Mornington Crescent

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Re: Mornington Crescent

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Well played, SlyReaper. I guess I have to go with the flow for now if I want my strategy to work.

Moorgate it is, taking all lanes near it in temporary parallel block for 2 turns and making St. John's Wood absolutely impassable.
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Ahem. I would like to point out that since I was at Moorgate to begin with, and what with slyreaper having brought water into play, I am immune to your blocks, even if only in the lateral sense. I must take advantage of this with a nicely placed Kentish town.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I take a whiffling frogman over the haddocks, and with a triumphant grolly, numble a toff-boing all over Mornington Crescent.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Classic Fungible Pincer.

Who let Felstaff in? Holy crap I haven't seen a pincer like that in a very long time. So long, in fact, that I had forgotten about pincers altogether. But after dusting off my copy of Peter Piper's Pickled Pincers with Pinash and Mornintgon Crescent written by the overly zealous and pompous Sir Walsh Herrington, of which there were only 93 printed copies (hardbacks included), I will unleash a devestating Grannysmith Apple and Loo Pincer on Camden Town.

That divides the regions up evenly amongst all players, it shuts down all transit via international and domestic routes, the cats are caged, the dogs are caged and that gives me the blacks and the reds. I'm out of shunts now, but that shouldn't matter too much. Flags are back to full mast and are changed to be wine and gold colors.

MC in 0.64

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

is that your opening move then?
Did you notice that Slyreaper had won?

if it is your opening move, that's pretty audacious of you. It leaves all sorts of train doors open for all sorts of skullduggery....
flags at full mast, that's typical of a pincer move, not much I can do about that.
the colouring works to my advantage, as I have wine, and gold tokens.
you've taken the blacks, and the reds, which only leaves green 0 and green 00. not much interest to me I'm afraid, as my trip Queens are looking for pair for a full house.

only a few moves I can see that really make sense, but I'll open up the board a bit with a triple Salko to Amersham.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

Woops, I missed that Sly's triumphant grolly. How silly of me.

Oh well, it makes for a hilarious opening move I guess. Not usually my style of play but, I may try it again in the future. I have to skip a turn, so still MC in 0.64.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Burly thropp and a tankish drop, carry down the willows. A gnarly wookar lurks ahead, so be sure to juggle pillows. Dollis Hill.

JonR

Postby JonR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 am UTC

CRACKERJACK!

Highbury and Islington

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

That's quite a gaping hole you've left there, lads. I'll just have to bring up the cross-purposes with me. Kensington. *whistles*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

A reverse slawling countdown, right after engaging in a fisticuffs with the neon muppets.

MC in 0.72

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

There's no such thing as 0.72 of a neutron. No charge, Hammersmith.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

JonR

Postby JonR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

all blue players change at Bond St for the Bakerloo line.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

I enter at purple, and claim the North fall line and above, setting all of the controlled signals to Green and destroying all impediments between tiles.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Hey look, from here we can see the CN Tower - Bloor - Yonge

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Gumper lumper and his froony jolls open a drully in the fenter. Bank.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

I'll take "spoony bard" for two, please. Swiss Cottage.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

I'll see your "spoony bard" for two, PBD, and raise it to four, AND I'll include a baker's loo and a pair of orange batons. Lets see how long you can hold Swiss Cottage with that :twisted:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Aha, but you left a lateral scuttle shunt opening over here on my left. I don't need to hold Swiss Cottage. Burnt Oak.
Last edited by podbaydoor on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

A louvre on the left to the left to the right upside down all around in the town, down and out? Darnit, how did I forget that.

Oh well. Swiss Cottage it is then.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Ha! Let's see how the rest of you brave lads do against the overlapping circles I'm running all around the board.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Come on chaps! We can't let a girl beat us here now can we? Put your thinking caps on and use those tokens.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

London Lions Love Lepers.
Loogabarooga.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

Spadina

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Whitechapel

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

Wait, we're playing with Double Jeopardy rules this round? When did that happen? Dollis Hill.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

As a new entrant to this round I call Thud, claim an Oppenheimer morality paradox and move to Finsbury Park. Victoria line is currently suspended following a passenger incident.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

Ah, but it doesn't cut off the Eastern board. Chalk Farm.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

In that case I'll pass the Ferrero Roche and alight at Aldgate East. Err, where is everyone and why are all the gates locked?

Can someone find the dried frog tablets for SlyReaper?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

We could all hallucinate a little sane around here. In any case, I'm closing the scuttle move, taking Monument and inversely re-straddling the Piccadilly Line.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

AJR

Postby AJR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

I'm still trying to work out how the Ferrero Roche rule works with the newly extended East London Line, but I think a quick hop to Hackney Central is in order...

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

nice move there.

Bethnal Green

which opens the door, and turns the spindle, and more purple tokens for me! hurrah!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Gentlemen [and women]; this is a very interesting game and rule-set, but I have to say, there have been some pretty amateur mistakes.

Playing Hackney Central after Monument, for instance, put all of zone 2 in spoon, leaving zone 1 wide open to invasion from zone 4. The incident on the Victoria line should have blocked all movement to the Circle Line, and caused a signal failure on the Picadilly Line. Attention, please, people! Especially when that scamp Jumble is locking Aldgate East without the least bit of your attention! [S]He is clearly hoping to trap [him/her]self in zone 1 and lock the rest of you out, meaning that once they leylines are centralised, they can easily make it to MC. Don't think I didn't see through your manoeuvre, it was the talk of the Hillyfields '08 convention, and I've been seeing copycats ever since!

Although this is far too late in the game for me to be able to make any significant plays, I am going to pass Go and move directly to London Bridge, which will at least stabilise the capacitator at a positive value, making it possible to remove the zone 2 spoon.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

I hope you're ready for the 2012 ruleset changes. With the extension of the East London Line, analysts predict that whoever takes Dulwich Hamlet, Denmark Hill or Peckham Rye will be able to win all too easily. So they're going to implement some serious nerfing (no blue cards, no whistle-stop chilters, and certainly no Uncle Gavins). Of course, the new handbook won't be in the shops until mid-2011, but it's just something to keep in mind (the gap!!!!).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Let's not worry about ruleset changes mid-game. I'm sure serious discussion can take place afterwards.

...which may not be that far away, because E_E missed the ablative case on the circle line caused by Aldgate East and London Bridge both being occupied, and more than one zone in spoon. Therefore, Highgate ought to put me at MC in 2.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

I've already got some cronies in the book stores, because I heard they're only printing 3,022 copies of the new rulebook. I'm prepared to buy at least 3 of them.

I can't believe theyr'e taking away the Uncle Gavins. When I heard that, I almost thought about retiring from tournament play. But as long as there's a reverse oscillating shunt allowed, I think I'll still continue to play.

Also, @ mr. elevator. No one likes a 20-20 visioner who's always looking hindways. What happened happened and what happens will happen and what won't might used to happen, will'n't mighten used to happenist. Capice?

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:29 am UTC

That's Ms. Elevator, thank-you kindly. Frankly I'm more upset about the blue cards, but so long as there are still optional rules for Community Chest cards, then I'm pretty much happy. I always preferred playing the older rulesets anyway, but a bit of variation is nice. And don't y'all go hogging all of the new books!

And podbaydoor, you are quite right that I missed that ablative, but you've got to admit, I was trying to make explicit a complete mess of a game. However, I'm not sure that it puts your MC rate up quite so high, because there's still a mis-alignment on zone 2, which is affecting the Nortern Line. I'd say you're at MC in 4, perhaps 3 if that signal failure sorts itself out. But otherwise, good play.

For the time being, I'm going to move to Cockfosters, which will activate the optional double-entendre clauses.

JonR

Postby JonR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

are you related to broken_elevator?

anyway, with cockfosters, you started a fowl play manouver (maneouvre? I never can spell that one) - and it'd be rude not to, so I'm going to say Canary Warf, for a double bird.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

I've already got my copy of the new sets.

Anyway, BoJo's party is hogging the kegs, and cutting budgets, so I can take Prague an have MC in 1
Weeks wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Fast and furious, eh? E_E, you've got something there, but I'd say that the misalignment actually works out in my favor if I retake Monument and cash in one of the purple tokens, thus raising bridges high again. MC in 2.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

JonR

Postby JonR » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

I'm not sure we can stop Whelan - even if I take out a schilling stopper, and consficate his tokens, and go to Ealing Broadway he's still got options!

Return to “Forum Games”