Two faced kitten?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ringbearer31

Two faced kitten?

Postby ringbearer31 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Ok, I've seen pictures, so originally I accepted it as the truth, but I thought, how could that happen? So I looked up the disease Diprosopus, which is said to be the cause. It turns out that Diprosopus is caused by the protein “sonic hedgehog” weird right? Well that’s not all, it turns out that a potential inhibitor for this protein is Robotnikinin. Wait isn’t that…. Yup its Sonics’ nemesis. Is this for real? Or is someone trying to get attention with a photo-shopped picture and a couple of cleverly placed yet unnoticed Wikipedia articles?

The Reaper

Re: Two faced kitten?

Postby The Reaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Getting multiples of things is not unheard of. Getting singles of things you normally get multiples of is also not unheard of. I've seen the picture, as to its authenticity, I have no idea. I have, however, seen many two-headed animals' pictures.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

he names of the genes are real, the people that discovered them named them stupid things. There's lots of genes with daft names.
there's a list of some of them here: http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/genes.html the spacings a bit messed up though, but you can work out which function is linked to which name easily enough...

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

This should be in "Science", right?

In any case, sonic hedgehog is one of the hedgehog genes, which control the fate of regions/segments of the body and how they develop. Naming one of the hedgehog genes sonic hedgehog isn't exactly a leap. There isn't a rule that scientists have to have serious names; they like to have fun too.

These are very important genes. Something going wrong thus leads to potential doubling of parts, missing parts, or otherwise disfigured regions. However, they do represent a set of genes where small changes in the gene could lead to big changes in the development of an organism.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Article I read gave it a 50/50 chance, which seems high. At best, I'd imagine 1 or both sets of eyes don't function unless the two faces don't share a brain, in which case the nervous system is probably a mess.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

I have no idea about the two faces, it would all depend on the brain (bear in mind some creatures have extra sensory organs anyway). However, there are Siamese twins* who share a body from the neck down. They can live full lives.

*Not sure of the term in this case.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

Some creatures also have independent eyes, but the human brain doesn't have the ability to function in that capacity normally. The brain will do everything in it's power to function like it's been made to do (Phantom limb syndrome demonstrates this fairly well).
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:I have no idea about the two faces, it would all depend on the brain (bear in mind some creatures have extra sensory organs anyway). However, there are Siamese twins* who share a body from the neck down. They can live full lives.

*Not sure of the term in this case.

Synecephalus
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjoined_twins

though I'm not sure if the mechanism causing any type of conjoined twins is the same as that causing the two-faced kitten...

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:However, there are Siamese twins* who share a body from the neck down. They can live full lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_an ... any_Hensel

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

This whole thread is fail for lack of reference.
Spoiler:
SpidersCat.gif
SpidersCat.gif (24.45 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Science”