Language Nomic

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

sje46

Language Nomic

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:03 am UTC

We take the language we're speaking now (English) and propose to change it in various ways. You can change anything relating to vocabulary, syntax, writing system, and so on. Just as long as you can still write it with text, it's acceptable Whenever a proposal gets 3 votes, it becomes adopted as part of our language, effective immediately. You can also abolish a rule as well, including ones in standard english. When proposing a change, you can quote an example of text. When a rule becomes a rule, it'll be numbered. You can submit subrules which will be numbered, say, 3.2.5. The ruleset (or at least the official ruleset) is to be written in standard english, but propose rules in the constructed language.
The kicker is you must speak in our language. If you don't, then what you say would be complete gibberish to us and it won't get adopted. Feel free to debate and ask for clarifications of rules/sub-rules. Not all posts need to suggest a rule.
Spoiler:
Advice: try to make it a well-functioning, even if very silly, language. Let's try to avoid "Proposal: "the" is now "supercalifragiliciousexpialidicious". Read up on linguistics, and try to understand what happens what features are gained to make up for when others are lost.

----------------
Proposal: All prepositions will become postpositions.
James Joyce, Ulysses wrote:“Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.”

becomes
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came the stairhead from, bearing a bowl lather of which on a mirror and a razor lay crossed.

Spoiler:
I, or someone else I appoint, reserve the right to change the game rules if something isn't working, e.g. change it from 3 votes to 5
Last edited by sje46 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

12obin

Re: Language Nomic

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 am UTC

I'm confused. You said that rules will be in stand English, but then you seemed to say that rules should be proposed in the new language?
Robin, she.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:23 am UTC

[Double post]
Last edited by 12obin on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robin, she.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:46 am UTC

Make proposals in the constructed language. May be translated to standard english for the official ruleset, so we all have a standard we can all agree on that won't be corrupted by future rules (for example, a rule that says all "nots" turn into affirmatives, would definitely create a big problem). But yes, all discussion here should be in the constructed language, or in a proposed revision to the constructed language.

Thanks, and I edited the OP. Now what's your vote and/or proposal? :P
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 am UTC

I agree with proposal 1.

Proposal 2: Transitive verbs end with the letter 'o', and intransitive verbs with the letter 'i'. This replaces the last letter if the verb formerly ended with a vowel, or is appended to it if the verb ended with a consonant.

sje46 wrote:We take the language we're speaking now (English) and propose to change it in various ways

becomes
We tako the language we're speakoing now (English), and proposi to chango it in various ways

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 am UTC

I vote against the first proposal purely because I find it aesthetically displeasing.

One more clarification: does a proposal count as one vote? I.e. a rule requires a proposal plus two more votes?

Proposal: Abolish the letter "c", replasing it with "s" or "k" as is phonetikally appropriate. "ch" will be replased by "tsh" when phonetikally appropriate.
Robin, she.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 am UTC

I second sje's proposal, because postpositions are cool. Also, let's be Russian and/or Roman:

Proposal: All articles (a, an, the) will be eliminated.

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities wrote:It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way…

becomes

It was best of times, it was worst of times, it was age of wisdom, it was age of foolishness, it was epoch of belief, it was epoch of incredulity, it was season of Light, it was season of Darkness, it was spring of hope, it was winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct other way…
Exit the vampires' castle.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:01 am UTC

Proposal 2: Transitive verbs end with the letter 'o', and intransitive verbs with the letter 'i'. This replaces the last letter if the verb formerly ended with a vowel, or is appended to it if the verb ended with a consonant.

Aye.

Proposal 3 (abolishment of c): Aye.

Proposal 4 (no articles): Aye

EDIT: A proposal counts a vote as itself for. Rule one is established. You can always propose abolish to it, if you like. If you're unsure if a word or usage counts a preposition as, wiktionary is a useful source. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/as#English

Rule 1: All prepositions are now postpositions.
Last edited by sje46 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:03 am UTC

I agree with proposal 2. (Proposal 2 passes?)
I agree with Lazar's proposal regarding articles.
Robin, she.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 am UTC

I agrei proposal 3 with. It passies.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:13 am UTC

Rules 2 3 and have have been passedo.

Rule 2: Transitive verbs endi letter 'o' with, and intransitive verbs letter 'i' with. This replaseso last letter if verb formerly endedo vowel with, or is appendedo it to if verb endedo konsonant with

Rule 3: Abolish letter "c", replasingo it with "s" or "k" as is phonetikally appropriate. "ch" will be replasedo by "tsh" when phonetikally appropriate.

Rule 4: All artikles (a, an, the) will be eliminatedo.

Interpretation: rule 2 always putso the -o -i suffix end at, all verb forms in (-ing, -s, -ed, ets (et setera)). Is this the right interpretation? Perhaps subrule is order in.
Interpretation: rule 3 applieso loan words to. Is this korrect?

EDIT: more konserns: Does rule 2 applyi to linking verbs/"to be", like "am, are, is" with? How about auxiliary verbs to?

Proposal 2.1: Does not apply linking verbs to or auxiiary verbs.
Proposal 3.1: Does not apply foreign loan words to.
Last edited by sje46 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 am UTC

Proposal: amendment Rule 2 of: Rule 2 is applioed root morpheme verb of to.

Standard English: I walked the dog

Kurrent: I walkedo dog.

Proposed: I walkoed dog.

In kase irregular verbs of, suffix goies end at.

Kurrent and proposed: I wenti park to.
Last edited by 12obin on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Robin, she.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 am UTC

I agrei 12obin's most recent proposal with.

Proposal: Rule 2.1: This does not appli auxillary verbs to.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 am UTC

I do not understando. What is this strange karakter you uso? Please rewrito properly.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:29 am UTC

I agrei 12obin's most resent proposal with.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:29 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I do not understando. What is this strange karakter you uso? Please rewrito properly.

Wasi progress in.
Robin, she.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 am UTC

I havo a proposal relatingi Rule 3 to – perhaps we kan kallo it rule 3a?

Proposal 3a: Abolisho the digraph "qu", replasingo it "kw" with, and the letter "x", replasingo it "ks" or "gz" with where appropriate.

I also proposo a klarifikation rule 2 to:

Proposal 2a: Auxiliary, modal and linking verbs, "would/could/should", "might", forms of "be", "have [verb]", "can [verb]", "do [verb]", etc. like, are not modifiedo this rule by.

And a further request klarifikation for: Does a negative vote kounti negative one vote as, or are only affirmative votes kountedo?

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:35 am UTC

[UPDATING RULES--PROGRESS IN]

Aye 2.a, 2.b, 2.d on. Amendments 2.a.2.b., 2.d. passed.

Aye proposal 3a on.

Rule 2: Transitive verbs endi letter 'o' with, and intransitive verbs letter 'i' with. This replaseso last letter if verb formerly endedo vowel with, or is appendedo it to if verb endedo konsonant with

2.a. Rule 2 applioed root morpheme verb of to.
2.b. In kase irregular verbs of, suffix goies end at.
2.d. Auxiliary, modal and linking verbs, "would/could/should", "might", forms of "be", "have [verb]", "can [verb]", "do [verb]", etc. like, are not modifiedo this rule by.

Spoiler:
Rule 1: All prepositions are now postpositions
Rule 2: Transitive verbs end with the letter 'o', and intransitive verbs with the letter 'i'. This replaces the last letter if the verb formerly ended with a vowel, or is appended to it if the verb ended with a consonant.
2.a. The suffix is applied to the root morpheme.
2.b. In case of irregular verbs, suffix goes at the end.
2.d. Auxiliary, modal and linking verbs, "would/could/should", "might", forms of "be", "have [verb]", "can [verb]", "do [verb]", etc. are not modified by this rule.
Rule 3: Abolish letter "c", replacing it with "s" or "k" as is phonetically appropriate. "ch" will be replaced by "tsh" when phonetically appropriate.
Rule 4: All articles (a, an, the) will be eliminated.
Last edited by sje46 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 am UTC

I agrei 2a (akkording Lazar to) with.
I aksepto idea 3a of, but thinki it should bi separate rule, not sub-rule.

Regard to with loan words, I havi no strong opinion, but original intent was to include loan words rule in.
Robin, she.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:56 am UTC

I personally do not wanto negative votes.
I am goiing bed to soon. I thinko this language should evolvi naturally and therefore be easy understando--game, not "tshallenge". As sutsh I believo there should be fewer strives huge tshanges for, but simplifikation for, least at now. More subrules exeptions with would be kool. And vokabulary! New words! Feel free update to rule-set as I sleep; I will tshek morning in. Maybe try becomo to more naturalistik speaking at this language with. Translate things! Tsheers.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 am UTC

I agrei, no negative votes. Rules can be abolishoed new rules by, akkording OP to.

Anyway, goodnight.
Robin, she.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:09 am UTC

Proposal 5: All attributes will be puti nouns they applo to in front of, separatied exklamation mark by. Unnesessary words lefti over this after are removedi.

Example:
She sawo sunset that was beautiful.

She sawo beautiful!sunset.

Boy kissoed girl brases with.

bekomes, dependiing on original intention:

Brases!boy kissoed girl.

or

Boy kissoed brases!girl.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 am UTC

Proposal 6: Any verb, adverb, or adjektive kan tako prefix "un" meaniing "not". Noti that this does not mako it opposite. Unkold just meanos "not kold". Something unkold might bi room temperature or it might bi boiling hot. Something unblak kould bi any kolor exsept blak.
This does not replaso any feature Standard English of. It is just bonus feature.
Robin, she.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:01 am UTC

I agreo Proposal 5 with. It simplifioes grammar. I agreo also Proposal 3a and Proposal 6 with. 3a passies.

Proposal 7. all instanses of vowels pronounsoed as shwa sound shall be replasoed with "ë" phonetikally appropriate plase in.

Egzamples: "butter">"buttër", "kattle">"kattël", "wearable">"wearëble". "Pëjamës", "refërendëm", "anëreksik".
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 am UTC

Any partikular reason to uso ë and not ə?
Robin, she.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 am UTC

"ë" is easier to typi. But përhaps eithër kould be usid. I am unopposoed to using "ə" if others want to.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 am UTC

Fair enough. I ami usually aksessing web smartphone with, and typing either karakter is ekwally easy, but I seo how it would bi different komputer on.
Robin, she.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 am UTC

I agreo proposal 6 with, and disagreo proposal 7 with. Proposal 6 passoes.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

Proposal 8: Word 'we' is now distinguishoed five kases in:
We = you (singular) and I
Weh = you (plural) and I
Wa = others and I
Wo = others, you (singular) and I
Woh = others, you (plural) and I

Examples:
We should drinko koffee together.

What do weh wanto? Pizza! When do weh wanto it? Now!

Wa thinki you undo belongi here.

Wo kould desidi everybody for to go to beach.

Woh kould gi to beach.
Last edited by Lawrencelot on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm UTC

I agrei Proposal 7 with.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

I supporto Proposal 8. (In interest avoidoing homophony of, I would pronounso them [wiː] [weɪ] [wɑː] [wuː] [woʊ], "wo" being analagous "do" or "to" to.)

12obin

Postby 12obin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

I supporto Proposal 8. It passies.

Should there bi 8.1 regardiing "us"?

Anyway...

Tsharles Dikkens wrote:It wasi best times of, it wasi worst times of, it wasi age wisdom of, it wasi age foolishness of, it was epokh belief of, it was epokh inkredulity of, it was season Light of, it was season Darkness of, it was spring hope of, it was winter despair of, wa hado everything us before, wa hado nothing us before, wa were all goiing direkt Heaven to, wa were all goiing direkt other way…

Robin, she.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

12obin wrote:Should there bi 8.1 regardiing "us"?

Good idea!

And I aksidentally wroto 'four kases' instead of 'five kases', so I editoed this.

Proposal 8.1: Word 'us' is replasoed we/weh/wa/wo/woh +s by. Example: Some fora unlike wohs, XKSD-ers. (English: Some fora don't like us, XKCD-ers.)

Proposal 8.2: Word 'our' is replasoed s + we/weh/wa/wo/woh by. Example: Swa kat is sikk. (English: Our cat is sick.)

Proposal 8.3: Word 'ours' is replasoed same word Proposal 8.2 as in by. Example: This secret is swe. (English: This secret is ours.)

Also, someone shouldi proposo name this language for!
Last edited by Lawrencelot on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

[UPDATE PROGRESS IN]

Spoiler:
Rule 1: All prepositions are now postpositions
Rule 2: Transitive verbs end with the letter 'o', and intransitive verbs with the letter 'i'. This replaces the last letter if the verb formerly ended with a vowel, or is appended to it if the verb ended with a consonant.
2.a. The suffix is applied to the root morpheme.
2.b. In case of irregular verbs, suffix goes at the end.
2.d. Auxiliary, modal and linking verbs, "would/could/should", "might", forms of "be", "have [verb]", "can [verb]", "do [verb]", etc. are not modified by this rule.
Rule 3: Abolish letter "c", replacing it with "s" or "k" as is phonetically appropriate. "ch" will be replaced by "tsh" when phonetically appropriate.
3.a. Abolish the digraph "qu", replacing it with "kw", and the letter "x", replacing it with "ks" or "gz" where appropriate.
Rule 4: All articles (a, an, the) will be eliminated.
Rule 5: Any verb, adverb, or adjective can take the prefix un- meaning "not".
Rule 6: The word "we" is now distinguished in five cases.
We = you (singular) and I
Weh = you (plural) and I
Wa = others and I
Wo = others, you (singular) and I
Woh, others, you (plural) and I

It wasi bright kold day April in, and klocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his tshin nuzled his breast into effort in escape to vile wind, slipped kwikly the glass doors through Viktory Mansions of, though unkwickly enough prevent-to swirl gritty dust of entering from him along with.

Some notes: I have rekonsideroed no-negative-votes rule, and I do thinko it would make sense establisho to it because otherwise someone kould voto really old proposal on.

I am also thinkiing about possibly, future in, having delay (rules being passoed) and (rules being implementoed) between. 8 hours maybe?

And yes, we need name.
Last edited by sje46 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

[PROGRESS IN]
Proposal 1.a: Does unappli to-infinitive prepositions to. "to" isi now prefix verb to, demarkated "-" with. e.g.
"I wanto to-go the store to"
Proposal 1.b.1: preposition noun or noun-phrase for must bei attatshoed main noun or subjekt. Adjektives or other modifiers un-to. Must always be suffixoed "-" with. If multi-word, kombino words with "-" well as.
"I slept near yellow house vines with near." turns
"I slept yellow house-near vines-with." to.
"I never careod much eatoing-for lot food-of and beiing lazy." (eksample gerund of)
"It's First-Methodist-Tshurtsh-behind."

This would simplifo things lot, I think.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.

It wasi bright kold day April-in, and klocks werei strikoing thirteen. Winston Smith, his tshin nuzzled his breast-into effort-in to-escape vile wind, slipped kwikly the glass doors-through Victory-Mansions-of, though unkwikly enough to-prevent swirl gritty dust-of entering-from him-along-with.

Proposal 2
2.e: Only apploes null morpheme-to and -s morpheme. Eksample for, "I wasi eatoing that" bekomoes "I was eating that". "I dyied my hair" bekomoes "I dyed my hair". However, "He eatos lot." is still valid, as is "I lovo you".
2.f: Transitive verb is desidoed (or, "desided")whether by objekt is noun unand what verb "usually" is, nor if objekt is noun phrase, gerund, ets. MUST be simple noun.
e.g. "I lovo my kat."
but:
"I lovi singiing shower in"

Notiso one takes "i" but other "o".

Be to blunt, I'm unhuge fan rule 2 of. It is diffikult determine to what is transitive and un, sometimes.

Proposal 4.a: New word "thu" (if you are emphasizoing a sertain the noun of) for. e.g.:
"It was thu man hat in who dido this!"
This is differentiate to between "a man in a hat" and "the man in the hat", but only usod when important. Compare latin: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ille#Latin
=================================
NAY Prop 5 on. Imperfekt solution. Feel like weh can do better that than. Seems ambiguous.
NAY Prop 7 on. We should avoido karakters most keyboards unon (espesially Amerikan). I undo knowo "upside e" is where my keyboard on.
HEAVY AYE Prop 8.2 and 8.3

12obin

Postby 12obin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 am UTC

sje46 you are usoing "un" a lot of odd plases in. Do you wanti to-propose tshanges that rule to?
Robin, she.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 am UTC

No all sje46's proposals to, exsept:
Yes Proposal 4.a to.

I unthink having many rules simplifoies things.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

I agrei 1a and 2f with. Everything else komplikatos things too much.

PROPOSAL 9:

Gender 3rd person pronouns of are driveno age by, not gender. Only uso 'they,' not 'he' or 'she.' Uso 'they' when age is unknowno. 'Theo' isi when subject isi 10 years old over for, and 'thep' opposite for. Other forms remaini unchangeod.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

YES Proposal 9 to.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

Sinse nothing is happeniing, I'll introduso small amendment.

PROPOSAL 3B:

'Sh' is replaceod unuseod 'c' by. Eksample for, English becomeos Englic, and shake becomeos cake.

Return to “Forum Games”