Nomaoic Beta [Game in progress]

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Snark

Nomaoic Beta [Game in progress]

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Background:
Yes, the game name is a portmanteau of Nomic and Mao. Pronounced No-Mao-Ick. Rhymes with Go-Cow-Lick. Yes, I created this game because I miss Nomic but don't want to start another game of Nomic.

Base rules of Nomaoic:
This game is played with an infinite number of 52-card decks and 2 or more players. Each player is dealt 4 cards and the rest go into the draw pile. During a turn, play any one card into the discard pile. If you can't play a card, draw a card, and you can play the card you just drew if you can. Initial turn order is order of sign-ups. There is initially no way to win, but when a player has no cards and it's the end of a turn, they add a global victory condition to the game (subject to approval by the other players) and reenter the game with 4 cards. Players draw cards by going to this link at random.org. Each card has an effect on the game. If at any point, a player is supposed to do a certain thing (such as play a card) and can't for any reason, that action is skipped.

How this thread works:
First, we decide what each of the 52 cards does. Post and give a card that hasn't previously been created a name and a function when played. Create at most one card per post. No double posting. After all the cards are created, we'll play the game. You may create cards without playing in the game that follows, but please keep the enjoyment of the players in mind. We can vote to veto certain cards later if we really need to. No player may create more than 10 cards.

Card creation guildelines:
Please don't create any cards that would require this game to have a moderator. I want to play in this game once the cards are created and don't have the time to moderate another game (though I will keep the OP updated with which cards have been created already and will post game sign-ups and game start once the deck is created).
Here are some suggestions for card types (based on Fluxx, the card game): "New rule" cards that complicate/enhance the game when played, "Goal" cards that create a way to win the game when played, "Keeper" cards that players play in front of them to benefit them in some way, "Action" cards that provide a one-time effect when played. You don't have to give a card a category when you create it. Your card submissions don't have to fall neatly into one of these categories - these are just suggestions.

Card creation format:

Code: Select all

[b]Rank of Suit[/b] - [b]Name[/b] - Description of card effects - [i]Card flavor. Should be related to name and/or function of card.[/i]

Cards already created:
Spoiler:
2 of Diamonds - Catching the discard - You may take the last card played (this card not included) and add it to a separate pile belonging to you (but not considered part of your hand), to be played at any time. - I choose you! (*pokeball*)
3 of Diamonds - The Donkey - If this card is in your hand, play with it revealed face up in front of you. You cannot play the Donkey normally. While the Donkey is in your hand, all players must refer to you as 'Donkey' (or a similar name, eg: 'The Donkey' is fine). Any player who refers to you in a different way (eg: by your normal name, or 'the next player', etc...) while this card is in your hand must take it from you and put it in their own hand. If another player obtains a 3 of diamonds, you discard this card and they become the Donkey. - Nice card you've got there, Donkey.
4 of Diamonds - Mind Trick - Look at another player's hand. On their next turn, you can force them to play the card you want them to play (and you choose how the effect is carried out; i.e., if the card says "discard or draw two cards," you choose whether they discard or draw.) - You don't need to see my identification. These aren't the cards you're looking for.
5 of Diamonds - Fruitcake - When you play this card, put it into another player's hand instead of on top of the discard pile. If you have two or more copies of Fruitcake at the start of your turn, you may destroy them all (discard them without putting them in the discard pile) before you take your turn. - A gift unwanted is a gift nonetheless.
6 of Diamonds - Duplicate - When you play this card, give a copy of it to a player of your choice. If the previously played card is an Ace, give an additional copy to a player of your choice. - Go forth and multiply.
7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
8 of Diamonds - The Game Must Go On - Play this card when another player has just won to invalidate the victory. [[When a player wins, players in order of the turn order may play The Game Must Go On (or any other card that specifies that it reacts to victories, or otherwise specifies that it may be played after a victory), but no other card (Passing if you have neither of these cards or don't want to play). If The Game Must Go On is played, normal play resumes. If an entire round goes by without anybody playing one one these cards, the victory is final.]] - It's not over yet.
9 of Diamonds - Multitasking - Name two cards: Every player (yourself included) must discard all copies of those two cards from their hand. Draw cards equal to the number of players and give one card to each player - you decide who gets what and the cards you give out aren't public. Show any one opponent all the cards in your hand and look at all the cards in their hand. Discard a card. Deal 3 players (you may be one of those players) of your choice an Ace of Stars. - ALL THE ACTIONS!
10 of Diamonds - Diamonds in the Sky - Draw 10 cards and then choose and discard 10 cards. - Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Jack of Diamonds - Wealthy Fool - When Wealthy Fool is picked up, turn all your cards to diamonds. - Better than Midas.
Queen of Diamonds - Fog - As long as you have this card in your hand, you can play your cards face down and give penalty cards (1 per wrong play) and return the cards played by other players if they are not valid moves against the cards you play. After a player draws a penalty card, they don't get to try to play another card during that turn. - My cards will actually be played face up but the fog will not allow you to see them.
King of Diamonds - Professor Oak - Discard your hand, then draw 7 cards This is my grandson. He's been your rival since you were a baby. …Erm, what is his name again?
Ace of Diamonds - Poker Master - As long as you have this card on your hand, instead of drawing from the normal link, you draw from this one. That is, you only draw figures (face cards) and Aces. - But the other players don't know, keep your Poker Face!
2 of Hearts - Poker Face-off - When you play this card, all players may choose to reveal up to 5 cards from their hands. The player(s) whose revealed cards form the highest poker hand may each choose to either draw X cards, or have all other players draw X cards, where X is equal to the number of players who chose to reveal cards for this poker face-off. (Choosing which cards to reveal is done before seeing the other players' revealed cards.) - This would be a great hand, if we were playing poker.
3 of Hearts - Love Triangle - Each player gives all cards in their hand to the player that took their turn before them. - All love is unrequited
4 of Hearts - Transmutation - After playing, add your choice of a 4 of Spades or 4 of Clubs or 4 of Diamonds to your hand as if you had drawn the card from the deck. - This card trick is easy. Turning lead into gold has proved more difficult.
5 of Hearts - 7 of Hearts - When this card is played, any other player may reveal a real 7 of Hearts. If this is done, the player who played the 5 of Hearts must draw a penalty card. - This card is undercover.
6 of Hearts - Change of Heart - Reverse the order in which the players take their turn. - The young heart is often Fickle.
7 of Hearts - Have a Nice Day - The player who would play after you has their turn skipped, and draws or discards two cards (your choice) - Thank you, it is a nice day
8 of Hearts - Painting the Roses Red - All cards are considered to be hearts instead of their normal suits. (This effect is cancelled if another 8 of hearts is played; cards then revert to their original suit). - We dare not stop, or waste a drop, so let the paint be spread.
9 of Hearts - The Cat - If you played this card, return it to your hand at the start of your next turn. - But the cat came back, the very next day.
10 of hearts - Raptors - Choose another player and a suit. Your pet raptor eats [forces to discard] every card in that player's hand of that suit. - Remember, raptors run at 10 m/s and they do not know fear.
Jack of Hearts - Keep going - When this card is played, the next player must play a card (that is, if they have no valid cards to play and there is at least one valid card to play that they could draw, they must keep drawing cards until they draw a valid card to play and then play that card). - YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!
Queen of Hearts - Promotion for all Pawns. - After you play this card, all the other cards in your hand become Queens. Beware the Queen army!
King of Hearts - Copyright - For the next 10 turns after you discard this card, anyone who picks up a King of Hearts must immediately give it to you. - Too long? If anything 10 years is too short!
Ace of Hearts - .44 Magnum - When this card is played on another Ace, all numbers (also those spelled out, like 'one') on card descriptions will from now on be taken to be 1 higher. When it is played on a non-Ace, all numbers are reset to their normal values. - I know what you're thinking — "Does he have one card or only zero?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being as this is might be an Ace of Hearts, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
2 of Clubs - Repetition - Has the same effects as the previously played card - [The same flavour as the previous card]
3 of Clubs - Golf - If there is a player that has more cards in their hand than any other player, they discard cards until they no longer have more cards in their hand than any other player. - Wait, is a high score or low score better?
4 of Clubs - Peer Pressure - Until a non-club is played, players must play clubs if they can. If the player does not have any clubs, or if they are restricted from doing so by another active rule, they can play whatever they like and this temporary restriction will end. Comon, everyone's doing it.
5 of Clubs - Unholy Intervention - If you play this card, all players currently holding the Queen of Spades must get rid of the Queen of Spades. The Queens are not placed on the discard pile where they could be picked up; they become unretrievable. - But the cowardly, the unbelieving, and the sexually immoral - they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
6 of Clubs - Fight Club - Select an opponent. Both you and selected player reveal the card with the highest numerical value in their hand (King being highest, Ace being lowest). The player with the lower value card skips their next turn. 1st rule: You do not talk about fight club. 2nd rule: You DO NOT talk about fight club.
7 of Clubs - Simulation - This cards simulates another card. Whenever this card does not hold a simulated card, immediately draw another card which will be the simulated card. Any effect on this card affects the simulated card instead. This includes playing the card. - Any sufficiently good simulation is indistinguishable from reality.
8 of Clubs - Gravity: Gravity pulls everything down. If this card is in your hand, every time you play a card, all your non-Gravity cards drop in value by 1. i.e. a 3 becomes a 2, a 2 becomes an Ace, an Ace becomes a King, a King becomes a Queen, a Queen becomes a Jack, a Jack becomes a 10, et cetera. Suits are not affected. When you get rid of all their Gravity cards, the effects apply for that turn but are stopped for subsequent turns. - Down the rabbit hole.
9 of Clubs - Rock, Paper, Scissors - When you play this card, choose another player and enter a rock, paper, scissors contest with them. The winner can force the loser to either draw or discard up to three cards. - Paper, Scissors, Rock
10 of Clubs - Katz - When it is your turn, you may exchange this card for any other card from another player's hand. (You are allowed to see all other player's hands for this action.) - I'll have what she's having.
Jack of Clubs - Go Directly to Jail - Choose a player. Until that player plays a face card, they may not play any other cards. They may draw cards as usual on their turn. - Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Queen Of Clubs - Effect Swap - After playing this card, swap the effect of two any other cards between each other. These can't be from cards that you have. Do it in Spoilers that others can't read, and only reveal the swap when they attempt to use a card with a wrong effect. - You keep using that card. I do not think it does what you think it does.
King of Clubs - Lotus Eater - Activate the Lotus Eater Effect. When the Lotus Eater Effect is active, the Black Lotus (Ace of Clubs) cannot be played unless the last played card is a Club. After the Black Lotus (Ace of Clubs) is played, this effect is deactivated. - Black Lotus is a stupid name anyways. It just makes no sense. Who got paid to come up with that shit?
Ace of Clubs - Black Lotus - Add any three cards of any one color to your hand. - Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.
2 of Spades - Double Trouble - Whoever goes next must double their number of cards (aka draw a number of cards equal to the number of cards in their hand before their turn starts). - Do two troubles cancel each other out?
3 of Spades - The Gravekeeper - Return one card other then 'The Gravekeeper' from the discard pile into your hand. Only return 'The Gravekeeper' into your hand if there's no other card in the discard pile. - If you don't take care of yourself, the undertaker will overtake that responsibility for you.
4 of Spades - Death - Whenever you're forced to discard a card from your hand and this card is in your hand, reveal your 4 of Spades, and the player that forced you to discard a card discards a card at random instead. Whenever you play this card, all other players must choose and discard a card from their hand. - "Death, but not for you.. gunslinger." - Walter O'l Dim
5 Of Spades - Body Change! - After playing this card, give your hand to another player and take their hand, and then, play a card! - I was just bored of being myself, so, let's be you for a change.
6 of Spades - 6 of Spades - This card is the 6 of spades. It's flavour text is considered to be a picture of 6 spades. - <picture of 6 of Spades>
7 of Spades - Robber - Anyone with more than 7 cards in their hand must discard half (rounded down). The person who plays Robber may steal one random card from any player. - Better get a knight
8 of Spades - Nuclear threat - When you play this card, you may say "RESET!". If you do, everything in the game resets (the draw pile, the discard pile, any random rules or goals in effect, everything) as it was at the beginning of the game EXCEPT for the cards each player has in their hand. - The best way to fix a problem is to make it go away.
9 of Spades - Rules for Contract Bridge - When you get this card, immediately play it in front of you - it remains there for the rest of the game until another player gets a card with this same effect. (If the effect of this card changes, return it to your hand.) While this card is in front of you, if there is ever a (genuine) disagreement over the rules, you get the deciding vote on which of the competing interpretations to go with. - We lost the 9 of spades, so we're using this card instead.
10 of Spades - Cardtrick - Play with card along with another card; the other card has no effect. - Watch as I make this card disappear from my hand.
Jack of Spades - Thief - Choose a person, you can look at all their cards and steal one. What's yours is mine.
Queen of Spades - Massive Regicide. This card must be played immediately if taken into your hand. All players discard all their Kings and Queens, including this card, unless nobody has any King or Queen, in that case, discard all Aces and Jacks, unless nobody has any, in that case, you can return Queen of Spades to your hand (but a player may get you to discard it at any time by showing you a A/J/K/Q and discarding it so that you must discard the Queen of Spades). - The Monarchy has gone insane, they keep trying to kill each other!
King of Spades - Dug Me A Hole: The next card you draw from the deck will be an Ace of Spades. - My old pappy always used to say "Don't put the chicken in front of"... no, wait "Never cut the cards before"... no, wait, "Don't put all you eggs in one basket".
Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole - Negate the effect of the card that was played before this card. You may also play this card out of turn to negate the effect that another player's just-played card would have had on you. - Don't worry, I still got my Ace in the Hole.
2 of Stars - Duet-Stars - After playing this card, all other players must discard a pair of Star cards of their choice. If a player has one or no Star cards this has no effect. - Mass elimination round of the new reality TV show.
3 of Stars - Triple threat - For the next round (up to and including your next turn) each player draws 3 cards and plays 3 cards - The power of three
4 of Stars - Cantrip - If this is the n'th time this card is played, draw min(n,8) cards at the end of your turn and then take another turn. - Vicious cycles are fun!
5 of Stars - Hit me - The player who went before you reveals three cards from their hand at random (numerical value only [A=1, J=11, Q=12, K=13]). If the total value is less than 21, draw a card. If the total value is greater than 21, discard a card. If the total value is exactly 21, draw 2 cards. If the player does not have three cards in their hand, discard two cards. - Don't gamble what you aren't prepared to lose.
6 of Stars - Boots - Play this Card along with a Person Card (any of Professor Oak, Poker Master, The Gravekeeper, Robber, Thief, Joker, The donkey, Death, Superstar, The Cat, Raptor) to play both cards out of turn. This card may not be played alone, nor when it is your turn. - These boots were made for walking.
7 of Stars - Lucky Stars - The next 3 cards you draw will all be Star face cards. Draw from this link and convert the suit to Stars. - Thank your lucky stars!
8 of Stars - Superstar - Once each turn, if you have this card in your hand, you may give one of your cards to another player. - Who should I sign this to?
9 of Stars - Constellation - Rearrange the order of play to your liking. You must list every player exactly once. After this turn, it's the turn of whoever comes after you in the new turn order. - And he reached out, and placed the stars in the sky; to inspire those who dream and to guide those who are lost.
10 Of Stars - Peekaboo - After playing this card, you are able to see the cards of all other players. Then, you are able to trade any card of yours with any card of them, up to replacing each your cards once apiece if you want. - All your green grass are belong to me.
Jack of Stars - No, I did! - Whenever a player claims a win, you must play this card immediately, and steal their win. If you have more than one Jack of Stars, only play one. All the players between the winner and the player of this card in turn order discard a Jack of Stars if they have it, as if they played it immediately but had their win stolen. If someone plays The Show Must Go On, you must discard this card and all previous effects of Jack of Stars this turn are negated. - I refuse your victory, and replace it with my own. I also refuse your refusal and replace it with my own.
Queen of Stars - Your Wildest Dreams - Choose enough cards from the discard pile (not including this card) to give one to each player (including yourself). If there are not enough cards in the discard pile, the players who missed out draw a card instead. - You get a card, you get a card, you get a card, you get a card! Everybody gets a card!
King of Stars - Victory over Death - In the next two rounds, players draw cards from the bottom of the discard pile (Instead of from the draw pile). - The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death
Ace of Stars - Nova - When playing this card, choose one suit and declare it to be the star-suit. Whenever a player draws a card of the current star-suit, he instead gets a Star suited card of that rank. The color of the Stars suit is yellow. - Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
The Joker - Xanatos Gambit - If at any point in the game you have the 2 of Spades, 2 of Clubs, 2 of Diamonds, 2 of Hearts AND 2 of Stars, you can discard them to activate The Joker card. The Joker acts as an extra player in the game, gets their own hand of cards (starts with 4 cards), and gets in the rotation of players (appears at the end of the lineup initially), but is controlled by the player who activated it. After the player or the Joker wins, the player scores a win, and the game continues as the player attempts to earn a second win as himself/The Joker. The Joker is reset by Nuclear threat. Wins by The Joker can't be blocked or stolen, and there can only be a single Joker in the entire game (unless he was reset by Nuclear threat, in that case a new Joker can be summoned), so after one appears, no one else may discard 2's to activate the Joker. - I actually won before the game started. I actually did it twice, but you haven't noticed yet.
17½ of Oranges - More Cards! - If you play this card, every player can create a new card, of any rank, suit or color on their next turn! (as long as it isn't already taken, and it complies with the card creation guidelines in the OP). The cards won't be added to the deck, however, so players can only get the new cards by Black Lotus or a similar card. The color of oranges is orange. Because 66 cards clearly isn't enough.

Deleted cards:
Spoiler:
4 of Diamonds - Royal Reunion - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%3 + 1)th goal on this card is activated and the other goals on this card are deactivated. When a goal is achieved, a player claims, reveals their cards, and wins. Goal 1: Acquire a King of each suit. Goal 2: Acquire a Queen of each Suit. Goal 3: Acquire a Jack of each suit. - Gotta Catch 'em All
5 of Diamonds - Divine Intervention - This card must be played immediately after it is drawn. When this card is played, whoever has the Queen of Spades in their hand wins. If no one has it, nothing happens. - The heavens open, the earth shakes, and your enemies lie smited before you.
Ace of Hearts - Togetherness - If you have 3 or more cards in your hand, all hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.
7 of Clubs - Restrictions - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%4 + 1)th rule on this card is activated and the other rules on this card are deactivated. Rule 1: No player may play a card onto a card of the same color. Rule 2: No player may play an even numbered card onto an even numbered card. Rule 3: No player may play an Ace, Eight, or Nine except on top of a card of the same suit. Rule 4: No player may play a Diamond unless the last card played was a Club. - A game without rules is like a horse without legs.
10 of Clubs - Ender's Game - The following conditionals are executed in order when this card gets played: If any player has exactly 4 cards, all with different ranks and suits, that player wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if the previous player played an Ace of Clubs during their previous turn, you win. Else if any player has more than 40 cards, the player with the most cards wins (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else if any player has 6 or more copies of the same card, they win (multiple players meeting this criteria means no one qualifies). Else, everyone draws 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 cards, with each person getting to pick the number for their own self. - All roads lead to Rome.
King of Spades - Elusive Victory - If this card is in your hand, and your hand includes Kings from 4 different suits (counting this card if needed), you win the game. Otherwise, if this card is in your hand, discard it immediately. - You don't need me yet? I'll be in my counting house.
Queen of Stars - Sudden Death: Give one card from your hand to each player. If you are left without cards, you win! Must yell Nomaoic! after winning. - I don't know what happened, suddenly she appeared and killed us all.

My first submission:
4 of Hearts - Transmutation - After playing, add your choice of a 4 of Spades or 4 of Clubs or 4 of Diamonds to your hand as if you had drawn the card from the deck. - This card trick is easy. Turning lead into gold has proved more difficult.
Last edited by Snark on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:41 pm UTC, edited 40 times in total.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

orangedragonfire

Re: Nomaoic Beta [1/52 Cards Created]

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

7 of Diamonds - Creation - Create a new card, and add it to the draw pile. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:7 of Diamonds - Creation - Create a new card, and add it to the draw pile. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
Does this mean adding it do the draw pile so that the new card has equal chance of coming up on each draw? Because if so, that removes the ability of random.org to deal the cards. Or is it a single card that the next person draws?

Edit: You could fix this by having the new card replace an old card - overwriting an old card's function. I'll add this in the OP once you clarify.
Last edited by Snark on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bouer

Postby bouer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Knave of Spades - Thief - Choose a person, you can look at all their cards and steal one. What's yours is mine.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:7 of Diamonds - Creation - Create a new card, and add it to the draw pile. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.

We're assigning rules to all of the card before playing, so this would require you to re-assign the value of a card. Also, couldn't the player who first draws this create some kind of instant-win condition that grossly favours them or their current hand?

King of Diamonds - Professor Oak - Discard your hand, then draw 7 cards. This is my grandson. He's been your rival since you were a baby. …Erm, what is his name again?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

orangedragonfire

Re: Nomaoic Beta [3/52 Cards Created]

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

I didn't follow the link, so i didn't realize we actually had a random card drawn; I thought it was just a random number between 1 and 52. (in which case it would be easy to add or remove more cards)

I also must admit that on second thought my proposed card is a bit too powerful. So, instead:

7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole: Play Ace in the Hole Negate the effect of that card that was played before this card. You may play This card as a response to other players playing another card. "Don't worry, I still got my Ace in the Hole."

(edited to make more sense.)
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:39 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
Coolness. Do you mean the previously played card? If so, may I change it to say that?

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole: Play Ace in the Hole in response to another player affecting you with their card. Negate the effect of that card. "Don't worry, I still got my Ace in the Hole."
I'm assuming that if you play this card as a normal card onto the discard pile, it has a null effect?

bouer

Postby bouer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Togetherness - Ace of Hearts - If your entire hand is hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.

Adding a win condition. I don't particularly like the title or flavour, any suggestions?

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

bouer wrote:Togetherness - Ace of Hearts - If your entire hand is hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.

Adding a win condition. I don't particularly like the title or flavour, any suggestions?
Does this count as a win if your hand is empty after playing this card? The flavor is fine by me.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
orangedragonfire wrote:7 of Diamonds - Change - Change the effect of the previous card; but only so that it still fits with the flavour text. - I am altering the rules! Pray that I do not alter them any further.
Coolness. Do you mean the previously played card? If so, may I change it to say that?

Of course.

2 of Clubs - Repetition - Has the same effects as the previously played card - [The same flavour as the previous card]

edit: I'm torn on the flavour for this card. Possibilities:
[The same flavour as the previous card]
Here we go again.
Anything you can do, I can do equally well.

bouer

Postby bouer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
bouer wrote:Togetherness - Ace of Hearts - If your entire hand is hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.

Does this count as a win if your hand is empty after playing this card? The flavor is fine by me.

That would make it very easy to win, wouldn't it?

How about:
[bTogetherness[/b] - Ace of Hearts - If you have 3 or more cards in your hand, all hearts, you win! - Together, we are stronger than the sum of our parts.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:2 of Clubs - Repetition - Has the same effects as the previously played card - [The same flavour as the previous card]

edit: I'm torn on the flavour for this card. Possibilities:
[The same flavour as the previous card]
Here we go again.
Anything you can do, I can do equally well.
I like "Here we go again" though your current meta one is great too.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole: Play Ace in the Hole Negate the effect of that card that was played before this card. You may play This card as a response to other players playing another card. "Don't worry, I still got my Ace in the Hole."

(edited to make more sense.)
So this completely makes it like the previous play didn't happen. Like an undo button? Does this put cards the last person played back into their hand?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

5 of Hearts - 7 of Hearts - When this card is played, any other player may reveal a real 7 of Hearts. If this is done, the player who played the 5 of Hearts must draw a penalty card. - This card is undercover.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

By draw a penalty card, do you mean "draw a card", or "draw from a separate pool of penalty cards"?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

I mean draw a card. It probably doesn't need the "penalty" in the description, since we don't know yet whether having cards is good or bad.

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [7/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

7 cards currently created and in the OP.
1 card, Ace of Spades, currently under review.

bouer

Postby bouer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Double Trouble - 2 of Clubs - Whoever goes next must double their number of cards. - Do two troubles cancel each other out?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

10 of Spades - Cardtrick - Play with card along with another card; the other card has no effect. - Watch as I make this card disappear from my hand.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

@bouer - That means draw cards equal to the number of cards you currently have and them take your turn?

Edit: NEW RULE! No person may create more than 10 cards. Gotta give everyone a chance guys! But I do really appreciate that this thread is taking off. :D

bouer

Postby bouer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Snark wrote:@bouer - That means draw cards equal to the number of cards you currently have and them take your turn?

Edit: NEW RULE! No person may create more than 10 cards. Gotta give everyone a chance guys! But I do really appreciate that this thread is taking off. :D

Yeah. I've got a great idea for king of clubs, golf. player with most cards goes first, followed by next player, etc. I don't have time to flesh it out.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

bouer wrote:Double Trouble - 2 of Clubs - Whoever goes next must double their number of cards. - Do two troubles cancel each other out?

Also 2 of Clubs is taken. Also your name and rank/suit are in wrong order. :mrgreen:

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

4 of Hearts - Transmutation (Snark)
5 of Hearts - 7 of Hearts (ODF)
Ace of Hearts - Togetherness (Bouer)
-----------------------------------------------------
10 of Spades - Cardtrick (ODF)
Knave of Spades - Thief (Bouer)
Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole (Nylonathatep)
-------------------------------------------------------
7 of Diamonds - Change (ODF)
King of Diamonds - Professor Oak (Dr.Dre)
------------------------------------------------------
2 of Clubs - Repetition (ODF)

New Card:
3 of Spades - The Gravekeeper - Play 'The Gravekeeper', return one card other then 'The Gravekeeper' from the discard pile into your hand. Only return 'The Gravekeeper' into player's hand if there's no other card in the discard pile. "If you dont take care of yourself, the undertaker will overtake that responsibility for you."

Snark wrote:So this completely makes it like the previous play didn't happen. Like an undo button? Does this put cards the last person played back into their hand?

1) Yes, 2) No.

thecamoninja

Re: Nomaoic Beta [8/52 Cards Created]

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Ace of Clubs - Black Lotus - Add three cards of any one color to your hand - Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [8/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:Ace of Clubs - Black Lotus - Add three cards of any one color to your hand - Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.

Does this mean you keep drawing til you get three of a color you specify? Or you pick any 3 red cards and put them all in your hand. The latter seems a little overpowered.

Snark

Re: Nomaoic Beta [11/52 Cards Created]

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

11 cards created.
bouer's in queue once he chooses an unused card.
camo's is created but still needs clarification.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

I meant the latter; Black lotus is supposed to be overpowered. But I'll defer to your judgement.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

When and how will we decide on rules of the game e.g. win conditions? As of now it looks like we're building an unplayable game with diverse but ultimately directionless cards.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:I meant the latter; Black lotus is supposed to be overpowered. But I'll defer to your judgement.
Ok.

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:When and how will we decide on rules of the game e.g. win conditions? As of now it looks like we're building an unplayable game with diverse but ultimately directionless cards.
You can add cards that give win conditions. bouer has already added one. I'll add another one shortly to demonstrate.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

4 of Diamonds - Royal Reunion - The n'th time this card is played, the (n%3 + 1)th goal on this card is activated and the other goals on this card are deactivated. When a goal is achieved, a player claims, reveals their cards, and wins. Goal 1: Acquire a King of each suit. Goal 2: Acquire a Queen of each Suit. Goal 3: Acquire a Jack of each suit. - Gotta Catch 'em All

orangedragonfire

Re: Nomaoic Beta [12/52 Cards Created]

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

6 of Diamonds - Duplicate - When you play this card, give a copy of it to a player of your choice. If the previously played card is an Ace, give an additional copy to a player of your choice. - Go forth and multiply.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:39 am UTC

4 of Hearts - Transmutation (Snark)
5 of Hearts - 7 of Hearts (ODF)
Ace of Hearts - Togetherness (Bouer)
-----------------------------------------------------
10 of Spades - Cardtrick (ODF)
Knave of Spades - Thief (Bouer)
Ace of Spades - Ace in the Hole (Nylonathatep)
-------------------------------------------------------
4 of Diamonds - Royal Reunion (Snark)
6 of Diamonds - Duplicate (ODF)
7 of Diamonds - Change (ODF)
King of Diamonds - Professor Oak (Dr.Dre)
------------------------------------------------------
2 of Clubs - Repetition (ODF)
8 of Clubs - Gravity (patzer)
Ace of Clubs - Black Lotus (thecamoninja)

4 of Spades - Death: Whenever a player is forced to discard a card from his/her hand, reveal 4 of Spades instead and that players discard a card at random instead. Whenever you play this card, all other player choose and discard a card from their hand. "Death, but not for you.. gunslinger." - Walter O'l Dim

(edited... cuz no one likes losing lolz)
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:55 am UTC

What do you mean by "lose"? I don't think kicking players out of the game early is very fun.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:05 am UTC

8 of Clubs - Gravity: Gravity pulls everything down. If a player has this card, every time they play a card, all of their cards drop in value by 1. i.e. a 3 becomes a 2, a 2 becomes an Ace, an Ace becomes a King, a King becomes a Queen, a Queen becomes a Jack, a Jack becomes a 10, et cetera. Suits are not affected. The effects do not apply to the Gravity card itself. When the player has got rid of all their Gravity cards, the effects apply for that turn but are stopped for subsequent turns.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 am UTC

So players have to publily announce the number of gravity cards they have each time they play a card? So that other players know how to interpret the played card?

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Snark wrote:So players have to publily announce the number of gravity cards they have each time they play a card? So that other players know how to interpret the played card?

It only affects the cards in the player's hand, so that isn't necessary.
Example:
PlayerX has 9 of Clubs, 10 of Hearts, 2 of Spades, King of Hearts, and Ace of Diamonds. He can't play, so he draws a card. It is the 8 of Clubs.

His next turn comes, and he plays the 10 of Hearts normally. His other cards (apart from the 8) drop by 1. New hand: 8 of Clubs, another 8 of Clubs, Ace of Spades, Queen of Hearts, and King of Diamonds. Playing the 10 of Hearts was a normal turn and he doesn't need to tell the other players he has a gravity card.

Next turn comes, he plays Ace of Spades normally. New hand: 8 of Clubs, another 8 of Clubs, Jack of Hearts, and Queen of Diamonds.

Next turn comes, he plays an 8 of Clubs normally. New hand: 8 of Clubs, 10 of Hearts, and Jack of Diamonds.

Next turn comes, he plays the 8 of Clubs normally. New hand: 9 of Hearts and 10 of Diamonds.

Next turn comes, he plays the 9 of Hearts normally. The effects of the gravity card are no longer in effect. New hand: 10 of Diamonds.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

bouer

Postby bouer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 am UTC

2 of Spades - Double Trouble

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 am UTC

Queen of Hearts - Promotion for all Pawns. After you play this card, all the other cards in your hand become Queens. Beware the Queen army!

Return to “Forum Games”