Coilgun Launch Equation

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

PapaNachos

Coilgun Launch Equation

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

I'm working with a few people to develop a model for launching things using a solenoid. We've had some success, and have developed a force equation for a specific object and a specific coil. At the moment it outputs the force on the object at a given point in the coil so we can calculate how an object would travel through it.
We would like to develop a scalable equation that works with different sizes of coils and objects with the coil running at different currents.

Has anyone worked on something like this or worked with solenoids?

nilkemorya

Re: Coilgun Launch Equation

Postby nilkemorya » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

I once built a coil gun that utilized wall AC to fire small aluminium rings at the ceiling hard enough to dent it(10 foot ceiling). I admit that I never sat down and did the math beyond how many turns I would need to not fry my coil(after I fried the first one). I can try and field questions if you have them. Finding a specific force equation would depend pretty simply on the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field, as long as the object you are launching is fairly simple, it should just be cranking through the Maxwell's equations right?
Do you create things? Like science? Need advice on science? Why not check out www.scienceadviser.net!

twerpoid

Re: Coilgun Launch Equation

Postby twerpoid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Try Barry's coilgun site, which you can find from google.
If you can scrape up an IEEE explor account, there are a lot of articles on "electromagnetic launch"

Return to “Science”