Easy aproximation

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

dumbzebra

Easy aproximation

Postby dumbzebra » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Hey people,
so I posted a similar request a while ago, but this is slightly different:
I need methods to easily approximate solutions (e.g. zeros, areas etc.), just like newton´s method to get zeros by substituting a multiple polynom function ín an intervall with a linear function.

Second request: I´m still searching for general methods to get good approximated solutions, like the fermi-method, or systematic trial and error.
Please keep in mind that I write on school mathematics level, so don´t get too complicated.
Thanks in advance for all answers.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

gorcee

Re: Easy aproximation

Postby gorcee » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Since you're asking the most broad question possible, I'll point you to a place where you should be able to find all your answers:

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Comput ... 918&sr=8-1

If you want more specific answers, you have to be a lot more clear and specific in the questions you ask.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Hey people,
so I posted a similar request a while ago, but this is slightly different:
I need methods to easily approximate solutions (e.g. zeros, areas etc.), just like newton´s method to get zeros by substituting a multiple polynom function ín an intervall with a linear function.

What exactly is wrong with using, eg. Newton's method? The algorithm is pretty simple and works well the vast majority of the time.

dumbzebra wrote:Second request: I´m still searching for general methods to get good approximated solutions, like the fermi-method, or systematic trial and error.
Please keep in mind that I write on school mathematics level, so don´t get too complicated.
Thanks in advance for all answers.

You seem to already know some methods. What's wrong with those? I'm not sure what the difference is between your first and second question?. You need one for a quick approximation and one for a higher precision approximation?

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:06 am UTC

There is no catchall method.

Note that a group of methods each applied in certain cases is equivalent to a single more comprehensive method.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Sounds like you're looking for a background in numerical analysis.

Return to “Mathematics”