Cloning

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Waylah
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby Waylah » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:21 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote: a discussion about clones having souls is stupid.

agreed.

makc
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby makc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I'm confused right now because I don't know what angle you're approaching this from. Do you believe in souls outside the context of this thread? I don't, but my common conception of what a soul is supposed to be is what I was talking about in that first quote. Then, you want to discuss whether clones have souls, but you refuse to actually tell us what a "soul" is to you. This thread is increasingly silly.
What I am saying is that it's possible to construct "believable" concept of soul that can be present in natural-born humans and not in clones.

Waylah
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby Waylah » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 am UTC

makc wrote:What I am saying is that it's possible to construct "believable" concept of soul that can be present in natural-born humans and not in clones.


Prove it.
Evidence, or it ain't science. If you're just defining a concept, then that's language. If you're putting forth an idea that you claim is 'believable', give us some sort of evidence. Otherwise you're just defining a concept, as one might describe a mythical creature. Define away, but the word has no validity in reality without any evidence in reality. "Pegasus" is a word. It is possible to construct a concept of such a winged horse. However, that ain't science.

makc
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby makc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:41 am UTC

Waylah wrote:Prove it.
I believe it. Done :)

Waylah
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby Waylah » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 am UTC

makc wrote:
Waylah wrote:Prove it.
I believe it. Done :)


Well done. Your statement "it's possible to construct "believable" concept of soul that can be present in natural-born humans and not in clones." is, by definition, true. (If you're not lying when you say 'I believe it')

But as we're wandering into proving things with definitions here, then I think this is the wrong board for this. Semantics proves things by defining them. This is a science board. You want to talk science? Define something first, then discuss the probability of it being true or not, based on evidence.

edit: Should I stop poking the dead squirrel? I'm bored.

makc
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Re: Cloning

Postby makc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

plenty of other threads for you.

surely, if that guy who said he was thinking of soul as something that gives a piece of meat an ability to think, is saying that clones will be able to think just like their genetic prototypes then yes, I have to agree to that in terms of scientific discussion.

on the other hand, if you have to mention "soul" as something that co-exists with us, leaves the body when we die, etc, then 1 we're out of scientific realm, and 2 there is no logical obligation for clones to have it (which is the point I do not understand why dont you accept).

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Cloning

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

makc wrote:plenty of other threads for you.

No, there are plenty of other threads for you, and for the rest of this ridiculous circular discussion about souls.

Which, seeing as it's pretty much the only thing that's happened in this thread anyway, means I'ma go and lock it. If people want to talk about the technology of cloning or artificial wombs or whatever, they can start another thread for it.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)


Return to “Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests