Album Cover'd!

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Album Cover'd!

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 am UTC

No choosing, you have to do the cover with what you get on first try.

I don't think it has to works thumbnail, actually, it'll always work, because, if a thumbnail for an album doesn't work because it's unclear, people are likely to click it to see the full picture, and that's what thumbnails are for.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:56 am UTC

Fine. I really didn't like the train image, but, that diagonal gave me some geometry to work with, so I guess it was a blessing rather than a curse. :)

Vytron wrote:I don't think it has to works thumbnail, actually, it'll always work, because, if a thumbnail for an album doesn't work because it's unclear, people are likely to click it to see the full picture
This isn't material to the game, as you say we can enlarge and all that, and we should. But, do people that shop online make their first impression via the thumbnail? (I don't shop online...) Like, the way that a website in no longer guaranteed to be viewed at 1024x768. A lot of visitors are going to be mobile, using a tiny screen.

I'm mostly arguing for myself. 8-) So, if I look at an album and it looks like a weird closet monster, but then I enlarge and find out it's actually a couple at a diner table... Oh yeah, besides, I listen to music on my little music player and there is no real full size view, therefore the thumbnail size is really important to me. As I said, we can't do nothing about the image part, but we can for the text.

To be clear, while I noticed the smallness of text's issue with being in a smaller format, I've also liked some of those choices. Not criticizing anyone here.

*tells self to stop thinking*

*thinks about that*

(Yes, this effort would be better spend on a post in Music...)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

azule wrote:But, do people that shop online make their first impression via the thumbnail? (I don't shop online...) Like, the way that a website in no longer guaranteed to be viewed at 1024x768. A lot of visitors are going to be mobile, using a tiny screen.

I don't think anybody bases any decision on their design based on how the thing is going to look when thumnailed. The people on the small mobile screen are expected to zoom in the picture to see its details in full, so the same concepts apply to enlarging a thumbnail in a bigger screen (both enlarge it and one sees it full while the other moves around to see it full, but both see them at the same resolution - "resolution", not "size". I bet some people with small mobiles are still seeing things in a bigger resolution than my 800x600 monitor.)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

Late 1990s Punk Revival. The one full album by the group, whose gimmick of piping Orff Schulwerk instruments through heavy effects processing became samey about halfway into the disc.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

Your picture doesn't appear to work, Znirk. Anyway, I'll try another of these...

Artist: KAL Legian
Album: Truth is a Revolutionary Act
Cover: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33486695@N06/15830541310/

Why are mine ending up so political...?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

Nice random matchup.

Znirk's image is not found for me, either.

Vytron wrote:I don't think anybody bases any decision on their design based on how the thing is going to look when thumnailed.
Not decision, but, first impression. Like, in a sea of thumbnails, will that one album cover stand out, then they enlarge, or will they move on to another instead? Do you see? It's an advertising principal; to catch the consumer's eye before they'll even consider the product.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:04 am UTC

I hold that on a series of pictures, the ones that will stand out will stand out, no matter their size.

And I can see Znirk's pic just fine, have you tried right-click view?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:43 am UTC

We've reached an impasse. ;) :D

I have tried right click and ctrl+F5, now, still nothing (404). I couldn't do that before as I was on mobile.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 am UTC

I'll take your "impasse" as giving up the argument. *Celebrates victory*

And, what I read between the lines is, I should do something so you can see the cover, here's what I see:

Znirk wrote:Image
Late 1990s Punk Revival. The one full album by the group, whose gimmick of piping Orff Schulwerk instruments through heavy effects processing became samey about halfway into the disc.

R
Spoiler:
wtc.png

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:32 am UTC

Well, crud, that's why we all need to caption our albums. For the record, it says
Artist: Egyptian Parliamentary Election, 1995
Album: the world to come
image: two boys, mouths duct taped and bound with christmas lights.

And what a world to come, indeed.

Vytron wrote:I'll take your "impasse" as giving up the argument. *Celebrates victory*
*Looooooong face* I thought it was a friendly discussion but, but, but... *_______*

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 am UTC

Friendly discussion? FRIENDLY DISCUSSION???

You haven't seen my discussions with Adnapemit, have you? The whole point of those discussions with her were to defeat her in those discussions! Otherwise I'd go and discuss stuff with random people on other parts of the forum. If it happens on Forum Games then it's not friendly, ON YOUR FACE.

Also:

I'm going to edit an album in all these posts without album that I'm making

(in case people were getting bothered by these empty post, I'll make them on-topic later)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:26 am UTC

You should thumbnail them to new posts.

I'm not going to edit my posts. Maybe the thumbnail idea, if I can get to another.

My first sentence is part ribbing, part reality.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Okay, so now I'll be making two albums per session, one for the last post, and one edited on a previous post to make it on-topic.

Also, I'll be following a personal rule from now on, because the quotes that give the names of the albums tend to get repetitive:

-If the last words of the last quote in Random Quote have already been used for an album, link to the pic and use the previous words.

Should work nicely as YOU will get to see more albums (one not made by me), anyway.

So I got:

Someone or something else. Artist: Tolnaftate (in feuilleton)

Skipping...

Album: They tackle it by denouncing
Artist: Andaman Club
anda.png

(Click for larger)

And a new unseen album has been edited on this post!

(But you don't need to check, here it is, spoiled)
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:I got...

Really? I got the same quote I just did! At the end of this thread, while time traveling...

So here's again Someone or something else. Artist: Tolnaftate. They tackle it by denouncing (by me), and I'll be using:

Album: If the job is forced on them.
Artist: Acrobasis Lutulentella

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

VGAA has an astounding album on their hands. Victoria, on vocals, Gertrude on drums, Abigail on keytar, and Allison on bass, have crafted a soundscape that is evocative of the energetic sound of the 80's and the serene gravitas of an orchestral score. Victoria carves out her own nitch in the world of female pop singers. "scatter thorns" is divided into two thematic sections: "scatter thorns" with it's messy haired, just out of bed arrangements; and "don't go barefoot", with it's clean-lined focus on setting up moods and then methodically tearing them down.

Credits and attachment:
Spoiler:
scatter_thorn_by_vgaa.jpg
Artist: Victoria GAA
Title: scatter thorns, don't go barefoot
Image: A foggy and murky view of a building surrounded by trees.

Quote from an Italian proverb,
image from Simon Cowburn. The image has been enhanced for your enjoyment.

(Ugh, that image... I had to "shop" it. I'm not sure it's better enough.)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:57 pm UTC

I'd like to propose a change or two to the game. (BTW, can you explain your personal rule, Vytron. Use what previous words?)

I'm wondering if the copyrighted images that might come up on a random pick on flickr should be used by us. Can we find a similar procedure for getting a random image but with open use licenses?

My second change would be an addition. On the random Wikipedia page, there might be some images. I was thinking it might be cool to have the option to integrate one of those images into the flickr (or other) main image. I was thinking, since we're doing bands or people, that if the image was of a person then we could use it. Probably just for people.

So, would these changes be okay, or should I start another thread?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

azule wrote:(BTW, can you explain your personal rule, Vytron. Use what previous words?)

Example, I get:

If you scatter thorns, don't go barefoot.

You already did "scatter thorns, don't go barefoot", so I could use the previous words "If you" for an album. Or if someone already used "if you", I'd jump to a previous quote.

azule wrote:I'm wondering if the copyrighted images that might come up on a random pick on flickr should be used by us. Can we find a similar procedure for getting a random image but with open use licenses?

As an anti-copyright activist I say they fall under the safe harbor for parody/satirical reasons under the law and would pass as "fair use" on a trial, unless you started selling them.

azule wrote:My second change would be an addition. On the random Wikipedia page, there might be some images. I was thinking it might be cool to have the option to integrate one of those images into the flickr (or other) main image. I was thinking, since we're doing bands or people, that if the image was of a person then we could use it.

You can do anything you want to the thing as long as you use the three things that you got, so being explicitly told you can do something doesn't seem necessary.

azule wrote:So, would these changes be okay, or should I start another thread?

I don't see any need to change the rules, and no need for a new thread, but if you feel uncomfortable playing in this one and want to be able to change the rules on a new one (a successor thread, happens all the time), go ahead.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:10 am UTC

Vytron wrote:I could use the previous words
Oh. From the same quote if it were redundant. Like an EOF rule. Sounds good. :)

I am comfortable :P I just didn't want to take over someone else's game. Sometimes listed rules mean all other things are unallowed.

Vytron wrote:As an anti-copyright activist I say they fall under the safe harbor for parody/satirical reasons under the law and would pass as "fair use" on a trial, unless you started selling them.
I am, too, btw. (Believer more than activist, though) And I know about that, just thinking about the friendly aspect of respecting their anti-copy wishes. Mostly it was because I removed the watermark on one (cuz otherwise it would feel ugly to me (and "no, that's not the title....")). How about, my personal rule (that others can also follow) is that I'll get a redo if I land on a watermarked image. *moves on with life*

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:01 am UTC

What do you mean, "redo"? Like, clicking refresh and getting a new one? If that's the case, I'd agree it'd be a different game worthy of a new thread where one can get a "redo" if they don't like the image they get for some reason, such as it being watermarked.

Also, copyright is fine with attribution, giving full credit more than suffices, copyright only exists so YOU don't claim you made these pictures (i.e. you didn't take the photos or drew them or composed them) but nobody in the thread is claiming that (and everyone knows they're coming from Flickr), so removing watermarks from them is fine.

<Album edited here later>

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am UTC

If using another source is fine, so is pressing refresh another time.

This isn't just any excuse (that's just how I made it sound), it's one based on the artist going one extra step to inform us their work is copyrighted.

So, do you want to know if I skip, or what you don't know won't hurt you (or the game), Vytron?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

azule wrote:This isn't just any excuse (that's just how I made it sound), it's one based on the artist going one extra step to inform us their work is copyrighted.

All work is copyrighted automatically, so, stating it openly, or putting watermarks on pictures, does effectively nothing.

azule wrote:So, do you want to know if I skip, or what you don't know won't hurt you (or the game), Vytron?

Skipping must be avoided altogether unless there's a good reason to skip, such as someone already using the picture you just got, or the artist you just got, or a quote you just got, lest you end making another version of the same album someone else already did, or two versions of the same album you already did (I, in fact, got "Something or something else" as album title two times in a row).

Skipping because of watermarks is weak because if we allow that then we have to allow people skipping the Artist they get if they don't like it, skipping quotes if they don't like it, and skipping pictures if they don't like it, which goes against the nature of the game. The reason for their dislike doesn't matter.

But that'd be fine on a new game on a new thread with different rules.

<Album edited here later>

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:52 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:All work is copyrighted automatically, so, stating it openly, or putting watermarks on pictures, does effectively nothing.
All my work is as well, but I don't want to discourage people from sharing or integrating my works into theirs. Adding a watermark or copyright notice does that. It's a friendly, and maybe ignorable, cease and desist order. If they are that worried about it maybe we should respect that.

No one has to agree with me if y'all don't mind it like I do.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 am UTC

I'd mind if you started skipping watermarked pictures, I'd then feel the right to just skip pictures I don't like, because if you're doing it, then it's something fine to do.

People should be encouraged to share their work, and to share it correctly, which is without watermarks, which includes allowing other people to remove your watermark.

My stance: Share it well, or don't share it at all. Yeah, if people only care about credit they may as well keep their content to themselves, instead of polluting Flickr's random rotations with watermarks.

Watermarks are hostile.

(I could go on an on. For instance, when someone takes a photo of a plant, what gives them the right to watermark the photo? Did they make the plant? Did they ask for permission to copyright it? Who is the owner of the plant anyway? If they have the right to take a photo of the plant and share it on the internet, I have the right to use that photo under fair use of copyright law in a game like this.)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:51 am UTC

This is good discussion on copyright and fair use. Let's continue in PM or in an appropriate thread.

Sorry y'all.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

I'm announcing that I'm quitting this game due to my differences with azule. Thanks everyone for the good times.

I'll edit the albums on my posts, as promised.

Edit - Game version link
Last edited by Vytron on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:00 am UTC

Vytron wrote:I'm announcing that I'm quitting this game due to my differences with azule. Thanks everyone for the good times.
Don't be so silly. Please stay. This can be resolved by either being okay with each other's changes to the game, or either of us making our own. In the mean time, stay, as I haven't done as I proposed. Maybe you haven't either?

Good luck on Vytron's new thread. Silly, molpy.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:06 am UTC

Sorry you guys had a disagreement. I guess I don't really get the point of Vytron's new thread, so I'm sticking with this one for now. I just threw a lil' something together:

Allow David Mwaniki Ngugi to introduce you to the unique and interesting wonders of Kenyan surf rock. Mixing elements of the popular western genre with aspects of his own native Kenyan culture, Ngugi crafts a one-of-a-kind album and a one-of-a-kind musical sound. The songs are loosely focused around a carefree young woman who spends her days at the beach; the album title "what she thought didn't amount to much" is not intended to reflect negatively on her, but rather is meant to indicate peace and easy-living lifestyle associated with surfing and beaches.

Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cb-beltz/ ... otostream/

r
Spoiler:
what she thought didn't amount to much.jpg

((p.s. surf rock ftw))
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Woot, I finally got it looking somewhat agreeable. Tilting the artist name to match the angle of the horizon really helped integrate the words into the image. Having the hands go in front gave it a more three dimensional feel, also like some magazines. The simple text of the title makes it not seem too pompous.

Spoiler:
Credits:
Confucius, Sverre M. Fjelstad, and Natalie Wilson.

turn_inwards_by_smf.jpg
Artist: Sverre M. Fjelstad
Title: Turn Inwards and Examine Ourselves
Image: Two girls in beachwear near a shiny body of water.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:07 am UTC

Labin: a small group of Croatians who named their band after their birth town, have gotten together for one last album; Violence and Committee Meetings.
Attachments
16073401519_b5fe6e12bf_m.jpg
16073401519_b5fe6e12bf_m.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 6887 times
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 am UTC

Links for the above poster:
Art
and since I was on a roll, the Wikipedia page
P.S. Croatia is a badass looking country. Looks like it's about to eat you.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:05 pm UTC

I saw a similar ruleset to the original rules for this thread posted somewhere else and decided to try my hand at it again. The only rule difference is how you get the quote for the album name (the one linked on this thread seems to be dead anyway).

any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:53 pm UTC

album1.png
album1.png (84.94 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
good luck have fun

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:I saw a similar ruleset to the original rules for this thread posted somewhere else and decided to try my hand at it again. The only rule difference is how you get the quote for the album name (the one linked on this thread seems to be dead anyway).

Yeah, the original quote link doesn't work for me as well, so I'm gonna post the reddit-rules here:
  1. Go to Wikipedia and click "Random Article". The title of that article is your band name.
  2. Go to Wikiquote and click "Random Article". Pick any part of the last quote as your album title.
  3. Go to Flickr's "Last 7 Days" page. The 5th image is your album art.
  4. Compile an album cover using all the selected information with the image processor of your choice.

What can I say except you're welcome.
Oh, and apparently "The owner has disabled downloading of their photos", but you can't stop a h4x0r like me. Sorry.
Pakistani ethno jazz band Jubho Lagoon puts a new spin on traditional blues melodies on their new album, I'd never run Boston. While noticeably mellower than their earlier releases, the album is another fine display of the band's musical skill and unique instrumentation.
Jubho_Lagoon.jpg

Wiki,Quote,Image

I can't recall what rules I used to make this one or any of the sources, but it turned out so well I can't keep it to myself:
Spoiler:
KLH_company_jobb.jpg
It's even better if you know where I live and how much I like trains *gets hit by train*
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:08 pm UTC

any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:29 pm UTC

album2.png
album2.png (76.48 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
good luck have fun

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:06 am UTC

Eleocharis Equisetoides is an indie rock band from Canada. Their first, self-released album has a number of catchy songs, but the sound editing is a bit rough and the album lacks a consistent tone. Nevertheless their concerts are worth attending (the Up Is Down tour will visit a couple cities along the East Coast) and we look forward to their future releases.
eleocharis_euqisestoides.jpg
I like how you can usually pick words to match the image in some way.

Wiki,Quote,Image

This game is quite fun and I can even pretend that practicing image manipulation isn't just goofing around.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:05 pm UTC

album3.png
album3.png (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
good luck have fun

Marki

Postby Marki » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:30 pm UTC

Attachments
relive.png
I like big big big big big numbers.

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:16 am UTC

album4.png
album4.png (61.26 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
good luck have fun

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:40 pm UTC

Took me way too long to sort out that reflected light pole thing, and it still doesn't look right...

fakealbumcovers003.png

any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:15 am UTC

album5.png
album5.png (65.95 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
good luck have fun

Return to “Forum Games”