Dial 328-427

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

makc

Dial 328-427

Postby makc » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

did anything happen in dialectics (especially its epistemology application) after Marx? seems like it was entirely dropped in the west and conservated in the east.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Dial 328-427

Postby Felstaff » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

What the hell are you talking about? And what does the title have to do with your question? And what does philosophy have to do with science?

Anyway, in answer to your question, Fichte had the final word, and that was like 100,000 years ago. Marx took Hegelian dialectics and smooshed it with materialism, which is the basis of Marxism. Just assume that western dialectics got consumed into a tenet of Marxism. György Lukács took it a bit further, but mainly it became passée due to all the Communism and political hoo-haaing and whatnot. Stevie G was a biological dialecticist, but doesn't really further the philosophy of dialectics, just uses Engel's definite position on the subject and translates that to the natural world, as opposed to the philanthropical one. I don't know Eastern philosophy, so wiki is your best bet.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Well, if you search "Dial 328-427" in google, it gives you the weekly coal production of October 31, 1987 in the US and other equally important stuff. Who would ever search for that data?
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

makc

Postby makc » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:what does the title have to do with your question?
That's easy to figure out if you think about it longer than a second...
kernelpanic wrote:search "Dial 328-427" in google
...and googling is not thinking.
Felstaff wrote:And what does philosophy have to do with science?
Mods feel free to move to "serious business"; but around here we were told that philosophy is science too.
Felstaff wrote:Anyway, in answer to your question...
Thanks, checking the links.

TescoPeeledPlums

Postby TescoPeeledPlums » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

ICWUDT
Spoiler:
328-427 spells out "ECTICS" on the keypad of a phone. Thereby spelling Dial ECT-ICS. I don't see why no-one else has spotted that. I've no idea about your actual subject though.
You can't overdose on homeopathy, but you can fucking drown.

Reddit needs an /r/circlejerk subreddit for these things, I don't like having gaudy blue things in my signature:
salsa cubesalsa cubesalsa cubesalsa cube

makc

Postby makc » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

bingo

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

makc wrote:[ but around here we were told that philosophy is science too

Well it seems that you have been misinformed. While philosophy may very well be an academic subject, its theories are seldom open to falsification, or to any experiment at all. I personally distrust all environments where one appears to be better by writing longer texts and inventing own terminology.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

I'm certainly a great fan of philosophy and science, but science to me has always been about testing, and philosophy about a priori reasoning.

EDIT: clever title, by the way
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

makc wrote:That's easy to figure out if you think about it longer than a second...and googling is not thinking.

Mods feel free to move to "serious business"; but around here we were told that philosophy is science too.

No, with that attitude, you just get a threadlock.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”