Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby 74088 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

I am currently the cube of the second prime years old and live in the Finger Lakes region of central New York. I work with Macintosh computers and the people who use them wrong.

I own a time machine but mine has three seats and a slightly different method of propulsion.

I have been challenged to communicate solely by linking to webcomics; xkcd is a staple of that endeavor. There is an xkcd for every occasion. For example when a couple friends were discussing how they thought that ancient India had nuclear weapons 60,000 years ago this comic was highly relevant.

Aniviller

Postby Aniviller » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Hi!
I'm from Slovenia 20y old, living xkcd in full-scale :P

And the worst part is that I LOVE IT 8)

marxmarvelous

Postby marxmarvelous » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

I'm Joy, nearly 18. I grew up in Connecticut and now go to school in Boston. My username is from Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. I enjoy riding escalators, drinking Diet Cola, taking naps, observing people, and making money. This is my journal from first grade.
Yep.

Brandon Oto
treefucker

Postby Brandon Oto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

I'm Brandon, usually vector40 online, longtime fan of the comic, hanger-on at the IRC channel until Root put french fries in my coffee. Virtually everything I've ever thought, created, or manifested as (which amounts to a fair chug in twenty years) is available on my website (http://degreesofclarity.com/), but if you want a more personal regurgitation, just ask.

uknowwhoibe

Postby uknowwhoibe » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

Hi everyone. My name is Orion, and I currently live in Denver, CO. I grew up in Texas, but hated the humidity, so I moved north for fairer weather. I'm 27 with a background in finance/business/marketing and a hobby for etymology. Any questions related to mortgages, how they work, what they should be, or even better yet, could be, will be answered to the best of my knowledge.

I hope to enjoy my stay here!

-Orion

jtoast

Postby jtoast » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

Read the sticky and saw that an "Intro" post was semi-required so here ya go. I am a software packager/support monkey living near Tulsa Oklahoma. I work from home so my day consists of 20 minutes of frenzied activity before my daily conference calls and then 23hours, 40 minutes of surfing while drinking a Red Stripe.

Ranfea

Postby Ranfea » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:30 am UTC

Oh my.
Way to go Sparks, you broke the monitor and you're dead. Happy?

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Hullo there, xkcd forums!

I'm a rather short person/piece of kitchenware living on the west coast. I'm interested in maps, trees, langauges, rollerball pens, windows UI customization, cooking, birds, chemistry, sculpture, nethack, public transportation, shiny objects, puns, and making other people feel uncomfortable in public spaces.

I've been reading the comic since "Centrifugal force," I think, and I'm looking forward to foruming here too.

cdcarter

Postby cdcarter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

Christian Carter. Ruby Programmer, student, Stage Manager, general geek. Spend most of my time doing the theater thing. Located in the UTC-6.

Psychomax

Postby Psychomax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

I am Psychomax. I like video games and funny things. xkcd sometimes (rarely) has to do with video games, but it is frequently chock full of funny things. We were meant to be.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:51 am UTC

stockpot wrote:Hullo there, xkcd forums!

First rule of the fora: You don't talk about the fora.
Second rule of the fora: You don't talk about the fora.
Third rule of the fora: They're not called forums. Correct Latin conjugations for the win.

blurg

Postby blurg » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:12 am UTC

I am Blurg, I'm in the LASA robotics team, and that's about all you need to know.

Generic Protoplasm

Postby Generic Protoplasm » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:43 am UTC

I'm Generic Protoplasm, and I am an avid user of the interblag. I get my jollies programming and creating stuff. Mostly it's just useless crap.

I love math. I LOVE MATH. Math makes my world rotate. I may only be in a Pre-calculus class right now, but I do enjoy digging through Wikipedia for hours on end looking through math related stuff.

I am a nerd if there ever was one. I've got more social problems than a retarded sociopath. I believe that there are too many excessively ignorant people in schools nowadays and I sincerely hope that this problem finds itself a solution before those who pull the strings find one for us.

That's about all I feel like writing right now. I'm gonna go hang out in the math section.
Life is like a rock candy, you never know which attribute you're gonna increase next.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 am UTC

Generic Protoplasm wrote: Math makes my world rotate.

You must hang out with Pythagoras a lot...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Bob251

Postby Bob251 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:10 am UTC

I am Bob251, and I am a senior in college working towards getting a degree in Electrical Engineering. I've been reading XKCD for about a year now, and decided to poke my head in here on a whim.

So, hello! ^^/

Mug

Postby Mug » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 am UTC

Just an idiot (read: high school freshman) that decided to join the forums.

I don't expect to contribute much, or do anything that doesn't involve having people roll their eyes.

Also, I'm a terrible person for posting somewhere else first.
This is a block of text that is added to posts I make. There is a 255 character limit.

Fnord

Postby Fnord » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

Greetings!

I'm a chemistry student from sweden. I'm 22 years old, interested in history, science, philosophy, psychology... (the list goes on). Dont expect to see a whole lot of posts from me thought, i'l most likley lurk more than i post (note: no irony intended *points at screen-name*)

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

&salute;. I'm a high school student in California. My brother recommended XKCD to me, and then I clicked on the Forums button. I like...

Actually, just read Generic Protoplasm's post. Everything he says applies to me also, except for the "spending hours on Wikipedia" part. That doesn't especially appeal.

Also, I like science, especially relativity and quantum mechanics (whether I understand them well is irrelevant).

bbctol wrote:Third rule of the fora: They're not called forums. Correct Latin conjugations for the win

Wouldn't it be a declension?

I can't help but post this, due to countless hours on the Internet:
Last edited by Kerberos on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:03 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Araneae

Postby Araneae » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

I'm an elementary school teacher, first drawn into xkcd a few months ago. I live just outside of McKinney, Texas, in a little patch of woods just rollicking with poison ivy, owls, chunky brown spiders, and cardinals. At 38, I'm on the upper end of the age range here, but I feel like a kid most of the time: probably because I don't have children of my own.

I'm a very amateur photographer with a very good camera: the strengths of the second fact help to make up for the weaknesses of the first. I'm also an active editor on Wikipedia.

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

I am interesting in engineering and botany. Not sure which I will study in college yet. I'm 18, male, living near Atlanta, GA.

Oh, and I love xkcd. Sometimes I almost wet myself when I read them. Things like stepping only on certain tiles are scarily relevant to my inner workings.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Hello. My name is Julia, I'm eighteen years of age and I live in the UK, Sheffield to be exact.

I finished college in the summer and I'm part-time studying to gain floristry qualifications, its something I can imagine I'll enjoy doing day after day. I've been reading xkcd since the "myspace" one, and I've lurked in the forums for a while. Thats about it really.

schaduwen

Postby schaduwen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

Hello. My name is Marie and I'm 23. I live in Kansas, definitely wouldn't reccomend it for excitement. I've been reading this comic for a long time now and I've always enjoyed the laughs it brings, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi and stuffs.

aetherguy881

Postby aetherguy881 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Hey this is aetherguy881 poking his head in. Joining another forum to add to the list of many that I visit. Feel free to call me Mark, Paul, or any variation of aetherguy881.

I'm originally from CT but I am at Wilkes University in PA for college. I am majoring in electrical engineering.

I found out about xkcd from reddit and anticipate each and every new comic.

I also found out that someone that I know reads the comics, my cousin. I dunno if he's a member on the forum or not.

Yes, I mentioned many forums... Theopia, Librarium-online, volvospeed, bikefourms, spudfiles and a few that I can't remember off the top of my head.

And here I sit recovering from my recent (Friday) appendectomy...

Anyhoo, just droppin' by and saying hi.
--An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded--
--Ideas are bulletproof--

Shinryuu

Postby Shinryuu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

Bleh.. intro post. I'm 21 from Maine, of the masculine gender. I've been reading for about a year now, and was finally bored enough to make an account. I fix electronics.

Gyvulys624

Postby Gyvulys624 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

I guess I should make one of these here. I just spent a couple hours reading all the comics. Then within the last 50 or so, I realized there were extra scroll over comments - so I went back. Some of it is beyond me, as I am a junior in high school. However, I really enjoy them all. I made a folder in my Favorites for all of my favorite comics from here. I just have to say one of the best is Indecision - It's a more casual way to lead to that activity than just saying "Wanna get naked?" after an hour of sitting there. XD

Chaos9

Postby Chaos9 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:20 am UTC

HI, I don't usually post personal info on forums, but my three main hobbies are:
Games of any kind excluding sports, Swordfighting and anything that has to do with swords, and Writing.
I intend to keep my post count at 42 for the rest of my life.

halkonlar

Postby halkonlar » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 am UTC

Ok, US Ex-pat Lit teacher living in Colombia. Based on the ages in other introductions, I feel kind of old at just 31. Oh yeah, and I'm a guy. That information is present because, for whatever reason, I have caved into the demand for that bit of information which seems to matter entirely too much.

creativename

Postby creativename » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:35 am UTC

I'm Daniel. I almost never bother to post in intro threads...but on this forum is appears to be strongly encouraged. Anyway...

I'm a 17 year old male, and a second year college student. Hobbies include programming, anime/manga, and screwing around on the Internet. I joined back in August but never bothered to post. Been reading xkcd sporadically for some time.

Yep.

cheese_nabber

Postby cheese_nabber » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:44 am UTC

Hey, I'm 17 years old.

I read, play video games, play guitar, and act.

One of my hobbies is saying "I'm a thespian" loudly in crowded areas to see who looks.
Last edited by cheese_nabber on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This signature does not exist.

Rustendrage

Postby Rustendrage » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:39 am UTC

Hi....

looking forward to meet you all in forums..!! :wink:

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 am UTC

Hi.
I'm speak good english.
I'm go to Australian school

I'm 16, and lurking is fun! yay!
i like improper use of grammar!
*hides*

bbctol wrote:
stockpot wrote:Hullo there, xkcd forums!

First rule of the fora: You don't talk about the fora.
Second rule of the fora: You don't talk about the fora.
Third rule of the fora: They're not called forums. Correct Latin conjugations for the win.

Rustendrage wrote:Hi....

looking forward to meet you all in forums..!! :wink:

o_o

WHERE'S ME EDIT BUTTON

Nevermore-Burning

Postby Nevermore-Burning » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:47 am UTC

I'm James, in my 11th year o' schooling in UK, so I'm 15. Been reading xkcd for aaages, but only just decided to join the fora.

I like video games. Books. Very mmuch books. Err... also computers.

Damn this intrducing thing is hard to do!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:09 pm UTC

Greetings from this end of the tubes. You all can call me pie. I'm 19 years old, engaged, part-time student, full-time developer (currently: Java) for Northrop Grumman. Started reading xkcd a bit ago, and finally decided to join the fora. At school I'm studying Computer Science, and for my own personal gain, Japanese. Yeah, that's about it.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:42 pm UTC

I find my self agreeing with your avatar. Although I probably wont follow it in real life too often.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

la fée verte

Postby la fée verte » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Hi all, I'm a 19 year old British female, originally from Bristol but currently studying at the University of Nottingham.
I discovered xkcd during the googlebomb of the marketing campaign for Ask.com back in April and have been an avid fan ever since, but am a newcomer to the fora.
My primary interest is in language in all its forms, be that literature, linguistics, translation or awful puns. I'm in the second year of BA French and Latin, also learning Occitan for the first time this year. I can usually hold my own in a debate on ethics, philosophy or logic, and I know just about enough maths and computing to get *most* of the jokes in xkcd, although after a year and a half with no formal maths learning that is degrading alarmingly fast :(
The portion of my free time not eaten by the Internets tends to be spent listening to rock and/or metal, reading very bad fantasy novels, firespinning, drinking an astonishing variety of fancy teas and coffees, taking long baths, colouring in with felt-tip pens or almost any combination of the above.
"We are all polylingual but some of us pretend that there is virtue in relying on not trying to understand." - Ani DiFranco

ProletarianAvenger

Postby ProletarianAvenger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

This isn't my first post in the forum. :X but Yeah.

My name is Jayson, and I live in California. :D Nice to meet you all.

Chef Brian

Bio Pancakes.

Postby Chef Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Sometimes, there is a sunset.
In that sunset, there is cottage cheese.
Eat it if you want head worms.

[/misquote]

Seriously, though, I was linked here from FEP. Seeing THIS comic,
I decided I had to read the rest of them.

So, yea. Soggy bricks, and all.

SirEel

Postby SirEel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Hi.. this isn't my first post but when a thread I made got deleted I decided I'd bow to your tyranical rules. Anyhoo... I'm a bristol dude currently living in portsmouth (yes I do know la fee verte before you ask, even if you never would have cos then it would still be before). Um.. I'm a bit of a computer geek, in that while I don't go out wardriving or network cracking, I do spend not insignificant amounts of time programing and attempting to figure out what it is that ubuntu hates about my computers (yes plural, neither my laptop (kohjinsha <3) nor my pc will continue to boot windows after a ubuntu install..), I tend to come across more as a gamer with good computer knowledge, but it's just a sideline, I swear ;). I hate soup spoons, they are evil and trying to take over the world and eat my non existent babies, if you see one destroy it before it subverts a home near you. I'm a lover of maths, though the furthest I took it was further maths A level (only grade C, I was distracted (and for anyone that is unsure that puts me with the same knowledge as someone somewhere in the first two years of a degree in maths, if I hadn't forgotten quite as much as I have)). Other than that I juggle, I listen to rock, metal, rave, DnB, jazz, and whatever else takes my fancy, I play pool, drink cider (hard cider to those who live on a different island), sleep ridiculous hours and spend far too much time considering the implications of hypothetical situations.

edit: errata

Finn

Postby Finn » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

Oh bugger I missed this thread.

Ah well, Hello everyone, I'm from southwest england, attending college and spend most of that time playing guitar, writing for my solo project.

Or rotting my brain on the internet.
I am the Grand Poobah

schaduwen

Postby schaduwen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I find my self agreeing with your avatar. Although I probably wont follow it in real life too often.

Does that mean on rare occasions you will be following what the avatar tells you to do? :wink:

Return to “General”