Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sturgess

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Sturgess » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Hi! Im Andy, im 20 and from Derby, UK but am currently living in Liverpool :V

Thought i'd join the forums as all my usual forums are dull, and the comics are awesome! To be honest, I haven't got a clue when it comes to maths, but the maths based comics make me laugh due to the blatant confusion coming off some of the characters, reminds me of me!

Anyway, look forwards to getting to know everyone!

achromat

Postby achromat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

I am sometimes creeped out by e-people knowing my real name so I will introduce myself as Achromat. I am 21 and I live in Ohio. This is my second xkcd forum account as I cannot for the life of me remember my first one. I have lurked here for quite some time and when I first joined these boards there were about 5 subforums and that was it so I didn't log in often enough to remember the account. :/ (Oh, and I hate graphical smileys.)

A quick rundown: I support creativity. I dont do drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. I have aspirations but no motivation. I fear change. I read people. I remeber everything. I am a minimalist, pacifist, athiest, communist, anarchist, and nihilist. I don't preach about my beliefs. I like to learn about anything and everything. I am shy, modest, and private. Im a vegetarian. I am really into music although some people wouldn't call it that. I play keys/synth/midi. I play video games. Mainly WoW.
Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

PhysicsDan wrote:I'm Dan. I'm a scientist, dancer, motorcyclist, musician, cook and avid reader (of lots things, although xkcd is one of my favorites).

Yes! That makes, oh, five or six of us. Pretty soon we'll catch up to the trombonists. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Felstaff, you are the most awesome person I have ever met on these forums in the week or so that I've been here.

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

A/S/L: 15/m/NC.

I'm Gordan, and I've been reading the comic for awhile, but started lurking the forum and decided to enlist.

:D

DRDs n Nebari

Postby DRDs n Nebari » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Allo,

I'm Nadine, I love sci fi, fantasy and things that my my nerd heart go "oooh".

I started reading xkcd a year ago and the thing that struck me was the wondeful mixture of science and tenderness. Sometimes I read a comic and I just fall in love with it. Like it makes me feel like I'm falling in love. There may be a line or an idea and I'm just so delighted, so absolutely delighted that someone thought of it and put it out there for all to see in such a clever way and I'm so happy. I like that is exists. Makes me happy.

So I decided to check out the forums. I haven't done the forum thing in years and years so rust is expected, but hopefully shiny will come soon.

Loupis

Postby Loupis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 am UTC

I'm Loupis. 28/M/Portland, OR.
Been reading XKCD for months and have heard there's a great community here, so I decided to sign up and risk having all of my illusions completely shattered, like so many other things in my life.
On a completely unrelated note, I got the red ring of death on my 360 today so I'll be hanging out here for about 3-4 weeks at least. :|
I also really enjoy pancakes, if that's important to ya.

Mortabis

Postby Mortabis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:59 am UTC

I'm just a student. I like math and computer science...things that seem to be fairly prevalent on this board. I don't have much experience in either, but I hope to learn a lot about them here. I've noticed that I can learn quite a bit just from reading what more experienced people say on forums and in IRC, even without actively participating. I've lurked here for a while, but I just registered today. I've also been reading the webcomic for a few months now.

I have to say, of all of the internet communities I've seen, this is the most intelligent. So many smart people, so many people who are several orders of magnitude smarter than I am...Compare this to people who comment on youtube videos and you'd think it wouldn't be possible on the internet :lol:

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Mortabis wrote:I have to say, of all of the internet communities I've seen, this is the most intelligent. So many smart people, so many people who are several orders of magnitude smarter than I am...Compare this to people who comment on youtube videos and you'd think it wouldn't be possible on the internet :lol:

FAKE
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 am UTC

You may decide which of the following was my motive for finally joining (take note that both are facts, though which was my true motive for finally ceasing my grue-like existence of lurking is up for interpretation):

There is much knowledge and insight to be gained from such a conglomeration of sagacious people...

Or:

...All of the Douglas Adams allusions just made my heart flutter.

That being said, you may deduce that I'm on here for the literature/grammar/word threads. My nerdiness does not extend to such areas as computers and mathematics (sad, really...)

Thus, I shall commence towards what will hopefully be an intense round of Calvinball (*mutters menacingly* Ninja skills... pffft...).

EDIT: Well, huh. The last person to post in this thread just increased the potential amount of sarcasm that could be extrapolated from my brown nosing. 'Twas only meant to be facetious... nothing more...

DreemKiller

Postby DreemKiller » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:14 am UTC

I'm generally going to be a lurker, but I figure it's better to be a registered lurker.
My latest degree is in hardware design (so I know that abomination known as Verilog), but most of my background is in programming: C/C++, perl, and various other languages that I know how to work in, but not well enough to put on my CV.
I've been working as a (well paid) corporate slave for the last 10 years, and will probably continue doing so for a while. I don't have much stomach for risk, and annoying as it is, the corporate world is fairly risk free.
I've recently developed a (work related) interest in graphics, and am starting to get comfortable with OpenGL. I also have a lot of experience in cryptography, mostly on the hardware side (HDCP and AES).

Mulch

Postby Mulch » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 am UTC

I don't remember how I first came across xkcd, but I do remember going through the archives immediately after discovering it. Then forwarding lots and lots of links. I've been lurking for quite a while, and, like so many others, figured I may as well at least be a registered lurker.

I enjoy camping, reading, video games, intellectual humor, and righteous indignation.

I'm old enough to have grown up using a rotary phone, and young enough to own a deck of Pokemon.

Swirlify

Postby Swirlify » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:39 am UTC

Hi there, xkcdians!

Essentially, I'm a highschooler with way too much time and enough geekiness that even fellow IB students tend to think I'm weird. I like edible-stuffs, piano, martial arts and confusing myself with new information until I understand it (or delude myself into thinking I do; whichever comes first). After finding this comic and realizing I'm not the only one that's walks funny on tiled surfaces and likes Ender's Game, I started lurking on the awesomeness that is these forums. I finally decided that I might as well try and contribute, even if I couldn't possibly add to the sheer brilliance I've seen here.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

Izzhov wrote:Felstaff, you are the most awesome person I have ever met on these forums in the week or so that I've been here.

As a token of thanks, this will somehow be incorporated into my signature. Watch this space. (Not literally).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Medders

Postby Medders » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Hiya,

I'm a 19 y/o general geek, currently on a gap year, waiting to go to university in september to study computer science.

I know a bit about maths, physics and computers, but nowhere near enough to get by on properly on here.

Also, I've made a mobius battle on a piece of OHP transparency, which ROCKS! :D (I'll stick a photo in the discussion thread soon)

ragebb

Postby ragebb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

I also don't give my name on-line, but like Mulch, I'm old enough to remember rotary phones. I'm in Utah and enjoy Star Wars, Transformers (I love bumblebee in the movie), and Lord of the Rings, though I'm mostly into Star Wars. I've written a Star Wars story that took me 6 years to complete (I wasn't working on it constantly) and have started on a sequal, which I'm still trying to figure out the point of it. I do have 3 adorable young kids which are each the joy of my life and help keep me feeling younger than I am. I dabble in different things with computers, my spouse thinks I need to go into web design, but I don't know how to get into it professionally.

I basically have a lot of things about me that would take too long to post here and would probably bore most everyone here, so I'll just leave it at this.

Bergwerk

Postby Bergwerk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Hey folks! I'm a student studying mechanical engineering in Chicago. I like building stuff, auto racing, computing, Jurassic Park, astrophysics, and other things that coincidentally align with many xkcd themes. I've lurked here for about 18 months without registering, mostly because I was afraid of spending even more time reading painfully long discussions in SB. But, alas, I have surrendered. I might even add something meaningful.

shifuimam

Postby shifuimam » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:41 am UTC

My name is Shifuimam.

I'm 23, I'm an IT Support Manager (although as of about 3:00 EST this afternoon I have an interview on Monday for a web developer job) for a big ass manufacturing corporation. I live in Indiana, I have a cat, and I secretly own a few Apple products.

Let's see...what else? I graduated in May 2006 with a degree in Computer Information Technology. I watch a lot of Gilmore Girls, Futurama, and The Office. I'm one of those freaks who can watch the same movie repeatedly. I've seen "Clueless" and "You've Got Mail" so many times that I have the script memorized for both.

I'm a conservative Christian and a Republican, and I don't take kindly to people telling me I'm stupid, naive, brainwashed, or otherwise lied to as the reasons why I believe what I believe and think what I think. I attempt to provide the same courtesy to people who disagree with me, but those who troll/flame me (particularly on my livejournal) fall outside that safe zone. I'm also a militant grammar and spelling Nazi and I despise the concept of immediate self-indulgence and entitlement that is destroying millions of Americans through credit card debt and subprime loans and other shit that people want before they can actually afford it.

I hate Steve Jobs more than possibly anyone on this planet. I might hate Hillary Clinton more. It's a toss-up.

Oh, and I'm a girl. I have boobs and everything.
I'm a girl. I'm also a geek. I listen to Dragonforce a lot. By "a lot", I mean almost nonstop. I have a lot of shit on the internet. I also have a lot of geeky crap.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Oh, of course you save the vital information until the end. Welcome, by the way.
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

thechamelion

Postby thechamelion » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:04 am UTC

Hey everybody, my name is Adam, but you can just call me Dartanian. People often call me this because I have a tendency to swordfight others to the death off of a whim. I like Bob Dylan more than what most people consider healthy. I'm an avid running fan and can recite thousands of facts relating to famous runners, running history, and training theory. I can recite the 200 greatest songs of all time according to rolling stones magazine, Ironically equal to my benchpress max. I'm a devout Christian and feel there is alot more logic in favor of intellegent design and the case for Jesus than the vast majority of aetheists would ever give credit for, I also like to call myself a Republican but I have less interest in politics than most of the rocks I step on. I'm majoring in accounting at Florida State and have over 70 conquests on Facebook risk, but very little knowledge of computers beyond the average person. Which leaves me stumped on the humor of some of these comics. I enjoy reading poetry, everything from John Donne to Allen Ginsburg. Since you don't care, i'll go ahead and tell you my favorite poem is "the Tiger" by William Blake. I'm in the process of becoming well read (to be fair i'm only 18), but a list of books I have completely lost interest in and stopped half way through include "Tender is the night" and "Crime and Punishment". I also have extensive knowledge of modern popular music and have decided that the album Bridge Over Troubled Water is the pinnacle of the existence of mankind. I own my own hookah. None of the previously mentioned statements are in any ways false. The end.

Slab

Postby Slab » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Hey everybody, my name is Sam, i finished year 12 last year and i am going to university sometime next month. I live in Australia and will be enjoying a good year. I have been reading XKCD for about 2 years now and Delicious Cycle no. 140 is my favorite comic.

Fuzz

Postby Fuzz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

Hi my name is Fuzz. Long time reader of xkcd and the maths subforum. I'm doing a PhD in mathematics in Australia so this is really just another form of procrastination for me.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Welcome to the fora, everyone!
Look out for raptors. And holes. And raptors in holes.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Page eighty, doesn't make you feel very new...

Either way, I'm Guy. Been a xkcd browser for over a year, shown a few friends who would enjoy them. I have little to no knowledge of linux, so a few stumped me(all praise wikipedia). Sudo apt-get install Tremulous is about the most badass thing I can accomplish there.

Currently I cannot unicycle, though I ordered one an hour or so before I made the account and was feeling... unicycly. I can juggle, combined with my obscure ability to trip over myself, I've almost got a show. The other day I wrote a paper for school about how the Jurassic Park movies are the most eye-opening of all time, pure coincidence.

Suppose that's all I have for an introduction.

EDIT: Thought I'd just throw this in here.
Cake is one of the best bands ever.
Though I'm a sophomore, my current plans for college and a career revolve around the math field.
don't plow that beautiful field!

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Unicyclist wrote:Page eighty, doesn't make you feel very new...

What do you mean?

Does this refer at all to the fact that the first Intro Thread was retired after 100 pages or the fact that the Second Intro Thread was accidentally deleted (and restored) on the 64th page? ;)

Also, welcome new people! Yay!

micco

Postby micco » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Hi, I`m Mikko. I live in Finland. Been reading the comic for a while now, registered to forum last year. Addicted to movies, music, web comics and internet in general. Please excuse all the spellingerrors in my messges, english is not my native language.
Last edited by micco on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Unicyclist wrote:Page eighty, doesn't make you feel very new...

What do you mean?

Does this refer at all to the fact that the first Intro Thread was retired after 100 pages or the fact that the Second Intro Thread was accidentally deleted (and restored) on the 64th page? ;)

Mayhaps :wink:
don't plow that beautiful field!

ok?

Postby ok? » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

I am David. I'm 25 and live in California. I am running Ubuntu so I am probably not even qualified to post here, haha.

I like records mostly bad punk (crust, thrash, grind, oi, whatever) and ska (reggae, rocksteady, dub, dancehall) and Manowar.
I like some other stuff, but thats most of it.

I mostly signed up to reply to the ska thread.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Sturgess wrote:Hi! Im Andy, im 20 and from Derby, UK but am currently living in Liverpool :V
Excellent, now there are two of us here! Welcome to the fora!
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

fiyarburst

Postby fiyarburst » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Hello, Internet.
I play the bass guitar but it sounds better with distortion. I listen to what I like to think is a veriety of music, including Freezepop, Children of Bodom, Jay-Z, Metallica, Blind Guardian, Hellogoodbye, Nightwish, Barry Manilow, Nine Inch Nails and almost anything ambient or synthpop or thrash metal. I enjoy programming (Java and TI-83+ BASIC :wink: ) and differential mathematics (I just learned how to integrate functions 2 weeks ago!). I like messing with settings. On everything from Firefox to foobar2k to my stove. I'm also trying to learn electronics, and waiting for a chance to get my hands on a used Yamaha QY70 synth that i can afford.
I used to think I had political views, but that time period was before and after small-scale existentialist crises.
I can sometimes be obnoxious IRL. Which is why you know not my real name. Oh and I read XKCD.
Last edited by fiyarburst on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kasu

Postby Kasu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Yo. The name's Kasu.

A kinda-sorta-maybe-not-really long time user of the #xkcd IRC channel, Kasu hails from Illinois. His SN is absolutely nothing like his name. He knows one (1) other XKCDenizen in real life, and that would be DoubleAW. Kasu is 14. Kasu constantly finds Jes- I'll stop. Sorry.

[/intro]

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:14 am UTC

Hi
I'm the Angry Squirrel. I got other names, but I get paranoid over people knowing them.
Actually I'm horrible paranoid a lot of the time which is why this post got edited. See you around.
Last edited by AngrySquirrel on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Dorfl

Postby Dorfl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Hey everyone,

Name is Adam. Soon to receive my BS in Chemical Engineering. I live in St. Louis, but I'm originally from Indiana (exciting, I know). Lurked the forums for a few months. I have a miniature periodic table I keep in my wallet.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Hello there!
I've been reading xkcd for a while now, and I'm ashamed that I don't remember where I first saw it.
Now if anyone makes topic asking that I won't have a cool response.

I particularly like the science and English related comics, especially when they force me to look up some fact or theory just to get the joke.

EDIT: Blimey, I've just realised how plain my post looks, we can't have that. Time to go explore the settings.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Dr-Online

Postby Dr-Online » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Hi there, Dr Online here, no idea why I actually did sign up for the forum, I always do tend to drift off somewhere else after a while, but maybe that's just my public schooling based attention span showing it's hand again.

Anyways, I'm a 21 year old insomniacal(Not a word?) chain smoking underpaid IT worker who drinks inordinate amounts of caffeine and has probably at some point in time or another cursed the lot of you for owning computers, before realizing that if people didn't buy computers, I wouldn't have a job field.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyways, I'm something of a huge dork, I love Fallout 1/2, Arcanum, and other old games. I actually have about 5 old Apple II's lying around my apartment somewheres. One of them's holding up my Teevee.

Soooo yeah.

Experiment

Postby Experiment » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Hello everyone,

My name is John, and I've been reading xkcd for a while now, and doing some occasional lurking of some of the threads in here. I'm a second year computer science student at Penn State University. I like running, writing, programming, and the paranormal (most of what people claim is paranormal is fake), as well as programming competitions. I'm currently in a semester long competitive programming class which is acting as the entrance to our school's ACM team (the top 4 from this class become the team).

Also, I would be a likely candidate to get nerd sniped. I love crazy problems everywhere, from math and science to linguistics and philosophy. Those are just some examples of problems that have kept me thinking for hours, or arguing with my friends, in terms of convincing them that the Infinite Monkey Theorem was true.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 am UTC

First post, fifth post, same thing, right?

My name's Geoff, I'm 21, I've been reading xkcd for about a year now, or at least it feels like it on the internet. I'm a third-year history student hoping to specialize in Russian and Soviet history. I would've gone into science, but I can only understand it when I'm not being graded on it.

I've got a pretty large interest in video games, I'm actually interested in my major, and I've really got not much else to say.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

omni

Postby omni » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Hello there. The name is Jesse and I am the roommate of the guy above me. He got me into xkcd a few months ago and I have been reading ever since. That is all.
Jahoclave wrote: Science, it needs a bigger stick with which to bash in minds.

audoue

Postby audoue » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Hey, i'm Aude.

I'm not the typical person you find on forums, but you'll figure that out for yourselves.
I come from Quebec, Canada and if there are anyone here that understands what it means: I am not a separatist and I would much rather come from Alberta or Ontario but you can't deny your roots... (Anyways that meant I am Canadian.)
I am a student, I study cinema and I want to make movies.
I also really like to take pictures so I study that too.
next in line is a BAC in Russian Studies, just so I can go and live there one day, make money as an interpreter, then make movies.
I speak French, English, Spanish, German and I am learning Russian and Italian.
I am enrolling in the army and looking foward to go to A-stan somewere in 2009, if were still there that is.
Oh, yeah i'm 21 years old.

and that's all I can think of, but you'll just have to get to know me by my posts because i'm not good at describing myself.

mathangelist

Postby mathangelist » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:25 am UTC

Hello! My name is Sean, and I am a math major at the University of Texas......

If you want to know anything more about me, you will just have to talk to me on the boards! =)

Return to “General”