Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Byrodaman

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Byrodaman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:57 am UTC

Hi everyone, I've been reading these comics for a while now, and I noticed these forums, I've been in lots of other forums, but I never became a big part in any of them :?

Anyway, My favorite comics are mostly the ones that are funny because they're stupid or don't make sense, I also like some of the complicated ones that I can understand...

Anyway I hope I have a good time in this forums, and expect to see future posts by me :roll:

libra

Postby libra » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Greetings.

I'm Alex. I live in the UK, and I'm a fan of XKCD. I look forward to enjoying my stay here.

BrotherPower

Postby BrotherPower » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

Hails and Horns. \m/

I just really got into XKCD, yesterday. Prior to actually coming to the site, I'd seen some of the comics floating around other places on the internet. Specifically, I'm referring to one of the Guitar Hero comics that gets shown on the Scorehero forums quite often. Throwing caution to the wind, I investigated the source.

I was immediately intrigued by the comics, and after observing the community, I felt compelled to dive in. I have interest in many of the topics: books, music, games, linguistics. Unfortunately, I'm not much for math. Though, for some reason, I get a real kick out of the Pythagorean Theorem.

VirtualVoid

Postby VirtualVoid » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
VirtualVoid wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:My name's Eli (hence the screen-name, for you language geeks),

Not to be confused with ayinlamedyud. 8)

Very true. My name does not come at the end of the phrase "Atah chayav lamut ..." in a pop song. BTW, anyone know THIS PHRASE SELF-CENSORED TO AVOID MOD INTERFERENCE*?

petfish/Allison: apparently you're one of those people who isn't at all shy when she can't see the people to be shy to?

* Why should copyright laws apply internationally anyway? You can't get a legal copy of "Atah chayav lamut alai" anywhere in the Western Hemisphere!

Well, I'd never heard of Hamsa, but then again I don't know much about Israeli pop beyond the mizrachi singers and Ivri Lider.
And there most definitely are places you can get a legal copy of Atah Chayav Lamut Alai in the Western Hemisphere... you just need to look harder. :)
</post>

outlier

Postby outlier » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Hi all. I am yet another 20-something that has been reading xkcd for awhile and lurking around the forums. There is a thread in the logic puzzles section that finally pushed me over the edge. Anyway, I'm going over there to rant.

divabat

Postby divabat » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:27 am UTC

Hi everyone,

I'm Tiara, 22, and my usual response to "where are you from?" is "good question". (Bangladeshi citizenship, born & bred in Malaysia for 20+ years, been studying in Australia for 1 1/2 years, who knows where I'll be next year onwards).

I'm passionate about youth and alternative education, volunteer for everything possible, feel most at home when I'm travelling, will die without books and the Internet, use swings as my main mode of transportation, stalk my mailbox on a regular basis hoping for a letter, and have replaced my blood with hot chocolate.

I have actually made out with my boyfriend at a spot that corresponds to our birthdays in coordinates. More on that in the Christmas GPS thread.

Hope you are well.

B*B, Tiara

permanoob

Postby permanoob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 am UTC

My name is Blair. Im from toronto. I just poured my heart out in the 400 most eloquent words I have ever written for this post, about my eroding feeling of being alive. I clicked preview, then I clicked back, and it was gone. GONE. Never before have I exposed myself so vividly. Fuck.

I think Ill start with the serious issues...

Q.W.Quee

Postby Q.W.Quee » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 am UTC

Hey. Quangle here, bringing joy, eagerness, and demi-obscure Edward Lear references. I hail from Scotland and am interested in many a quaint and curious thing.
According to the last forum I was on I am an "annoying little ****". Feel free to give your opinion on the matter.
Do you like my hat?

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:53 am UTC

Whoops! True to form, I forgot to read the forum rules before posting. Many thanks to the moderators for not bitchslapping me to SPAM purgatory. :)

I'm 23, write code in a deadend job for an investment bank, and spend most of my day reading xkcd and slashdot in order to distract myself from the fact that half my waking hours are spent in a Dilbert comic (albeit one with some sweet ass-graphics).

In my free time, I'm keen on amateur rocketry, and I am currently planning a homebrew entry for the Google Lunar X-Prize.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

pr1mu5

Postby pr1mu5 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Hi,
i'm John, 30ish/m/florida, married with two kids.

Used to live up in MA, went to Umass Lowell, hung out at MIT, (been on top of the dome late at night a few times, and put the brick back after taking it... did steal some of the punchcards we found laying around up there though).

I love puzzles, jokes, logic riddles, and generally things that make me think (much like other MENSA members, oooh a namedrop) and found these forums after enjoying the comic for so long, and found the 100-blue eyed person logic puzzle. Still don't like the answer to that one.

So, see you around...

jamesusillxd

Postby jamesusillxd » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

Hey
Im James, I had to take a break last night caus i was 20 comics of finishing them, And now im finished.
They are pure genious Randall Monroe, I salute you.
At first i thoought these were brilliant caus they were so random...
But at 3:00 in the morning... somehow... They make more sense.
I think the longer your in his mind set for the more you get the direction hes coming from.
*Only web comic ive actually bothered reading all of.

Beige

Postby Beige » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Hi

I can't remember how I ended up looking at a page on xkcd a couple of hours back (I'd already been surfing for a couple of hours and was getting a bit wandery, as you do) but I have just read through every comic on the page. Loved most of them, and though a few of them missed the mark I've still found myself here and registered. Just one of those insignificant little choices in life that might lead somewhere interesting. Maybe.

I'm 36 years old.

Gyvulys624

Postby Gyvulys624 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

I'm posting this because it said to post here first. Hi, I'm Andy. I am becoming interested in logic but have little to no background at all. I might be asking for help on logic riddles once every week or so, and they might seem easy, please bear with me XP

If anyone knows a good place to start learning more about logic, a website or book, please tell me about it. On to my first logic problem (look for new topic) :D

jdege
curmudgeon in training

Postby jdege » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

Hello, folks.

I'm Jeff, a life-long computer geek and certified gun nut.

jazzmansteve

Postby jazzmansteve » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Al

I live in the UK in a town called Ormskirk near Liverpool.

I'm Studying music tech in college, I don't yet have a job and a have a lot of spare time; partly the reason for joining a forum I guess.
...and also because I'm tired of getting blank looks from my college friends when I talk crazy, hopefully I can vent some of it here.

I also like stealing IKEA pencils

thank you
'You ate my paintings?!'

Djabanete

Postby Djabanete » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Hey,

After reading through all the comics in one sitting, I looked around for more stuff to chew on and found these exellent fora, dedicated to the discussion of... everything! So of course I registered, and now here I am.

~Djabanete

McAdam

Postby McAdam » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:06 am UTC

Hi. My name is McAdam. Love the comics on xkcd. Just joined today. I checked out the forums, and it looks ike this is a very cool site. Little to no background in what has already been discussed, but I hope to get involved.

Thanks,
McAdam

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 am UTC

McAdam wrote:Hi. My name is McAdam. Love the comics on xkcd. Just joined today. I checked out the forums, and it looks ike this is a very cool site. Little to no background in what has already been discussed, but I hope to get involved.

Thanks,
McAdam

Whoa... your postcount is zero. You are the ghost-poster.

shasan

Postby shasan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 am UTC

I'm Shaddi. I live in North Carolina, though I'm originally from Tennessee. I've been a stealth reader of xkcd for a while... but now I'm fully here and registered.

Shrewtality

Postby Shrewtality » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Hi, my name is Jace. I'm currently a Freshman computer science major student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Our main language of study is Java, and thats the only language I know. I was introduced to xkcd recently by a friend who goes by the user Gifflen on this board. I instantly loved xkcd and was compelled to read all of the comics.
I like computer games and console games alike. Namely WoW, Halo 2/3, and still Crono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.
I failed the turing test for the registration 2 times creating this account.
I approach infinity around 5, that way i can get through with it sooner.
me: I wouldnt know where to begin to respond to that... perhaps after the last digit of pi...

top1214

Postby top1214 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:09 am UTC

I'm Tom, 23, currently at Wash U getting my PhD in Molecular Genetics. I work with zebrafish, asking questions about regeneration. Occasionally, I get to use "lasers". I am married to science, but bridge is the mistress I keep telling my wife I will leave her for.

Dongorath

Postby Dongorath » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am UTC

Hello there,

My name's Pierre-Antoine, I'm 26, I live in France. I'm a programmer (currently : ASP.NET, C# and T-SQL) with a Master in CS. I think that saying I like the xkcd comics might be a bit superfluous ;)

I came on the forum while bored at work, and before I knew it, here I am, a registered user :mrgreen:

Tesla

Postby Tesla » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:32 am UTC

Hi,

In short: I'm Marc (28) from the Netherlands. I'm a electrotechnical engineer, with interests in programming, language and questions about life it self.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

whoa, another Dutchie on the forum...
<.<
>.>
>.<
<.>
*blink*
*hides*
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

laser

Postby laser » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

I'm Chris, 20, and a Computer Science student currently doing a placement for an anti-virus company in Oxford.

I've always been interested in physics and computer science but discovered a like for linguistics 2 years ago when I went to Uni and lived with 3 linguists. I'm also a licensed radio amateur.

I can't remember how I came across Xkcd, but I've been reading it for a while and finally decided to sign up to the forum.

So, Hi!

vicente408

Postby vicente408 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

Hey there everyone.

My name's Alex, a high school student in Iowa.

That's all you really need to know for know... watch for details as they unfold! :wink:

BiggAl

Hi

Postby BiggAl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

My name is Alistair, I'm a 20 year old guy, and I'm a web-aholic. It all started as a downward spiral, triggered by my family's late adoption of the internet. When I was about 13 we first got a 56K modem, which was used for several minutes every week, mainly for email. This continued to the age of 16, when I finally won my campaign to get a modem in my bedroom, in order to use my own computer over the family 80486 - this also lead to me having a less restricted use of the internet, leading to me running up a £30 phone bill in one quarter, at the rate of 1-2p per minute. This phone bill made quite an impact in restricting my internet usage, making me first feel the withdrawal symptoms of internet-loss. This was however short, as I came up with a method of paying back my parents by getting :drum roll: a job. Suddenly I was paying the internet usage myself and able to use the internet as much as I liked, until finally I went to university. At this point my addiction had well and truly kicked in.

Up until this point I had been limited to 56k, and so once I got onto the academic phat pipe things quickly went down hill, from internet forums and chat rooms to content based sites with users commenting on the content, then about half way through that year came two dangerous forces, the likes of which I had never encountered before - facebook, and hobowars. Many of you will know the former, but the latter is a dangerously addictive online text-based game, of which the oldest members have been going 5 years, and the most addicted members have spent thousands of dollars in donations....

This state of affairs continued until eventually I reached the end of my second year, and plunged straight into a placement, working for the second most recognized brand in computing as a software developer. This mixed with my addiction was a dangerous combination, as I had access to the internet throughout the day, with no /real/ restrictions, and I began to re-explore the world of webcomics and fora, reading the entire xkcd archive in one day, then quickly devouring other comics, before returning to this one, deciding that it was most in tune with the randomness within my mind. On joining this forum, I wish you all to know the peril I face if I slip further into my addiction.

Zuntrios
Location: Currently buried in the latest game I'm programming.

Postby Zuntrios » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Robert, 20, total nerd and otherwise social outcast, and gamer to the end. A friend of mine pointed me to this a long time ago, but due to a sudden overflow of hilarious comics, I finally decided to join the forums.
Algebra has been around for a very long time now, so why on Earth is x still unknown?!

infamousfreaky

Postby infamousfreaky » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Hi! I'm Lauren, I'm 21. I've been reading xkcd for a while now, though I don't remember how I found it and I've been lurking in the forums too but just registered today.

I work in retail, I draw & paint and I spend way too much money at diners. :mrgreen:

MythGuyDK

Postby MythGuyDK » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

Total nerd? I didn't know that. But now that you are umong the ranks of XKCD your neriness shall increase exponentially(sp?)! :D

*goes to show Zun around...*
Exactly!

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

Lo! My version of the first message ever sent through the internet.
I found xkcd when he visited my college campus this fall.

mntlchaos

Postby mntlchaos » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Yuliy, I'm 22 years old, recently moved to North Dakota. I'm a software developer with interest in math, physics, and logic. I love finding patterns, to the frequent dismay of my roommate. I'm here every monday, wednesday, and friday to satisfy the proud nerd living inside me.

theintegral

Postby theintegral » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Megan, an 18 year old freshman at Duke. I'm taking my first compsci class and trying to decide whether I might end up with that as a second major, my first being math. I've been reading xkcd since my boyfriend showed it to me sometime in the past 2 years.

Radikalskippy

Postby Radikalskippy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while now but I think it's time to get into the fun as well. Cheers!
"Only a fool quotes himself" - Radikalskippy

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

Post here first to what end? And why is British English the only option?

Conspiricy
Location: well, I would tell you, but the CIA are spying on me.

Postby Conspiricy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Hi! I'm Conor your resident paranoid member...shhhh!
Imagesig *jamesusillxd
check out my new forum! and y'no join it...http://www.createforum.com/butteredkitty/

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Hello.

I'm Craig, I'm 19 and I'm a physics student and I live in Scotland. Been lurking here for a while, been reading xkcd for a while longer.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

Conspiricy wrote:Hi! I'm Conor your resident paranoid member...shhhh!
Woot, another mystical 0-posts person!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

I'm old enough to have learned that marriage is a VERY expensive hobby. Do your own math.

I think that (age/2)+7, while not an absolute, is pretty gosh durn f**kin' close. I have been helplessly drawn in by some of this truly twisted humor. Think, "moth to flame".

I only use caps to emphasize a single word when I think that it emphasizes the humor.

I am also old enough to know that I'm no longer hot. However, I am spicy!
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Hi! This is my intro post, because I read the rules and am not spam. Erm.

I have been a fan of the comic for a long while; like many people when I was first linked to some random strip a while ago I had to go back to the beginning and read every single one. I am (theoretically although I am on leave from school currently) a linguistics/CS major, so -- geek! I am preeeeetty sure I will not be alone in my geekfulness on these forums :D
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “General”