Meta-Poll

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

How many voters will pick the same option as you?

0-10%
5
6%
10-20%
12
14%
20-30%
24
28%
30-40%
9
11%
40-50%
6
7%
50-60%
7
8%
60-70%
3
4%
70-80%
3
4%
80-90%
3
4%
90-100%
13
15%
 
Total votes: 85

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Meta-Poll

Postby Quixotess » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I saw this in the Rinkworks archives. It's a thinking-user's forum game, and you can take it as seriously or as casually as you want.

Edit: To whoever you were: PWNED.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Robin S » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Is this really sufficiently different from this (and I think there was also another extremely similar poll) to merit its own thread?
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Quixotess » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Ack, really? Drat. I talked to a mod about where to put this and they didn't mention a recent thread.

Oh, well...if it wasn't in forum games I think it would matter but since it is...no biggie.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

User avatar
Azrael001
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 am UTC
Location: The Land of Make Believe.
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
Curses, I followed the logic of the last thread, (100% is what everyone should pick) but they didn't do it.
23111

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Rodan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Huzzah! I am correct. (Even though the thread is a clone (shit, I just got a Weird Al Song in my head (funny, I was just reading a Y: The Last Man issue that concerned clones (huzzah, parenthesis stack!)))).

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby ++$_ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:07 am UTC

I am not correct. Yet.

ducknerd
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 pm UTC
Location: Alaska. No, seriously.
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby ducknerd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 am UTC

I am incorrect. Curse the cooperative! Random selection ftw! Everyone do it! ....Except me!
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Quixotess » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:52 am UTC

ducknerd wrote:I am incorrect. Curse the cooperative! Random selection ftw! Everyone do it! ....Except me!


Wait, wait. If everyone did random selection, then shouldn't there be about 10% for each option? Which means you would have chosen the first option, and there is only one vote for the first option so far and it's correct? Aren't you correct?

Well, I'm correct anyway, and that's what really matters.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yay, 10-20%. I am winning! for now...
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
Chrismclegless
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Sigma 957
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Chrismclegless » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Heh, I did the same as Azrael, assuming people had read the previous thread, and would follow the logic. BAD idea.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Rodan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Heh, 0-10% and winning...

apeman5291
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby apeman5291 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

I'm right!!
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Actaeus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

I win!
So far, everyone below 30% is win.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby VectorZero » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

20-30%

Currently correct. Just.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Vanguard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

My vote was accurate to the option.
0-10%.
Image

apeman5291
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:19 am UTC
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby apeman5291 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

About half of us are winners and the other half are losers! I'm on the winning side with 10%-20%
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Actaeus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

49% are winning, but 62% of those (30% of total) are on the brink of Fail.
I'm part of the secure 19%.

User avatar
Glenn Magus Harvey
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Darnit! I should have realized that there were ten options and then picked 0-10% based on the fact that most people probably wouldn't bother to reason through this!

User avatar
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:27 am UTC
Location: Beyond reason, then take a left
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Number3Pencils » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeeehk, I was almost the one to spoil our little 20-30% bracket... I think it'll hold one more person.
Image
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Actaeus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 am UTC

Nope, one more for 20-30% will put up to 31%.

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Rodan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Okay, who else picked The top choice? I liked being alone...

User avatar
Mother Superior
Better than tea
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Oh no, I might have ruined 20-30% just now :(
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

User avatar
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:27 am UTC
Location: Beyond reason, then take a left
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Number3Pencils » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:Nope, one more for 20-30% will put up to 31%.

That's what I meant to say. I've no clue how I managed to say what I did instead.
Image
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Actaeus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Erk. We're running out of 10-20s, down to 11%!
And the 20-30s are up to 32. pwn'd.

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

...why didn't EVERYBODY choose 100%?

That way if EVERYBODY had picked it, EVERYBODY would have won.

...I hate you all so much...
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
Malbert
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Malbert » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:15 am UTC

I figured there would be a left shifted bell curve with a spike at the 100% area. If there is a completely even skew, the lowest option is best. However, because of the increase in popularity of the lower choices, the second choice (10-20) seemed more likely to be correct to me. As of now, it is. (although so is 0-10)

The superrational choice of 100% doesn't work. It is easy to show this. If everyone picks the 100% option, they all win. However, that way 0% will have picked the 0-10% option. If somebody then picks it, they will become the only winner. Therefore, you get more of the win to yourself if you pick the lower options. However, once people realize this, too many pick that option, inflating it to the point that it is not win, and less pick 100%, putting more voters into the other bracket. That way, to become win, you must not take the superrational choice (100) or the counter-superrational (0-10) choice to be the only correct choices. With this in mind, you just make a guess at the skewing like I did, and receive win.

noobs
The tasty baconplague: best plague ever.

User avatar
Mother Superior
Better than tea
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Hehe, back on track for the 20-30% crowd.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby 4=5 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:Nope, one more for 20-30% will put up to 31%.

and damn that was me

User avatar
Blubb3r3ng3l
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:26 am UTC

and 20-30 percent seems to be doing well!
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Rodan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 am UTC

uh... no...
(wait, was that sarcasm? I can't tell.)

User avatar
Blubb3r3ng3l
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Rodan wrote:uh... no...
(wait, was that sarcasm? I can't tell.)

nah not sarcasm


it's the closest to correct

*edit* and that isn't even CLOSE to correct, what I wrote up there.

Well, I think it's time for a nap. Blubb3r3ng3l is clearly very very very very very very very sleep.

*double-edit* erm... sleepy. I am sleepy.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Vanguard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:42 am UTC

I'm still correct.

This is an accomplishment to me somehow...
Image

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Rodan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:44 am UTC

That's because it is an accomplishment.
*hi-five!*

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Vanguard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

High-phave indeed!
Image

User avatar
Freddino18
[Title Not Found]
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 pm UTC
Location: Disappeared after investigating titles

Re: Meta-Poll

Postby Freddino18 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

bUMP
Image
Blenders!
GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Shriekin' Criminal: Wu Tang, Voodoo Foote: pirate, Amos Quirell: wizard, Sun-Ray Fool: blues, Thomaz Hettkamp: Nazi, farty monkey snatcher, phire AvAtAr: 1337 h4x0r


Return to “Forum Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests