Nomaoic Beta [Game in progress]

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

cjquines

Re: Nomaoic Beta [12/52 Cards Created]

Postby cjquines » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am UTC

So it's similar to 1kbwc?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 am UTC

Yes, except we only have 52.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

for the Gravity card, does it wrap around, so 3 -> 2 -> A -> K etc.?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
Snark wrote:So players have to publily announce the number of gravity cards they have each time they play a card? So that other players know how to interpret the played card?

It only affects the cards in the player's hand, so that isn't necessary...
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to me now. I'm just to going to slightly reword your rule to say "...all of their non-Gravity cards drop in value..." and remove the sentence about exclusion of the Gravity card for succinctness. I also added flavor since you left it out. Cool card.
patzer wrote:He can't play, so he draws a card.
But this part of your example is wrong. Each turn consists of drawing a card then playing a card. You don't draw another card if you're not able to play (unless an as-of-yet unmade card dictates as such)

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:for the Gravity card, does it wrap around, so 3 -> 2 -> A -> K etc.?
Yep, that was already shown in the card's text.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [16/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

7 of Clubs - Restrictions - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%4 + 1)th rule on this card is activated and the other rules on this card are deactivated. Rule 1: No player may play a card onto a card of the same color. Rule 2: No player may play an even numbered card onto an even numbered card. Rule 3: No player may play an Ace, Eight, or Nine except on top of a card of the same suit. Rule 4: No player may play a Diamond unless the last card played was a Club. - A game without rules is like a horse without legs
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Re: Nomaoic Beta [17/52 Cards Created]

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

10 of Diamonds - Diamonds in the Sky: Draw 10 cards, and then choose and discard 10 cards. Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Is 4 of Spades still under review?

Snark wrote:
Nylonathatep wrote:Is 4 of Spades still under review?
Yeah. You haven't responded to the fact that I think it's unfun.

By the way, there's a list of cards in the OP. No need for you to keep a list along with somewhat crude derivations of our usernames.

Edit: I like the 10 of Diamonds. Added.

4 of Spades has been re-edited :)
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [17/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Is 4 of Spades still under review?
Yeah. You haven't responded to the fact that I think it's unfun.

By the way, there's a list of cards in the OP. No need for you to keep a list along with somewhat crude derivations of our usernames.

Edit: I like the 10 of Diamonds. Added.

orangedragonfire

Re: Nomaoic Beta [18/52 Cards Created]

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Ace of Stars - Nova - When playing this card, choose one suit and declare it to be the star-suit. Whenever a player draws a card of the current star-suit, he instead gets a Star card. - Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

(Example:
Player A plays Ace of Stars, and declares Hearts to be the star-suit.
Player B draws a card, the 7 of Hearts. Instead, he gets the 7 of Stars.)

(this adds another suit and thus 13 cards to the game)

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [18/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:Ace of Stars - Nova - When playing this card, choose one suit and declare it to be the star-suit. Whenever a player draws a card of the current star-suit, he instead gets a Star card. - Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

(Example:
Player A plays Ace of Stars, and declares Hearts to be the star-suit.
Player B draws a card, the 7 of Hearts. Instead, he gets the 7 of Stars.)

(this adds another suit and thus 13 cards to the game)
Very cool idea! But please: no one else add extra cards/suits to the game this round. 65 is quite enough for the first run through. Also odf, can you please give a color to the Stars suit. Other rules currently reference suit colors, so it's necessary to know.

4 of Stars - Cantrip - If this is the n'th time this card is played, draw min(n,8) cards at the end of your turn and then take another turn. - Vicious cycles are fun!

orangedragonfire

Re: Nomaoic Beta [20/65 Cards Created]

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

I think yellow is a nice colour for stars.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:I think yellow is a nice colour for stars.
Ok. I'll edit the OP.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

How would you get the first ace of stars? You can't draw it until a suit has already been declared to be stars.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:How would you get the first ace of stars? You can't draw it until a suit has already been declared to be stars.
Black Lotus is currently the only way, but I'm about to add another card that will specifically give out Ace of Stars. odf might instead want to circumvent this issue and just give a different suit to Ace of Stars.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Re: Nomaoic Beta [21/65 Cards Created]

Postby bluebambue » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Two of Stars - Duet-Stars - After playing this card, all other players must discard a pair of Star cards of their choice. If a player has one or no star cards this has no effect - Mass elimination round of the new reality TV show.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

9 of Clubs - Rock, Paper, Scissors - When you play this card, choose another player and enter a rock, paper, scissors contest with them. The winner can force the loser to either draw or discard up to three cards - Paper, Scissors, Rock
Last edited by thecamoninja on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

7 of Spades - Robber - Anyone with more than 7 cards in their hand must discard half (rounded down). The person who plays robber may steal one random card from any player - Better get a knight
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

10 of Clubs - Ender's Game - The following conditionals are executed in order when this card gets played: If any player has exactly 4 cards, all with different ranks and suits, that player wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if the previous player played an Ace of Clubs during their previous turn, you win. Else if any player has more than 40 cards, the player with the most cards wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if any player has 6 or more copies of the same card, they win (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else, everyone draws 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 cards, with each person getting to pick the number for their own self. - All roads lead to Rome.

Please no more double posts with multiple cards, camo. Will include both this time though. I especially like Robber.

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [25/65 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Here's a breakdown of the card types we've seen so far:
Spoiler:
Provides a way to win the game (3)
4 of Diamonds - Royal Reunion - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%3 + 1)th goal on this card is activated and the other goals on this card are deactivated. When a goal is achieved, a player claims, reveals their cards, and wins. Goal 1: Acquire a King of each suit. Goal 2: Acquire a Queen of each Suit. Goal 3: Acquire a Jack of each suit. - Gotta Catch 'em All
Ace of Hearts - Togetherness - If you have 3 or more cards in your hand, all hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.
10 of Clubs - Ender's Game - The following conditionals are executed in order when this card gets played: If any player has exactly 4 cards, all with different ranks and suits, that player wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if the previous player played an Ace of Clubs during their previous turn, you win. Else if any player has more than 40 cards, the player with the most cards wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if any player has 6 or more copies of the same card, they win (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else, everyone draws 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 cards, with each person getting to pick the number for their own self. - All roads lead to Rome.

Changes the way the game is played (2)
7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
7 of Clubs - Restrictions - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%4 + 1)th rule on this card is activated and the other rules on this card are deactivated. Rule 1: No player may play a card onto a card of the same color. Rule 2: No player may play an even numbered card onto an even numbered card. Rule 3: No player may play an Ace, Eight, or Nine except on top of a card of the same suit. Rule 4: No player may play a Diamond unless the last card played was a Club. - A game without rules is like a horse without legs.

Causing draws/discards (11)
10 of Diamonds - Diamonds in the Sky - Draw 10 cards and then choose and discard 10 cards. - Lucy in the sky with diamonds
King of Diamonds - Professor Oak - Discard your hand, then draw 7 cards This is my grandson. He's been your rival since you were a baby. …Erm, what is his name again?
5 of Hearts - 7 of Hearts - When this card is played, any other player may reveal a real 7 of Hearts. If this is done, the player who played the 5 of Hearts must draw a penalty card. - This card is undercover.
9 of Clubs - Rock, Paper, Scissors - When you play this card, choose another player and enter a rock, paper, scissors contest with them. The winner can force the loser to either draw or discard up to three cards. - Paper, Scissors, Rock
4 of Stars - Cantrip - If this is the n'th time this card is played, draw min(n,8) cards at the end of your turn and then take another turn. - Vicious cycles are fun!
2 of Spades - Double Trouble - Whoever goes next must double their number of cards (aka draw a number of cards equal to the number of cards in their hand before their turn starts). - Do two troubles cancel each other out?
Two of Stars - Duet-Stars - After playing this card, all other players must discard a pair of Star cards of their choice. If a player has one or no Star cards this has no effect. - Mass elimination round of the new reality TV show.
4 of Spades - Death - Whenever you're forced to discard a card from your hand and this card is in your hand, reveal your 4 of Spades, and the player that forced you to discard a card discards a card at random instead. Whenever you play this card, all other players must choose and discard a card from their hand. - "Death, but not for you.. gunslinger." - Walter O'l Dim
7 of Spades - Robber - Anyone with more than 7 cards in their hand must discard half (rounded down). The person who plays Robber may steal one random card from any player. - Better get a knight
10 of Spades - Cardtrick - Play with card along with another card; the other card has no effect. - Watch as I make this card disappear from my hand.

Give access to specific cards (3)
4 of Hearts - Transmutation - After playing, add your choice of a 4 of Spades or 4 of Clubs or 4 of Diamonds to your hand as if you had drawn the card from the deck. - This card trick is easy. Turning lead into gold has proved more difficult.
Ace of Clubs - Black Lotus - Add any three cards of any one color to your hand. - Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.
3 of Spades - The Gravekeeper - Return one card other then 'The Gravekeeper' from the discard pile into your hand. Only return 'The Gravekeeper' into your hand if there's no other card in the discard pile. - If you don't take care of yourself, the undertaker will overtake that responsibility for you.

Meta (2)
2 of Clubs - Repetition - Has the same effects as the previously played card - [The same flavour as the previous card]
Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole - Negate the effect of the card that was played before this card. You may also play this card out of turn to negate the effect that another player's just-played card would have had on you. - Don't worry, I still got my Ace in the Hole.

Stealing/giving cards (3)
6 of Diamonds - Duplicate - When you play this card, give a copy of it to a player of your choice. If the previously played card is an Ace, give an additional copy to a player of your choice. - Go forth and multiply.
Knave of Spades - Thief - Choose a person, you can look at all their cards and steal one. What's yours is mine.
7 of Spades - Robber - Anyone with more than 7 cards in their hand must discard half (rounded down). The person who plays Robber may steal one random card from any player. - Better get a knight

Changing card values (4)
Queen of Hearts - Promotion for all Pawns. After you play this card, all the other cards in your hand become Queens. Beware the Queen army!
8 of Clubs - Gravity: Gravity pulls everything down. If this card is in your hand, every time you play a card, all your non-Gravity cards drop in value by 1. i.e. a 3 becomes a 2, a 2 becomes an Ace, an Ace becomes a King, a King becomes a Queen, a Queen becomes a Jack, a Jack becomes a 10, et cetera. Suits are not affected. When you get rid of all their Gravity cards, the effects apply for that turn but are stopped for subsequent turns. - Down the rabbit hole.
7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
Ace of Stars - Nova - When playing this card, choose one suit and declare it to be the star-suit. Whenever a player draws a card of the current star-suit, he instead gets a Star suited card of that rank. The color of the Stars suit is yellow. - Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Please try to fill out categories are lacking or are completely empty right now. :)

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

6 of clubs - Fight Club: In addition to playing 'Fight Club', select target player. Both you and selected player reveal the card with the highest numerical value in their hand (King being highest, Ace being lowest). Player with the lower value card skip their next turn. '1st rule: You do not talk about fight club. 2nd rule: You DO NOT talk about fight club.'

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

King of Stars - Victory over Death - In the next two rounds, players draw cards from the bottom of the discard pile (Instead of from the draw pile). The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death

(original: Look at the top four cards in the discard pile, and draw one of them. Then, discard the King of Stars.)
Last edited by Dr. Diaphanous on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

That's just like Gravekeeper, only worse. Want to twerk it to make it not superfluos?

Edit: Love the flavor though.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Queen of Stars - Sudden Death: Give one card on your hand to each player. If you are left without cards, you win! Must yell Nomaoic! after winning. I don't know what happened, suddenly she appeared and killed us all.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

A few suggestions that I devised (on recommendation from odf)

Knave of Hearts - Keep going- When this card is played, the next player must play a card. - YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!
2 of Diamonds - Catching the discard - Playing this card allows the player to take the last card played and add it to a separate pile of his, to be played at any time. - I choose you! (*pokeball*)
King of Stars - Go look at the distraction - Using this card summons a distraction, allowing you to mess with the card stock at your leisure (taking cards, discarding). - Release the Kraken.
It's Magic. I ain't gonna explain shit.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Snark wrote:That's just like Gravekeeper, only worse. Want to twerk it to make it not superfluos?

King of Stars edited.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Queen Arasene wrote:A few suggestions that I devised (on recommendation from odf)

Knave of Hearts - Keep going- When this card is played, the next player must play a card. - YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!
2 of Diamonds - Catching the discard - Playing this card allows the player to take the last card played and add it to a separate pile of his, to be played at any time. - I choose you! (*pokeball*)
King of Stars - Go look at the distraction - Using this card summons a distraction, allowing you to mess with the card stock at your leisure (taking cards, discarding). - Release the Kraken.
One per post please.
RE: Keep going - What is supposed to happen if the next player doesn't have any valid cards to play?
RE: Catching the discard - Once you play this card, it will be the last card played. You'll never get to set aside any other cards. Is this how you wanted the card to work?
RE: Go look at the distraction - What's a card stock? Also King of Stars is already taken.

Welcome to the game! Feel free to resubmit these one at a time in future posts with clarifications! Until then, going to ignore these. Don't forget not to double post.

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
Snark wrote:That's just like Gravekeeper, only worse. Want to twerk it to make it not superfluos?

King of Stars edited.
Coolness.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

3 of Hearts - Love Triangle: Each player gives all cards in their hand to the player that took their turn before him/her.
'All love is unrequited'

“A mighty pain to love it is,
And 'tis a pain that pain to miss;
But of all pains, the greatest pain
It is to love, but love in vain.”

OT: Oh me yarm Hi Queenie!!!
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

5 Of Spades - Body Change! - After playing this card, give your hand to another player and take his hand, and then, play a card! I was just bored of being myself, so, let's be you for a change.

Lunch Meat

Re: Nomaoic Beta [28/65 Cards Created]

Postby Lunch Meat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

So I haven't posted here in ages, I've just been lurking because I find logic games and stuff to be endlessly fascinating. Anyway, I've always wanted to play one of these so this has finally convinced me to come out of hiding.

5 of Diamonds - Divine Intervention - This card must be played immediately after it is drawn. When this card is played, whoever has the Queen of Spades in their hand wins. If no one has it, nothing happens. The heavens open, the earth shakes, and your enemies lie smited before you.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Ace of Hearts - Poker Master. As long as you have this card on your hand, instead of drawing from the normal link, you draw from this one. That is, you only draw figures and Aces. But the other players don't know, keep your Poker Face!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

How about:

4 of Clubs - Peer Pressure - Until a non-club is played, players must play clubs if they can. If the player does not have any clubs, or if they are restricted from doing so by another active rule, they can play whatever they like and this temporary restriction will end. Comon, everyone's doing it.
-Adam

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Knave of Clubs - Go Directly to Jail - Choose a player. Until that player plays a face card, they may not play any other cards. They may draw cards as usual on their turn. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Jack of Clubs - Fog. As long as you have this card on your hand, you can play you cards face down, and give penalty cards and return the cards played by other players if they are not valid moves against the cards you play. My cards will actually be played face up but the fog will not allow you to see them.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

5 of Clubs - Unholy Intervention - If you play this card, all players currently holding the Queen of Spades must get rid of the Queen of Spades. The Queens are not placed on the discard pile where they could be picked up; they become unretrievable. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, and the sexually immoral - they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

That's in response to this OP card:
Lunch Meat wrote:5 of Diamonds - Divine Intervention - This card must be played immediately after it is drawn. When this card is played, whoever has the Queen of Spades in their hand wins. If no one has it, nothing happens. The heavens open, the earth shakes, and your enemies lie smited before you.
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Alternatively we can just veto Divine Intervention, which I'm all for.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Depending on what the queen of spades is, it might be OK. For instance, if you have the queen of spades, perhaps you are forced to either discard it or skip your turn.
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Queen of Spades - Massive Regicide. This card must be played immediately. All players discard all their Kings and Queens, including this card, unless nobody has any King or Queen, in that case, discard all Aces and Jacks, unless nobody has any, in that case, you can return Queen of Spades to your hand (but a player may get you to discard it by showing you a A/J/K/Q and discarding it so you discard the Queen of Spades). The Monarchy has gone insane, they keep trying to kill each other!

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
Queen Arasene wrote:Knave of Hearts - Keep going- When this card is played, the next player must play a card. - YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!

RE: Keep going - What is supposed to happen if the next player doesn't have any valid cards to play?

Very good question. A good option would be that he has to keep drawing cards until he obtains a valid card which must then be played.

Nylonathatep wrote:OT: Gee Willikers Hi Queenie!!!

Hi Nylon!

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

6 of Hearts - Change of Heart: Reverse the order in which the players take their turn. 'The young heart is often Fickle.'

I.e. If you are player A and then turn order is A, B, C, D. Now It's D,C,B,A. With D taking his/her turn right after you.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
Queen Arasene wrote:2 of Diamonds - Catching the discard - Playing this card allows the player to take the last card played and add it to a separate pile of his, to be played at any time. - I choose you! (*pokeball*)
RE: Catching the discard - Once you play this card, it will be the last card played. You'll never get to set aside any other cards. Is this how you wanted the card to work?

That's a very interesting dilemma I had not thought of before. No, the intention was that you get the last card played before this one.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
Queen Arasene wrote:King of Stars - Go look at the distraction - Using this card summons a distraction, allowing you to mess with the card stock at your leisure (taking cards, discarding). - Release the Kraken.

RE: Go look at the distraction - What's a card stock? Also King of Stars is already taken.

The card stock is the pile of unused cards/the cards you draw from.
The King is already taken? Dang! Make that the Knave, then.

Return to “Forum Games”