Procrastination

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

amylizzle

Procrastination

Postby amylizzle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

So I just read http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/procrastination-is-not-laziness/. The relevant part being:
You see, procrastinators tend to be people who have, for whatever reason, developed to perceive an unusually strong association between their performance and their value as a person. This makes failure or criticism disproportionately painful, which leads naturally to hesitancy when it comes to the prospect of doing anything that reflects their ability — which is pretty much everything.
Particularly prone to serious procrastination problems are children who grew up with unusually high expectations placed on them. Their older siblings may have been high achievers, leaving big shoes to fill, or their parents may have had neurotic and inhuman expectations of their own, or else they exhibited exceptional talents early on, and thereafter “average” performances were met with concern and suspicion from parents and teachers.

I hadn't thought about it this way before, and now that I have, I am acutely aware that I strongly associate my performance on any given task with my self-worth, and if my performance isn't consistently above average, I have failed. The next logical step was to attempt to realise that my self-worth and my performance are *not* inherently linked, which then immediately produced a sense of horror at the thought of overcoming that association and being "average".

I have no idea how to deal with this, and it's rather crippling me at the moment (final year project for my degree course is to be submitted in 10 days, I'm about 70% done).

Anybody got a magic pill for chronic procrastination?

Adam H

Re: Procrastination

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Their older siblings may have been high achievers, leaving big shoes to fill, or their parents may have had neurotic and inhuman expectations of their own, or else they exhibited exceptional talents early on, and thereafter “average” performances were met with concern and suspicion from parents and teachers.
Check, check and check. Well, I'm off to wallow in self-pity, never to do a lick of work ever again. :D
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Here, read this. Or this. Maybe this. If Belial sticks his beak in here, he'll probably throw down a crapload more stuff.... also, I think this has been covered before, but man the search terms are going to be wonky in tracking it down.

In retrospect, years after getting out of the school system, the worst thing that ever happened to me academically was being told that I was "so smart". After all, if you try and fail, you let people down or otherwise don't live up to what they think of you... but if you don't even try, you're ... well, basically pulling a Silent Bob, I guess. You never do anything making the times you do remarkable and notable.

Granted, I figured out that I was not exactly the intellectual peer of my classmates relatively quickly, but there's a difference between thinking "Man, why are some of the others taking so long to figure this out" and "This is like, the fifth teacher to remark at length about me being smart....."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

I had a Calvin and Hobbes comic many years ago about procrastination. I wish I could find it.
He was saying that homework requires the right inspiration, and that he can't do his homework until he has the right inspiration. And the inspiration is last minute panic.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 am UTC

I think the main problem with is that the school system is regarded as being the arbiter of who is intelligent and who isn't.

I think that instead of how accurately we are shaped to fit into the boxes provided by society, we should base our school system (and our system of assigning merit to people) on how well people reach their own potential. Then we would have a lot more people reaching their own potential, instead of only reaching the 'potential' that was assigned to them.
IMO, we'd also be a lot better off as a society if we did it right.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 am UTC

If you find the pill by tonight please tell me. I have my other midterm tomorrow and all I want to do right now is sleep.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 am UTC

amylizzle wrote:I hadn't thought about it this way before, and now that I have, I am acutely aware that I strongly associate my performance on any given task with my self-worth, and if my performance isn't consistently above average, I have failed. The next logical step was to attempt to realise that my self-worth and my performance are *not* inherently linked, which then immediately produced a sense of horror at the thought of overcoming that association and being "average".
Overthinking the matter and waxing about the nature of pedagogy might not helpful either.

(final year project for my degree course is to be submitted in 10 days, I'm about 70% done)
I bet there are some people who haven't even started yet. Such is the nature of college papers. Well, in Arts, at least. Or so I'm told.

Anybody got a magic pill for chronic procrastination?
"Anyone Can Do Any Amount of Work, Provided It Isn’t the Work He Is Supposed To Be Doing At That Moment."

That is the closest you can get to "magic".

dudiobugtron wrote:I think that instead of how accurately we are shaped to fit into the boxes provided by society, we should base our school system (and our system of assigning merit to people) on how well people reach their own potential. Then we would have a lot more people reaching their own potential, instead of only reaching the 'potential' that was assigned to them.
Through no fault of the school system, some people spend their entire lives trying to figure out what their "own potential" is; many people never do. To "base" the school system on such a thing would require a tremendous amount of resources, at best.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Overthinking the matter and waxing about the nature of pedagogy might not helpful either.

Nonsense! Over-thinking matters and waxing about pedagogy is a great way to procrastinate!

dudiobugtron wrote:I think that instead of how accurately we are shaped to fit into the boxes provided by society, we should base our school system (and our system of assigning merit to people) on how well people reach their own potential. Then we would have a lot more people reaching their own potential, instead of only reaching the 'potential' that was assigned to them.
Through no fault of the school system, some people spend their entire lives trying to figure out what their "own potential" is; many people never do. To "base" the school system on such a thing would require a tremendous amount of resources, at best.[/quote]
It might - it would also require a different mindset. I don't think we should base it on what people think their potential is. And I know you can't judge people's potentials exactly; of course. But in general the outcomes would be better. Here are some examples:

"You could get much better at <subject>." vs "You are below the proscribed standard for <subject>."
"You beat your personal best score." vs "You scored lower than the proscribed standard."
"<name> is not reaching <gender-specific-pronoun> potential at <subject>" vs "<name> is underachieving at <subject>"
etc etc...

Return to “General”