Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

achilleas.k

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Product idea I would totally buy: Bluetooth remote for TV (assuming the TV is built with the support) or for a PC with a headphone jack on it so you can plug in your non-bluetooth headset.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, all the really good headphones are wired or have bluetooth which makes them more expensive + batteries etc. With the remote you get, well, the remote which is a very useful accessory (I use my PC media centre remote daily) and you can use you're quality headset while you relax on the couch.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Eastern and specific time! :lol:

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:I donated blood today! Now I am rather sleepy...looking forward to my aunt's soup tomorrow..yumzz
mmm soup. I really need to learn how to make good soup.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:I donated blood today!
You are a good person and should feel good.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Guys, we're currently on a cosmic carousel ride swirling around a nuclear fireball big enough that if we ran into it, it wouldn't notice. Woah.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:32 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
I would donate, I'm A- which is 3rd? rarest in the US I think. But...deathly scared of needles...so...uh...no. Last time I needed an immunization I was 17? 18? and I still had my mom come with me and hold my hand. >_< I'm that bad. I don't even like handling needles in the lab, but I need to, so I've sorta gotten over that out of necessity. Now, needles in my hand I trust. Needle in anyone else's hand = run away!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:43 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:

Oh thank you! I just really want to help, more so since it is the holidays and it will be needed more so(erm, sorta).

I think I will go back to the movie I was watching now..
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:"What am I to you; chopped liver?" has become far too prevalent. People should be grateful of their social periphery status.

Damn straight!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I would donate, I'm A- which is 3rd? rarest in the US I think. But...deathly scared of needles...so...uh...no. Last time I needed an immunization I was 17? 18? and I still had my mom come with me and hold my hand. >_< I'm that bad. I don't even like handling needles in the lab, but I need to, so I've sorta gotten over that out of necessity. Now, needles in my hand I trust. Needle in anyone else's hand = run away!

I needed to get my blood tested about half a year ago, and they took about what, 4 or 5 tiny tubes full? Urgh. Made me feel sick, really =)

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:29 am UTC

Ocean wrote:
Sungura wrote:I would donate, I'm A- which is 3rd? rarest in the US I think. But...deathly scared of needles...so...uh...no. Last time I needed an immunization I was 17? 18? and I still had my mom come with me and hold my hand. >_< I'm that bad. I don't even like handling needles in the lab, but I need to, so I've sorta gotten over that out of necessity. Now, needles in my hand I trust. Needle in anyone else's hand = run away!

I needed to get my blood tested about half a year ago, and they took about what, 4 or 5 tiny tubes full? Urgh. Made me feel sick, really =)

They just did that to me about a week ago. I started feeling weak, got random pains everywhere, started shivering, and couldn't see for five minutes.

I seem to react badly to even a minor loss of blood >.>

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Whoa... luckily it wasn't all that bad with me. I just felt dizzy, lightheaded, like I could just fall down anytime. By the time I ate something again, about half an hour later, it slowly faded.

You have to show up completely sober to get your blood taken, too, so no eating the morning before. Guess that doesn't really help either, for the dizziness and all =)

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 am UTC

My mom's already asking me to start formulating a Christmas list so she can start getting things early.

I hate this part of the Christmas area because I make myself feel guilty at any tiny little thing that I may ask for. I'm already beating myself up and I'm only thinking of three things! Those things being earphones, an iTunes gift card, and a bible because I don't want to put learning about my faith system off any more and I don't think we have one in the house.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:55 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:My mom's already asking me to start formulating a Christmas list so she can start getting things early.

I hate this part of the Christmas area because I make myself feel guilty at any tiny little thing that I may ask for. I'm already beating myself up and I'm only thinking of three things! Those things being earphones, an iTunes gift card, and a bible because I don't want to put learning about my faith system off any more and I don't think we have one in the house.

Really? that's surprising. I'm not Christian and I have a couple bibles floating around my room.

Why are these floating around my room? Seriously, I can see two from where I'm sitting. :shock:

I can't think of anything to ask for for Christmas.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:
NecklaceOfShadow wrote:My mom's already asking me to start formulating a Christmas list so she can start getting things early.

Really? that's surprising. I'm not Christian and I have a couple bibles floating around my room.

Why are these floating around my room? Seriously, I can see two from where I'm sitting. :shock:

Floating bibles? Either you're going mad, your room is flooded, or God is trying to give you a sign. :lol:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:53 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Floating bibles? Either you're going mad, your room is flooded, or God is trying to give you a sign. :lol:
Or all three!
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 am UTC

I just reported a whole lot of spam.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Nith Azra

Postby Nith Azra » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 am UTC

I need to spend more time with awesome people.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I wrote "moistly"... wierd.

::.._____..::ROYAL RAINBOW!!!::.._____..::

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Ok, second class today is cancelled. Great. That means about 4 hours of waiting around until my last class.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 am UTC

Holy giant raptor the spambots are busy this morning. I should stop reporting posts and start actually doing some work.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:Ok, second class today is cancelled. Great. That means about 4 hours of waiting around until my last class.

In situations like this, I skip the last class.

I had one class, ethics, in undergrad that the professor came in from canada. Sometimes getting across the border was hard, and he'd be late, so he'd send an email canceling class a few min before class would start. Luckily this was my last class so it just meant going home early. He also often showed up and still canceled class. Especially when it was nice outside and we were studying the ethics peeps who said, "do what feels good". And he'd say, "I don't feel like teaching, it's a nice day, you guys probably don't want to be here, so, see ya!"
The combination of not being there because of border crossing delays and his canceling of classes made it so the 3-times-a-week class was more once or maybe twice a week. Heh.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:Ok, second class today is cancelled. Great. That means about 4 hours of waiting around until my last class.

The only class on Monday, for which I got up super-early* to attend: I get 5 hours of sleep and stress like crazy to get there on time only to arrive to find it's canceled.
The only class on Tuesday, for which I got up super-early* to attend: I get 5 hours of sleep and stress like crazy to get there on time only to arrive to find it's canceled.

On Tuesday, I was so tired I walked the 2 km home from uni in a sleepy haze, fell down on my bed face-forward and slept until noon.

* Super-early is to be read as "morning class".
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

I've only had a lecture cancelled once. I wasn't going to it anyway. Bit of a waste really...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:44 pm UTC

Opening a container of Domino cane sugar, with fresh green beans cooking several feet away...it smells just like bonito. :shock:

Randomish rant: *sigh* I wish Intel, nVidia, and AMD would put their support in on some common low-level GPGPU platform. Even OpenCL support is starting to get wishy-washy, it looks like. The FOSS guys are stuck on the idea of just doing 3D (not that Gallium isn't interesting, but...), with maybe GPGPU being bolted on, and not much more is likely, with nVidia keeping closed specs. My next card will be focused on playing with GPGPU functionality, but I want anything I do to be easy to retarget. They very much don't want that, it seems. LLVM atop GPGPU hardware, with the hardware itself fully abstracted, would be such a godsend (it's one of those things that kinda sorta works, right now, but not in the ubiquitous way I'd like something to).
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

silent man

Postby silent man » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

I donnated blood yesterday, too. I tend to feel rather hyper, afterwards.*

The dead cross even sent me a letter, to remind me that I'm O- and oh so special and would I please come in to donnate some more.
It's nice to feel wanted.

*'Except that one time when I went around 2pm without having lunch. Not the smartest thing I ever did...

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

Dammit, all the posts about donating blood have pissed me off. >.>
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

I'm not even allowed to donate blood. No warm fuzzy "I've just saved a stranger's life" feeling for me.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'm not even allowed to donate blood. No warm fuzzy "I've just saved a stranger's life" feeling for me.

Hence my anger.
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

I donated blood once.

I later passed out in the middle of a crowd of about a thousand people during a visit by the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.

Exciting stuff.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

CueBall wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I'm not even allowed to donate blood. No warm fuzzy "I've just saved a stranger's life" feeling for me.

Hence my anger.
*No-life-saving low five* :(

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:Ok, second class today is canceled. Great. That means about 4 hours of waiting around until my last class.

To follow on to this, I normally have three classes on a Friday, spread from 9am until about 3.30pm. Well, only my morning class (from 9am till about 10.30am) is on! Now, I could just get the train home after that class, right? Nope! My brother is getting in from Edinburgh at about 1pm for an opticians appointment, we're meeting up for lunch and then I have to wait until the evening for a lift back, rather than a train then a bus! So much for a full-time college course, eh?
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

I am old to give blood next week. (17th birthday) Whether or not I will be heavy enough is another question.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

Human=>Human blood transfusion is a fucking barbaric way to go about things. Scientists working on substitutes, work harder.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

Nowhere around me takes blood on a weekend!

Well, one does, but it's not until December 27th. My blood-alcohol level will be sky-high that day! This would be excellent for whoever receives my blood.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

Still on blood eh?
My dad used to be a number one donater in a town where he once lived. I kinda wish I had O whatever that he has. Oh well, I just have the common A posative. ^^

So it's turkey day and I wish I could bring Bailey with but she's not the most socialable..and my aunt and uncle's dog passed away not too long ago and Ally, the dog, used to love Bailey. So I don't want to bring about memories so soon.

I am very much looking forward to soup.

Edit: Hehe, my post count is 1212. I don't know why I find it funny, I just do.

Spoiler:
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

I have an interview for a position I really want in... an hour and a half.
Wish me luck. Oh god I hope I can get it. I won't...

:(
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I have an interview for a position I really want in... an hour and a half.

Luck! and *hugs* if you want them :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I have an interview for a position I really want in... an hour and a half.

Good luck!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Belated good luck!

And chalk me down as another in the "can't give blood" brigade.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

My E. coli better bloody grow right-I'm due some luck in the lab!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Yay e. coli!!

Spoiler:

Felstaff wrote:

<3

Return to “General”