How to know you're truly old.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: How to know you're truly old.

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

My wife's grumpy HTKYTO from this morning: "I was picking up my oldest child from MMA, in my grey minivan, and listening to the CBC."

Then she stared sadly out the window for about twenty minutes.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I'll know I'm old when I complain about my knees. I've been actively preventing this the past couple of years by doing heavy squats and squat stretches to improve knee health. It's fun to hear people complain about my 'young knees' when I squat down next to their desk when I'm helping them out.

But, yeah, when anything but a fully upright or prone position is uncomfortable, you know you're old.

^^^ *nods*

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:My wife's grumpy HTKYTO from this morning: "I was picking up my oldest child from MMA, in my grey minivan, and listening to the CBC."

Then she stared sadly out the window for about twenty minutes.
You just made me realize that the majority of presets in my car are for news radio stations, not music stations. Thanks.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:09 pm UTC

Commercial radio sucks anyway. I'm not even meaning the ads - I'd gladly listen to BIG BOB'S DISCOUNT AUTO MART AND CELL PHONE COMPANY ads and even the DJ talking over half the song if it meant I'd get to hear something new and interesting.

But.. nope. So I've got NPR and I've got my mp3 player and I'm set.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I think I was taught cursive in either 2nd or 3rd grade. Everything we wrote was required to be in cursive from 4th through 6th, but by Junior High everything was required to be printed and cursive was never spoken of again.

I was taught cursive in the third grade, but for some reason, they taught us again in the fifth grade and when they did, the style they taught us was completely different than what we learned in the third grade.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

All those people who don't know cursive are going to be screwed when they perfect those cursive reading touchscreens.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Commercial radio sucks anyway. I'm not even meaning the ads - I'd gladly listen to BIG BOB'S DISCOUNT AUTO MART AND CELL PHONE COMPANY ads and even the DJ talking over half the song if it meant I'd get to hear something new and interesting.

One time *cough* when I was late to work I made my entire commute without hearing any music, just ads. I don't have an aux jack, so it's either WTOP, WNEW or one of the thousands upon thousands of CD-Rs in my car now. I don't know the numbers for NPR in my area, but now I want to find out and put it in my presets. Is it weird that I'm excited about doing that?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:07 am UTC

I want a radio station that is JUST the commercials from Howard 101. Those are bloody hilariousl.

"Cougar Life: Cougars With Hooters!"
"Has your home been foreclosed? Call us!"
"Ashley Madison... because married people can sleep around, too."
"Have you lost your job because of drug use? Call us!"
"Sexy Hot Fun Times Chat Rooms... because WE know you're interesting!"
"Need legal advice for any reason? Call us! Note: we are not lawyers."

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:08 am UTC

That's a funny list.
I have never head one of those adverts.
I hope I never do.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I want a radio station that is JUST the commercials from Howard 101. Those are bloody hilariousl.

"Cougar Life: Cougars With Hooters!"
"Has your home been foreclosed? Call us!"
"Ashley Madison... because married people can sleep around, too."
"Have you lost your job because of drug use? Call us!"
"Sexy Hot Fun Times Chat Rooms... because WE know you're interesting!"
"Need legal advice for any reason? Call us! Note: we are not lawyers."

I think the best one i ever heard, not shitting you,

"Got multiple DUI's on your record that were not your fault? Call us! We can get you a License to drive and car insurance!"

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:03 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:"Got multiple DUI's on your record that were not your fault? Call us! We can get you a License to drive and car insurance!"
"We accept ABC gift cards as payment!"
--Flobots "Mayday"

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 am UTC

As an ostensible example of a "darned kid" to most of the people in this thread, I am categorically unable contribute anything directly. But I can make the rest of you feel old.

- I don't remember the Y2K panic, because I was too young when it happened.
- I've never had to use an OS older than Windows 2000
- On only one occasion (in the third grade) was I ever exposed to real-world use of a floppy disk
- The last time I used a cassette tape was at the age of 7.
- The New Horizons spacecraft was launched when I was in the first grade. It will reach its destination the same year I graduate, that is, next year.
- The acronyms "LOL" and "Oh me yarm" and many others predate my existence.

Re: the cursive discussion
I was taught cursive, though I have not had any occasion where I was forced to use it since leaving elementary school. My normal handwriting has actually come to approximate something like cursive for the purpose of speed and efficiency, though without many of the attributes of most standard forms. Essentially, I connect letters where it would be more efficient to do so, and do not connect letters that would not. I also use non-cursive capitals, most of the time. My younger siblings, however, who are 4 and 6 years younger than me, have not learned it at all, to my knowledge.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:As an ostensible example of a "darned kid" to most of the people in this thread, I am categorically unable contribute anything directly. But I can make the rest of you feel old.

- On only one occasion (in the third grade) was I ever exposed to real-world use of a floppy disk
- The New Horizons spacecraft was launched when I was in the first grade. It will reach its destination the same year I graduate, that is, next year.

I was taught cursive, though I have not had any occasion where I was forced to use it since leaving elementary school. My normal handwriting has actually come to approximate something like cursive for the purpose of speed and efficiency, though without many of the attributes of most standard forms. Essentially, I connect letters where it would be more efficient to do so, and do not connect letters that would not. I also use non-cursive capitals, most of the time. My younger siblings, however, who are 4 and 6 years younger than me, have not learned it at all, to my knowledge.

This is interesting.
This is what was becoming acceptable by the end of WWII.
It has taken seventy-five years for the practice of Requiring Strict Standards in Cursive to become stuff of Folklore.

Handwritting is an Art form used to communicate ideas.
That is what all Art does.

For a people to not attempt to communicate because their Script is unsure, unpracticed and a bit ugly is bad for people.
For some Rich AssHole to Prove how Cool he is by writing Script that can not be read is bad for me. It pisses me off.

As long as you can read it, Write! Baby, Write!

It is somewhat interesting how a persons Script develops.
Do you have samples of your Script?

You can watch a character develop and go through phases by looking at their Script.
There were, and may still be, people that say, "We can make changes to our character by writing particular Shapes."

I knew a woman that used a Capital L to relax her mind.

It was that kind of thinking that did a great deal of Good in the World.
That kind of thinking must be tempered and flexible.

Bart Simpson is never going to internalize the message.
A boy like that may say those words in his sleep, in prison.

Other people can not make the curves, correctly.
I can not make the curves correctly! It's hard!

One of the many reasons to show students the Art Form, tell them it's nice and Move On:

If not allowed to speak;
Until their accents are gone and their Cursive is Good;
They will never speak.

I was Wrong!
Again!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:12 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:As an ostensible example of a "darned kid" to most of the people in this thread, I am categorically unable contribute anything directly. But I can make the rest of you feel old.

..... Get off my lawn!
:D

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Re: the cursive discussion
I was taught cursive, though I have not had any occasion where I was forced to use it since leaving elementary school. My normal handwriting has actually come to approximate something like cursive for the purpose of speed and efficiency, though without many of the attributes of most standard forms. Essentially, I connect letters where it would be more efficient to do so, and do not connect letters that would not. I also use non-cursive capitals, most of the time.

This is more or less how I write. When I was in elementary school cursive was taught in the first grade, but I skipped that grade because I already knew everything in the program except for cursive. So my parents tried to teach me at home in the summer before I started the second grade but they had learned it differently from each other. I eventually managed to master most of it from copying what my teachers did, but I never fully got the hang of capital letters.

Should people making fun of still using windows xp make me feel old or broke?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:28 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:Should people making fun of still using windows xp make me feel old or broke?

Depends on when you bought the computer, whether you're using any software that doesn't run on later versions of Windows (or another OS)...
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:29 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:
Should people making fun of still using windows xp make me feel old or broke?

well erm, it IS a 13 year old piece of coding....

Don't feel too bad though, walked into a network running 98 just last year. All i could do was sigh a little, and on the walk out, tell the person i was consulting he needed to start over, from scratch, because what he had was about as worthless as a cup and string by now.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

I still miss the days of DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Commercial radio sucks anyway. I'm not even meaning the ads - I'd gladly listen to BIG BOB'S DISCOUNT AUTO MART AND CELL PHONE COMPANY ads and even the DJ talking over half the song if it meant I'd get to hear something new and interesting.

Aren't you in an area with unlimited access to droning religious nuts? When I road trip through the South, I listen to them on occasion for entertainment and/or background noise. Sometimes, I find the sing-songy, up-and-down rhythm of their jabber to be soothing.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

I can't wait to tell my son to hook up every new electronic device I get for the rest of my life, no matter how simple. I'm going to go overboard too, and have him teach me how to use it, asking inane questions and interrupting everything he says. I may even intentionally forget how to double click.

Although, with touch screens becoming the norm, maybe double clicking will become a thing of the past? Maybe with voice recognition, I can literally say, "work, damnit!" and it will work? How sad would that be? I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

oxoiron wrote:

Aren't you in an area with unlimited access to droning religious nuts? When I road trip through the South, I listen to them on occasion for entertainment and/or background noise. Sometimes, I find the sing-songy, up-and-down rhythm of their jabber to be soothing.
That's ... fun and all, when it's not something that seems real to you. When you're just passing through and catch it, it's an odd little quirk and something you can put out of your mind relatively easily.

When you know of people who .. that's all they listen to.. and you actually listen to the fucked up shit the preacher on the radio is saying, it's not funny anymore. It's... pretty sad, really. As most of the radio preachers around here are big in to the hellfire and damnation, it's sad that there's so many people who essentially live in pants-shitting fear of an entity that - by their own texts - is supposed to love them unconditionally, and to forgive any transgression - no matter how bad.

Also I tend to get pretty road-ragey when I'm disagreeing with the radio. Oh, sure, it starts with just a mental "I'm pretty sure that's not what that line of scripture means.." that's not too bad, but fifteen minutes later I'm screaming obscenities at the fuckface on the radio who's clearly not even opened the goddamn Good Book that a fucking atheist in a car knows six other, later places where that law was rescinded and if assface would pull his face from his ass for ten minutes and read he'd.....

... you get the idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

I'm a Christian, and I'm proud to be one, but as a Christian who lived in Kentucky for many years, I can honestly say that the majority of what I saw from other Christians there barely resembled my own beliefs. I don't want to start or fuel a religious debate, but I think it should be safe for me to say that even within a particular religion or philosophy, there are factions that are almost nothing alike. Religion or not, if you can't be bothered to know your subject matter, you have no business on the radio.

And to the thread topic: At least once a week, I'll mention something I remember fondly, and my wife will give me a blank look, waiting for me to explain. That's when I remember she wasn't quite born yet. You wouldn't think nine years would be that big a difference, but ... I'm all "Voltron! Thundercats!", and she's all "Power Rangers!"
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 am UTC

Yablo wrote:I'm a Christian, and I'm proud to be one, but as a Christian who lived in Kentucky for many years, I can honestly say that the majority of what I saw from other Christians there barely resembled my own beliefs. I don't want to start or fuel a religious debate, but I think it should be safe for me to say that even within a particular religion or philosophy, there are factions that are almost nothing alike. Religion or not, if you can't be bothered to know your subject matter, you have no business on the radio.

And to the thread topic: At least once a week, I'll mention something I remember fondly, and my wife will give me a blank look, waiting for me to explain. That's when I remember she wasn't quite born yet. You wouldn't think nine years would be that big a difference, but ... I'm all "Voltron! Thundercats!", and she's all "Power Rangers!"

I am not sorry you a Christian.
Some of our countrymen are enough to send a Good Christian into hiding.

Those people can get on a person's last nerve.
We have a right to any Goof Ball Religion we want.
We have a right to try a ton and settle on none or all.

Back on Topic:
How do I know I am Truly old?

My metrics are so outdated you would not understand them.
That's old.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 02, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

The second bar I was a regular at just shut down and is for sale.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 04, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

How do I know I am truly old?
Body or Mind? Both? (shrug)

I ran into the Fifteen Year Rule.
Stupid Story.

Why not tell the internet?
It knows everything, anyway.

Everything.
The internet knows Everything.

Stupid Story:
Spoiler:
I ran into the Fifteen Year Rule on February 14, 2014.
Valentine's Day. (fuck. Did you have fun?)

My friend had experienced a life threatening medical emergency.
She was still alive, but....well...My friend is Old. Old people pass.

As I was driving away I was thinking.
How could I not think?

How did she get Old?
If she got Old, What happened to me?
Well;... I'm Old, too. (what the fuck?)

I had some time to think as I spirited along familiar roads through some of the most beautiful landscapes on this planet.

I was trying not to think about my loss.
It's not all about me.

Yet; There I was, in My skin.
Thinking.

How Old are We?
How Old was She?

What do I know about Old?
The Fifteen Year Rule.

I laughed about the fifteen year rule for years.
It may not be funny, anymore.

The Rule:
If a man is fifteen years younger than you are;
Give him a Break! He's young. He doesn't know anything, yet.

If a man if fifteen years older than you are;
Give him a Break! He's old.

I think I was angry about losing another friend.
I don't have much for friends.

Some people seem to think I am eccentric.
I think they are lacking imagination. (shrug)

The Fifteen Year Rule kept circling round and round my head.
I know it is ok for Time and Tide to take my friends. Still....

Fifteen years older than I am? yep.
Give her a break? uumm.

Fifteen years younger than I am? ....
FUCK! That is Not a Young Man!

Then I was angry. Why?
Because; I am in a position to give a man that if fifteen years younger than I am a Break.
Not because he is Too Young to Know Any Better! But; Because; He it Too Old to Learn Anything!

That's Old!
If he does not know anything at that advanced age?
If he has never known anything at that advanced age?

ech. No one needs me to give them a break one way or the other.
I am a nobody old person from the Poorest of the Poor, US.

No one cares what I think or do.
Still....I got Old on St. Valentines Day.

I was already old.
I, just, understand How Fucking Old I Am!

How old am I?
Fifteen years older than I am is Dead.
Fifteen years younger than I am is Old.

That Children is Old!
And; I am a little pissed off about it.

What am I doing alive??
The Good Die Young!

My friends usually die young.
No matter how old they are.

She was young but not immature.
The way we were when we were young.

In some ways we never changed.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon May 05, 2014 7:47 am UTC

The Story is not stupid.
It's touching, and a little sad.
But it is sobering for us older people to remember that we're almost certainly well past the halfway point in our lifespan
(unless some magical life-extending drug gets discovered in the next decade or so).
:hugs:

addams

Postby addams » Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:The Story is not stupid.
It's touching, and a little sad.
But it is sobering for us older people to remember that we're almost certainly well past the halfway point in our lifespan
(unless some magical life-extending drug gets discovered in the next decade or so).
:hugs:

Thank you, PM 2Ring;

It is nice that you understood it.
It is good to be understood.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed May 07, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Spoiler:
I ran into the Fifteen Year Rule on February 14, 2014.
Valentine's Day. (fuck. Did you have fun?)

I suppose you could say I had fun that day. I got married that morning in Las Vegas.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

Getting up early, reading about this

>wonder why people are laughing, DOS is pretty alright.

>rest of brain wakes up, realizes how long ago DOS was in use.

>Realizes i used and liked DOS.

>feel like old, old computer tech.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon May 19, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

DOS was better than the first version of Windows. User-unfriendly-as-hell but that's why you have friends nerdier than you.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

speising

Postby speising » Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:Getting up early, reading about this

ah, i'll write my novel, if i should ever write one, in vizawrite on my c64.
hack that!

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Tue May 20, 2014 2:37 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:Getting up early, reading about this

My favorite editor of all time was a program called "ted" (ted.com) for DOS. It was written by PC Magazine (who apparently made a controversial desicion to not include source code in their magazine. It was a magazine for users, and by the time I was using ted, it was shocking that such a place *ever* wrote software).

Ted was rather spartan. It had no more than 10 features (I think someone later hacked search into one, I'm not sure I used that one) as the only "features" could be accessed by function keys (and PCs and XTs only had F1-F10), so things like Mark start, and mark stop were likely separte function keys (I'm going by memory here). Also there was little need for documentation, The bottom line on the screen said what each function key did (one may have been a "help" button that put the rest of the docs on the screen. It wouldn't take the whole screen.

The whole point of this limitation (besides having nothing to forget) was speed. I was using 4.7MHz PCs in those days and ted had absolutely *no* perceptable delay *ever*. "Real" machines (RISC workstations and the like), might have emacs and vi, but no matter what, they had some sort of delay writing to the screen. Ted was stuck with a 64k buffer (don't even think of making a bigger file), and for all I know wrote to the video buffer and just moved pointers to scroll up and down. Lately I've been happy with idle (buggy, but works well with Python), but still miss ted.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:01 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote: - I don't remember the Y2K panic, because I was too young when it happened.

I think I'm young too, so, in order:
- I also don't remember Y2K
- I remember Windows 95, then we upgraded to 98. If I could remember the model, I also used an Apple OS of similar vintage.
- I used a floppy disk only a couple months ago in university energy lab, because the oscilloscopes there don't have USB. The computers are also XP, so it was amusing that end-of-support happened when I was in the lab.
- I don't actually remember using cassettes for sure, though I might have
- New Horizons launched around 7th grade
- I think LOL came into being on my watch, but what even is that second slang?

If it weren't for the cassettes, I could yell at you to get off my lawn.

On a related topic, there's two bothers I know who are a grade apart: one remembers Pinky and the Brain, but the other doesn't. Kind of makes me feel old.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 am UTC

Oh me yarm = Oh my god(, Becky, look at her butt.)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

I remember 8-track cartridges ...
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

The creepiest comic shop I've ever been to sells them.

Why? I haven't a clue. But I can go buy some if I wanted.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Creepy comic shop? Ah, they must be the Candle Cove audio book series.

Edit: Did they look like this?

candletrack.png
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 21, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

If only.

This wasn't the awesome creepy, this was the sad creepy.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

It wasn't long ago - maybe a decade - when I could go three days without sleep, and not think twice. My whole life, I could go for three months on two or three hours of sleep a night with one really good twelve hour recharge each season. Now I find myself looking at the clock and thinking, when did it get to be 9:30?! I should be in bed.

Return to “General”