Python Editor

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

dream_noir

Python Editor

Postby dream_noir » Fri May 16, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

I've been using emacs to edit python code for the last week or so (everyone else I work with seems to use it so I figured why not) but.. it's driving my crazy. I have issues with copying and pasting (weird keys and I always end up with bits of code in random places they shouldn't be) and highlight (beyond a screenful causes major lag.. next thing you know everything is highlighted). I looked at using vim since I know it better there are issues with it to.

Are there any windows based editors you could recomend? Something along the lines of the eclipse editor maybe, although I don't need a full blown IDE. Thanks.

darren

Re: Python Editor

Postby darren » Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

Last edited by darren on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

I use VIM...

Also, Textmate but thats OS X only. GVim is nice, and it makes it a lot easier to use VIM if you don't know all the commands well enough. It also has syntax highlighting.

If your on OS X I'd recommend Textmate, or if your on windows you can use E Text Editor. E Text Editor is a clone of Textmate that can use the textmate bundles (Language tools, includes syntax highlighting and snippets and a bunch of other useful things). http://e-texteditor.com/ It has to have cygwin installed to run most of the unix commands that textmate relies on. You can write bundles for textmate in just about any language, although php and ruby are the two most common. It has support for a large number of languages, http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/Bundles/ that you can checkout from their SVN repo.

I don't know if anyones made a linux port of Textmate yet.

GVim has syntax highlighting for just about everything. More than textmate. Vim (or GVim) also has a pretty large base for support.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 am UTC

IDLE is a pretty neat and lightweight python editor that comes bundled with python on windows. It's nothing fancy, but it has all the small things you'd expect of a code-editing tool up to and including a debugger.

Whenever I write anything larger than a one-off module I use PyDev for eclipse. If you're already using eclipse, then you might consider installing that.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Jach

Postby Jach » Sat May 17, 2008 6:19 am UTC

I use and love vim... Though my .vimrc file is 16 lines long. And I have had issues copying/pasting with the shell vim (tabbing out of control), which is why I occasionally use gvim for those those things.

SPE (Stani's Python Editor) is pretty cool though. When you're calling methods from objects a non-intrusive pop-up comes up with a listing of all the methods and such (as if you ran dir() on it), that way you don't have to remember every single thing (it auto-completes with tab too). And when you start calling a function a popup will come up with its documentation. Then you also have a Python interpreter open right underneath your program so you can test little things really quickly without having to go to the shell.

http://pythonide.stani.be/ Check it out. I rarely use it but I still think it's cool.
I love reading quotes.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Sun May 18, 2008 8:00 am UTC

IDLE is nice but its execution environment can have some strange side-effects if you're coding something with an event loop.

Also its interactive session is completely different to the readline approach, which can be alien (IIRC it's based on the old PythonWin setup from waaay back).

Personally I use VIM using the shipped python mode stuff and some additional macros to warn about leading tabs (they're highlighted red - very useful).

arcoain

Postby arcoain » Tue May 20, 2008 12:58 am UTC

i've heard nice things about notepad++ (for windows)
arcoain

<(bLYaUn)>

Postby <(bLYaUn)> » Tue May 20, 2008 1:18 am UTC

TextMate is awesome for almost any language in my opinion. I love the awesome themes (Emacs Strict ftw!) and the "speed boost" in coding that the bundles provide me. However, it might makes sense for you to stick it out with emacs. Supposedly, it takes weeks to get used to it, but the payoff is a huge increase in overall productivity.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue May 20, 2008 3:25 am UTC

dream_noir wrote:I've been using emacs to edit python code for the last week or so (everyone else I work with seems to use it so I figured why not) but.. it's driving my crazy. I have issues with copying and pasting (weird keys and I always end up with bits of code in random places they shouldn't be) and highlight (beyond a screenful causes major lag.. next thing you know everything is highlighted). I looked at using vim since I know it better there are issues with it to.

Are there any windows based editors you could recomend? Something along the lines of the eclipse editor maybe, although I don't need a full blown IDE. Thanks.
Try lazy-lock-mode (use M-x lazy-lock-mode to activate it). It should help with the lag issues.

You also might prefer XEmacs. It behaves basically the same way, but I find it generally nicer, especially for Windows.
<(bLYaUn)> wrote:However, it might makes sense for you to stick it out with emacs. Supposedly, it takes weeks to get used to it, but the payoff is a huge increase in overall productivity.
This. It took me about 6 weeks to equal my speed in other text editors in emacs. Now I am about 3 times faster doing basic editing tasks in emacs. (Obviously, I still type at the same speed, but I can do things like copy, paste, search, regex-find-replace, etc. very fast in emacs.)

e946

Postby e946 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 am UTC

linux->KDE->Kate

Not so much because of preference as because of familiarity. It's really the only one I've used.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 am UTC

I've been using Geany for C, C++, and PHP, it's nice except the number keys at the side of the keyboard don't work. <_<
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

psykx

Postby psykx » Tue May 20, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I've been using Geany for C, C++, and PHP, it's nice except the number keys at the side of the keyboard don't work. <_<

that sounds wierd, excuse the n00b question but do you have num lock on?

I use kwrite for most stuff even if I have a proper IDE (eclipse for java, zend IDE for php and I'm playing with ones for C)
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

Of course I do. It has some shortcuts bound to those keys that can't be changed.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 am UTC

PyDev for Eclipse is nice. Unfortunately, you need to use Eclipse to benefit from it :-(

Return to “Coding”