Visual Web Developer, Worth the Trouble?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Visual Studio?

Very good programming suite.
13%
Terrible, heathen scum.
13%
Some programmes are worth using.
38%
Microsoft sucks balls.
38%

Total votes: 8

Herr Mors

Visual Web Developer, Worth the Trouble?

Postby Herr Mors » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 am UTC

I am currently in the process of downloading Visual Studio's Visual Web Developer(from the express editions). I was wondering if there are any opinions of the kind of work it can do, or if it teaches bad habits, or does any of the things that people say Visual Basic does. My dad wants to do a flash website for his work, but I want to see if this can do any good work as well.

-Herr Mors

Jach

Re: Visual Web Developer, Worth the Trouble?

Postby Jach » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 am UTC

My only suggestion is this. Before you go off making a flash website that takes system resources from the user and implements few or no effects that could not be done in DHTML, think about it and decide if it's really worth the effort and irritation to several users. (Flash is sometimes worse than Java applets, at least in my experience.)

As for Visual Studio, I'm kind of anti-Microsoft, so I better not say anything more. =P
I love reading quotes.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:22 am UTC

No clue about doing web development with it, but for coding in C++ I have yet to use something better.

canuckotter

Postby canuckotter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

If you're doing ASP.NET with heavy coding, or if you're doing web services with ASP.NET, then VS is good, in my experience. For simpler sites... honestly, don't bother. Get Dreamweaver if you can. Failing that, get any of the various enhanced text editors (TextPad is my preference, for no other reason than familiarity) or even just Notepad.

The Visual Studio web stuff isn't bad, it's just not (in my experience) likely to actually save you much effort over what a decent text editor can provide, and it does get in the road and do some stupid things sometimes.
Masuri wrote:I would like to clone you and replace every development person in my company with your flesh copies, sir.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

canuckotter wrote:Failing that, get any of the various enhanced text editors (TextPad is my preference, for no other reason than familiarity) or even just Notepad.

Oh god, don't do this. Please, save your sanity. ;-)

Another suggestion in the "enhanced text editor" category is Notepad++, and you could also look at Emacs and Vim. The latter are [much] harder to learn, but [much] more powerful.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

Visual studio should be used for windows desktop development.

That is it. VB or Visual C, but nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with dreamweaver for visual web development, if you're creating and implementing a full scale website.

Notepad ++ or programmers notepad, or hell even Eclipse for your simple dev. needs.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

I swear if this turns into yet another thread where everybody lists their favorite text editor and IDE, I'm gonna pull this forum over and start smacking people around.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

canuckotter

Postby canuckotter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
canuckotter wrote:Failing that, get any of the various enhanced text editors (TextPad is my preference, for no other reason than familiarity) or even just Notepad.

Oh god, don't do this. Please, save your sanity. ;-)

I taught web development about 7 years ago... I forced the students to build their web pages in Notepad for the first two days so they'd learn that they don't need a fancy editor to create HTML pages. Then I'd take pity on them and let them use TextPad for the remainder of the 3-week intro course. :lol:

But yeah, my central point is... For ordinary DHTML stuff, you're not going to get any significant advantage using VS instead of even a basic text editor. It does make a decent text editor itself, but try to avoid the temptation to use it to build the HTML for you.
Masuri wrote:I would like to clone you and replace every development person in my company with your flesh copies, sir.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

canuckotter wrote:I taught web development about 7 years ago... I forced the students to build their web pages in Notepad for the first two days so they'd learn that they don't need a fancy editor to create HTML pages. Then I'd take pity on them and let them use TextPad for the remainder of the 3-week intro course. :lol:

But yeah, my central point is... For ordinary DHTML stuff, you're not going to get any significant advantage using VS instead of even a basic text editor. It does make a decent text editor itself, but try to avoid the temptation to use it to build the HTML for you.

My intro to programming professor told us we had to write in notepad, and compile using command line. I think most people did that for about a week, I just added a macro to Eclipse to make sure it compiled and ran fine. I don't see any reason you should use notepad or something over a well built IDE. :P

The only thing I would probably agree with, is that its better for a beginner not to use any 'auto code generation', thats a quick way to have no idea what you're doing later on.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:The only thing I would probably agree with, is that its better for a beginner not to use any 'auto code generation', thats a quick way to have no idea what you're doing later on.

That's exactly why most people will insist on a plain text editor. A lot of people who use an IDE from the beginning have no idea what they're doing, just that it works.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

*sigh* OK, this is heading off into same old same old land. I don't think the OP is going to get much more useful information out of this that he can't get from one of the other threads on this subject. Locked.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Return to “Coding”