**Does anything interesting correlate with heart-rate?**

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

DMalik

**Does anything interesting correlate with heart-rate?**

Postby DMalik » Thu May 05, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Anything interesting you thought might correlate with heart-rate? For example, do you think people's opinions on aliens or religion might show some connection? How about the age of their parents, or the colour of their eyes? Have any studies been done on this?

As part of a school project, I can do a study on how various factors correlate with heart rate. I'll have a sample size of between 30 and 100 adolescents. A study on resting heart-rate would be easier, but anything that doesn't require more than 5 minutes can work. :)

Velifer

Re: **Does anything interesting correlate with heart-rate?**

Postby Velifer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Why don't you go do some SCIENCE and let us know...
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

Sure, things like hyperthyroid disorders, obesity, hypertension, autoimmune disorders, cancers, infection, exercise habits, sleep habits, stress, and psychiatric disorders all correlate in some way with heart rate.

But if you're looking for a correlation between religion, favorite colors, or whether someone likes sweet potatoes, you're not going to find it. Even if there was a possible link, the signal-to-noise is going to completely overwhelm it. In other words, the other factors, like those listed above, are going to completely dominate any correlation study making your data look completely random.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Lots of interesting things correlate with heart rate - but not really random things. You might be in luck with how old the parents were when your subject is born, or maybe their birthweight though as that can affect your physiology slightly. However, with such a small sample size it's hard to pick up very small variations, especially when there are so many factors that can affect it, as has already been mentioned.

Maybe you could try heart rate with how jumpy people are (ie easily startled) or whether they like scary movies? You could show a clip or something in your five minutes and measure the change in heart rate, which will be more interesting than just looking at resting heart rates. That might give you something. It's possibly been done - I haven't checked.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

If you think eye color depends on heart rate I have something important to tell you! Nothing correlates with heart-rate because the heart is merely a vestigial organ. You're better off looking for correlation of personalities and blood types because at least some people already have that crazy notion.

csanders

Postby csanders » Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Have fun and pick 20 or so things to test, and see if you can find some significant correlations. Zodiac sign could get you 12 categories, favorite color would be a batch more. Any correlations you find would be pure chance, but it's a good way to have fun with statistics.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu May 05, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:the heart is merely a vestigial organ

I think you're using that term quite incorrectly.

The appendix is a vestigial organ. The heart, on the other hand, serves a rather important function...

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Was my sarcasm not obvious enough?

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu May 05, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Was my sarcasm not obvious enough?

It really wasn't. In fact I'm still reading it looking for the sarcasm.

I mean, your post says almost exactly the same thing as the one immediately before it. And if you remove the word "vestigial" then your post actually makes plenty of sense.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:And if you remove the word "vestigial" then your post actually makes plenty of sense.

broken_escalator wrote:Nothing correlates with heart-rate because the heart is merely a organ.

Except that isn't true and makes no sense. I award you no pedantry points and may god have mercy on your soul.

DMalik

Postby DMalik » Thu May 05, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

Mm, thanks for the Zodiac suggestion. I could turn it into a 'astrology is false* and also it should fall into an open sewer and die' thing.

* Or not. Dun dun dunnnnnn...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 am UTC

I agree that astrology is false, but I'm not sure how failing to correlate with heart rate would be evidence for that. Does astrology ever claim to correlate with heart rate?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Sagekilla

Postby Sagekilla » Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

One of my professors in my Physics Department actually does research on this.

His name is Harold Hastings, I don't have the papers off hand but I'm sure you can find them fairly easily on Google.

There are actually some interesting properties with heart rate, but it can be very complicated from what I've heard from him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin#Sinking wrote:Researchers found a cheese sandwich which exhibited no visible signs of decomposition, and was in fact eaten.

DrSir

Postby DrSir » Sun May 08, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

Correlation with opinions? Doubt it. At best there may be a correlation do to common factors, but I sincerely doubt you will get many cognitive constructs associated with heart rates like that.

csanders

Postby csanders » Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I agree that astrology is false, but I'm not sure how failing to correlate with heart rate would be evidence for that. Does astrology ever claim to correlate with heart rate?

No, it's not about proving astrology false. The hope is that at least one sign will correlate to heart rate (like the jellybeans in the comic) and then you can teach people about abusing statistics. With 12 signs, you've got a 46% chance of at least one false positive correlation.

Nat

Postby Nat » Sun May 29, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

It might not even be coincidental, birth month affects chance of clinical depression, so why not heartrate.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 am UTC

Nat wrote:It might not even be coincidental, birth month affects chance of clinical depression, so why not heartrate.

Citation needed.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

letterX

Postby letterX » Mon May 30, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Mokele wrote:
Nat wrote:It might not even be coincidental, birth month affects chance of clinical depression, so why not heartrate.

Citation needed.

Well, the very first google result for birth month clinical depression is this paper. Not really interested in reading it, but the abstract is:
To test whether Australians in utero during the Southern hemisphere flu peak would show increased suicidal and depressive symptoms, as would those born in the Northern hemisphere and who were in utero during the Northern hemisphere flu peak. A sample of 2514 adolescents and young adults presenting to general practitioners completed measures of depressive and suicidal symptoms. Patients’ date and country of birth were recorded. Those born in the Southern hemisphere in September–November showed the highest suicidal and depressive symptoms, as did those born in the Northern hemisphere in March–May. Season of birth may be a risk factor for depressive and suicidal symptoms.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue May 31, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

DMalik wrote:Anything interesting you thought might correlate with heart-rate?

Life.

Return to “Science”