Program for coding in Java on a Mac

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Savoy_Truffle

Program for coding in Java on a Mac

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, I figured someone here would know....

Does anyone know of a good Java Editor or IDE (I think that's what it was called) that I can download (preferably for free, as I am but a poor student) for my writing/compiling/testing uses? I've found a couple, although I'd prefer it if I could run on a Mac.... Thanks in advance for any answers!
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

I would say your best bet is Eclipse. And it's written in Java, so the runtime is at least in memory already when you are using it.

http://www.eclipse.org/

Agentlien

Postby Agentlien » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

Someone beat me to recommending Eclipse.. Yes, indeed. It is really good. :)

The only danger is that if you're actually learning the language, eclipse can be a bit too helpful for you to learn to keep from making errors (you may learn to depend on its abilities to point out errors you've made rather than learning not to make them to start with.)
You C, I aim to Assemble a PERL of knowledge, helpful FOR TRANsit to new languages.
___
When writing a report, always include valid references. You never know when the Garbage Collector may stop by.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Eclipse is basically the recommended one. It's probably the most popular these days, and just VERY, VERY powerful.

Another popular one is Netbeans, which is developed by Sun. This also includes a GUI designer. I've never used it, but it is there.

http://www.netbeans.org/products/?intcmp=1284

Then there's BlueJ, which was designed particularly for education. It uses a few nonstandard features in order to achieve this, and I don't know how easy it would be to use it on its own. But a lot simpler than the above two.

http://www.bluej.org/

I would recommend Eclipse, just because it's so customizable and powerful. If it gets overwhelming, Im sure there's some good online guide somewhere.

GMontag

Re: Program for coding in Java on a Mac

Postby GMontag » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Doesn't XCode do Java?

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

I'd say probably start with bluej, as it has some very helpful stuff for people new to java.

Once you start getting frustrated with it's limitations, switch to eclipse.

One other as-of-yet-unmentioned benefit is the plugin ability. This can turn eclipse into and ide for any language. Also, you can upgrade it with stuff you want (for instance, a visual editor).
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

<insert witty name>

Postby <insert witty name> » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

GMontag wrote:Doesn't XCode do Java?

Yes, XCode supports Java. But in my opinion Eclipse is far better.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

BlueJ is completely awesome. I tried Eclipse, but there was too much stuff there and it just confused me. BlueJ is uncluttered and has a very obvious visual interface. The only problem is that for some reason, it's getting confused on one of my programs and ignoring the existance of a method. Ah well.

So yeah. BlueJ.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 am UTC

XCode does Java. In fact, XCode provides system native widgets for Java. That said, wait until Friday. You'll be able to get the latest version of XCode without having to wait forever to download the roughly 1 gb disk image. Of course, if you can't wait that long, and you've got a fairly fat pipe, here's the link to XCode 2.4. There is no charge for the download, but you will need to associate your Apple account with a free community developer account.

Of course, if you want to use system native widgets, you'll have to forgo compatibility with other platforms. Therefore, if you're going to use Java, I seriously recommend against importing the Cocoa stuff if the whole write-once-run-anywhere is the game you want to play.

Otherwise, you've also got Eclipse and Netbeans, both of which have been linked in this thread.

The one thing I do mourn, however, is the lack of Java 1.6 for OS X. On a performance test, Java 1.5 took twice as long to run binary search as Java 1.6 on the same hardware (the MacBook I'm working on right now, only running Linux natively). I have heard that we'll actually get the update on Friday.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

duaneb

Postby duaneb » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

I highly recommend TextMate. It's even more mac-like that xcode and it even works correctly. The java bundle includes text-highlighting, documentation, and code-completion. Sadly, no debugging, but hopefully you won't need it.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

A good all around text editor is gvim. It should have preprogrammed sytax highlighting for just about any language you can think of. It should run on just about any *nix, which should include OSX.

It's not an IDE, but if you're looking for something simpler than the other suggestions, it is quite nice.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

Well, I'll put in a vote for Sun's NetBeans IDE, which like Eclipse is written in Java so it should run wherever you have a 1.5 JRE. I personally prefer NetBeans to Eclipse, although I must admit that it's been a long time since I've used Eclipse.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:59 am UTC

duaneb wrote:I highly recommend TextMate. It's even more mac-like that xcode and it even works correctly. The java bundle includes text-highlighting, documentation, and code-completion. Sadly, no debugging, but hopefully you won't need it.

Not free.

Eclipse is still the best free one?

duaneb

Postby duaneb » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Oh, well if you're looking for FREE things, I'd do eclipse. It's the perfect free ide.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

Netbeans is free(as in beer, at least. I'm not sure if the license counts as a free software license).

Return to “Coding”