleeps a lot better. I'm conflicted

I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about how you feel while lying on these objects or are you talking about the objects themselves?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 am UTC

dredging and trawling specimens is fking awesome. To think how these species evolved boggles the mind. ya know, I think birds (avian) evolved from the water. The diversity...bat fish....flying fish.....to escape predators....the wing....ray...diversity of sea birds...I think flight was born at sea........I fking love science. Sometimes it gets a little scary....all life born from the sea, but "fight or flight" survival is an interesting anthropological/evolutionary study. Maybe someone has published this, so I'd really like to read about it. (hint) captain gracias..... MBA history, banker, turned scientist.....wonderful trip.....

Next week, we will explore the depth of the human soul, and explain how science and religion can coexist.

Even the study of man in coastal environments begs a question. Sometimes I hate my brain. Sometimes I wish it would stop thinking.....

Who's studying who?

Furthermore, breaking down the accomplishments of ones life, framing their legacy, taxing, much love..... Never stop learning.

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 am UTC

I find it odd that Yahoo mail has the option to sign in with a Gmail account... especially since Gmail actually does most/all of the stuff (for free) that yahoo wants you to pay $20 per year for...

Also: Yahoo supposedly only even lets you use POP if you're premium, but I somehow have SMTP access with Thunderbird. I read somewhere that it had something to do with yahoo thinking it was a mobile phone, but my android can't get yahoo without the app, so I doubt that's it.

Also also: Why on earth does the dollar sign go before the number? You don't say "dollars twenty," you say "twenty dollars"!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 am UTC

RoadieRich wrote:I've mentioned it before, but I still really like the word Шапка.
You, and every other teenager who's done even rudimentary Russian ;) Including me
GNU Terry Pratchett

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I thought it was interesting too, but it was just so difficult to remember while trying to carry out a verbal conversation. It was ok when I was writing stuff down.

Outside of classrooms, I've found the grammar is a lot less important in 90% of situations.

I speak Ukrainian (which has an extra case or two, but is totally regular phonetically), not Russian, and since I left training I speak more faster/fluently but my grammar is a lot worse.

Also, I've been living in Ukrainian so long I looked at Шапка and it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out why it was funny. "Shopka? Huh? It doesn't even sound dirty, unlike бубликі. Especially not as funny as будеш бубликі*? is to someone who speaks both English and Ukrainian/Russian... ohhh. Sound it out in english, like wanka. ::facepalm::"

**A бублик is a kind of snack, almost like a pretzel if pretzels were shaped like mini doughnuts. Without salt. It's pronounced booblik. Будеш бубликі means "want/will you have boobliks?

Return to “General”