Can a surface be formed by the intersection?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

mathmari

Can a surface be formed by the intersection?

Postby mathmari » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

Hi! :)

I have question.. Can a surface be formed by the intersection of a paraboloid and a plane?

cyanyoshi

Re: Can a surface be formed by the intersection?

Postby cyanyoshi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 am UTC

Are you asking whether the intersection of a paraboloid (2-dimensional) and a plane (also 2-dimensional) can be another 2-dimensional surface? I guess that depends whether you consider a plane as a special case of a paraboloid. If not, then I am inclined to say no.

Non-degenerate paraboloids have non-zero curvature, unlike planes. Suppose that you could find a 2-dimensional region that a plane and a paraboloid have in common. You could then find the intrinsic curvature of this intersection. If this curvature is zero, then it could not be a finite 2-D chunk of the paraboloid, but if this curvature is non-zero, then it can't be part of the plane. Therefore by contradiction, the region of intersection must not be a surface.

Carmeister

Postby Carmeister » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:36 am UTC

This might be slightly unrelated, but it made me wonder... what is the intersection of a paraboloid and a plane in 3d euclidean space? Depending on the angle it could be a parabola or a circle... would something in between would give you something like an ellipse, but I don't think it would be an ellipse since that would be the intersection of a plane with a cone... but I could be wrong there.

Moole

Postby Moole » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 am UTC

Carmeister wrote:This might be slightly unrelated, but it made me wonder... what is the intersection of a paraboloid and a plane in 3d euclidean space? Depending on the angle it could be a parabola or a circle... would something in between would give you something like an ellipse, but I don't think it would be an ellipse since that would be the intersection of a plane with a cone... but I could be wrong there.

If you were to write out the equation for an arbitrary paraboloid, it would be a degree two polynomial in its three coordinates; in the coordinates of the plane, it would still be a degree two polynomial, meaning it would have to be a conic section (since the conic sections are exactly the curves of algebraic degree 2). Therefore it would, in fact, be an ellipse.
Mathematical hangover (n.): The feeling one gets in the morning when they realize that that short, elementary proof of the Riemann hypothesis that they came up with at midnight the night before is, in fact, nonsense.

mathmari

Postby mathmari » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

So the intesection of the paraboloid x2+y2-z=0 and the plane z=2 is a circle? So can it not be a surface?

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 am UTC

mathmari wrote:So the intesection of the paraboloid x2+y2-z=0 and the plane z=2 is a circle? So can it not be a surface?

Not unless you are so lax in you definition of paraboloid that you include planes as a kind of paraboloid.

But I should warn that whilst there are elliptic paraboloids, which when intersected with a plane yield an ellipse or a parabola, there are also hyperbolic paraboloids. These can yield a parabola, a line, two intersecting lines, or a hyperboloid when intersected with a plane, but not an ellipse.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm UTC

Pictures and equations of the two types of paraboloids jestingrabbit mentions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraboloid
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

Carmeister wrote:This might be slightly unrelated, but it made me wonder... what is the intersection of a paraboloid and a plane in 3d euclidean space? Depending on the angle it could be a parabola or a circle... would something in between would give you something like an ellipse, but I don't think it would be an ellipse since that would be the intersection of a plane with a cone... but I could be wrong there.

It would be egg-shaped!!
An ellipse with a larger diameter and a smaller one.

Return to “Mathematics”