Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

billnadair

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby billnadair » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Is it me or does joining a new forum always feel like the first day of school? Anyway, can't wait to get started and I vow to respectfully hide any confusing erections behind my books.

Aktanith

Postby Aktanith » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Hello, I am myself, I have been lurking for about [redacted] years, I enjoy reading, games. and music. (compromise: oxford full stop)
I am currently in my first year of a bachelor of science, majoring in computer science, maybe.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 02, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Welcome to all users of the Oxford comma. There is an interesting door at the left you may want to check out.
Welcome to all rejectors of the Oxford comma. Avoid the door on the left, there are raptors behind it.
Special welcome to the user of the Oxford full stop :D .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Oxford commas are where it's at, yo.

(Also, the raptors would open those doors and kill all y'all anyways)

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri May 03, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Welcome all oxford comma abstainers! Beyond the door on the left, you will encounter some toys, cars and raptors.

Welcome all oxford comma users! Beyond the door on the left, you will encounter some toys, cars, and raptors.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums for a few months. I like science, games, logic puzzles, music, and a lot of other stuff too. I hope my next post will be more interesting.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Hello lover of logic puzzles, enjoy the forum.

CloudStrife

Postby CloudStrife » Mon May 13, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Hello I'm awesome and joined this community and I have to post five times before I can attach files soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo here's one!!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Welcome!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

CloudStrife

Postby CloudStrife » Tue May 14, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

I like your cat avatar, it's like it's posing and it's cute

Amianym

Postby Amianym » Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Hello! I'm Amianym. Lately I have found myself dearly craving that unique internetty social space that is a forum, and I have fond memories of the xkcd fora, from a different account. They seem to be as lovely as ever. Thank you, mods, for keeping things nice! I dabble in several creative things; writing, soapmaking, and drawing in particular, and I'm kiiinda getting into fiber arts.

The Oxford comma is the best comma!

Zimraphel

Postby Zimraphel » Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Hi! I've been reading xkcd for years and just decided to join after lurking the forums for a while.
I'm an archaeology student/musician from the Netherlands. Like most people, I like lots of things. I am however too lazy to actually write them all down.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Jellyfish wrote:Hello. I am surprisingly uninteresting, so I don't have much to say here. I'm an unemployed college student, 21 years old, and... well, that's about it.

20 years on this planet, and i have yet to meet anyone who wasn't interesting.

welcome, and tell us about yourself.

edit: 21 years. damn birthdays, so confusing and stuff.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

I've been posting for some time now in the OTT*, but I haven't posted anywhere else, so I think I'll introduce myself.
I am a 17 year old male high school student living in Oregon. I have read XKCD for some time, but I didn't register on the forum until Time came. I have 3 cats. That's all I feel like saying.

*One True Thread&
&The thread for Time@
@The OTC$
$One True Comic
EDIT:typo
Last edited by tman2nd on Sat May 25, 2013 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

sarahlicious

Postby sarahlicious » Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

hi. i'm sarah teli. i really find this whole place really interesting. i wish everyone a good day.

NucleoSynth

Postby NucleoSynth » Fri May 24, 2013 10:27 am UTC

I am NucleoSynth.. Cant explain what that means. Its my backup username when all my faourite names were taken :(
I am a doc of medicine, do some art.. love puzzles.
Love xkcd comics.
Love to be here.

sourdough

Postby sourdough » Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Hey there!

I made this account awhile back but just decided that I want to start using it.

I just finished a two month internship working on a small organic farm and now I'm looking for a coding job. Coding is much easier then farming, but they both have there perks :)

I like hiking, biking, kayaking, and lately I've been making sourdough bread. I'm shy but I don't let that stop me from having fun. I do let it stop me from going to raging keggers. I prefer tau over pi :)

Thanks for reading!

Fernin

Postby Fernin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Hello all, Fernin here. Refugee from the dying Syd Lexia forums, one of the article writers over at the fledgeling Retrodrome.net, figured I'd see what the community was like here. Looks like a nice place here. :)

AYC

Postby AYC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Hiya. AYC here. Incoming college freshman, interests include video games, books, anime/manga, and the like. I'm pretty easy to talk with (at least in written form), though I say some silly things from time to time.

Ian Stark

Postby Ian Stark » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Hey guys. My name is Ian Stark. I'm a musician in support of the free music movement.

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:33 am UTC

17-year-old girl :twisted: . I spend my time doing nothing and writing lists.
Here's a list of things I like:
cinnamon
Firefly
cats
movies
The Smiths
Scrubs
people who hate people
etc :mrgreen:

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Cesario. Last name, Rose.

I work in IT. I live somewhere in the Mid-East in the United States. Probably near some hills and I think there is a significant body of water not too far away.

I like music and books. Occasionally I enjoy debates in Psychology and Ethics. But i'm a bit of a loner by nature.

Nice to meet yall.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Hi new people. Enjoy the forum.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Ian Stark wrote:Hey guys. My name is Ian Stark. I'm a musician in support of the free music movement.

What is the free music movement? (I could look it up myself, but since this is the only post you've made so far, I thought I'd see if you wreren't looking for someone to ask you.
teenidle wrote:17-year-old girl :twisted: . I spend my time doing nothing and writing lists.
Here's a list of things I like:
cinnamon
Firefly
cats
movies
The Smiths
Scrubs
people who hate people
etc :mrgreen:

I dislike cinnamon, Morrissey, and cats. I think Firefly and Scrubs are ok, but overrated. I think you and me are gonna be friends.

CesarioRose wrote:Hi. I'm Cesario. Last name, Rose.

I work in IT. I live somewhere in the Mid-East in the United States. Probably near some hills and I think there is a significant body of water not too far away.

I like music and books. Occasionally I enjoy debates in Psychology and Ethics. But i'm a bit of a loner by nature.

Nice to meet yall.

You have a cool name. I can imagine a Doctor Who assistant called Cesario Rose (if it's not to similar to Rose Tyler). I too live near hills and water.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

CesarioRose wrote:Hi. I'm Cesario. Last name, Rose.

Nice to meet yall.

IT eh? what specialty?

i have a feeling you and i shall be friends as well.

edit: also, just as a matter of curiosity, don't wanna start flame wars or anything. nature, or nurture?

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:
You have a cool name. I can imagine a Doctor Who assistant called Cesario Rose (if it's not to similar to Rose Tyler). I too live near hills and water.

Eh eh eh. Wouldn't that be a dream, though? But the (newer) Doctor(s) typically doesn't take on males as assistants. Except for of course Jack Harkniss. Which gives me some hope.

Tomlidich the second wrote:IT eh? what specialty?

i have a feeling you and i shall be friends as well.

edit: also, just as a matter of curiosity, don't wanna start flame wars or anything. nature, or nurture?

IT Support mostly. As for your question, which is an excellent question by the way, it depends on the individual I think. I've met people who, as adults, respond to either positively, hinting at their development. But I think you're asking how to begin development for a new person? Well, that's really tough to just give out a call; it really depends on a lot of variables (if we wanted to look at it from the point of view of a mathematical question, which we both know it isn't, strictly speaking.) I mean, of course, depending on the parent(s), their level and depth of knowledge and worldly experience, the social and cultural influences the child is likely to encounter throughout, the public or private education, just to think of a handful. This is of course, suggesting that, as a parent, we'd want the very best for our child, and aim to help the child acheive their very best.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

CesarioRose wrote:

Eh eh eh. Wouldn't that be a dream, though? But the (newer) Doctor(s) typically doesn't take on males as assistants. Except for of course Jack Harkniss. Which gives me some hope.

And Mickey, Wilf and Rory.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Okay, you have me on Rory as he was around for more than one series. But Micky and Wilf weren't as popular as Jack or Rory. :)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

CesarioRose wrote:
IT Support mostly. As for your question, which is an excellent question by the way, it depends on the individual I think. I've met people who, as adults, respond to either positively, hinting at their development. But I think you're asking how to begin development for a new person? Well, that's really tough to just give out a call; it really depends on a lot of variables (if we wanted to look at it from the point of view of a mathematical question, which we both know it isn't, strictly speaking.) I mean, of course, depending on the parent(s), their level and depth of knowledge and worldly experience, the social and cultural influences the child is likely to encounter throughout, the public or private education, just to think of a handful. This is of course, suggesting that, as a parent, we'd want the very best for our child, and aim to help the child acheive their very best.

that was actually very thorough and well thought out, i like it.

we are certainly going to be friends. welcome.

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Nice. Thank you.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

CesarioRose wrote:

And Mickey, Wilf and Rory.

And Craig (2 episodes), and Adam (1.5 episodes - and was pretty much just a plot device).

And then again, for the classic Who, there's the Brigadier, Harry Sullivan, Adric, Turlough, Jamie, Ian, Steven, Ben, Sgt. Benton...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few at least...
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

gear-guy

Postby gear-guy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

*Emerges from cupboard*
HELLO! I've been here on and off for over 3 years now! I haven't really posted much in the past (understatement of the century), but this time I'm here to stay, probably.
Last time I was here, I was a first year Technical Support student. Well, due to a variety of factors ranging from severe anxiety through to plain laziness, the year culminated with a near constant 40 hour work day, a complete 1am meltdown and having about a third of the year's work uncompleted, unsurprisingly I failed. Therefore having a change of direction, to a photography course/degree to be exact, something I find just as enjoyable but also far more relaxing than fixing stupid people's computers. I might change back in a few years when I get tired of taking photos of beautiful landscapes/things/people and want to go back to tearing my hair out over why a computer that, by all rights, should work perfectly, won't turn on.
Aside from that, I like classic cars and nice guitars, and am slightly obsessed with the colour red.
Well, that's quite a lot more than I expected to write about a very small portion of my life, incredible. I'd like to make a few friends here, so please feel free to talk to me!*

*Read: talk to me please!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

gear-guy wrote:I might change back in a few years when I get tired of taking photos of beautiful landscapes/things/people and want to go back to tearing my hair out over why a computer that, by all rights, should work perfectly, won't turn on.

You make that seem really probable :D .

Feel (re)welcomed and enjoy the forum.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Hello!

(How many years have you been greeting people here Monika?)

EDIT: oh wow, almost five years. And that was only seven days after I joined.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

gear-guy

Postby gear-guy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Monika wrote:You make that seem really probable :D .

You never know! I enjoy being under pressure occasionally, it just makes me a bit unstable is all :P

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

gear-guy wrote:
Monika wrote:You make that seem really probable :D .

You never know! I enjoy being under pressure occasionally, it just makes me a bit unstable is all :P

some people like the pressure, some don't. its really a varying factor.

but welcome to our little world :)

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Hello, I'm Wesley and I live on the border between Belgium and the Netherlands, I've been mostly reading along the last three years, posting at different intervals. I'm half Polish half Flemish. At the moment I'm studying agricultural engineering at a local university. My most important hobbies are dancing (thanks to xkcd!) and volleybal, recreationally. I like talking about national and international politics, history, some philosophy, music (all times and all styles), local Belgian 'craft beers',... I was a founding member of a political student organisation which had 'active pluralism' as its central subject, until it fell apart this year. I'm always interested in some interesting discussions or meeting new friends here :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Half Polish, half Flemish? So on average you're German? :D

How did you pick up dancing because of xkcd?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:00 am UTC

So... it's been a bit over a year since I've been around. I lost my pw and Jordan reset it (thanks Jordan!).

I figure I should probably start at the beginning though.

Hey guys, I'm thefiddler, also known as Caitlin or Cait. I, obviously, play the violin. I'm a former general moderator who has not been legitimately active since 2009, or so.

I don't really know what else to say because I have a few intro posts all ready on the forums and if you're really that interested, I'm sure you can dig for them.

So, hi...?

Return to “General”