Randall's Linux Distro?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CliffordSR

Randall's Linux Distro?

Postby CliffordSR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Hello all, first post. Maybe last; this is just a specific question I have. Also, sorry if this topic exists, I did several searches here, as well as on the internet.

What Linux distro does Randall use (assuming he uses Linux, which he probably does)?

Thanks all,
cliffordsr

eternauta3k

Re: Randall's Linux Distro?

Postby eternauta3k » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Since he's an artist, he runs Mac OS X.
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

The comic makes occasional references to his running Ubuntu and OSX.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

dii

Postby dii » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

eternauta3k wrote:Since he's an artist, he runs Mac OS X.

I'm an artist and I've never ran Mac OS X. Besides Mac OS X has a stupid name, it doesn't even use an X server.

Anyway there's plenty of references in XKCD to Linux and Unix. Even some BSD references. And even one reference to Haiku. I'm pretty sure that Randall, as an alpha geek, has several different operating systems on several different machines. You don't get geek cred unless you have at least an average of 1.5 operating systems per computer.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

He runs Windows 95.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 am UTC

dii wrote: it doesn't even use an X server.

I think X11 is in there by default. I'll boot Os X and check.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-03-16 à 09.14.36.png
Capture d’écran 2013-03-16 à 09.14.36.png (22.96 KiB) Viewed 20026 times

dii

Postby dii » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:

Ok maybe I'm mistaken... I thought they had their own display server, Quartz or something. But I'm not an expert at mac stuff, the last mac I used had a black and white screen...

screen317

Postby screen317 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

CliffordSR wrote:Hello all, first post. Maybe last; this is just a specific question I have. Also, sorry if this topic exists, I did several searches here, as well as on the internet.

What Linux distro does Randall use (assuming he uses Linux, which he probably does)?

Thanks all,
cliffordsr
Why are you trying to peer into this..? Will you next ask what brand of shoes he wears...?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

dii wrote:Ok maybe I'm mistaken... I thought they had their own display server, Quartz or something. But I'm not an expert at mac stuff, the last mac I used had a black and white screen...

There's an "XQuartz" thingy on my computer too. Would assume it's also based on X.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 am UTC

screen317 wrote:
CliffordSR wrote:Hello all, first post. Maybe last; this is just a specific question I have. Also, sorry if this topic exists, I did several searches here, as well as on the internet.

Thanks all,
cliffordsr
Why are you trying to peer into this..? Will you next ask what brand of shoes he wears...?

He wears sandals.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 am UTC

dii wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:

Ok maybe I'm mistaken... I thought they had their own display server, Quartz or something. But I'm not an expert at mac stuff, the last mac I used had a black and white screen...
Most Mac applications don't use X11. It does have support for X11 applications, but it's more for applications that also target other Unix-like systems (e.g., Gimp, Inkscape, and Wine use it), and X11 applications don't quite behave like native applications (e.g., they don't use the system's menu bar). As of OS X 10.5 (I don't know about later versions), it's not installed by default but is on the installer CD.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Argure

Postby Argure » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 am UTC

Mac OS X mainly uses the CocoaUI. X11 was available up until 10.7 but has been removed in 10.8. Trying to open X11 will direct you to download XQuartz. Which isn't all that bad, XQuartz was always far superior than stock X11.

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

teelo wrote:
screen317 wrote:

Thanks all,
cliffordsr

He wears sandals.

Randall's sandals
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

dii

Postby dii » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Argure wrote:Mac OS X mainly uses the CocoaUI. X11 was available up until 10.7 but has been removed in 10.8. Trying to open X11 will direct you to download XQuartz. Which isn't all that bad, XQuartz was always far superior than stock X11.

Hm, I suppose it's something similar to what Xwayland is (going to be) on Wayland...

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 am UTC

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

eternauta3k wrote:Since he's an artist, he runs Mac OS X.
...Eh?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Pretty sure he's saying that sarcastically, because... you know... Macs are better for art and stuff...

excluding the fact that almost all de-facto standard and top level media creation/editing software runs on both Windows and Mac OS. Also the main components are essentially the same.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

elminster wrote:Pretty sure he's saying that sarcastically
One can never be too sure
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
elminster wrote:Pretty sure he's saying that sarcastically
One can never be too sure

Indeed you can't.
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

metaf

Postby metaf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 am UTC

I'm curious why you're curious about his distro. Are you trying to pick a distro or something?

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

metaf wrote:I'm curious why you're curious about his distro. Are you trying to pick a distro or something?

Ignore this if you are trying to get by with just an SSD...

Distros don't exactly take up a whole lot of space, especially if you can point them all at the same /home partition (any distro that doesn't allow such control tends not to finish installation on my computer so I could be missing a few). This means you can have what I called "Linux Survival" (I tried a long time ago).

Download a bunch of distros and load them onto your computer. I'd make at least one extended partition for partitions containing several distros root drive (without the /home partition they shouldn't be more than a few gigabytes, 10G should cover each). Use each distro and when they irk you, delete them off the hard drive. When you are down to a single distro (or prefer one of several non-irking ones) wipe the partition and replace it with the prefered distro (you may want to find a use for the rest of the space, it is unlikely to get used by the distro).

Ideally, I'd put the test extended partition on the end of the /home partition and expand the home partition over it when done and put the winner on a SSD (/usr, /bin and such can use very little space on moldy oldy SSDs with poor write allocation, just check /swap and a few others before dumping them on SSD).

Struggle_for_Pleasure

Postby Struggle_for_Pleasure » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Does anyone have recommendations on good distros for cybersecurity? I.e. least vulnerability to malware.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Struggle_for_Pleasure wrote:Does anyone have recommendations on good distros for cybersecurity? I.e. least vulnerability to malware.

There's probably some metric that could tell you that, but it doesn't really matter. If you follow the guidelines for using the distro properly (which would be distro specific, and mostly about their package management system) you're not going to have to worry about random attacks (or at least I'd be shocked if you did, I've never actually heard of that happening to anyone using Linux without doing seriously wrong stuff with it), and for people deliberately targeting you making sure that no one physically gets to your box or convinces someone who can to do something to it is the most important part.

Basically, when it comes to home use malware is essentially a non-issue for Linux. Corporate security is another matter mind you since there can be serious financial incentive to compromise a system, but the barrier is just too high (unless you make some serious mistakes that can be done on any distro) to bother trying to compromise some Joe Schmo's home computer.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 am UTC

zenten wrote:Basically, when it comes to home use malware is essentially a non-issue for Linux. Corporate security is another matter mind you since there can be serious financial incentive to compromise a system, but the barrier is just too high (unless you make some serious mistakes that can be done on any distro) to bother trying to compromise some Joe Schmo's home computer.

It's probably true that malware is a non-issue in Linux for home use, but that's only because the market share is so small. There is no technical barrier; given how often things simply don't work in Linux, it seems self-evident that it must be full of security holes as well. That would also be expected given that most development is done by volunteers.

To answer the question: your safest bet is probably with a distro that is backed by a company, e.g. Ubuntu, Red Hat or SUSE. The latter two are older, so presumably also more mature and less vulnerable than Ubuntu.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:There is no technical barrier; given how often things simply don't work in Linux, it seems self-evident that it must be full of security holes as well. That would also be expected given that most development is done by volunteers.

The thing is that security holes in the core OS components are exploited significantly less than the security holes in applications (in terms of home users, at least). So if there is a remote code execution exploit in Firefox, it's likely going to be on Linux*, and OSX, Windows (luckily since Windows Vista people stopped running everything as Admin). What's important is staying up to date with software, as security exploits tend to be known for months before people start getting hit by malware that use the exploits; Linux distros have a superior model in this respect, by providing pretty much all software and updates through package managers. Of course, the big company thing still stands as a popular, company backed project is likely to have updated software deployed much faster than some small, independent project.

*As you stated, Linux will be targeted less, so even if it has the vulnerability, you might still be safe in terms of pure odds.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Jplus wrote:There is no technical barrier; given how often things simply don't work in Linux, it seems self-evident that it must be full of security holes as well. That would also be expected given that most development is done by volunteers.

The thing is that security holes in the core OS components are exploited significantly less than the security holes in applications (in terms of home users, at least). So if there is a remote code execution exploit in Firefox, it's likely going to be on Linux*, and OSX, Windows (luckily since Windows Vista people stopped running everything as Admin). What's important is staying up to date with software, as security exploits tend to be known for months before people start getting hit by malware that use the exploits; Linux distros have a superior model in this respect, by providing pretty much all software and updates through package managers. Of course, the big company thing still stands as a popular, company backed project is likely to have updated software deployed much faster than some small, independent project.

*As you stated, Linux will be targeted less, so even if it has the vulnerability, you might still be safe in terms of pure numbers.

And the tl:dr version.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And the tl:dr version.

hehehe

being the linux wonder boy around the office has its perks and downsides.

i get to be the one to tear open suspicious windows executables to check for bugs and the like.

also, some days, i have been the only one in the office with a setup still running, due to a few day zero bugs that hit us.

then you have the days where i break something and spend half an hour getting my word processor working again.

always an adventure.

Return to “General”