AEA Maths Questions

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

SimonM

Re: AEA Maths Questions

Postby SimonM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

A bit late to jump into this but hey, thats what foras are for (Yay visiting Oxbridge, Camford and doing DofE gold)

Token's solution to the last part of 7 seems a bit wild for a AEA question I don't recall that being well known to A level students.

Would using that count against you if you didn't quote the formula?

Also, unanswering 29 still allows for a D (since 70/100 has been the D line before)
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Hmm, question 7 was the one of which I was able to answer least. I didn't know the theorms token mentioned. Unless you managed to answer these using some other method I think it's quite possible that you are required to know this sort of thing.
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

SimonM

Postby SimonM » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

You didn't need those theorems, they just cut down on time

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

-Bump,
I got a merit! How did you do SimonM?
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

DavCrav

Postby DavCrav » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Out of interest, Frimble, which College are you applying to?

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I originally applied to Worcester college, I got offered a place at St Catherine's college. Are you going to Oxford too?

saus

Postby saus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I'm a little late, but I was doing the problem on the first post of the first page and I came up with a different answer than you did. I ended up with An=1/2 exp(-2*pi*n) * (exp(-pi) + 1). Basically you had a 1/4 in your powers of e where I didn't, maybe with a negative sign different. If there was a difference in negative signs one of us probably just flipped one, but I can't tell if I just made some stupid mistake with the 1/4 problem. It seems like the only place it could come from is the interval we're integrating, for which I used 2pi*n to pi+2pi*n.

SimonM

Postby SimonM » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Well, results are in and I got a Distinciton. (I also got an S in STEP I)

I guess this would be the best place to post results so meh.

How did everyone else do? Make their offers?

@The guy who applied to Worcester, nice college isn't it

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

Congratulations Simon, that's very impressive, some years no-one gets distinction.

Yes, it is a nice college and I would have liked to study there. I'm pleased to have got a place at Oxford all though.

SimonM

Postby SimonM » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Someone gets a distinction every year. Infact, lots of people get distinctions every year.

But anyway, how did you do? Did you do well and make your offer.

Edit: Saw your merit. Congratulations! That is a great result.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:I'm pleased to have got a place at Oxford all though.

Good Lord, why? I'd be distraught.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Token wrote:
Frimble wrote:I'm pleased to have got a place at Oxford all though.

Good Lord, why? I'd be distraught.

Calls a voice from the yokel town of Cambridge.

SimonM wrote:Someone gets a distinction every year. Infact, lots of people get distinctions every year.

But anyway, how did you do? Did you do well and make your offer.

Edit: Saw your merit. Congratulations! That is a great result.

No, less than a decade ago, no-one in the country got a distinction, or so my physics teacher tells me.

Thanks, I didn't expect any better. As I said, so far as I know I’m only the third person to pass this paper from my college.

Saus: I'll check my working.

DavCrav

Postby DavCrav » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:I originally applied to Worcester college, I got offered a place at St Catherine's college. Are you going to Oxford too?

In a sense: from next year I am a fellow of Christ Church college. I finished my doctorate last year. In fact, I am typing this on a computer in the Maths Institute...

Token

Postby Token » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:Calls a voice from the yokel town of Cambridge.

You found out you had a place... what, two days ago now? You've never actually been there (in statu pupillari), and you think you can give me chat? When was the last time you cared about who won the Boat Race? Got bitter or smug over the latest university rankings? Trained with everything you had for the chance to beat another guy just because he was wearing the wrong shade of blue? It's not just talking big on the internet because you've got a bit of paper with some decent results on it. It's a fucking way of life. Come back when you're actually worth the smack talk.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

DavCrav

Postby DavCrav » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Token wrote:

You found out you had a place... what, two days ago now? You've never actually been there (in statu pupillari), and you think you can give me chat? When was the last time you cared about who won the Boat Race? Got bitter or smug over the latest university rankings? Trained with everything you had for the chance to beat another guy just because he was wearing the wrong shade of blue? It's not just talking big on the internet because you've got a bit of paper with some decent results on it. It's a fucking way of life. Come back when you're actually worth the smack talk.

OK, calm down a little bit, hmm? I hope you actually understand that most people from either university has any rivalry, it's only 18-2some people (who maybe haven't fully matured yet ;) ) who get so frustrated. Oh, and the boat race? Who gives a monkey's? It's mostly about the neanderthalic rowers and their penis extensions pretending like they're cock of the roost. University rankings are pointless as objective rankings between similar universities are impossible, etc.

(Of course, if that post was meant to be sarcastic, then I completely fell for it. I blame Caffreys.)

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:15 am UTC

Token wrote:

Sorry, I thought you wanted an argument. I tend to agree with DavCrav really; it's all very petty.

DavCrav wrote:In a sense: from next year I am a fellow of Christ Church college. I finished my doctorate last year. In fact, I am typing this on a computer in the Maths Institute...

Will you be lecturing or tutoring then, or are you 'just' doing research?

DavCrav

Postby DavCrav » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:Will you be lecturing or tutoring then, or are you 'just' doing research?

Well, I will be lecturing, but it's unlikely you'll be in my class, since it's graduates and above. I will also be tutoring, but not to St Cats, and probably only 3rd years anyway. There are a lot of lecturers in the department, and you won't see most of them. (Literally! Students can't get to our offices because we have a swipe card system!)

Token

Postby Token » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Eh, of course I'm not serious. Being petty is what makes it fun. Except the sport part - taking it seriously is what makes that fun.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

saus wrote:I'm a little late, but I was doing the problem on the first post of the first page and I came up with a different answer than you did. I ended up with An=1/2 exp(-2*pi*n) * (exp(-pi) + 1). Basically you had a 1/4 in your powers of e where I didn't, maybe with a negative sign different. If there was a difference in negative signs one of us probably just flipped one, but I can't tell if I just made some stupid mistake with the 1/4 problem. It seems like the only place it could come from is the interval we're integrating, for which I used 2pi*n to pi+2pi*n.

I've checked my result and I agree it is definitely wrong, but I'm not convinced your result is right either.
I got:

An=1/2*(e(2-2n)π+e(1-2n)π)=1/2*(e-2nπ)(e+eπ)

using the interval:

(2-2n)π and (1-2n)π (as the first area is A1 rather than A0)

Of course, I may well be wrong again...

Return to “Mathematics”