What's your random number?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

62 is the first uninteresting number.

*groan*
Last edited by Blatm on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Somnia wrote:I go with 22 or 23 as my random number, simply because everyone uses something with a seven and it bothers me in a strange way. And, why, yes, I do have a predetermined random number.

I use 22 and 23 because the latter's my favourite number and the former used to be. I liked 22 because I like the digit 2 and 22 had 2 2's (among other reasons). I then started encountering it a lot and it became a lot of people's favourites, so I shifted to 23. 23 was a good choice for me because it's similar in nature to me (I personify my numbers), plus it's prime, which is cool.

What a coincidence! 23 is my favorite number.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:37 am UTC

This would be another WorkingDaze comic that is humourously relevant to this thread....

Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake

Postby UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:47 am UTC

That's great. :P

Anyway, for some reason I usually use 19 or 92 (when speaking hyperbolically and such) or varying magnitudes thereof--19,000 is a particular favorite. When I'm actually working with numbers and need a "random" number, I usually use eight (my very favorite number) or 64 or 16,777,216 (8^8 ) or something else related to eight.
Silly things do cease to be silly when they are done by sensible people in an impudent manner. ~Jane Austen, Emma
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. ~Oscar Wilde

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:43 am UTC

From way back, but...

Darth Eru wrote:(*psst* "a" is not a number.)

No, but "A" is a quantity.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

EmersonienEra

Postby EmersonienEra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Hmm random numbers. 8, 56, and numbers ending in 2 like 32, 82, etc.

My favorite is 49 though. A perfect square composed of perfect squares, 4 and 9. Pretty awesomesauce.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

When required to choose random numbers repeatedly for trivial purposes, I have a habit of using the decimal digits of pi starting after the decimal point (ignoring those which take a value higher than the maximum required). For bases higher than 10, multiple digits at a time can be used.

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: What's your random number?

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:46 am UTC

Mine is 48, because it was the last two digits of my original phone number which survived many things. Unfortunately it was not active anymore due to my carelessness.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:10 am UTC

As this is necroed...

I have a personal affinity with some numbers (including some 'common' random numbers, already mentioned to others) which sways me away from using them, but I'm not too sure whether I'd gravitate towards other Strange Attractors in the phase-space of not-really-randomness.

There is a number I have used (not raw, but obfuscated further) that is quite large but that I have had memorised since... 1992, or maybe it was early '93. As I've also used it directly as a password-recovery answer on some other place, in a moment of weakness, I'm not going to reveal it fully. But it's 1##########0, all but the first and last digits obscured. (Note, UK area codes start with 0, before you suspect that, plus my home number at the time would have been 0########9, which is shorter, and even after PhONEday ('95) it was only one digit longer.)

But really (and this is mostly I revealed my number's terminators), I'm wondering how long until we get a significant enough number of 'random' numbers to then compare and (probably) contrast against Benford's Law...

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:17 am UTC

59 for me.

For a number of unrelated reasons--59 stellations of the icosahedron, Illinois Route 59 near my house, and a few other things.
It sort of snowballed from there.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:57 am UTC

The first number that came into my head on seeing the thread title was 6. I'm not sure whether that means anything significant.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:13 am UTC

Yeah, it's a really old joke at this point, but I still can't help but think of 4.

untitled

Postby untitled » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 am UTC

Don't make me pick, for me they are all just as random - as long as they are integers, of course! Even the even ones.

Return to “Mathematics”