Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zak

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Zak » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Hao.

*Nods sagely*
*waggles eyebrows*

Phlake

Postby Phlake » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Hi there everyone!

I'm Will Phlake, as far as any of you know. (HINT: It's not my real name, but what's a little white lie between friends).

I'm currently a high school student in South Carolina. I enjoy computers, math, and other things which classify me as a geek. Fortunately, I'm sure that there is someone on these boards who can commisarate.

I started reading xkcd a few months ago, loved it, read through all of the archives, realized that alt-text existed, and read through all of the archives again.

I apparently have no life.

I'll probably be seeing (read: talking with) you around here a bit.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Phlake wrote:Hi there everyone!

I'm Will Phlake, as far as any of you know. (HINT: It's not my real name, but what's a little white lie between friends).

I'm currently a high school student in South Carolina. I enjoy computers, math, and puns. Fortunately, I'm sure that there is someone on these boards who can commisarate.

I started reading xkcd a few months ago, loved it, read through all of the archives, realized that alt-text existed, and read through all of the archives again.

I apparently have no life.

I'll probably be seeing (read: talking with) you around here a bit.

you forgot something. :wink:
*waggles eyebrows*

dreamcatcher_31

Postby dreamcatcher_31 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:05 am UTC

I'm a 4th-year student in cognitive science, which ought to be enough information for you to narrow down my school to a few choices. I started reading xkcd by about post 50 or so, and I have been addicted ever since. When I'm traveling and away from my bookmarks on the desktop, I will check my email and xkcd and that's it.

I'm kind of a dreamer but also driven towards real-world success, and that's the story behind my screen name.

At this point in my life I'm sort of deciding whether to go into a science-y cogsci career or a management-y cogsci career.

bridge

Postby bridge » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Hi there,
my name is Bridge i'm an italian computer science student at university of Lugano
i think i already proved my human nature by violating the rules and making another post in the image pwnage game thread before introducing myself here.
See you around
B
Excuse my Super Mario accent

Ansob.
Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Postby Ansob. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

If I absolutely must introduce myself...

Student, philosophy and politics. Wargamer, roleplayer, video gamer. Failed classhole, genuine misanthropist, possessed of a sadistic streak. Has been likened to the earthly incarnation of sardonism and/or sarcasm; all 'round caustic personality. Grammar Nazi. Sartrean existentialist, fundamental optimist, realistic anarchist, opposed to representative democracy and supportive of aristocracy (in its original meaning of "government of the best," rather than "government of the richest;" in short, a meritocracy). /b/tard, and proud of it.

I believe that does a rather adequate job of summing my character up.
Laughter is the natural human reaction to everything.

Egla

Postby Egla » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Hello
I am college student in Iceland. I study/practice math, science and music. I also like RPG, RTS games, fantasy books and other nerdy stuff.
I have been reading the xkcd comic for some time, I saw it first in a local student math magazine a year ago, loved it and got hooked. I have been lurking the boards for a while and like them, but I wont reply much because it takes a bit too much time for me to write in English properly.

See you around
Egla

Xar

Postby Xar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Hi. My name is Tom.

I'm 21 years old, and am currently a junior at Purdue University studying Electrical Engineering.

I like to read a lot, with my favorite authors/series being Douglass Adams, The Death's Gate Cycle, The Recluse Series by L. E. Modesitt Jr., and Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody:Child of Blood series. I'm one of those people that scream answers at the t.v. during Jeopardy and the like. As far as outside activities go, I swing dance. It's a lot of fun and pretty much the only reason I would leave my apartment besides class.

I found XKCD a couple weeks ago and have been lurking in the forums for the past week.

Thanks,

Tom

jon

Postby jon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Hi, I'm Jon Anderson, a grad student in CS at Western Michigan University. I've started a raptor attack simulation program, so I decided this is the place to go to discuss just what I need to do to make the raptors as scary as possible.

damaris

Postby damaris » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I'm Damaris, heading into my late twenties (wow, that's the first time I've typed that, and it's depressing!) and in Central Indiana.

My husband and I are avid readers of xkcd, and are otherwise quite boring individuals!

Feyn

Postby Feyn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:55 am UTC

I'm a thirty-odd year old systems administrator with an over-developed cynicism gland. Probably won't be posting too much, unless I see something that either interests or irritates me. :-)

ragamuffin

Postby ragamuffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Hey all, I'm a 2nd year computer science student, and I'm from Ireland(let the drunken shenanigans ensue!).

monthx

Postby monthx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

<3 thunder!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way--'allo! I'm from the irc channel and am also known over there as monthx. My actual name is April, which used to be my nick, but then I got too many people thinking they were original in making month related jokes. At the point in which I got really annoyed, I came up with this brilliant idea: nick over to 'month' and make the ultimate month joke! This plan failed when I was getting randomly highlighted too often, hence the addition of the 'x'.

Anyway, feel free to call me April. I play Magic: the Gathering.

I'm studying Literature at UCSC, with a concentration in creative writing. Just what do I plan on doing with my degree when I graduate this June, you ask? Why, your mom, of course! All while taking over the world and coming up with the best dirty talk you've ever heard in bed (I admit--the post-coital pillow talk was never my strong suit).

I know you're probably not going to believe me when I tell you this, but I have a tendency to ramble, repeat myself, and write entirely too much. I will take a page to state something someone else could say in a paragraph and a paragraph to state something someone else could say in a sentence. I am not a grammar nazi, nor am I a spelling nazi. I frequently make grammar and spelling errors or neglect to use proper punctuation and I really do not care. I am majoring in Literature, not English. Yes, there is a difference.

At least I do know what the function of the enter key is. It worked really handy with your mom last night.

PS: Demonfire you.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Yay, it's April! *cheers*

Agaeki

Postby Agaeki » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

*With a swooshing noise and a billow of smoke, Agae bounds in and strikes a heroic pose, cape billowing over shoulder. The distinct lack of fanfare, applause and swooning ruins the effect somewhat*

Howdy folks!

I'm Agaeki (Agae for short), and I registered only to post the cuddle mattress, but was a good person and read Modly declarations, and shall henceforth continue to be a good person and become friendly and integrated with the community

On other days, I'm a seventeen year old British dude studying maths and physics who stumbles through the internet all day, occasionally participating in Star Wars Roleplaying Sites (that would be a link, but I'm a good person) and hanging on IRC.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:19 am UTC

I'm Little Richie, I'm a peace loving geek whos intrests include; the ladies, music (i play the drums and guitar), food (i'm an Italian), and well being a geek. I am in the Robotics team at Palm Bay High School, I also do many projects on the side, including leaving youtoube comments, or browsing comic sites. In fact, the magority of my time for the last 5 months or so has been browsing through the comics =D. Fat Tony, as some of you may know, is mt brother like friend, who in fact turned me on to the comics, we are on a mission to save humanity through music.
If i were half as creative as any comic artist, i would put a random but relevant tid bit of information right heer. :D

Its all in the mind......
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:09 am UTC

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

Oh, uh, hi! :D

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Mmmm cheese...wait, what?

Also: April! Yay! Hi!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Heya, my name's Andy. 19 years old, unemployed, haven't had a shower in a couple of days and smell.

About myself? Well... I spend most of my time sitting around at the computer, lazy ass as I am, not really doing anything productive at all. I'm enrolled for a 3 year Certificate IV course in Film and Television/Screen Production, and start classes on Monday.
Lessee.. I play guitar, but have also been lazy with that and not been playing much at all recently. I'm "in" a "band" - that is to say we practice for a few weeks, then don't see each other for a few months, then occasionally come together to practice for a couple of weeks before going on another "break".
I also intend to start making webcomics, but I tend to procrastinate too much, and my tablet is sitting there in front of me relatively unused.

As for how I got here, well some of you may know toeofdoom. He's constantly linking me comics from here and various threads in these forums, and he finally convinced me to join up. I think I was going to a while back.. but forgot? Didn't get around to it? Dunno. :P
(Also, toeofdoom is the bassist/pianist in my "band")

Anyways, if all goes well I'll find myself browsing these forums and getting into it all, posting about, becoming a regular. :)

(Ouch, just realized how negative my post was. Unintended! :P)

A for Anonymous

Postby A for Anonymous » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Hello.

I am your average Anonymous.

curtis mayhem

Postby curtis mayhem » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Hey guys. Read the comic and the forums for a while and finally decided to join so I could reply to threads instead of lurking. I'm 21 and taking EE courses in Canada.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

A for Anonymous wrote:Hello.

Wow, you really nailed the point of an Intro Post. :roll:

Well, I guess I did get one bit of useful information. Can you guess what that is?

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Hi,
I've been reading xkcd for about a year now. I don't have the hard sciences background that a lot of you seem to, but the overall tone of the comics and forums gives me the warm fuzzies, and little things keep reminding me of the best qualities of some of my favorite people.

I'm a recent college grad, figuring out how to make ends meet. Doing that whole quarter-life-crisis thing. Small towns are boring. I work, sleep, read books, drink whiskey, and watch movies. I've found love but everything else about my life is in a sort of post-grad angsty limbo. It's not unpleasant, I just hope I'm not giving myself a tumor worrying about it all.
Fish cannot carry guns.

PhysicsDan

Postby PhysicsDan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I'm Dan. I'm a scientist, dancer, motorcyclist, musician, cook and avid reader (of lots things, although xkcd is one of my favorites).

ellummoxo

Postby ellummoxo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Greetings to assembled persons. My name is Eric Nelson, I am a 28 year old guy living in Richmond Virginia. My drone job is a logistics admin for UPS-SCS. My real interests lie in music, culture, creative commons and spiritual evolution. I spend most of my time being creative like, taking pictures, being opinionated and writing music. I geek out of necessity, learning about technology as the need arises. XKCD has resonated with me in a very fundamental way as I am a very rational dreamer. A lot of artists have trouble with rational people and a lot of hard empiricists don't appreciate my constant meandering thoughts. I think I'm home now. We'll see. I live in the blogosphere as well and if the feeling arises, I shall share forth. Hooray community!

curtis mayhem

Postby curtis mayhem » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:12 am UTC

ellummoxo wrote:My drone job is a logistics admin for UPS-SCS.

Man I've seen hundreds of trailers from you. I just quit a job at UPS her in Toronto.

dwightbrown

Postby dwightbrown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 am UTC

I'm Dwight. I'm not a spammer. I don't believe in intros or intro threads. I don't like talking about myself.

MentalFloss

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Hello. I've been a long time reader of XKCD and have pretty much laughed at or pondered deeply every comic that has ever been pushed to the site. I recently found this forum and saw that a great variety of topics whet my palette so I figured I'd join up and see what happens.

At any rate, hello. My name is Brandon for those that actually look past an online moniker. I'm also 26 years old for those that subscribe to the Gregorian Calendar.

Before joining, I reviewed several threads to see if this was a space I wanted to continue to visit. I must say, you are a smart group of people and clearly I would be quickly shot down should I attempt to challenge anyone on their nerd-cred. This isn't an insult of course, more of a compliment. I'm glad to find a forum where my thoughts and ideas are challenged rigorously should I choose to voice them. That's not to say that I blindly acknowledge the first person smarter than me as correct, but who doesn't enjoy brain food every now and then?

At any rate, glad to be here and I sure hope that stimulating conversion continues to flow through these forum channels.

Thanks for having me.

The_En6ineer

Postby The_En6ineer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I'm an engineering student and I'm 21. I was a XKCD reader for a long time and I decided after reading some forum posts that I wanted to become part of this community. I love building anything, no seriously, I would build something for 20 dollars that I could buy for 10 if I didn't know how it worked completely. I also love to learn for the sake of learning and I try to be capable of reproducing anything I've seen. I picked up Yavapai basket weaving by uncomfortably watching an elderly Yavapai woman for about 2 hours before she turned to me and told me (through a translator) that I had to either stop or make a basket too... so I did ^_^ .
I just remembered, after finishing homework for the evening, that I forgot to post on this thread so I decided that even though it's late, I should at least do it before I forgot again.
I look forward to many conversations with you all.

-Jason
"The power of accurate observation is often called 'cynicism' by those who don't possess it."
-G.B. Shaw

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:59 am UTC

VTHodge wrote:
A for Anonymous wrote:Hello.

Wow, you really nailed the point of an Intro Post. :roll:

Well, I guess I did get one bit of useful information. Can you guess what that is?

I think its the "your", which is posessive. Given that you quoted first, he/she/it now belongs to you. Have fun with your new average Anonymous!

Oh, and hi Andrew. Good to see you finally here :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 am UTC

1st-year Math/Phys student from the Netherlands.

Signed up 'cause I had to point something about a math puzzle. Honest.

YARR!

mdec

Postby mdec » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 am UTC

Hey, I'm Matt, a second year computer systems engineering student in Aus. So I'm guessing my spelling may vary a little from yours, but culture is good right? :P

drbhoneydew

Postby drbhoneydew » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Pavement crack avoider / Moving car shadow jumper until I hit 30.
Obsessive behaviour cold turkey is not fun ;)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 am UTC

^^ Unfortunately, engineers of any sort, aussies and Matts are not in short supply around here, so that isnt really unique enough.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Hello everyone :), I'm an undergraduate bioengineering student, (with an interest in microbiology in particular), and a transhumanist (been reading that thread, yay for like-minded people, hopefully I'll be able to do something to help). I've browsed the forums a bit, and it's a pretty damn awesome place all around :mrgreen:, with a very nice environment complete with highly educated people all around, and good discussions. Oh, I also love classical music, and am a musician too.

glennh

Postby glennh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Hi folks,

This is me posting to the intro as instructed cos I'm good that way see :-)

So me = Bloke, Old (compared to you young folks), young (compared to you old folks), married, Parent (3 young boys), A software test automation kind of worky type guy, snowboards, nerds it up on computers till all hours, lives in Ecosse, blah blah.

I've been following this here comic for about a year using the rss feed and just discovered there's these forums things too so I decided I've not enough to do with my time and should hang out here a bit.

There ya go... Obligations fulfilled, now I can write some blah blah all over the place...

PS. It might be apparent that I've partaken of a few drams this evening - hence spealing all this claptrap.

Bye then

GlennH

Drake

Postby Drake » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Hi All

Been an amateur programmer for six years.
currently a grad student in Biology...Who has been thrown into a real programming class and is looking at many, many stat courses.

Just got handed a program from a disillusioned student who dropped out of the program early. While he is off to greener pastures, I'll be making some posts under "Worst Code Ever" thread.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Good day,

My name is Tim. I am a 23 year old copywriter. I'd be an excellent mathematician, but I am not very good with numbers. I am actually better with words. I have a good strong pair of legs, and a straight set of teeth. I once met Sasha Baron Cohen and told him he should make a TV show of his character Borat. He ended up making a film instead. I don't think I had too much influence in its creation. All my top 8 MySpace friends are myself. It involved me creating eight identical MySpace addresses. I haven't visited that site in seven months. I watch films, but rarely Hollywood. My answering machine pretends to be actually answering your call: "Hello? ...Oh hi! I'll just go get him for you." I have a fetish for yawning. This has not helped my sex-life. My favourite colour is white. I spell colour with a 'u'. I often think I would be able to a better job than most politicians. Sometimes I feel angry towards fellow commuters on public transport. I play the guitar, the ocarina and the didgeridoo. I am better on real guitar than Guitar Hero. I find Guitar Hero more fun.

I steal the life and soul from the party.

Sharpening a pencil with a knife makes me feel manly. Poking a fire with a stick makes me feel manly. I always walk slowly in a library. I once accidentally maimed a goose when I played golf for the first time. I think I broke its leg with the golf ball, but I kept quiet about it, as it limped around, not making too much fuss. As a result of my guilt I have donated to animal charities. I never tell people what charities I give to or how much. I am writing a novel. I have never written 80,000 words on a single subject before, and I'm only just reaching Act III. If I could freeze time I would do so to give the impression I had a quick wit. I have a variety of hidden talents that I have not attempted to debunk yet. I often have something of relevance to say, but I mostly keep quiet. Alcohol improves my concentration, and then entropies it after an indeterminate number of units. Had an OCD when younger where I would not only avoid the cracks, but would also ensure the right foot stepped on the same colour/material as the left, which is my lead foot. An interesting fact about me is I have never had two girlfriends of the same ethnicity/nationality. I write articles for charitable magazines aimed at a black female demographic, when I am a white male. I do not look like my avatar; that is Falstaff from The Merry Wives of Windsor. I one day want to look like that.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

glennh wrote:So me = Bloke, Old (compared to you young folks), young (compared to you old folks), married, Parent (3 young boys), A software test automation kind of worky type guy, snowboards, nerds it up on computers till all hours, lives in Ecosse, blah blah.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that more than likely, you're in the "Old" bracket, at least relative to this place. 25 is where the lower 90% age bracket ends.

Unless you've done all that by 17, in which case, congratulations. Except that teen pregnancy is bad, so shame on you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

455SD

Postby 455SD » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Hi everyone. My name is Ants. I'm 23 from Glasgow, Scotland. I've studied computing science as well as bits and pieces of mechanical and design engineering at uni. But I've stopped after two years because I was really struggling to enjoy the course and thought it'd be better to take a break while I had decent grades than to get thrown out in 3rd year because I couldn't be bothered. I'll go back to it in a year or so, possibly. Or do something I actually enjoy like linguistics or politics.

Currently, I'm running a business with my mate which provides pretty much any computer related service to small businesses in the city... from web sites to laptop repairs. After almost a year, things are starting to take off. Which means I'll probably be able to buy some lunch next week! :D

Return to “General”